Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I remember Alex saying on the podcast that they don’t because it wouldn’t work anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
He's said that they don't structure it so that the race is tight coming into the final episode, because between subjective tasks and studio stuff it would be way too unpredictable.

However, it would be pretty trivial to throw two objectively good tasks and a subjective one you think they did pretty good in to the same episode. That at least gives them a shot, though it's not guaranteed.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I like how in Series 6, Alice crushed it in the first episode, followed by failing spectacularly for the rest of the series.

They should have given Judi the win in the first episode to recreate that magic.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the editors could try, but I think since Greg is largely uninvolved with the production process, it's pretty unpredictable how he will judge a lot of the tasks. He could've easily decided to penalize Judy for getting Alex to help her and not been impressed with the fish heads, and then there's nothing going for her this episode. Just like how if he had gone for the bicycle, she would've won the episode.

There's also basically no way to predict how the stage task will go, and the stage tasks that have sort of winner-take-all or all-or-nothing scoring probably really messes with the balance, although it also means that anyone could win many of these episodes.

I was really expecting for some kind of twist on the cup-snake task, like a "go do something with this cup snake" task to immediately follow it, because it seemed pretty basic.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

They can't rig it so giving someone a win works 100% percent without rigging everything 100% (might as well predetermine the series winner then), but I'm sure they notice how people are generally doing in the edit and might try to nudge things by grouping an overall obvious loser's good moments in one episode and that sort of thing.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Judy is the only person who hasn't been on the podcast yet, and they tend to have current contestants on when they have an episode with a highlight for them... so hopefully she's got some time in the sun in the last ep.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I do think they sometimes stack the deck to try to give an episode win to a contestant who otherwise has done quite badly and is definitely not going to win the series, but there is only so far they can go with that since they can't really predict how the prize round or the studio task will go.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I do think they sometimes stack the deck to try to give an episode win to a contestant who otherwise has done quite badly and is definitely not going to win the series, but there is only so far they can go with that since they can't really predict how the prize round or the studio task will go.

Yeah and on top of that, as the season goes on and the more subjective tasks add up it gets harder for them to find a set of good tasks for an underperformer as they have less filmed tasks to choose from.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Greg's scoring has been increasingly more erratic as well. In season 1, a huge proportion of the tasks Alex basically just gave the points on a rubric without Greg's input. Then he started injecting himself more into the scoring. Then he completely stopped caring about the rules altogether (remember when in team tasks there were 5 points to split, no exceptions?). And the amount of 2, 3, and even 4 way ties, not to mention the bonus points!

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Yeah, I am finding the number of ties this season to be irritating, in a "this has absolutely no stakes and doesn't matter." Largely when someone I like should get four or five, but ends up having to share it.

Also, Greg has seemed reluctant to honor "5 or naught" team tasks: I believe there have been two where he ended up giving points to the losing team regardless.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
In the first season, team tasks were different again: a fixed 2 points/0 points awarded. Swedish Taskmaster is rigid in awarding 3 and 0 in team tasks to this day.

I don't mind the current approach of 5 points to the victors, x points to the other team. Arguably the only thing that really matters in scoring a team task is the difference between winning and losing. 5 points/3 points and 2 points/0 points have identical effects on the standings in both the episode and the series.

What's really changed is an increase in flexibility when it comes to differentiating the performances. In the first season the difference could only be 2, when it's 5 points to share the difference can be 1, 3 or 5, and in the current 5 to X system the difference can be anything . Does Greg effectively explore the whole range of scoring and use it in a fair and rational way? As if he cares...

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I take a Whose line is it anyway approach and really don't give a gently caress about how it's pointed. As long as it's funny that's all that matters.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Greg has been having a lot of "magnanimous" moments where he ties people and pulls them up in the scoring, but what it ends up being the equivalent to reducing the overall amount of points he gives out, because every time he does it, the less the contestants separate in score.

I think he's losing a bit of his killer instinct and vaguely threatening aura.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Aphex- posted:

I take a Whose line is it anyway approach and really don't give a gently caress about how it's pointed. As long as it's funny that's all that matters.

Same. The only time the scores annoy me are when the overall winner is someone who wasn't actually the funniest to watch and they're taking the place of someone else I'd rather seen in champion of champions later. In that regard I don't think "fairer" scoring would make any impact.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Aphex- posted:

This is correct.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Greg has been having a lot of "magnanimous" moments where he ties people and pulls them up in the scoring, but what it ends up being the equivalent to reducing the overall amount of points he gives out, because every time he does it, the less the contestants separate in score.

I think he's losing a bit of his killer instinct and vaguely threatening aura.

Yeah, although in series 10 he was really cutthroat about point scoring. Especially with some of their dogshit prize tasks.

He needs less contemporaries and more "students" he can lord over. He's the best when he's scaring the poo poo out of a giggly, unruly class.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
I remember a very funny moment in the watch party stream for Taskmaster NZ where Jeremy tried to venture that sitting in the taskmaster's chair is pretty tricky, and all six of them immediately shut that down with derision! But maybe Jeremy had a point - what does a good taskmaster need to bring?

Top of the list is usually a commanding authority - and this is key in any panel show, not just Taskmaster. Have I Got News For You had to get rid of Angus Deaton because he lost face and couldn't take charge. But I feel like the average guest host also comes up short in this department, and the show never really recovered in my book. I do like how Taskmaster has built this necessary feature into the fiction of the show.

I think it's also very important to have someone who is very involved in what they see - really enjoys seeing something funny, revels in the failures, loves seeing the occasional success. Particularly if they can pick out and relive the best quotes or moments - or ask the questions everyone wants answered after what we just saw. There's not much point hiring five court jesters if you aren't going to be entertained by their performances.

But I think one of the lesser-celebrated qualities in a good taskmaster is the ability to split hairs. Being able to look at two excellent performances, but find that one special quality that differentiates gold from silver. Likewise, being able to look at two atrocious failures, and find a saving grace in one of them. Greg has slowly let this slide a bit more than he did at the very start of the show. But he's far from the worst at this internationally - Jaakko from the Finnish version is particularly prone to this. He's a really good taskmaster in lots of ways, but I feel he's far too quick to shrug his shoulders and give out the same score to more or all the competitors.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I wonder if the tongue/spit task would have been way shorter if they chosen a different taste from sour, like just got with chili pepper hottness.

Also has the UK had a game show scandle like the US , a scandle so bad that Congress got involved?

spongbob alternating case meme "its about ethics in gameshows"

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_British_premium-rate_phone-in_scandal

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
"I was genuinely surprised to see a man walk in with a human baby."

"And that's what's wrong with society!"

Judi Love is my favorite quote machine of this season, but Bridget should never be discounted.

EDIT: I'm also now invested in Judi winning an episode because I do legitimately think she's gotten screwed a couple of times. I don't know if those examples made her lose an episode but I don't care

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 13, 2022

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Can't mention TV phone in scandals without the Talking Telephone Numbers incident from the 90s where they accidentally fast forwarded through a supposedly live programme. This video of it shows it twice, once exactly as it went out, and once with the backstage audio from the production gallery with them all making GBS threads themselves and trying to work out how to cover, including a sweary Philip Schofield https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ze2QK_2fSo

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Isomermaid posted:

Can't mention TV phone in scandals without the Talking Telephone Numbers incident from the 90s where they accidentally fast forwarded through a supposedly live programme. This video of it shows it twice, once exactly as it went out, and once with the backstage audio from the production gallery with them all making GBS threads themselves and trying to work out how to cover, including a sweary Philip Schofield https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ze2QK_2fSo

This is such a nerdy thing to enjoy, but I wish there were more gallery loopback crises to watch. There's a pretty good One O'clock News one where all the segments are running late.

Random task idea: the Channel Four series have occasionally taken tasks from the Dave era and reproduced them for a wider audience, with just enough of a tweak to make them fresh for the long term fans. Based on the previous success of the "Taskmaster Movie Trailer" and "Soap Cliffhanger" tasks, I humbly submit
code:
Create the most exciting "Previously on Taskmaster..." recap video.

Most exciting recap video wins.

Probably best as a team task because watching five of them might get a bit repetitive. My initial impulse is probably quite bad, I'd try to reference 24 with lots of shots of Alex's ipad countdown clock. A decidedly uncool and dated approach...

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Heavy_D posted:

Random task idea: the Channel Four series have occasionally taken tasks from the Dave era and reproduced them for a wider audience, with just enough of a tweak to make them fresh for the long term fans. Based on the previous success of the "Taskmaster Movie Trailer" and "Soap Cliffhanger" tasks, I humbly submit
code:
Create the most exciting "Previously on Taskmaster..." recap video.

Most exciting recap video wins.

Probably best as a team task because watching five of them might get a bit repetitive. My initial impulse is probably quite bad, I'd try to reference 24 with lots of shots of Alex's ipad countdown clock. A decidedly uncool and dated approach...

You want them to do video editing of archive material, for 1h, inside the taskmaster house, as a task :what:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Isomermaid posted:

is that katherine parkinson in the mcdonalds commercial at 14:30?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

is that katherine parkinson in the mcdonalds commercial at 14:30?

It's definitely her, even though there seems to be no mention of it on the internet.

E: Or it might be Amanda Abbington.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beJzxaYzUqk

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 15, 2022

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

You want them to do video editing of archive material, for 1h, inside the taskmaster house, as a task :what:

If they tried to do that, I hope Alex would ask "Is that going to be the most exciting footage?" in a pointed way, until they realised they could spend their time filming something more over-the-top. An exaggerated parody, climaxing with a shot of them gathered round a phone in the study

Bad Greg impression (V/O) "This is Greg. I've heard what's happened...and I'm coming to the house!"

Cut to worried reactions

FIN

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Heavy_D posted:

This is such a nerdy thing to enjoy, but I wish there were more gallery loopback crises to watch. There's a pretty good One O'clock News one where all the segments are running late.

Plugging my playlist again, although it’s less fuckups and more just cool stuff.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLb7pJxUZNgl7dMmXm-iGDCX0n648U7FyD

Maybe I’ll add the One O’Clock News one. There is one where an earthquake goes off just before the news starts. Challenger disaster on NASA TV and 9/11 on CNN director tracks. Very interesting perspective.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm going to be a boring prick and say the £50 task would've been better if they actually had to have something delivered using that money, rather than get a friend's baby or dress a man in stuff.

I really hope Sophie found somewhere that delivers beautiful baskets full of worms. I imagine she had it on her bookmarks already.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The early episodes of the Suurmestari S3 were pretty boring, but the season is picking up speed; the episodes 5-7 are going towards the "esoteric mess and chaos" and I like it. :)

But still, the actual Grandmaster, Jaakko Saariluoma isn't cutting it this season. He seems to be bored, and doesn't actually engage with the contestants to the degree he did earlier. There hasn't been any of that "f**k you" "No f**k YOU"-style banter in any of the episodes we had earlier.

I also hate the fact that they seem to cut most of the "outside of the box"-approaches that UK Taskmaster had on same or similar tasks. Although I think that at least one contestant is familiar with the UK show; she did the same "buy a title of lordship" for "get a present"-task. Although she bough him "ladyship".

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Have to say I was a little bemused to see that in the same episode of Suurmestari they took two multipart UK tasks and each time did the setup without the payoff: "tie yourself up" without the boiler suit klaxon AND "put 50 different things into the bin" without having to use them later to make a portrait. Really strange decision making...

Finale time, we have a winner! Congrats to the champion of series 13, Sophie Ducker, who really went for it hard on many occasions. And while Ardal has been sniping away all season, I think "The House Queens... and Bez" is on another level entirely. Also have to say that Alex trying desperately to fix the chain on his bike while Judi shuffles backwards towards him was like something out of a horror film...

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

you put an aubergine in my mouuuthhh

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
When Greg said that Alex was in complete agony for that bike task I thought he was being real and they were gonna show whatever had caused him an actual injury that we know happened either this season or the next one possibly but he just meant "you were in agony cause you were cycling a pretty heavy bike in a suit and probably quite warm". Obviously I'm not expecting them to show it but that was where my mind went both then and also when those sausages started spinning in the cement mixer as fast as they did I thought to myself "could a sausage hitting you hard enough damage your eye socket?".

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 17, 2022

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Always nice when a contestant I liked from the beginning wins. Although, everyone had their moments, and it only makes sense that this series had the highest scored last place.

Wish they could make final episodes more special somehow. I imagine the show's format and budget don't really allow for that, and keeping the more elaborate and flashy tasks evenly spread out works better for attracting casual viewers, but there's always a certain lack of finality to it all.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Sophie deserved it in the end.

And the much repeated meme, for non-Brits at least, is:

First episode: I don't know who any of these people are.
Last episode: I'm going to miss this idiots.

But this is the first series that that didn't happen for me. After 10 episodes, I still don't give a gently caress about Judi Love, and in fact, may be actively annoyed by her.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

aw' they were all doing a Bridget Christie dance at the very end as the credits rolled.

This was a solid as heck season. Best one's are where all the contestants feel like buds by the end, and this one had that camaraderie, Ardell be damned.

oh jay posted:

Sophie deserved it in the end.

And the much repeated meme, for non-Brits at least, is:

First episode: I don't know who any of these people are.
Last episode: I'm going to miss this idiots.

But this is the first series that that didn't happen for me. After 10 episodes, I still don't give a gently caress about Judi Love, and in fact, may be actively annoyed by her.

Agree on the first point, but disagree super hard on the later. Her defense of her prize task in this episode had me on the floor.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
This is my favorite series, even beating Series 7 and NZ Series 2. It was magnificent.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

thebardyspoon posted:

When Greg said that Alex was in complete agony for that bike task I thought he was being real and they were gonna show whatever had caused him an actual injury that we know happened either this season or the next one possibly but he just meant "you were in agony cause you were cycling a pretty heavy bike in a suit and probably quite warm". Obviously I'm not expecting them to show it but that was where my mind went both then and also when those sausages started spinning in the cement mixer as fast as they did I thought to myself "could a sausage hitting you hard enough damage your eye socket?".

I think he said at the time he was in a bin that got tipped over, so I guess that task didn't make the cut.

Anyway, I'm so glad that the person who won did. They were my favorite from the first episode and I think that's the first time the person I'm rooting for has pulled it off.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Same. Thought they’d win. Wasn’t disappointed.

What a fantastic series.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

exmarx posted:

sophie duker rules

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

exmarx posted:

sophie ducker rules

:twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

This show is just the right thing these days. I haven't laughed as hard as I did through this series for some time. This cast was just a joy and I'm so glad my favorite contestant won.