Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

this I agree with in its entirety, and I think one of the problems is that the depth of the trauma hasn't been acknowledged with or dealt with.

open biden! time to go back to the office & school after we've made you afraid of going outside your home for the last two years!

the 2 sociopolitical things that were the most striking to me at the beginning of the pandemic:

1. How quickly the government started handing out aid, probably to quell social unrest. Go on medicaid; we won't check, or make you pay it back! Here's a living wage of $600/week in unemployment on top of whatever pittance your state pays! Even contractors can get it! Loans, who wants a loan? If you spend it on anything business related you won't even have to pay it back! Those student-loan payments that've been eating up 25 percent of your paycheck? Presto, they're gone! Have some expanded SNAP while we're at it. gently caress means-testing students for government meals. Look at what we can do when we set our mind to it, even if it's out of fear!

2. How quickly government services fell apart (and to this day, many still haven't recovered). From fubar'd unemployment comp to ssa/medicare to the irs the movement toward austerity in state & federal governmental agencies propelled by shoveling contracts to for-profits & ngo's who were political allies (read: donors) was finally attaining grover norquist's utopian ideal.

there was a lot of other poo poo that bothered me, from the distillation of pandemic approaches based on political "sides" to the optics of (even still today!) a masked servant class catering to financial & political elites, but those two things were the ones that blew me away the most, mainly bc of their rapidity.

the entire pandemic was basically a non-stop corporate looting spree on an unprecedented scale, and afterwards they started shamelessly whining about their lost profits even after getting trillions conjured out of nothing solely for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

"nobody wants to work anymore" i say as my family is crushed to death by the sheer volume of money constantly pouring through every single window in my mansion

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/AlissaAzar/status/1535715747288465408

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

i have to agree with the nazis here, pet grooming is such a stupid pointless industry. My city has a boutique dog grooming/pet shop on every loving block. I even saw a truck that operates as a mobile dog groomatorium

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

okay groomer

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/MattBruenig/status/1535693649840902144?s=20&t=r2QH9cyyNbExhDevTESWWw

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Pull the string and the Kamala doll will cackle awkwardly for you.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

sorry Smythe your gf can't play with your doll

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

i accept willa's haunting because i remember when she was warning us about obummer back in lf and whatnot, i probably antagonized her and deserve it

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Calibanibal posted:

i have to agree with the nazis here, pet grooming is such a stupid pointless industry. My city has a boutique dog grooming/pet shop on every loving block. I even saw a truck that operates as a mobile dog groomatorium

well you should save up for bail because the Big Groomer industry won today...

https://twitter.com/AlissaAzar/status/1535737618121363456

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

Finally, a definitive list of nonsensical reasons to punish enemies & ignore for the pets, one that is breathtaking & unassailable in its idiot scope, harkening back to the high-point modding days of vilerat & evilweasel, with an assist by elpintogrande.

A truly admirable way to restore dnd to its humble port-a-potty beginnings. :bravo:

Lol I woke up to a sixer on a pretty anodyne post from an IK I've never heard of citing "Rule 1" without even a sub letter like everyone else got. Somehow being mildly critical of another poster's worldview is "impeding discussion" in some unspecified way. Not sure if it's dumber than getting probed for making a prediction but it's close

Meet the new management, same as the old management

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Rule 1 is don't read or post in D&D

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Hahahahahahaha!

:suicide:

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Vim Fuego posted:

Actually I've got your Rule 1 right here brother [points to schlong]

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Vim Fuego posted:

:hai:

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/MattBruenig/status/1535693649840902144

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Someone screenshot that before Matty B deletes it

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Vim Fuego posted:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

*whips out magnifying glass* hold on I'm having trouble reading it

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Excelzior posted:

sorry Smythe your gf can't play with your doll

the doll stays in the jar

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

ages 3+ and ages 14+ :goofy:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lastgirl posted:

ages 3+ and ages 14+ :goofy:

https://twitter.com/hans_zek/status/1535694190079778817

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Vim Fuego posted:

Rule 1 is don't read or post in or about D&D

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Just wanted to say I don't have anything particularly of value to add but I appreciate the posts about the oppressive cultural trauma of poo poo being tremendously, increasingly hosed. I'm in a fairly privileged position yet I still just feel like garbage on top of my existing garbage. I feel crazy for it sometimes, like I don't have a right to be upset about the pandemic or fascists because I live in California and it's supposedly much more liberal than anywhere else.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Tiny Myers posted:

Just wanted to say I don't have anything particularly of value to add but I appreciate the posts about the oppressive cultural trauma of poo poo being tremendously, increasingly hosed. I'm in a fairly privileged position yet I still just feel like garbage on top of my existing garbage. I feel crazy for it sometimes, like I don't have a right to be upset about the pandemic or fascists because I live in California and it's supposedly much more liberal than anywhere else.

that's part of the lib okey-doke: that if you live in a blue state you are safe.

never mind if you were an old sent to the nursing-home death camp bc your dem governor allowed his campaign donors to write his executive orders giving the industry blanket pardons.

never mind if you got covid from the dorm-style living at your farm or from prison or from your group home for the developmentally disabled; you were either a migrant, a criminal or intellectually inferior, so what was the problem?

never mind if you were deemed "essential" and had to leave your kids alone to homeschool themselves while you delivered in-n-out to pampered assholes who paid more for the delivery than for the food.

never mind if you were losing your mind bc of social isolation; at least your gov is having a good time getting treated by lobbyists to dinner at some winery with a fey yet trendy name.

it could be worse... way worse! you could live in a chud state!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Lefty_Jew/status/1535759766009458688?t=TUCl6LaLyFUujdlluIqDWQ&s=19

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
https://twitter.com/PepitoTheCat/status/1535757469007347715

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

*whips out magnifying glass* hold on I'm having trouble reading it

:negative:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

hekaton posted:

KOOS! I place you in charge of D&D. Its yours to SQUEEZE, as i promised
I want you to SQUEEZE AND SQUEEZE AND SQUEEZE!

GIVE ME POSTS! PROBE THEM! BAN THEM INTO UTTER SUBMISSION!

lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I’ve see these retail IRL

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Political Funko Pops.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
more like Inaction Figures amirite

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

bernie vs. buttigieg: pick a side

(there've always been old assholes in congress, just as there've always been young assholes in congress. It's just that the olds in congress refuse to retire from a seniority-based system.)

The young assholes are easier to bulldoze aside or cow into submission because they have comparatively little power. The old assholes have decades worth of patronage networks, seniority (as mentioned), and a general sense of security in their position and contempt for their lessers that the young just haven't had time to fully cultivate. Old assholes are worse not because previous generations were particularly lovely, but because they have had the time to fortify their garbage positions.

Willa Rogers posted:

that's part of the lib okey-doke: that if you live in a blue state you are safe.

never mind if you were an old sent to the nursing-home death camp bc your dem governor allowed his campaign donors to write his executive orders giving the industry blanket pardons.

never mind if you got covid from the dorm-style living at your farm or from prison or from your group home for the developmentally disabled; you were either a migrant, a criminal or intellectually inferior, so what was the problem?

never mind if you were deemed "essential" and had to leave your kids alone to homeschool themselves while you delivered in-n-out to pampered assholes who paid more for the delivery than for the food.

never mind if you were losing your mind bc of social isolation; at least your gov is having a good time getting treated by lobbyists to dinner at some winery with a fey yet trendy name.

it could be worse... way worse! you could live in a chud state!

Yeah, don't forget George Floyd was murdered in a blue city in a blue state. Having team blue in charge of your state doesnt make it automatically easy street. You're still getting hosed by power, just with slightly different presentation and with a side of gaslighting.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Biden released some gas reserves to alleviate the pain of prices. Biden finally talked with the prince of Saudi Arabia, he hasn't talked with him prior to this. To let OPEC raise production. Lifting of sanctions against Venezuela and Iran is in the cards and talks has began afaik.

Okay I'm not disputing that Biden may or may not have done these things but have gas prices actually gone down or stabilized since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Where are the Trump toys? I want to collect the whole family.