Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

That last shot in the trailer reminded me of the XCOM reboot, and reading the tweet just solidifies it for me. I'll take Alien flavoured XCOM, yes please.

Btw, Happy Pride, from all your fav corporate friends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

I skimmed this without sound and it reminded me very strongly of a specific StarCraft FMV, the one on the science vessel.

Now I'll probably go and watch all the SC FMVs.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

The Zombie Guy posted:

That last shot in the trailer reminded me of the XCOM reboot, and reading the tweet just solidifies it for me. I'll take Alien flavoured XCOM, yes please.

I wonder how "slow" the slow down button goes. Are there any current games that use that mechanic? Not sure why you wouldn't just make it pause? Might end up being kinda mean if it leads to permanent death.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Xenocom sounds like a pretty cool idea but I'm not playing poo poo on my loving phone if that's what it is. My eyesight it prety poo poo and I've never found playing any games on that tiny little screen enjoyable. Most of the time I find myself wanting to throw that loving thing into the ocean because it never shuts the gently caress up.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It's for PC and console.

In this trailer they just released (which is not actual gameplay, more like cutscene stuff) they're not using the iconic sound of the pulse rifles and smartguns. Odd choice.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

The Zombie Guy posted:

Ok, so I'd say increase police funding if we had a bunch of gay ED-209s walking around.

Mister Speaker posted:

I skimmed this without sound and it reminded me very strongly of a specific StarCraft FMV, the one on the science vessel.

Now I'll probably go and watch all the SC FMVs.

My favorite video from that game. When I saw it (back when the game came out) I immediately thought of Aliens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqqEh-rWy_s

Cold fusion!

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The pulse rifle and smartgun don't use the iconic sound effects, 0/10.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Yeah some of them looked smaller too. I think. I don't know, the video was moving fast and I'm too lazy to look at it again.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I noticed that too

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah some of them looked smaller too. I think. I don't know, the video was moving fast and I'm too lazy to look at it again.

They're different guns.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:hai:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ok, so I'd say increase police funding if we had a bunch of gay ED-209s walking around.

My favorite video from that game. When I saw it (back when the game came out) I immediately thought of Aliens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqqEh-rWy_s

Cold fusion!

All these decades later and Starcraft is still the superior aliens video game. Crazy.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

that game / trailer looks like poo poo

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

Doctor Dogballs posted:

that game / trailer looks like poo poo

Yeah, it's this.

Isolation had a lot of love for the series in it. The dream is dead.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Well I thought it was very nice of the xenos to let the guy finish his recording before they killed him.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwLyT-GzdJk

Finally some new misssions

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

This is so good.

Iron Crowned posted:

Finally some new misssions

Hell yeah, maybe there'll be some people checking it out and I can hop back on and finally finish the first campaign.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I consumed some alcohol tonight and autocorrect Is saving my rear end but I wanted to let you all know that I am thinking about Aliens and it feels good :cheers:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

I consumed some alcohol tonight and autocorrect Is saving my rear end but I wanted to let you all know that I am thinking about Aliens and it feels good :cheers:

Same with the booze. Also....

:glomp:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Splicer posted:

The new class can have two flamethrowers so

Say no more

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Posting this tweet only because of the poster on the left, which I have never seen before. It’s pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/acroce66/status/1535680230790152192?s=21&t=r4tFuUxCCQr7e4Z4oGDnWQ

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Oh, good news is fireteam is getting new maps, bad news is it's a money costing expansion.

It looks pretty cool though.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

MrMojok posted:

Posting this tweet only because of the poster on the left, which I have never seen before. It’s pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/acroce66/status/1535680230790152192?s=21&t=r4tFuUxCCQr7e4Z4oGDnWQ

can i pick both? they are only comparable on the most superficial levels. Both are great movies, horror, thrillers, one is psychological, the other is sci-fi

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

can i pick both? they are only comparable on the most superficial levels. Both are great movies, horror, thrillers, one is psychological, the other is sci-fi

That guy usually picks movies that are thematically similar at least in some way, but not so much this time.

Has anyone ever seen the Alien poster before? I’d like to know where I can get it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The Shining movie was ok but a bit boring for me, even though I really like slow burns. The book was one of the best books I've ever read though.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

The Shining movie was ok but a bit boring for me, even though I really like slow burns. The book was one of the best books I've ever read though.

the best version of the shining was on the simpsons treehouse of horror

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

That's "Shinning", do ye want ta get sued?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Aren't there some sort of parody laws?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Aren't there some sort of parody laws?

yes. parody is protected by law

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

yes. parody is protected by law

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/parody#:~:text=Parody%20often%20serves%20as%20a,as%20a%20form%20of%20expression.

quote:

A parody takes a piece of creative work–such as art, literature, or film–and imitates it in an exaggerated, comedic fashion. Parody often serves as a criticism or commentary on the original work, the artist who created it, or something otherwise connected to the work. In the United States, parody is protected by the First Amendment as a form of expression. However, since parodies rely heavily on the original work, parodists rely on the fair use exception to combat claims of copyright infringement. The fair use exception is governed by the factors enumerated in section 107 of the Copyright Act: (1) the purpose and character of the use; (2) the nature of the original work; (3) the amount and substantiality of the original work used; and (4) the effect on the market value of the original work. Generally, courts are more likely to find that a parody qualifies as fair use if its purpose is to serve as a social commentary and not for purely commercial gain.

How do you think Weird Al got away with a few things that people didn't like? edit: actually I don't know how he did that but people like coolio were very unhappy

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/parody#:~:text=Parody%20often%20serves%20as%20a,as%20a%20form%20of%20expression.

How do you think Weird Al got away with a few things that people didn't like? edit: actually I don't know how he did that but people like coolio were very unhappy

weird al gets permission first, there was a miscommunication with coolio, so now he gets it directly from the artist, not their people

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

weird al gets permission first, there was a miscommunication with coolio, so now he gets it directly from the artist, not their people

Ok so now what about everything else that has ever done a parody?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Ok so now what about everything else that has ever done a parody?

did you just copy paste that and not read it?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
it's fair use

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Which covers parodies.

I think we're having a miscommunication thing. I apologize.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Weird Al asks for permission as a courtesy because he's a nice guy, but as stated, he doesn't have to. I think, aside from the Coolio thing, the only person to said no was Prince.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Weird Al asks for permission as a courtesy because he's a nice guy, but as stated, he doesn't have to. I think, aside from the Coolio thing, the only person to said no was Prince.

Paul McCartney said no to a parody of Live and Let Die (which would have been Chicken Pot Pie), because he's a vegetarian.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The Zombie Guy posted:

Paul McCartney said no to a parody of Live and Let Die (which would have been Chicken Pot Pie), because he's a vegetarian.

Similarly, Michael Jackson said no to a parody of "Black or White" that would've been called "Snack All Night", because it was one of his "message" songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Zombie Guy posted:

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Similarly, Michael Jackson said no to a parody of "Black or White" that would've been called "Snack All Night", because it was one of his "message" songs.

At this point I'm assuming that Weird Al also has a music vault, full of unreleased music, the way that Prince did.