Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

nine-gear crow posted:

Pablo Hidalgo was actually making fun of the people who were making fun of the guy who broke down crying at the sight of Action Figure Luke in Mando, trying to come to the guy's defense. The crying guy misinterpreted it was Hidalgo making fun of him, because he's a big time bad faith YouTube douche, and sicced his legion of fans on Hidalgo like a bruised ego rear end in a top hat would.

You're right, I was wrong. I edited my post.

Full-Disclosure: From my gateway drug of videos like "Mark Hamill Tried to Warn us About the Sequels" I eventually started getting a lot of questionable Star Wars YT videos in my suggestions and ended up watching way too many of them because I hated the sequels and really enjoyed watching other people bag on them.

It's annoying that the Venn diagram for people that hate the ST and internet racists has so much overlap because I think TLJ and ROS deserve every bit of mockery and derision they get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1535709374215118848
:allears:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I actually ended up listening to an interview he did while researching my retraction and anyone that got their start working at West End Games starts off good in my book.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

nine-gear crow posted:

Pablo Hidalgo was actually making fun of the people who were making fun of the guy who broke down crying at the sight of Action Figure Luke in Mando, trying to come to the guy's defense. The crying guy misinterpreted it was Hidalgo making fun of him, because he's a big time bad faith YouTube douche, and sicced his legion of fans on Hidalgo like a bruised ego rear end in a top hat would.

This is good to know. I was in the camp of secondhand information who thought Hidalgo was an rear end in a top hat who lucked into a job because he knew a lot of trivia and looks down on other fans. Nice to know that's not quite the case.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

It's annoying that the Venn diagram for people that hate the ST and internet racists has so much overlap because I think TLJ and ROS deserve every bit of mockery and derision they get.
Agreed

This is also a problem with Star Trek Discovery fans

No, I don't dislike the show because it has a lot of diverse characters. It's because it's an average Trek show on a good day.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

on the one hand you have youtube algo invaders like The Farting Nostalgiast and Drunk Fucker Reacts, who have bought mansions in malibu by getting PISSED at WOKE poo poo. On the other is the Disney, a evil company with infinite money that is making a product that sucks. as benicio del toro said in star wars, "there are guns on both sides, baby!"

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I posted pretty much this in the Star Wars CineD thread when I got home from seeing The Last Jedi, and shortly after reading the replies was about the time I decided to stop posting in the Star Wars CineD thread.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Thundercracker posted:

I do blame Kennedy for taking the Lord and Miller version of Solo from us. You can have comedy and emotional stakes. But apparently not in Star Wars

it was actually kasdan who got them fired because they were having too much fun with his epic emotional han solo origin story and improving over his lines and poo poo.

Kennedy had to listen to him but it was still him bitching that got the ball rolling.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Push El Burrito posted:

Rise of Skywalker ruled because it had Babu Frik which is one of the funniest Star War names.

His hilarious little laugh is too good for the junk movie he came from

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oscar Isaac was also good in Rise of Skywalker because he was totally tapped out and had Harrison Ford's sarcastic energy, the kind a man happy to know his contract is up might have.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mameluke posted:

Leave Pablo alone, the only person who has a valid reason to dislike him is Leland Chee

Do the two not get along?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arc Hammer posted:

Oscar Isaac was also good in Rise of Skywalker because he was totally tapped out and had Harrison Ford's sarcastic energy, the kind a man happy to know his contract is up might have.

Now I wish he had less enthusiasm when he said the most famous line of the sequel trilogy. "Ugh, the Palpenstein has returned I guess or some poo poo" and that was the best the could get out of him. :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He had a great laugh at how stupid it was when Hux revealed himself as a spy and his super aggressive "ha!" when Babu Frik showed up at Exogol was great.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Anita Dickinme posted:

Now I wish he had less enthusiasm when he said the most famous line of the sequel trilogy. "Ugh, the Palpenstein has returned I guess or some poo poo" and that was the best the could get out of him. :v:

I always imagine that Poe found out Palpatine was back by playing Fortnite and that’s why he sounds so annoyed when he says that line.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Nodoze posted:

Kennedy, for better or worse, is the public face like Feige is for Marvel. When you put yourself out there like that, the blame or praise falls on you even if it should or shouldn't. Kevin Feige is taking a lot of heat now too with the new Marvel stuff not being so good, but two years ago everyone was singing his praises. That's just how it goes

FWIW I think a lot of the criticism is valid. She has burned through a lot of directors, the projects have all been pretty bad

She has more power than Feige. Actually Star Wars needs a Feige right now that can pick up all the threads and start planning out their releases longterm and more cohesive.

Kennedy sits with the greenlight button. Not that she can greenlight something entirely by herself, but if she isn't behind it, it won't get done in it's current form. But who pitches projects, and who picks out who gets to run them is a mystery. I looked over the credits of the primaries on Obi-Wan and erhm... what? They couldn't have stuck just one dude in there who has experience running something as big as this?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

There's a beautiful moment in one of the ROS press junket interviews with Oscar Isaac and John Boyega together when the interviewer asked if they'd ever consider coming back and doing anything else Star Wars related now that the trilogy was over and they both basically in unison went "NOPE! :haw:" in just delighted, miserable glee.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

nine-gear crow posted:

There's a beautiful moment in one of the ROS press junket interviews with Oscar Isaac and John Boyega together when the interviewer asked if they'd ever consider coming back and doing anything else Star Wars related now that the trilogy was over and they both basically in unison went "NOPE! :haw:" in just delighted, miserable glee.

Cast interviews for RoS and Game of Thrones S8 had a lot of the same energy.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

You're right, I was wrong. I edited my post.

Full-Disclosure: From my gateway drug of videos like "Mark Hamill Tried to Warn us About the Sequels" I eventually started getting a lot of questionable Star Wars YT videos in my suggestions and ended up watching way too many of them because I hated the sequels and really enjoyed watching other people bag on them.

Why is TFA not included in that? The whole trilogy is messed up with only TLJ having a spark of becoming something before it doubles down after the throne room battle.

The other general issue is that Disney has figured out to blame any criticism of stuff on racists/sexists and now amplifies the whole thing to distract from their failings.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Darko posted:

The other general issue is that Disney has figured out to blame any criticism of stuff on racists/sexists and now amplifies the whole thing to distract from their failings.

:chloe: This isn't the clever own you think it is.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's not an own. That sentiment just recognizes that capitalism can incorporate anything into itself even critique, and especially utterly misplaced and wrong critique. If the corporation wanted to sincerely defend its minority employees it could stop donating to Republicans, or launch investigations and civil proceedings against trolls, or X or Y or Z. There are myriad real actions a billion-dollar company could undertake to combat racism, but none of them will be undertaken because capitalism is racist. What we do get is a wealthy white man filming a TikTok in his car, practically egging trolls on by acknowledging their actions without actual direct callouts; that's supposed to be Disney acting in good faith? Ewan alone, never mind his employer's pockets, could fund four or five civil suits (and publicity for them) against trolls, and actually scare others away.

No, these actions were never actually designed to combat racism - they were designed to create the appearance of doing so. Like how governments intentionally underfund public defenders, because the only thing they care about is the appearance of protecting poor people's rights.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, Disney isn't interested in combating racism, homophobia, etc. They're interested in exploiting minorities.

If it's profitable for them to throw a minority under the bus, they'll absolutely do it. And have, frequently.

Any argument they make about love being love, or Star Wars opposing racism or whatever, is a cynical marketing ploy designed to separate useful idiots from their money, and needs to be considered through this lens.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The question is what exactly Kennedy actually does. People seem to never point to anything she’s specifically done, that she’s taken credit for, that was a bad artistic choice. Disney-Lucasfilm has been extremely good obscuring what goes on behind the scenes.

Without concrete information, we have only fantasies.

Well she's the one who pushed hard for Star Wars Lands in the Disney parks to be sequel-themed, as opposed to the original plan which was basically for them to be Mos Eisely. Her logic was 'We should set it in a place that has potential for stories to be told, rather than a place who's story has been told.'

Which is kind of hilarious because half these new stories take place on loving TATOOINE.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
20 million sapient species, 3.2 billion habitable systems and we're stuck with the same people and planets over and over.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
in fairness SW aliens are pretty boring

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
RIP Sebulba, your physique was too different from "a man in a suit with beady butthole eyes"

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Darko posted:

Why is TFA not included in that? The whole trilogy is messed up with only TLJ having a spark of becoming something before it doubles down after the throne room battle.

I thought TFA was serviceable. It had flaws but also had some promise and I don’t get angry just thinking about it.

I don’t disagree about Disney having figured out how to use racist fans to deflect criticism. It reminds me of plays in basketball where the shooter jumps almost sideways into the defender while shooting to get a call.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Push El Burrito posted:

Rise of Skywalker ruled because it had Babu Frik which is one of the funniest Star War names.

It's no Kit Fisto

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

each ST film is equally and uniquely terrible. TFA is the most coherent but it set the stage with a boring retread universe where nothing has changed or ever will change. TLJ is technically the 'best' film but utterly failed as the second film in a three-part trilogy and as a star wars film. ROS is technically the 'worst' but how did you not know that would be the case going in? there was absolutely no chance of putting together a finale that would satisfyingly tie it to TFA and TLJ as one cohesive narrative.

i actually had some fun with TROS going in with that mindset, i thought it owned how they literally just dump palpatine's return in the title crawl, as if to say, ok, you fat pigs know where this is going lets just loving get to it so you can eat your slop. i guess even though it's the best i'd say TLJ is the worst because it had the opportunity to do something different, feigned doing it for 85% of the film's runtime, then didn't. the others, i pretty much got what i expected

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://i.imgur.com/6zE8KIH.mp4

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"That saber's too strong for blasters! Use your harpoons and tow cables, go for the legs. It might be our only chance of stopping her!"

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

fanfic premise post:

New Republic criminals suddenly have access to weapons which incinerate everything within an area (designated by planting poles in the ground). They are easily defeated with either using a force pull on one of the vertices or a headkick from behind, but the Jedi cannot be everywhere at once. Some worlds have called for stronger galactic regulatory ability, others have threatened to secede and shut down trade, and others who benefited the most from the Empire have called the incidents the inevitable result of the disorder that is the New Republic. Something is amiss -- a trail should have led Pandoran police from the black markets to a factory allegedly manufacturing these weapons, but there are no workers present. The droids guarding it have no recollection in their memory banks of anyone ever visiting the place except for another droid who has since left for Nal Hutta. Two aliens set up incineration poles outside while the astromech being interviewed suddenly pulls out a silver pole which telescopes like a baton out into the ground. The poles discharge a triangle-shaped burst of energy, then the aliens pick their poles back up and run. Jedi arrive on the scene finding piles of ashes and dead bodies with lightsaber wounds. The wounds to the chest would never have been made by a Jedi, but they exhibit too little hatred to have been made by a Sith. Nevertheless, the setup has its intended effect. Jedi are tasked by New Republic police with aiding them in investigating whether certain Jedi have allied with the dark side of the Force. There are droid servants of a malevolent maker, but there is no droid army. There are Sith holocrons which seek out hatred, but there are no Sith. There is an imbalance in the Force, but a most unfamiliar one, like a scale being tipped by a finger from outside.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

As far as I know, we don't have any reason to suspect that this didn't go through the normal pre-production machine with storyboards and pre-viz and what not.

How the gently caress?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Mameluke posted:

It's not an own. That sentiment just recognizes that capitalism can incorporate anything into itself even critique, and especially utterly misplaced and wrong critique. If the corporation wanted to sincerely defend its minority employees it could stop donating to Republicans, or launch investigations and civil proceedings against trolls, or X or Y or Z. There are myriad real actions a billion-dollar company could undertake to combat racism, but none of them will be undertaken because capitalism is racist. What we do get is a wealthy white man filming a TikTok in his car, practically egging trolls on by acknowledging their actions without actual direct callouts; that's supposed to be Disney acting in good faith? Ewan alone, never mind his employer's pockets, could fund four or five civil suits (and publicity for them) against trolls, and actually scare others away.

No, these actions were never actually designed to combat racism - they were designed to create the appearance of doing so. Like how governments intentionally underfund public defenders, because the only thing they care about is the appearance of protecting poor people's rights.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, Disney isn't interested in combating racism, homophobia, etc. They're interested in exploiting minorities.

If it's profitable for them to throw a minority under the bus, they'll absolutely do it. And have, frequently.

Any argument they make about love being love, or Star Wars opposing racism or whatever, is a cynical marketing ploy designed to separate useful idiots from their money, and needs to be considered through this lens.

Aren't you both just rays of sunshine.

Trump posted:

As far as I know, we don't have any reason to suspect that this didn't go through the normal pre-production machine with storyboards and pre-viz and what not.

How the gently caress?

What's wrong with it?

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Hazo posted:

What's wrong with it?

It's awkward and flat. The camera is just dumped there.

The threat is barely taking up any space in the frame. Let's see that speeder as the monster it have to be when you are standing 2 meters away and getting blasted by it's cannons. There is no reason why they couldn't have pulled in 30% and made the shot more intense.

Or you really want me to go into 'rules of third' and poo poo?

Trump fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 12, 2022

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Trump posted:

It's awkward and flat. The camera is just dumped there.

The threat is barely taking up any space in the frame. Let's see that speeder as the monster it have to be when you are standing 2 meters away and getting blasted by it's cannons. There is no reason why they couldn't have pulled in 30% and made the shot more intense.

Or you really want me to go into 'rules of third' and poo poo?

I don’t think the speeder is supposed to be seen as a threat here, if anything this is meant to show that the inquisitors are more dangerous than a speeder. It’s still a not a great shot/sequence though.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Trump posted:

How the gently caress?

I think the cgi guys only had one story board but tragically mistook the movement lines as stinky lines

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I don’t think the speeder is supposed to be seen as a threat here, if anything this is meant to show that the inquisitors are more dangerous than a speeder. It’s still a not a great shot/sequence though.

What is the threat then? Any other read makes zero sense. I'm not saying it's the new villain, just that in this shot, it's clearly antagonizing our "hero". And because of how it's framed, it comes of really awkward and dumb.

A shot pulled in 30%, slighty turn toward the speeder. A good sound mix of the cannons and saber clashing. The speeder taking up a huge part of the frame, blasting away. Dunno, sounds better than what we got to me, but I don't make multimillion series

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

And her motions don't even make sense. At least one of the "blocks" would require the whole dang speeder to be pointing a different way.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

How do people call this a good show? I mean if you enjoy it sure, but it's not good.

It looks like a giant kid is just out of frame holding a toy Snowspeeder and going pew pew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Just Chamber posted:

How do people call this a good show? I mean if you enjoy it sure, but it's not good.

It looks like a giant kid is just out of frame holding a toy Snowspeeder and going pew pew

Alot of discussion seems to go on what ties it has to other EU stuff or political poo poo. Noone seems to care about what is actually in front of them.