Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slorb
May 14, 2002

Sacrist65 posted:

That episode where Bartlett pledges to nominate a conservative AND liberal supreme court justice is the best insight into Sorkin's "politics is a thing to make me sound intelligent at cocktail parties, gently caress material outcomes" ideology.

The west wing did a great job at capturing an era of privileged idiots who thought they'd invented a new type of politics where by staking out positions in the geometric center of every issue they could win every election.

Clinton, Blair, and even pre 9/11 Bush all had Sorkin disease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Sacrist65 posted:

That episode where Bartlett pledges to nominate a conservative AND liberal supreme court justice is the best insight into Sorkin's "politics is a thing to make me sound intelligent at cocktail parties, gently caress material outcomes" ideology.

Gonna reveal myself as an old West Wing fan here but that particular episode came after Sorkin left the show. That one and the “we solved Social Security” were particularly egregious.

I haven’t touched the series since Obama was elected.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

slorb posted:

The west wing did a great job at capturing an era of privileged idiots who thought they'd invented a new type of politics where by staking out positions in the geometric center of every issue they could win every election.

Clinton, Blair, and even pre 9/11 Bush all had Sorkin disease.

Thinking about it, their privilege is being boomers isn't it. Born into a land of plenty where others were doing sacrifices and investments on your behalf, giving the privileged an entire life of plenty. And the phenomenon repeats across all possible borders including time in China's case.

What I still can't explain is the universal of the privileged generations wanting to dismantle any leveling mechanism that helped them. An entire cohort can't all embrace sabotage as the best competitive strategy, can they?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Thinking about it, their privilege is being boomers isn't it. Born into a land of plenty where others were doing sacrifices and investments on your behalf, giving the privileged an entire life of plenty. And the phenomenon repeats across all possible borders including time in China's case.

What I still can't explain is the universal of the privileged generations wanting to dismantle any leveling mechanism that helped them. An entire cohort can't all embrace sabotage as the best competitive strategy, can they?

I think the fundamental issue of privilege for most is not realizing you had it in the 1st place. When you don't think you got help and its cost effective to cut those services you pull for that because you don't think you needed / got their benefit.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Thwomp posted:

Gonna reveal myself as an old West Wing fan here but that particular episode came after Sorkin left the show. That one and the “we solved Social Security” were particularly egregious.

The one with the Gall–Peters projection was really bad.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Sorkin = democrat political fairy tales.

/TEDtalk

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

That Works posted:

I think the fundamental issue of privilege for most is not realizing you had it in the 1st place. When you don't think you got help and its cost effective to cut those services you pull for that because you don't think you needed / got their benefit.

There's also the fact that it's difficult to realize the paths and opportunities that you took in the past may have changed or disappeared, leading you to think that all these disadvantaged people today are too 'lazy' or oblivious to do the same.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Also a lot of them are just straight up bad human beings

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Thwomp posted:

I have been corrected. I must admit I enjoyed Moneyball too.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Platystemon posted:

The one with the Gall–Peters projection was really bad.

I just watched that clip and the only thing worse than a Gall-Peters projection is that clip.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Stultus Maximus posted:

I just watched that clip and the only thing worse than a Gall-Peters projection is that clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM8wv8QQ-u0

Newsroom guy standing in reverence to a Jet Blue Pilot's rank is pretty good.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aaron Sorkin should have just stuck to cocaine…and only cocaine…and not bothered the rest of us.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The Social Network is really good, but Sorkin as a whole is so loving annoying and not a force for good results.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

The Social Network is really good, but Sorkin as a whole is so loving annoying and not a force for good results.

I’d wager David Fincher might have helped to reel some stuff in on the Social Network. A good director is just as integral as the writer IMO.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Thwomp posted:

That one and the “we solved Social Security” were particularly egregious.

Since you mentioned it.

quote:

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/chartbooks/fast_facts/2018/fast_facts18.html

Social Security is not sustainable over the long term at current benefit and tax rates. In 2010, the program paid more in benefits and expenses than it collected in taxes and other noninterest income, and the 2018 Trustees Report projects this pattern to continue for the next 75 years. The Trustees estimate that the combined OASI and DI trust fund reserves will be depleted by 2034. At that point, payroll taxes and other income will flow into the fund but will be sufficient to pay only about 79% of program costs. As reported in the 2018 Trustees Report, the projected shortfall over the next 75 years is 2.84% of taxable payroll.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/09/sanders-warren-bill-would-extend-social-securitys-solvency-expand-benefits.html

quote:

Sens. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., and Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., introduced a new bill on Thursday that aims to extend Social Security’s solvency for 75 years by raising taxes on the wealthy, while making benefits more generous.

In 2022, payroll taxes are applied to income up to $147,000. The bill calls for lifting that cap and applying the Social Security payroll tax to all income of more than $250,000.

Social Security payroll taxes are applied at a rate of 6.2% for both the employer and employee, for a total of 12.4%, which is deducted from paychecks.

The bill calls for having the wealthy pay more through a 12.4% tax on investment and business income. It would also apply levies to certain business income that is not currently subject to payroll taxes.

“Today, absurdly and unfairly, there is a cap on income subject to Social Security taxes,” Sanders said in prepared remarks during a Thursday Senate hearing.

“This bill has no chance whatsoever of receiving a single Republican vote in either House,” said Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah. “So it will not be passed.”

Romney has proposed a bill called the TRUST Act, which would create bipartisan committees that would work to identify potential ways to shore up ailing federal programs including the Social Security, Medicare and the highway trust funds.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

This is obviously needed so it will never happen. The people that get a month or three above the cap would absolutely lose their poo poo too.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

quote:

Romney has proposed a bill called the TRUST Act, which would create bipartisan committees that would work to identify potential ways to shore up ailing federal programs including the Social Security, Medicare and the highway trust funds.

just throw garbage away? are you nuts? we need to make a committee to discuss how we should move the trash, a planning committee to evaluate the risks and rewards of potential movements, an environmental oversight board to study the environmental impacts of putting the trash into the dumpster, ...

the world would be a better place if, any time someone used the word "bipartisan", they were kicked in the nuts, or nuts equivalent

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

maffew buildings posted:

Also a lot of them are just straight up bad human beings

Yeah the boomers were reactionary as gently caress. The anti-war ones get the lion's share of the spotlight but there were a bunch of pro-vietnam boomers too; hell my ww2 grandfather vet took a good long look at the whole vietnam situation and told my dad that he [personally] wouldn't go. But I feel there was a whole host of baby boomers, especially men, who felt they had to prove something and off they went.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Huh thank you whoever got me this lovely avatar

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Someone wishing you a Happy Pride

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

just throw garbage away? are you nuts? we need to make a committee to discuss how we should move the trash, a planning committee to evaluate the risks and rewards of potential movements, an environmental oversight board to study the environmental impacts of putting the trash into the dumpster, ...

the world would be a better place if, any time someone used the word "bipartisan", they were kicked in the nuts, or nuts equivalent

In the British civil service I believe this is called moff, Months Of Fruitful F... works.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lol imagine not voting for something that affects the .1 percent but already does for 99.9% of the people who vote for you. Every single one of them is bought off POS.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I thought Custodes were immune from 4th Dimensional Warp Fuckery?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I thought Custodes were immune from 4th Dimensional Warp Fuckery?

Pretty sure they cooked up their own 4th-dimension-fuckery post-30K out of boredom.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Pretty sure they cooked up their own 4th-dimension-fuckery post-30K out of boredom.

Well that was more internal then Beastmen

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Well that was more internal then Beastmen

Well something is going on behind the golden throne and something is holding the portal there. And a portal kinda looks like a ring...?

40k is a goatse allegory

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

thats a pretty drat nice avatar

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Well something is going on behind the golden throne and something is holding the portal there. And a portal kinda looks like a ring...?

40k is a goatse allegory

Well I mean when you have something called the great rift and it’s basically the galaxy being torn apart into two sides….

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Sacrist65 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM8wv8QQ-u0

Newsroom guy standing in reverence to a Jet Blue Pilot's rank is pretty good.

This made my skin crawl and everybody involved should feel bad or at least be unable to take themselves seriously. Woof

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soul Dentist posted:

This made my skin crawl and everybody involved should feel bad or at least be unable to take themselves seriously. Woof

Honestly you can just copy and paste that to any Sorkin clip.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
So apparently Patriot Front likes to rent U-Hauls, then pack in and crash a protest. Looks like they were going to do the same at some Idaho pride event, but got pulled over and

https://twitter.com/AlissaAzar/status/1535735682877902848?t=5ExTglGQu-oIRxmEZnKfcQ&s=19

I sure hope they didn't bring any illegal guns and weaponry!

Edit: also this will be the first time that a lot of Patriot Front members get unmasked, so the internet's having a big ol' celebration:

https://twitter.com/LaResistance01/status/1535738659315494912?t=5EmafjGjSTCMGqF27cb3eQ&s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 11, 2022

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Tough day for the local PD arresting all their new friends :(

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

maffew buildings posted:

Tough day for the local PD arresting all their new friends :(

The person postings last tweet said they were being detained.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
“Am I being detained?” I tweet as the state uses violence to make me log off.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

That Works posted:

The person postings last tweet said they were being detained.

There doesn't seem to be that much reporting from the event (again - Idaho), but it really looked like the cops more or less broken clocked on this one. Either a tipster or an FBI undercover likely tipped off the cops, so they pulled over the U-Haul early. Feds might even get involved using the U-Haul as an excuse related to interstate travel. And it's not like the nazis were being quiet about it:

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1522638544166170626

So then with the actual work done, the cops more or less went back to their usual mass gathering/protest protocol - arresting randos for whatever they can come up with, or journalists/recorders that are just "in the way".

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

More on informer etc.

https://twitter.com/taliaotg/status/1535743403933179905?s=20&t=nLMJF-lQztWb3DguL8stcA

Not sure of source validity.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

enjoy it while it lasts because those fucks are about take over every level of Idaho government in november

unless the candidates are all informants :pray:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

That Works posted:

Not sure of source validity.

Here's the official bit:

https://twitter.com/KyleSimchuk/status/1535769937741942784

https://twitter.com/KyleSimchuk/status/1535769563173748736

https://www.thedailybeast.com/white-supremacists-from-patriot-front-detained-en-masse-near-idaho-pride-event

shame on an IGA posted:

enjoy it while it lasts because those fucks are about take over every level of Idaho government in november

That's essentially why I'm celebrating this whole thing - it's rare, might get rarer, and this group seems to thrive on their anonymity, which has now been obliterated.

And the original kinda-sorta-maybe reporter is apparently free now and mostly was detained for the usual nothing deal (though per her profile and etc, not exactly a police fan):

https://twitter.com/AlissaAzar/status/1535766578305695744

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 12, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

The very next tweet is the video clip of the cop saying it.

https://twitter.com/taliaotg/status/1535752096586276865

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Mr. Nice! posted:

The very next tweet is the video clip of the cop saying it.

https://twitter.com/taliaotg/status/1535752096586276865

heck of a time for them to need to do a purge