Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Oh, heck, I better toxx now.

:toxx: Summoner or No Summoner
$4 for every run that has summoner and has only required summons on their spell list (Usually Ifrit and Titan, although it's possible Titan is a crystal in some versions?)
$4 for every run that does not have Summoner and has all summons on their spell list
Cap $100, fifth job and void need not apply

:toxx: Show me the money
$10 for every run that spends no money on the entire run, including at inns or !cointoss
Cap $50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

DalaranJ posted:

Oh, heck, I better toxx now.

:toxx: Summoner or No Summoner
$4 for every run that has summoner and has only required summons on their spell list (Usually Ifrit and Titan, although it's possible Titan is a crystal in some versions?)
$4 for every run that does not have Summoner and has all summons on their spell list
Cap $100, fifth job and void need not apply

:toxx: Show me the money
$10 for every run that spends no money on the entire run, including at inns or !cointoss
Cap $50

Honestly unsure what the best way to do the second one is. 750 jobs will miss breaking all the rods, but they should be fine with drops for the empower ability. Chemists are really sad about not buying out the entire stock of holy waters, but still have most of their dirty tricks, I think. Physical classes will be a lot squishier/weaker early on, but will be basically fine long term.

Really gonna suck if you don't get some kind of healer, though.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Capfalcon posted:

Honestly unsure what the best way to do the second one is. 750 jobs will miss breaking all the rods, but they should be fine with drops for the empower ability. Chemists are really sad about not buying out the entire stock of holy waters, but still have most of their dirty tricks, I think. Physical classes will be a lot squishier/weaker early on, but will be basically fine long term.

The only offensive spells you can get without spending money are Flare, Holy, Meteor, and the summons.

The only white magic you can get for free are Mini, Esuna, and Holy. (You do get free castings of Raise from the Sage Staff, but that involves getting to that point.)

A poverty/ascetic run is honestly one of the situations where Geomancer and Ranger/!Animals truly shine the brightest.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

KataraniSword posted:

The only offensive spells you can get without spending money are Flare, Holy, Meteor, and the summons.

The only white magic you can get for free are Mini, Esuna, and Holy. (You do get free castings of Raise from the Sage Staff, but that involves getting to that point.)

A poverty/ascetic run is honestly one of the situations where Geomancer and Ranger/!Animals truly shine the brightest.

Oh man, I didn't even think about buying spells. It's been too long since I played!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Capfalcon posted:

Last year TheWonderTrickster triple crowned without ever touching the job system or spending any money outside of summon spells they couldn't use.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
While we wait, here's a good guide on modding FF5 Pixel Remaster.

Key thing is Memoria, which is required for most mods, but also allows a few nice features, namely speed-up (done by modifying (FF5 Folder)/BepInEx/config/Memoria.FFPR/Speed.cfg, and there are options to map it to game controller buttons), ability to disable Encounters (in Encounters.cfg), and a couple other minor things. But this lets you install a slew of nice mods, mostly stuff for the UI as well as graphical and music mods, and even a few other miscellaneous mods, like my PS1 Enemy Names mod (which I still need to update).

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

like my PS1 Enemy Names mod (which I still need to update).

and Y Burns are back on the menu boys

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

FeyerbrandX posted:

:eyepop:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FeyerbrandX posted:

I love you all so much.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1535744725260460032

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

FeyerbrandX posted:

I rolled thief. Let's go.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

:haw:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
for the Chaos Havers, do you generally prefer playing "everyone must be [job 1] at first crystal, 50/50 at second crystal, etc." or just use all four from the get-go

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i am definitely NOT asking because my wind job is bard, by the way

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Beat Garula with bards, coward.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Countblanc posted:

for the Chaos Havers, do you generally prefer playing "everyone must be [job 1] at first crystal, 50/50 at second crystal, etc." or just use all four from the get-go

Everyone must be job 1 at first crystal (or freelancer if you don't have it unlocked), and then one of each job you have unlocked for every following crystal.

In other words,

DalaranJ posted:

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007

Countblanc posted:

I still dole out the jobs per crystal, so 4x Job1 after Wind, even if Job1 isn't a Wind crystal job. 2/2 or 3/1 split after Water, etc.

Speaking of which, doing it this year may be a bit interesting:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ninja/BERSERKER/Beast Master/Red Mage

Pretty sure this will be a cakewalk…

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Is there a Brave Blade toxx? I rolled Knight...

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Thief/Time/Ranger/Sam

...this might be rough. QUICK LEAK THE WORLD!!!!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Huh, well this is a weird result:

I guess I don't have to worry about 4-berserker sandworm again if they don't give me any berserkers.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Is there a Brave Blade toxx? I rolled Knight...

No, there's one to use a 0 power chicken knife. If you're on PR you could get both?

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

DalaranJ posted:

I feel very attacked rn. :sigh:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Countblanc posted:

Technically you use freelancer until you reach the crystal that unlocks that job.

We're also not the fiesta police.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Depending on your exact setup, unlocking jobs early may definitely "hurt", and you may consider that more fun. I have SAM in slot #1 and I'm kinda regretting that I just get to heavy-weapons everything down as Freelancer until at least Walse, but I'm too lazy to dig a TV my SFC will even talk to out of storage and don't feel like emulating.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

DalaranJ posted:

OK

Wasn't as bad as I expected. Karlabos was basically Faris/Bartz attacking while Galuf/Lenna used Potions, while Siren I tried Hiding during her physical stage. It was rough and only Faris survived, but it worked!

So I learned !Hide won't cause a foe to run out of MP if there's no target in PR, which is a shame since it was such a central part of the solo Bard run. I ended up taking the spells in the face until she ran out, then plinked away at Forza in the back row while chugging Potions.

I had to struggle a bit to get the Elven Mantle, but it worked out. I also needed to grind to L13 and rely on only Bartz for damage while the other three healed. Definitely manageable in the end.

And my reward is Beastmaster. Definitely liking my team so far!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mega64 posted:

So I learned !Hide won't cause a foe to run out of MP if there's no target in PR, which is a shame since it was such a central part of the solo Bard run.

Does this work in the GBA version?

e: answer - yes

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 12, 2022

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

:fuckoff:

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Mustached Demon posted:

:toxx:
$2 for each Butz named Sanger (founder of PP) on up to $100. Names also acceptable: services PP provides so mamo, pap, BC, choice, etc.

This work?

Edit: Gah, image was too tiny and can't remove the original upload.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 12, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

375 dealt me black, berserker, geomancer, Samurai.

Other 375 folks is it always 750/non/750/non?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

zzMisc posted:

This work?

Edit: Gah, image was too tiny and can't remove the original upload.

You'll have to explain it but it's for charity so yeah probably.

I got 750/750/no/no so it's probably random I don't know.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Bruceski posted:

I had it opposite. Knight/Summoner/Ninja/Chemist

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Funktastic posted:

I had it opposite. Knight/Summoner/Ninja/Chemist

Thanks. My brother and I rolled almost identical (he got Mystic Knight for second) so that calms some suspicions.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ezgame

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Mustached Demon posted:

You'll have to explain it but it's for charity so yeah probably.

I got 750/750/no/no so it's probably random I don't know.

They used 'baby' for the Planned Parenthood themed name selection. I'd count it.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

I got Thief/Zerky/Geo/Dancer

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Nemo2342 posted:

They used 'baby' for the Planned Parenthood themed name selection. I'd count it.

Ohhh yeah I saw Zok and was confused.

Definitely counts. Butz is alive because his mother was able to choose when to have kids. If she couldn't, the world might not have had their hero.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Pixel Remaster has given me a new pet peeve, and it's autobattle breaking a fire rod after a boss fight. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Nope, I got the opposite order - Knight, Summoner, Ninja, Dancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I rolled White Mage as my first class for the normal run. Any important advice I should take in consideration?