Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

new forum background

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alamani57
Dec 15, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

the car forum people must be losing what’s left of their minds with these gas prices and parts shortages, be kind y’all

Car goons are an embarrassment to the site and that forum, which I did not know existed until just now, should be deleted.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
doing my part

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

this is shameful

where are their respirators?? :mad:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
just reminding everyone to stop thinking about the climate and go outside

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Rectal Death Adept posted:

*melts*

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Alamani57 posted:

Car goons are an embarrassment to the site and that forum, which I did not know existed until just now, should be deleted.

wait til you see the loving gun forum

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Alamani57 posted:

:hmmyes:

there's no chance to mitigate climate change in any way and keep car culture so yeah, if there's any deleting to be done,

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Evil_Greven posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRPcyWNfgxo
someone is mad about being called out on their climate video

lmfao making millions of dollars, drinking blood /w bill gates & and flipping out in the comments ftw

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
It's weird how whiny and aggressive climate optimists are, wonder what's up with that? I'm sure it's nothing

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

T-Paine posted:

TFR is environmentally sound because afaik it has the second highest user body count after TCC. In TCC we strive for actual carbon negativity.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Cabbages and Kings posted:

TFR is environmentally sound because afaik it has the second highest user body count after TCC. In TCC we strive for actual carbon negativity.

statistically there must have been a bunch of GIP suicides right?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Rectal Death Adept posted:

i bought a dehumidifier and outside sucks rear end now, nature is worthless

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

T-Paine posted:

It's weird how whiny and aggressive climate optimists are, wonder what's up with that? I'm sure it's nothing

visceral rejection of their own role in things is a helluva trigger

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

T-Paine posted:

there’s also a troop and landlord forum

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

stop posting facts and science guys i cant handle it

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

elon musk will save us

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

pissinthewind posted:

stop posting facts and science guys i cant handle it

acknowledging reality isn't good for your health

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

500 good dogs posted:

statistically there must have been a bunch of GIP suicides right?

this just goes to show you the danger of doomerism

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

he will just put all the methane and carbon into a flash drive, just like he did with twitter after he bought it

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

if people understand how bad climate change really is they might self harm. It's much better to maintain the status quo, which will never harm anyone

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

TeenageArchipelago posted:

if people understand how bad climate change really is they might self harm. It's much better to maintain the status quo, which will never harm anyone

:hmmyes:

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

IAMKOREA posted:

I've been a radical butterfly conservationist for my entire adult life, including granting significant funding and material supplies to native species opposing invasive species. I've had guns pointed at me by pigs dispersing milkweed seeds. In my long, thorough experience, people like you are as bad as the cops and insect collapse denier pundits. You wallow in misery because you've conned yourself into believing that taking the easy way of doing nothing is virtuous, and because people actually doing something threatens your delusion, you get defensive and sabotage people you should have been aiding in solidarity with your evangelism of despair.

You don't have smug secret wisdom to hold over everyone. You don't gaze bravely at truths that scare the normies. You have not been enlightened with secrets that make you wise and justified in your masturbatory gloom. You are sick and you are coughing into people's faces out of spite.

Suck my dick, doomer wrecker. You should be the one banned.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Twigand Berries posted:

He landed a six hour and just started up again afterwards.
this is how you know you're in the presence of a genius

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

mawarannahr posted:

the car forum people must be losing what’s left of their minds with these gas prices and parts shortages, be kind y’all

T-Paine posted:

Half of them were in that qcs thread
lol

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica
the fyad pack post in qcs more sincerely than anywhere else on the website, so it's there that you start to get an understanding of them as individuals

the qcs regulars that bleat "stop talking about it like it's going to happen!" are a separate and mostly unconnected group. qcs fyad are motivated by concern for others' wellbeing, abhorrence of physical violence, and a profound sense of secondhand embarrassment for nerds posting freeform prose-poetry about their relationship breakdowns, as well as their own... unique culture, and each fyad's individual madness/personal philosophy

mahershalalhashbaz has issued a correction as of 01:10 on Jun 12, 2022

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

that’s why you distract people with more marvel movies. “stay away, baitin!” etc

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica
i love forum wars. we need more forum wars

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica
their concerns about cspammers shooting someone are unfortunately valid, because a cspammer did in fact shoot someone. the fact they shot him in the foot (i'm going to be kind and guess they did that deliberately) is beside the point, and it is also to tiny toes' credit that he didn't embark on a revenge spree against goons in response. these are wild times!

mahershalalhashbaz has issued a correction as of 01:15 on Jun 12, 2022

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

i love forum wars. we need more forum wars

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica
let us no longer advocate the harm of any living thing. let us seek life, not death

Morbus
May 18, 2004

SniperWoreConverse posted:

If the sheer amounts are good enough who gives a poo poo? If it can produce a shitload of energy who cares if 10% or 50% gets wasted if it can deliver a substantial fraction of need without other problems.

The problem in a nutshell is if you use microwaves, you need huge (like hundreds or thousands of meters wide) antennas on the satellite, and similarly huge (km scale) collecting stations on the ground. For example at 2.5 GHz, a 1000m aperture in geosynchronous orbit can only achieve a best-case, diffraction limited spot on the earth of 5km. Even if you are able to beam down 1 GW of power, your power density at the ground--at your massive 5km x 5km collector station--is only 40W/sq m, which is total trash compared to what you'd have gotten just building solar panels there instead.

You can do better at higher frequencies, but of course the 1000m aperture isn't realistic to begin with, and atmospheric attenuation becomes a problem at higher microwave frequencies. Best case, using sort of realistic technology, if you had a 20 meter transmitter at 100GHz, you'd end up with a spot size of 6km. If you ran at 100GHz, with a 100 meter wide aperture, you could focus down to about 1km, which would allow your giant 1km x 1km collector to achieve power density just about on par with solar panels. Hooray.

Because of the thinned array curse, you cant use a phased array of satellites to overcome these focusing limitations. Your only choices are make giant rear end Star Trek antennas, put the satellites closer, or go gently caress yourself. Most efforts have focused on the middle option, but as of yet the problems involved with beaming down huge amounts of power to fixed terrestrial collectors while flying overhead at 16,000 miles per hour without killing anyone remain insurmountable. Send Elon a PM it sounds like the kind of stupid poo poo he'd be into.

If you use lasers, the problems are much less severe. But then you lose 50% of your power generating the laser (conservatively), 50% again during conversion, and between 10-100% in the atmosphere depending on weather. So your best case efficiency is 22%--not great not terrible. Of course, even if each satellite has James Web size optics (6 meter aperture), your spot size with 3.5 micron radiation at the atmospheric IR transparency window is still only ~30 meters. So, if the satellites above a given ground receiver can collect ~1 MW of solar energy, before losses, your collector station will generate as much electricity as a similarly sized photovoltaic in normal sunlight.

Well whatever gently caress it, we can have many satellites illuminating each base station. So say we limit the aperture to something almost reasonable like 0.5 meter, and just have like 500 satellites per base station. Now, as long as each satellite collects ~1 MW of power, they can (incoherently) add their beams onto a single ~300 meter wide spot, and we can illuminate a collector a few hundred meters wide with 500 MW of power and do about 2-3x as well as ground based solar would have. At a cost of 800 billion dollars. Now to just invent compact space based lasers that can operate continuously at megawatts of power, and a way to cool the massive amounts of waste heat in the vacuum of space. Oh and let's just pretend thermal blooming from this much laser energy in the atmosphere doesn't cause problems.

Anyway, it's not impossible, but it sure would be easier and more efficient to just build solar and nuclear generation on the ground.

Morbus has issued a correction as of 01:24 on Jun 12, 2022

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Pohl posted:

This is true, nonprofits are horrible and any good you may do by working for one is completely irrelevant outside of a tiny scale of personal interaction, while some rear end in a top hat runs off with all the money. It also gives local, state and federal government entities the social cover to not do a loving thing.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

There was a campground that I worked at growing up that sprayed some kind of solution on the roads to keep dirt down and I can't help but wonder if it was fracking brine. It worked really well, but when I think about how widespread using fracking brine as an alternative to road salt was in the midwest it makes me really wonder about what the gently caress it was that kept a dirt road from being dusty.

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen

There was a campground that I worked at growing up that sprayed some kind of solution on the roads to keep dirt down and I can't help but wonder if it was fracking brine. It worked really well, but when I think about how widespread using fracking brine as an alternative to road salt was in the midwest it makes me really wonder about what the gently caress it was that kept a dirt road from being dusty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Times_Beach,_Missouri

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica
fracking brine

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

their concerns about cspammers shooting someone are unfortunately valid, because a cspammer did in fact shoot someone. the fact they shot him in the foot (i'm going to be kind and guess they did that deliberately) is beside the point, and it is also to tiny toes' credit that he didn't embark on a revenge spree against goons in response. these are wild times!

he was a D&D and LAN poster actually

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

mawarannahr posted:

he was a D&D and LAN poster actually
really?

Defective Pikachu
Jun 2, 2022

by Hand Knit

remember the TFR guy who asked for advice about the best ammo when hunting large game and then killed someone

anyway,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

holy poo poo