Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Orc Priest posted:

Actually they might have axed one of the classes:

they’ll be back as a paid DLC

Diablo 3 Necromancer proved the concept, get ready for some ongoing new character DLCs on top of the battle pass and cosmetics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

Wheeee posted:

they’ll be back as a paid DLC

Diablo 3 Necromancer proved the concept, get ready for some ongoing new character DLCs on top of the battle pass and cosmetics

Cut content being sold later as DLC so they can rush the launch. This poo poo might turn into an Immortal sized shitstorm of its own lol. Well, we might know for sure today. Blizzard is supposedly going to show the game at the Xbox conference today.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How much longer is blizzard even going to be around . It’s been a real bad few years .

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

euphronius posted:

How much longer is blizzard even going to be around . It’s been a real bad few years .

Nah, they just started making Warcraft mobile games, they’re gonna be cranking out the cash for a long time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mobile games? A sad end.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Yeah, Blizzard is a mobile game company now with the occasional PC release to “build the brand” and get people to spend money on mobile. I would guess most or all the PC games will be financial losses in the future and mobile games will be the profit centers.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

WoW will never not rake in money

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You are wrong it’s been hemoing players for years and hasn’t recouped development costs on the last expansion. No one new is coming to WoW it’s entirely propped up by true believers who were addicted to WoW in their 20s and can’t break the chains

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

angry gamers is a much smaller percentage of people than dudes who have a phone who dont mind throwing 20 bucks at a game for some blips and bloops

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
A quick Google search says there are 4 million-ish subscribers to WoW still so they're doing alright there I would say

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Having seen the success with Immortal, they'll be creeping up the monetising on WoW.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

The Lone Badger posted:

Having seen the success with Immortal, they'll be creeping up the monetising on WoW.

As a WoW slut from day 1, it's pretty much on the edge, as far as they can push it.

The next step is selling items / increased drop rates - and for all it's utter craziness, I think that would be the final straw for the WoW community. It would simply shatter it into two parts, and the people willing to spend money on that poo poo would be a LOT smaller.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

an iksar marauder posted:

Gating the loot behind a game of skill, no matter how trivial that game, means it's not a lootbox in a lot of places.
DI really rides the line here by giving you the key to the lootbox back if you fail the game of skill. You always get a pull at the lootbox no matter what.

Its monetization was designed by a team of people whose entire job is figuring out the best way to screw over each and every person who comes into contact with the game without blatantly doing anything illegal. Monetization in games has gotten so bad that we are no longer having debates on grind or the ethics of creating an addictive product. The conversation is dominated entirely by predatory monetization of said products. Nintendo's $60 without ever having a discount for a $20 product model is starting to look good compared to the field with companies creating deliberate inconveniences in loving single player titles and selling the solution. It's the age of digital racketeering lmao.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 12, 2022

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I saw an analogy saying people can't like DI because some people get addicted is like saying people can't like alcohol because some people get addicted.

I think a more accurate analogy is saying big pharma did a great job with opioids because it works well for me even though it's killed thousands of other people.

This game was specifically built to exploit people with mental illness and addiction. It's gone well beyond trying to just make an honest buck.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

bamhand posted:

I saw an analogy saying people can't like DI because some people get addicted is like saying people can't like alcohol because some people get addicted.
I don't think this is apt because there's no way to progress after a point without mindlessly dumping obscene amounts of money in. This type of argument is more appropriate for Lost Ark or many other p2w/whale-targeting games where playing & progressing f2p is pretty easy with some planning & patience but the psychological traps completely consume certain people and get them to spend thousands, or even tens of thousands, on dumb poo poo that free players inevitably have equivalent power to weeks later.

Part of the reason DI has larger backlash than most other titles using similar systems is because it doesn't even offer the option to be f2p and constantly shoves cash shop stuff in your face. Other games give you a controlled trickle/flow for free that sets a reasonable pace of progression. This results in an f2p/light payer community who defends the game and shows what's possible without whaling. They then trap the would-be big spenders in with systems identical to DI's. DI seems to have forgotten about this group of people who are arguably the core population of any modern f2p/p2w game and thought they could split into "people doing the leveling content" and "people paying stupid amounts of money in 80c-$2 increments".

To be somewhat fair to DI, they can "save" the game by fixing what they give free players/light payers and providing reasonable progression paths that don't involve spending the cost of a new car on a diablo phone game. It's not a bad game if you ignore that you can't actually progress after a point without spending big money. I am somewhat concerned that they deliberately designed this arc to happen. They had to have known they would get lots of money and lots of backlash for launching this way, and they also should know they have a good product they can easily tweak into good pr a few months later. It's just scummy all around.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 12, 2022

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I'll just wait for them to remove AH and add necro before I buy :bang:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1536044911811825665?s=21&t=iipfbVPaqxeTj2VrdhNjwg

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oh poo poo actually world premier Diablo 4 on pc game pass expo right now holy poo poo

Open world

150 dungeons

Territory that you claim

Localized public events and world bosses

PvP bounties issued by the game for powerful players who get a lot of kills

Druid
Sorcerer
Assassin
Necromancer
Barbarian

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 12, 2022

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Tokubetsu posted:

I'll just wait for them to remove AH and add necro before I buy :bang:

one finger curled hurrah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xam1qjx2iw

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Idk, D4 looks so... blah. I kinda feel depressed after watching that.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Mesadoram posted:

Idk, D4 looks so... blah. I kinda feel depressed after watching that.

I was one of the few who didnt hate the art style or color in D3 so I feel you lol but I do like the character models here and overall grounded armor design.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Keep in mind that in living memory they have never shown off endgame or even mid game armor sets in their previews so all the character looks we’ve seen will be over after roughly 2-3 hours of play

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/ign/status/1536053633216913409?s=21&t=iipfbVPaqxeTj2VrdhNjwg

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Doesn’t look terrible !!

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

I haven't been following D4.

Are the classes gender locked?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Ither posted:

I haven't been following D4.

Are the classes gender locked?

They're not locked, and there are some decent face/body customization options. Honestly more than really makes sense given your character is an inch tall on screen and will be covered in plate mail within minutes, but I won't complain about having more.

As for the trailer-- Immortal has made me a bit leery about the shared multiplayer spaces in the game. I really hope they give the player a choice to just gently caress off and stay in solo mode.

I think the non-linear campaign structure is the most interesting thing about what they're making. The entire genre is basically stuck in aping the act structure of Diablo 2 from 20 years ago. Even the cutting edge competition from PoE2 is sticking with that structure and frankly PoE gets a lot of criticism for being a seasonal game where you create a lot of characters, but people get bored to tears doing the campaign for the hundredth time.

I hope things turn out more Elden Ring than Ubisoft, I do not necessarily trust them when I hear they're adding "strongholds" to the open world. It's good that they're thinking more about sandbox type structure but I hope it's not just a regurgitation of rear end-creed open world design that people are already sick of.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 12, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
it has an endgame but we're not telling you anything at all about what it is? that's concerning if they're still trying to figure out the endgame this late in the process

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I think the last concrete thing they said about endgame is that there will be a PoE map style system, with itemized/rollable keys that you use to open endgame versions of dungeons that exist in the world, but that was back at the time they revealed the game. Who knows what that will look like by release.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Scoss posted:

I think the last concrete thing they said about endgame is that there will be a PoE map style system, with itemized/rollable keys that you use to open endgame versions of dungeons that exist in the world, but that was back at the time they revealed the game. Who knows what that will look like by release.

keys to open endgame dungeons you say?

jokes aside, I'm most curious what they've figured out for an endgame because that seems like both by far the hardest and the most uncertain part of the whole thing in terms of having a game with long-term playability

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 12, 2022

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I actually enjoy open world mmo co-op as long as the place isnt filled to the brim with bots

Also no word on monetization and we know they were hiring people for positions on it.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah not sure about those massive bosses that require a bunch of players playing together. Generally I play these games solo and don't like to rely on having a party or a bunch of randoms to finish content.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Also no word on monetization and we know they were hiring people for positions on it.

This is the word on monetization, consistent with what they said in the past. Go and believe what ye will.
https://twitter.com/PezRadar/status/1536053922875310080

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

They were weasely enough with D:I "you can't pay for gear!" That I can't believe anything other than the literal, actual things they say. "Built around cosmetics and eventually full dlc" is not even saying "only cosmetics and full expansions", not to mention, what form do expansions take? How often, how much content, what price? Lol if you're optimistic. I'm hoping for the best but I fully expect trash.

At least D2R is an acceptable modernization of a good game, and I think d3 is good and fun on different merits. We will always* have those at least.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Gameplay trailer looks good, I liked the D3 visual style more than most people did but the D2-like visual style here is working for me even if it is a little too dark at points. Looks like there won't be a Monk in D4 yet, shame since he was by far my favorite class in D3. Looks like I might be rolling Necromancer unless one of the other classes can replicate the Monk play style close enough.

Also hoping the MMO/multiplayer features are opt in only and not forced on every player.

Mr. Funktastic fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 12, 2022

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I'm looking forward to D4, all I want is decent same-screen coop and controller support for PC, the latter is confirmed but they've not said anything about PC local coop yet, which worries me a lot

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I feel like endless progression is not what I want from Diablo and that is what a MMO is all about.

It doesn't sound like they are designing with seasons and progression reset in mind.

I hope its not an endless loot threadmill but I'm not optimistic.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

WarpedLichen posted:

I feel like endless progression is not what I want from Diablo and that is what a MMO is all about.

It doesn't sound like they are designing with seasons and progression reset in mind.

They haven't really elaborated on it but they did confirm at one point the game will have seasons.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
There's a vacancy on blizzard's site for D4 project manager that mentions seasons and expansions so it's pretty much confirmed at this point

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Are they doing seasons in D:I? Because that'd make all this current monetization even more hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

iamsosmrt posted:

Are they doing seasons in D:I? Because that'd make all this current monetization even more hosed.

The cycle of strife and battle pass are very similar to seasons and ladder resets without needing to reroll characters. I wouldn’t put it past them to try and get people to create new characters at some point though.

Season of the Mad King’s Boon
+1200% value*

*5/5 legendary gem drop rate increased by 5 bps for seasonal characters