Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Roe's about to get overturned and apparently public education is next on the chopping block. All I can think about the last few days is where does it stop? What will these fascist fucks go after next? Gay marriage? The right to vote? Any kind of rights at all for BIPOC?

Like, I already knew we were going to be bent over a barrel by climate change in the next decade or so, but between social security going bankrupt and society sliding gradually in a dystopian direction, it's getting harder and harder to find reasons to keep sticking around. Like, I don't *want* to be here to see how bad it's going to get, you know? This is enough; I would like to opt out of more, no thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

My divorce went through recently, and as part of the settlement I had to pay my ex $22,000. This stings a bit, because she was an abusive POS who terrorized me for over a decade before I was finally able to leave her. Anyways, the part that sucks (today) is that the first of two expensive super-official bank checks I sent over a month ago via certified mail just came back to me with "return to sender" on it, which means it was sitting in the post office two blocks away from her apartment for the entire time. I was just told via her lawyer that she was "too busy" to go pick it up, and is now requesting a wire transfer to her bank account instead. It feels petty and spiteful in a way that lines up perfectly with her behavior over the course of the marriage, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised? Either way it means that I'm a few more years away from being able to buy a house. Maybe the market will crash before then!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Astrofig posted:

Roe's about to get overturned and apparently public education is next on the chopping block. All I can think about the last few days is where does it stop? What will these fascist fucks go after next? Gay marriage? The right to vote? Any kind of rights at all for BIPOC?

Like, I already knew we were going to be bent over a barrel by climate change in the next decade or so, but between social security going bankrupt and society sliding gradually in a dystopian direction, it's getting harder and harder to find reasons to keep sticking around. Like, I don't *want* to be here to see how bad it's going to get, you know? This is enough; I would like to opt out of more, no thank you.
Man was not meant to know the scope of the world, and most do not have the faculties to handle it all.

find your little happiness and cling to it. or start a revolution, either or

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Who decided that 90 degrees in May in the midwest was a good idea?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Astrofig posted:

America is getting worse but a lot of other countries are getting much better!

But yeah, I feel ya. Feeling extremely hopeless and powerless in the face of extreme cruelty on one side and apathetic lip service on the other.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Flu, or covid round 5? Is testing still free, or will I never know?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
mom fell again today. she fell a few days ago as well. she's covered in bruises but luckily has not suffered any broken bones or debilitating injuries, she managed to fall in ways that she didn't hit her head hard or anything, which is good, and was able to contact me to come help her both times. I'm taking her to the doctor tomorrow. Hopefully I can get her a walker, I've made sure she's using her cane even when walking around the house now, because her balance seems hosed at the moment. she really doesn't want a walker, but I really don't want a dead mom.

might have to take some time off of work to take care of her while she recovers.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Got outbid on the condo I really wanted. I'm starting to think home ownership just won't happen for me.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
On that note, three of the houses I looked at yesterday were uninhabitable dumps, one seemed promising but would have taken far more work than I'm prepared to put in, and the last two sold by the time I got to the inspection.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
been investigating getting siding recently, and lololololol

one estimate for a two-story 1500-foot house with 23 windows was 78,000 dollars from a medium-sized company(who offered 69,000 if we signed the contract before they walked out the door, of course). another was 46,000 dollars, by a far more down to earth independent contractor who's been doing it for ages.

I laugh when I think of when we refinanced(to get the siding done, natch) and mom was like "I hope we can get some other things done as well as the siding"

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I applied for a job last week, the day after I got an email from the manager to set up a call. It's been over a week and I haven't heard back to actually setup the call.

I can't stand my current job but I hate job hunting even more.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I applied for a job last week, the day after I got an email from the manager to set up a call. It's been over a week and I haven't heard back to actually setup the call.

Send a follow up email or maybe even try calling them if you have a number. Clawing your way out of a poo poo job is a world of suck.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

Inceltown posted:

Send a follow up email or maybe even try calling them if you have a number. Clawing your way out of a poo poo job is a world of suck.

I sent a follow up last Thursday, I'll give it another day or two until I try again this week.

Agreed that this whole thing sucks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
mom's been dizzy, nauseous and vomiting the last day and a half or so, so I took her to the emergency room since she couldn't keep water down. she has kidney failure, pneumonia and a blood pressure of 100 over 55, which surprised her since she didn't feel any of that, just the above dizziness etc(which is likely from the low blood pressure). the doctors are hoping the kidney failure is just due to dehydration from vomiting so much, and they admitted her to run some tests, try some medications, and keep her fluids up via IV. The difference of half a minute before and after they hooked her up to some anti-vomiting/nausea medication IV was incredible, you could see the life returning to her, it was wild. from zombie 30 seconds before to wide-awake eyes, cracking jokes after, put me at a bit more ease.

my dogs aren't happy the house is so empty right now.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Found out earlier this week that a friend of mine from childhood had died of cancer....three months ago. Despite the two of us being close, I had not even known she had been ill. So in addition to grieving for a friend, I'm wracked with guilt because for whatever reason I hadn't been in touch with her for quite a while. What especially sucks is that I'm 38 and my friend was just shy of her 40th birthday: far too young to die.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I feel you. I've been job hunting too and it's a lovely, humiliating experience.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 02:05 on Jun 5, 2022

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Got really drunk the other night, posted some really stupid poo poo that I got quite rightly called out for, then my doctor told me my blood pressure was "terrifyingly high" and if I don't make some lifestyle changes I can expect my first heart attack some time around my 45th birthday.

On the plus side, I finally gave up the booze, changed my diet and started going to the gym again. All my muscles hurt but it's been so long I'm practically starting again.

Bargearse has a new favorite as of 02:35 on Jun 6, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, blood pressure has finally become a Thing for me too. It sways between normal and elevated seemingly every ten minutes. Got put on the "DASH Diet", to help prevent hypertension.

I think it might be more stress related than diet, it's been elevated ever since my stepdad passed away, and both my parents have visibly deteriorated over the last year, mom especially. It's mentally debilitating.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Bargearse posted:

Got really drunk the other night, posted some really stupid poo poo that I got quite rightly called out for, then my doctor told me my blood pressure was "terrifyingly high" and if I don't make some lifestyle changes I can expect my first heart attack some time around my 45th birthday.

On the plus side, I finally gave up the booze, changed my diet and started going to the gym again. All my muscles hurt but it's been so long I'm practically starting again.

Out with the old Bargearse

In with the new

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Inceltown posted:

Out with the old Bargearse

In with the new

Here's hoping the new Robo-Bargearse powers kick in soon.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I am not getting throught school. My main job sucks (and pays little). I dont have any true circle of friends. I have to wait for ADHD evaluation for probably a year. My DnD group is probably going to go on another hiatus. My roomate is pissed at me and that makes it akward to walk around the house. I have been single for loving ever. But I finally got a tan I guess...

I mean its all really small stuff I probably could handle, but it feels like a lot to have all of those worries at once.

Midig has a new favorite as of 22:12 on Jun 6, 2022

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
The water pipes the water heater and the washing machine decided to all break within a span of a week so I'm down like 3 grand for replacements and repairs on top of the land tax and the water bill this month, my siblings are fighting over a damaged car and now I think I have the flu,
I'm not gonna complain about getting jury duty as well, at least they pay you for that.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
why the living gently caress isn't the grocery store putting out hand baskets anymore?

i go to this grocery store with two stories so if you get a cart you have to get into an elevator

they subbed in these dumb rear end little carts that basically offer as much space as a handbasket, with one little shelf for soda on the bottom.

im about to bring in my own bags, fill that poo poo up and walk out because gently caress whatever business major motherfucker hiding in an office got rid of the handbaskets

and then you get these hilarious traffic jams in the elevators, AND at the self checkouts with people with like 4 things in their cart, but they can't figure out where to put the cart while they check themselves out

fuckin riot at the grocery store

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Got my college results in the mail yesterday. Sent a photo of them into our class group's WhatsApp group chat. They all saw the message; only one person responded. I've been feeling super detached from everyone in the class group since Easter since I started moving house and had less time to go into college. It just feels like there's another WhatsApp group chat that they all have that I'm not in. They all meet up for drinks (one of them posts videos and photos of it on Instagram) and I don't get invited anymore.

On top of that, a good few of us got conditional offers to a top-up college in England, but it's looking like mine and my husband's finances have been decimated so much by moving house that I won't be able to afford to go to the new college anymore. So now that it's looking like I'd have the full offer but no money to go, I'll be even more isolated from people on the course.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
My new supervisor is an rear end who seems hellbent on pissing off the freight company we have a security contract with. On the one hand I've been there long enough that when the torches and pitchforks happen the crosshairs will absolutely not be on me; on the other hand there's a non-zero chance of the company just going "gently caress it" and terminate the contract, in which case I'm probably out of a job because 'weekend overnight guard' is all I know how to do.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Malachite_Dragon posted:

My new supervisor is an rear end who seems hellbent on pissing off the freight company we have a security contract with. On the one hand I've been there long enough that when the torches and pitchforks happen the crosshairs will absolutely not be on me; on the other hand there's a non-zero chance of the company just going "gently caress it" and terminate the contract, in which case I'm probably out of a job because 'weekend overnight guard' is all I know how to do.

Can you go over their head to someone else? Sounds like the people up the top might be interested to know they're going to lose a contract thanks to this muppet.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Mom was going to be discharged from the hospital today, when she suddenly had a seizure this morning. She's never had a seizure in her life. She's still confused and occasionally speaking nonsense. They're running tests to see if she had a stroke, and going to be doing a brain scan to check for abnormalities.

This all sucks. Everything was going pretty well, her kidney numbers were finally recovering steadily, and now this.

And I still haven't been able to talk to a loving doctor, they didn't even notify me about the seizure, I only found out upon coming in to visit her this afternoon. God drat it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And now mom can't even string two words together and is passing in and out of consciousness

This is terrifying

Spoke to the doctor, they said it's not a stroke, and probably a seizure caused by the scar tissue in her brain from when she had a brain tumor removed decades ago. And the confusion etc should clear up as aftereffects of the seizure after 12-24 hours. So while this sucks, it's not the worst case scenario, and at least they can treat seizures with medication, while they can't do anything to treat an already happened stroke.

Still, was NOT fun having mom delirious and not recognize me.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 22:43 on Jun 13, 2022

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm suffering withdrawals because my doc hosed up my prescription and won't fix it "because you have a check up soon enough."

I can't even go to the office for work because the brain zaps are so bad and I can barely stay awake.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Inceltown posted:

Can you go over their head to someone else? Sounds like the people up the top might be interested to know they're going to lose a contract thanks to this muppet.

I've been trying! But the one number I have, I've been getting no response from for some time now. Either my messages aren't getting through, or this person is ignoring me and his jackassery is in fact condoned by the higher ups, or this person no longer works for the company and just hasn't told me to stop contacting them.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Just found out my friends are separating. I am friends with both of them, and while it's amicable and neither one of them will talk about it, it feels like poo poo. It's been in the works for a while I guess. So I know maybe two couples who are married still, or not separated. Out of dozens of people. The odds are not good.

Me again.
Oct 19, 2017
First hour of my shift I dump a pint or so of motor oil all over the floor, several pallets of stock, and down my front from chest to ankles. Like, sopping wet with visible streams of oil. :barf:

Now I stink horribly of motor oil, will need to throw out my most comfortable set of work clothes and buy new ones this weekend, and had to mop a huge stretch of floor outside the lunch room right before first break. I also have to wear my winter uniform shirt from my locker and it's really goddamn hot and itchy without an undershirt (Arizona). 5 hours to go, yay...

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

My blood sugar dropped to 52 and my right leg completely fell asleep.while I was sitting on the toilet.

I attempted to stand up, hit my head, had no feeling or control in my right leg from the knee down), and cartoonishly fell and fortunately did not hit my head.

I drove to CVS to get an ankle brace and comically wandered the aisles and spent 20 minutes looking for the one listed as In Stock until an employee asked if I needed help and informed me that it was on an endcap.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Mom managed to make it a whole almost 48 hours at home after nearly a month in the hospital and then physical rehab before ending up back in the ER, hooray!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I'm sorry you're going through this, Invictus. I really and truly am.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's relatively unrelated, she has a wound on her toe that got infected likely from physical therapy. But because she's diabetic, even something small like that can result in amputation, so they have to give her IVs of antibiotics and stuff and are taking an mri of her foot to see what is causing this insistent wound in the same exact spot. It's been reappearing since christmas, fully healed during her prior hospital stay, and had fully reopened since she began physical therapy. It loving sucks!!!!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I've been exposed to covid. That sucks and I definitely don't want this poo poo, but I'm also 38 and triple vaxxed. I'll likely be fine if I become symptomatic.

What scares me to death is that on Friday, before I knew I had been exposed, I hung out with two married friends of mine and their barely two year old son. We were semi-outside on their patio but their son got relatively close to me a time or two when he was toddling around.

If anything happens to that little guy because of me I just don't know what I'll do.

e: DMed my friends and they don't seem overly concerned, so I think it'll be OK.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 02:49 on Jul 4, 2022

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Well, got an email from mom on Tuesday morning. It turns out that she believes that my life is a horrible mess, and that I've turned away from "being good" and was "warped by my dad." Also I need to "change my life completely and pray more."

All of that, a long with a ton of other resentful word salad that made it clear she resented having kids and compared me to a child molester and wife beater, because I went to Pride last weekend.

Welp. Rather be around people that love me despite being a dirty queer than a parent that secretly resents me because I'm not a good straight Catholic girl.

And like...my life isn't even a mess. I have a job I enjoy, an amazing husband that has a job he likes too, a little cabin to live in, and my own drat TV channel. The worst thing that's happened lately is having to spend $1600 on the dog when he needed surgery and I hardly think that's because I don't pray enough.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Mom's toe and finger infection may be MRSA. Cool cool cool cool

And then they did an MRI and just stuck her in there without sedating her first, she's had crippling claustrophobia ever since she died on the table for 3 minutes giving birth to my sister, and she is normally sedated before they do any MRIs and such. Well they didn't give her anything beforehand, and just put her in, and despite her screaming and hammering on the emergency button, did not stop at all. When she got out of there she was a gibbering, sobbing, panicking mess. Terrified, tears streaking down her cheeks, stuttering constantly. I drat near stormed down there to strangle the fucker who did that, if she hits the emergency button or like, is screaming for help, it should be stopped immediately, right?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Yup, I'm pretty sure I've got the 'rona. Haven't been tested but I have the works: fever, chills, coughing, sinus headache. poo poo sucks but I'm more worried about having infected my friends over the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Confirmed, mom's got the MRSA. And since when it rains it pours, I just got a call from my dad while visiting mom in the hospital, he was trimming some invasive vines while on a ladder, fell off, broke 13 ribs and his shoulderblade in two places, and decided to...go inside and go to bed rather than call 911 let alone me. He woke up, thought "boy, this hurts a lot!" and called a cab to take him to the ER. Then he casually calls me to tell me all this like it's the most natural thing in the world to break all these ribs and not immediately call 911 or anything. Also it's his birthday tomorrow. Happy birthday, here's 14 broken bones

Edit: to be clear I do not think he broke all those bones since even a single broken rib would be incapacitating, I think he might have fractured some and broke his shoulderblade, but if he broke a rib in the fall he likely wouldn't have even been able to stand back up. Still, for someone about to turn 70, a fall from 3 rungs up can be easily lethal, so if he only broke a couple ribs, that'd be a blessing.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 23:44 on Jul 5, 2022