Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

LifeSunDeath posted:

wasn't there a movie where a ship went through a wormhole or something...cocoon or maybe millennium

Final Countdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Didnt Big Rigs (and a bunch of other games) also not cap its reversing speed?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Final Countdown

Oh hell yes!

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

LifeSunDeath posted:

Oh hell yes!

Such a terrible movie. Also an f14 in it nearly crashes in to the ocean.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

PhazonLink posted:

Big Rigs absolutely does, it's the exact example that came to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8X7Vj6JXPk&t=47s

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PhazonLink posted:

This is also a key thing in Half-Life 2 speedrunning, although funny enough the reason it works is because of the game's attempt to cap the acceleration you used to be able to get from regular bunny-hopping in the original Half-Life engine. They apply a negative impulse to the player while jumping if they are going faster than a certain threshold, but it's applied against your view direction rather than your movement direction, meaning that by jumping backwards the attempt to slow you down just makes you go even faster, and since the strength of the impulse is based on your speed at the moment of the jump, the effect just keeps getting stronger.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

LifeSunDeath posted:

wasn't there a movie where a ship went through a wormhole or something...cocoon or maybe millennium

The Philadelphia Experiment and Final Countdown, but those went through time more than space.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Farscape, st voyager, ...a sandy frank film

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

el_jorge posted:

Arma Reforger has an issue where if the driver of a vehicle disconnects from the game, the vehicle keeps moving.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/522264974597554177/977973561010585681/disconnect.mp4

ARMA 3 fast 3 furious DLC looking good

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

PhazonLink posted:

Super Mario 64 as well, which is why it's possible to beat the game without ever collecting a star.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This is also a key thing in Half-Life 2 speedrunning, although funny enough the reason it works is because of the game's attempt to cap the acceleration you used to be able to get from regular bunny-hopping in the original Half-Life engine. They apply a negative impulse to the player while jumping if they are going faster than a certain threshold, but it's applied against your view direction rather than your movement direction, meaning that by jumping backwards the attempt to slow you down just makes you go even faster, and since the strength of the impulse is based on your speed at the moment of the jump, the effect just keeps getting stronger.

But can you reach parallel universes through this?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
"alright, just gonna reverse outta here and"
*Local supercluster is incinerated by a truck tearing physics a goatse sized hole in reality, fraying neutrons down to sub particles unknown to man*
"Dang"

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Chamale posted:

Super Mario 64 as well, which is why it's possible to beat the game without ever collecting a star.

Works like that in Legend of Zelda Wind Waker too with it's super swimming glitch

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That's about 45 times the speed of light, nice. Assuming you can only do this in reverse, though, you'll probably want to install a backup camera.

Why bother? You'll get there before the image the camera is looking at does.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Chamale posted:

Not to mention half button presses

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

Grace Baiting posted:

Not to mention half button presses

Words cannot describe how much I hate understanding this reference.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The Watch for Rolling Rocks video was cool as hell and I'm really sad that the internet response basically scared him out of making high effort narrated videos ever again.

Thankfully he still makes good videos with text commentary. I'm a fan of the punchline on this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q7Jko5yoFY

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
Long loading screens on Xbox games were because they ran out of memory and were secretly rebooting the console.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

HelleSpud posted:

Long loading screens on Xbox games were because they ran out of memory and were secretly rebooting the console.
This was the case with Morrowind, specifically, because Bethesda were having all kinds of problems getting the thing to run on the Xbox:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0TKwPnHc-M

I don't know if any other games used this trick.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Deus Ex 2 did this just to switch zones, because they never got around to implementing "unload an entire zone from memory".

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Thief 3 as well, since it ran on the same engine.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
They're just reloading the executable, which a bunch of Xbox and PS2 games also did to switch to online modes for games too

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Deus Ex and Thief were great franchise casualties in the Console Encroachment of the early aughts.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Snake Maze posted:

The Watch for Rolling Rocks video was cool as hell and I'm really sad that the internet response basically scared him out of making high effort narrated videos ever again.

Thankfully he still makes good videos with text commentary. I'm a fan of the punchline on this one:

MadmanLava 7 months ago
Pannenkoek's adoption services: uniting clouds with loving 100 coin stars

I was going to say it's been a while since ol' pancakes uploaded something, but lo and behold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUBrwHyDMWc

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

They're just reloading the executable, which a bunch of Xbox and PS2 games also did to switch to online modes for games too

Yeah I believe in the Morrowind story they said they were told about that trick by MS themselves so the implication is that it was a fairly common recommendation to developers to soft reboot the console like that to clean up the RAM.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

credburn posted:

Deus Ex and Thief were great franchise casualties in the Console Encroachment of the early aughts.

using reload tricks to switch maps etc isnt a problem, its actually smart

sure load times will be longer in some situations, but you have the cleanest possible slate every time that scenario runs

that means a lot when youre short on debugging time

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Carthag Tuek posted:

using reload tricks to switch maps etc isnt a problem, its actually smart

sure load times will be longer in some situations, but you have the cleanest possible slate every time that scenario runs

that means a lot when youre short on debugging time

Especially because it eliminates some of the hardest to debug bugs: ones that depend on what the player did potentially hours before. Like, it's potentially not just visiting areas in the order 1-2-1-3-4 instead of 1-2-3-4, but also what you specifically did on the second visit to 1, depending on how they manage the data. gently caress everything about that investigation process.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 22:34 on Jun 17, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i ignored the boring civil war quests & now i have two jarls in windhelm lol

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
My Two Jarls

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Snake Maze posted:

This was beautiful. I was rapt the whole time. What a journey!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://twitter.com/KaotikKnight/status/1537964729448116224?s=20&t=X0Z_5GpRyc9sj16QJ4SU6A

(note: WWE cage matches can be won by escaping the cage)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

One simple trick referees HATE

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The bugs that are produced by the WWE games are always so drat funny.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

That it is Kurt Angle and that he would very much have sustained a neck/head injury is an even nicer touch. :discourse:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Still doesn't compare to the time undertaker glitched mankind through the ceiling and instead of patching it they made that his finisher

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

i love glitche from these and the UFC games, always so bizzare.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

LifeSunDeath posted:

I have heard of turtling in RTS games but never saw it before in a fighting one.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
reposting this again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOOT_3U4rZM

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Ah, the Voight-Kampff technique. Very powerful in certain circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

LifeSunDeath posted:

if anybody has the one with the guy carrying his opponent into the air like a hummingbird I'd greatly appreciate it