Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Defenestrategy posted:

Nothing wrong with wanting to be acknowledged dude. You made it to brown it's basically only a matter of time before you can dunk enough on newer black belts that someone is gonna be embarrassed enough about it to promote ya.

Lol good point, didn't think of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

we had a bjj seminar at our gym yesterday that bryce mitchell taught. it was super cool. he was really nice and relaxed and super smart. he had awesome positional awareness and i hope i picked up even a fraction of that.

near the end of it, when we split up to do some rolling, one of the black belts saw me trying to do a sweep (poorly) and he adjusted some things for me. then another BB noticed him and started harassing me, then another, and then a couple of the guys on our mma fight team saw them nerding out on me and i got passed around for a while with them to work a bunch of half guard shenanigans. it was super cool and i only "missed out" on a little of the tail end of the event over it.

s-step senseis! w-what are you doing?!

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
Doing 5 minute rounds today and was very in control the whole time, got side, then mount, then back then tried a few submissions from each place but wasn’t able to land anything. the guy I was rolling with just went elbows hard in and big defence. Sucked for him and boring for me. I think I should have just tapped from top position and reset because he was playing like his life depended on it and I was not good enough to land anything. Sigh.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

stramit posted:

Doing 5 minute rounds today and was very in control the whole time, got side, then mount, then back then tried a few submissions from each place but wasn’t able to land anything. the guy I was rolling with just went elbows hard in and big defence. Sucked for him and boring for me. I think I should have just tapped from top position and reset because he was playing like his life depended on it and I was not good enough to land anything. Sigh.

Sharpen your double and triple attacks, no matter how solid the defense you physically cant defend your arms, legs, and neck sufficiently at the same time if you're intent on just turtling up and not creating scrambles.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

knuthgrush posted:

we had a bjj seminar at our gym yesterday that bryce mitchell taught.

How much time did he spend on how they're going to take away are guns

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

Sharpen your double and triple attacks, no matter how solid the defense you physically cant defend your arms, legs, and neck sufficiently at the same time if you're intent on just turtling up and not creating scrambles.

I am still a beginner, but yes this is what I need to do.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Had an interesting event happen the other night. One of the people I train with has a little one that sometimes plays in front of the gym. Well he must have forgot about his ipad and this random dude passes by and casually picks it up and takes off with it. Someone in the gym noticed and the parent, my professor and I run across the straight to confront him and get the ipad back. Dude gave us attitude the whole time, like he didnt know what we were talking about, but we basically encircled him so he couldnt take off with it. He eventually gave it up but continued with the attitude even after he handed it over.

Dude has no idea how close he came to having a very bad day had he decided to become physical. Im not sure what he was thinking stealing in front of a Jiu Jitsu gym.

Defenestrategy posted:

Nothing wrong with wanting to be acknowledged dude. You made it to brown it's basically only a matter of time before you can dunk enough on newer black belts that someone is gonna be embarrassed enough about it to promote ya.

This.

I just got my fourth stripe on my purple belt. At my old gym I would have already been a one stripe brown belt (I got my purple belt at the end of 2019). Im behind all my friends in terms of rank at my old gym despite being more than capable of handling the brown belt in my current gym because of two things:

1. It was a tad mcdojo and it promoted people very fast in order to make money off belt promotions (500 for a BB).
2. Switching gyms will actually set you back since your new gym really doesnt know you.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

2. Switching gyms will actually set you back since your new gym really doesnt know you.

From talking to a number of coaches, this is especially true the higher the belt in question is because it's perceived as more of an endorsement of character, etc. Some guy you promoted to blue belt turns out to be a shithead? People in the local or broader BJJ community probably won't think of them as a representative of your gym. One of your black belts, though? Ehhhhh... it's not a great look.

Sucks for the people switching gyms late into a belt, but given a lot of the stuff that's been in the news the last few years, I can totally understand why coaches would want to play it safe and take their time to evaluate someone beyond their demonstrated grappling skill.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Is there an equivalent of this thread for hobbyist striking anywhere? I’ve had some fun in beginner kickboxing classes at my gym.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

butros posted:

How much time did he spend on how they're going to take away are guns

None. All the conversation was bjj related save for a couple of bits about adjustments self defense (nuts and eyeballs are fair game) and mma (if they have to hit you in the head, make sure its the top of the head and not the squishy bits).

I don't know what he's like as a person but he seems to be a competent grappler.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Head Bee Guy posted:

Is there an equivalent of this thread for hobbyist striking anywhere? I’ve had some fun in beginner kickboxing classes at my gym.

I'd wander into that thread as well. Started kickboxing before my bjj classes a few months ago and I do "normal" (?) boxing in my garage with my bestie. Would totes be down to read what others are up to regarding getting knocked upside the head.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Nestharken posted:

From talking to a number of coaches, this is especially true the higher the belt in question is because it's perceived as more of an endorsement of character, etc. Some guy you promoted to blue belt turns out to be a shithead? People in the local or broader BJJ community probably won't think of them as a representative of your gym. One of your black belts, though? Ehhhhh... it's not a great look.

Actually this kind of goes both ways. I totally agree with you on the character of the person that walks into a new gym from another one for sure, but this also goes for gyms as well. The person may have a very legit reason for leaving even in the upper belt range. I had a personal event happen at my old gym that basically was a "crossing the line" moment for me and I was surprised no one (especially the black belts) confronted the owner after it happened. Anyone curious can PM me as they should be on the lookout for this type of behavior in their gym as well as it can be perceived as "good ol boy" mentality, but I dont want to discuss it on a public forum.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

knuthgrush posted:

None. All the conversation was bjj related save for a couple of bits about adjustments self defense (nuts and eyeballs are fair game)

This reminds me of a sad/funny story. A long time ago when I was but a freshly minted blue belt with simultaneous year and some change muay thai experience one of my friends got married and he's a big nerd for medieval/fantasy stuff, so for the bachelor party the bestman found some HEMA muckity muck, been on history channel had some credits as a consultant for medieval fight tv/movies all this stuff and booked us a three hour lesson in medieval sword fightery. I was down for it, I had some previous experience in college with fencing and it seemed neat and it was fun, until for some reason or another the bestman let it out of the bag that I studied martial arts so the guy goes on this weird rear end screed about the fetishization of eastern martial arts or whatever, then he starts talking about how he has these medieval grappling manual of arms and wanted to show off how "western martial arts" deals with the mount, so he lays down and tells me to get on mount. I was 25, a sturdy 6'1 @ 220, and dude was maybe mid to late 40's and a fair bit shorter and lighter than me.

So I get in the generic mount position, no grape vine, was just gonna hold him down until presumably he does a trap and roll. No big deal right?

Wrong, what he does instead is he grabs my sack. In short order I go "what the gently caress!" pop up to knee on belly and am prepared to just start punching a mudhole in the guys face when he says "See! I'm out of mount" and the rest of the bachelor party applauds and I'm sitting there with a picture perfect knee on belly wondering if I should ruin the bachelor party by breaking the guys face.

Long story short, my first and last experience with being a victim of a classic self defense move was "This pissed me off and if I wanted to I could have put the dude in the hospital for it."

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

That's some solid self control on your part. I tend to flail about if someone grabs ahold of my coin purse with mal intent.

EDIT: grab their coin purse in a threatening manner, it doesn't cost you anything.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Defenestrategy posted:

This reminds me of a sad/funny story. A long time ago when I was but a freshly minted blue belt with simultaneous year and some change muay thai experience one of my friends got married and he's a big nerd for medieval/fantasy stuff, so for the bachelor party the bestman found some HEMA muckity muck, been on history channel had some credits as a consultant for medieval fight tv/movies all this stuff and booked us a three hour lesson in medieval sword fightery. I was down for it, I had some previous experience in college with fencing and it seemed neat and it was fun, until for some reason or another the bestman let it out of the bag that I studied martial arts so the guy goes on this weird rear end screed about the fetishization of eastern martial arts or whatever, then he starts talking about how he has these medieval grappling manual of arms and wanted to show off how "western martial arts" deals with the mount, so he lays down and tells me to get on mount. I was 25, a sturdy 6'1 @ 220, and dude was maybe mid to late 40's and a fair bit shorter and lighter than me.

So I get in the generic mount position, no grape vine, was just gonna hold him down until presumably he does a trap and roll. No big deal right?

Wrong, what he does instead is he grabs my sack. In short order I go "what the gently caress!" pop up to knee on belly and am prepared to just start punching a mudhole in the guys face when he says "See! I'm out of mount" and the rest of the bachelor party applauds and I'm sitting there with a picture perfect knee on belly wondering if I should ruin the bachelor party by breaking the guys face.

Long story short, my first and last experience with being a victim of a classic self defense move was "This pissed me off and if I wanted to I could have put the dude in the hospital for it."

tbf he did get out of mount

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Luv 2 demonstrate the superiority of my medieval grappling manuals by... *checks notes*  it says here, "sexually assaulting a bachelor party guest where I've been hired as entertainment"??? Wait just a minute,

(That sounds pretty hosed up and I'm sorry you were put through it!)

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Has anyone watched Rocha 50/50 of the arms for kimura trap game? Looking to pick up something to refine a kimura funnel system but danaher just doesnt shut up

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

flashman posted:

Has anyone watched Rocha 50/50 of the arms for kimura trap game? Looking to pick up something to refine a kimura funnel system but danaher just doesnt shut up

Yeah it's good.

Also the bachelor story reminds me ofa training partner of mine who at his bachelor party his friends made him put on his gi and then a stripper came out and rolled with him.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
As a beginner i'm really enjoying the Rob and Rory from bjjconcepts are putting out. Seems to be taught in a way that allows for acceleration of learning. I wish more schools taught like this instead of 'move of the day', drill, spar. I'm trying out a lot of their stuff when there is open mat and I think it's working well.

They have a big youtube playlist with some really good stuff that's free. Anyway thought this might help out some white / early blue belts. Likely good for higher belts that are looking to teach or systematise their BJJ also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3s66oIhVUk.

Playlist Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3s66oIhVUk&list=PLNbZ1gPk7zqzbiFjpMlzIEVZAGROJ6G4C

e: If you want a 'quick hit' of the playlist and want to skip the absolute beginner stuff I would watch video 1, then skip to video 7.

stramit fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 13, 2022

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

tbf he did get out of mount

And thus the perfidious eastern martial arts where destroyed and everyone recognized thr pure superiority of european grappling techniques.

FouRPlaY
May 5, 2010

stramit posted:

As a beginner i'm really enjoying the Rob and Rory from bjjconcepts are putting out. Seems to be taught in a way that allows for acceleration of learning. I wish more schools taught like this instead of 'move of the day', drill, spar. I'm trying out a lot of their stuff when there is open mat and I think it's working well.

They have a big youtube playlist with some really good stuff that's free. Anyway thought this might help out some white / early blue belts. Likely good for higher belts that are looking to teach or systematise their BJJ also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3s66oIhVUk.

e: If you want a 'quick hit' of the playlist and want to skip the absolute beginner stuff I would watch video 1, then skip to video 7.

Oh man, this looks like exactly what I've been after: the club I joined seems great, but once you know what's going on. Thanks for passing this on

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
SA stripped the playlist link for the embed :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3s66oIhVUk&list=PLNbZ1gPk7zqzbiFjpMlzIEVZAGROJ6G4C

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Any recommendations for where to train in Seattle, Vegas and Atlanta? Any no-gi would be great. I'm also interested in MMA or boxing gyms

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Waroduce posted:

Any recommendations for where to train in Seattle, Vegas and Atlanta? Any no-gi would be great. I'm also interested in MMA or boxing gyms

Atlanta. Creighton MMA, Nucleus Jiujitsu, and Helix Jiujitsu have great No Gi classes. Creighton and Helix are fairly big schools while nucleus is fairly small, but the owners are great and know their poo poo. We also have Team Octopus here who are huge and know their poo poo although I cant vouche for how chill or not chill they are.

We also have An american top team affiliate here although ive heard those guys are really not chill.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

Atlanta. Creighton MMA, Nucleus Jiujitsu, and Helix Jiujitsu have great No Gi classes. Creighton and Helix are fairly big schools while nucleus is fairly small, but the owners are great and know their poo poo. We also have Team Octopus here who are huge and know their poo poo although I cant vouche for how chill or not chill they are.

We also have An american top team affiliate here although ive heard those guys are really not chill.

Marcelo Alonso's gym in Seattle. Ivan Salaverry does nogi and mma stuff. I know Marcelo is cool with drop ins, not sure about Ivan.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Rodrigo Feijão came to our gym tonight and it was a great time. We trained at like 4x the energy we normally do. Learned a lot about keeping back control and got to have a conversation in Portuguese for the first time in years. Was a hoot.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Every time I get inside heel hooked it is my ankle that feels like it is going to explode and my knee feels completely fine. I can’t tell if my training partners have bad mechanics or if I need to increase my ankle health/flexibility

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Been playing around with single leg x, except when I climb the legs, I switch to an outside ashi grip on the legs before attempting to bring them down. Anyone know if this is a legit thing? It works so far, just wondering if this is a dead end that works only because my training partners are brown/purple belts?

I don't know if this works on black belts, generally because when I transfer from shin to shin into single leg x they're already blasting out of it before I can do anything let alone flip to a outside ashi grip.

Bolt Yaride
Oct 3, 2021

by Azathoth
This talk of belts is hitting me. Currently a 6 year blue belt, 7 years training. Changed gym twice. Seeing all my friends who started at the same time get purps and blues sucks but I'm pleased for them.

Need to get less poo poo quickly

Bolt Yaride
Oct 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Oh yeah. I feel I've got much worse since pandemic. 1 year break and put on 10+kgs. poo poo sucks

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Defenestrategy posted:

Been playing around with single leg x, except when I climb the legs, I switch to an outside ashi grip on the legs before attempting to bring them down. Anyone know if this is a legit thing? It works so far, just wondering if this is a dead end that works only because my training partners are brown/purple belts?

I don't know if this works on black belts, generally because when I transfer from shin to shin into single leg x they're already blasting out of it before I can do anything let alone flip to a outside ashi grip.

You mean your legs? Like you switch the lock? Yes that's a thing, seems less common than other attacks but Lachlan teaches it and I've seen high level guys go for it in comp videos.

BB are probably blasting through because they're not off balance from first contact. I mean guessing because I can't see but that's symptomatic.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Belts don't exist.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

You mean your legs? Like you switch the lock? Yes that's a thing, seems less common than other attacks but Lachlan teaches it and I've seen high level guys go for it in comp videos.

Yea, I like it because landing in outside ashi makes peoples brain fizzle because theyre so used to landing in just a regular ashi position which buys me sometime to attack the feet.

As to your diagnosis. Its probably correct.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Xguard86 posted:

BB are probably blasting through because they're not off balance from first contact. I mean guessing because I can't see but that's symptomatic.

Yeah, pretty much this. It can be useful, but it's not as strong as inside sankaku, etc., and there's an escape from it straight into a back take if you're not careful. It does give you more leverage for the sweep against a standing opponent than SLX does, in my experience.

If BBs are blasting right out of your SLX, that might also mean that you're getting dangerous enough with it that they feel like they have to take it seriously. Assuming you aren't just pulling them into mount, try wrestling up instead if the SLX fails.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

Like this? He covered this at heelhook camp last year. Your goal from here is to reap their knee down to the mat and start heelhooking, yeah?

It's good to have your legs outside when you're finishing, but it's harder to expose the heel in the first place. If both legs are on the outside, and they're offbalanced in a way that means you can still expose the heel - it's fine, go for it. But when both your legs are outside, they have an opportunity to put their weight down in such a way that it becomes hard to expose, and there's opportunities for them to expose your back like this:

You can see it happen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQhGRC3xnFU&t=391s
I think this is the point where he stopped using outside ashi as an 'exposing' position and only as a finishing position.

So like, it's flawed? But it took a world class leg lock specialist years to figure out why.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks thats exactly it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'm looking for a drill/game.

I've been teaching guard passing to a beginner's class. It's tough, as passing is complicated, so one been trying to make it general.

I want some sort of positional sparring situation that allows for total newbs to get a feel for what passing is like. But its so easy to just get stuck in closed out half guard. I figure there's maybe some kids game that people use to teach this stuff. It should be day-1 simple. Any ideas?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Both kids and adults play a lot of "pass or sweep" at my gym:

One person lays down, the other person is standing up, just far enough away that no one can get a grip.

Person standing up wants to get grips and pass, person laying down wants to get grips and sweep.

If someone either passes and locks down a position like side control, reset and go again. Same if laying down person sweeps.

The game itself is very simple, you'll just spend a lot of time teaching people why what they're doing isn't a part of the game:

Running around the person without getting grips first (shouldn't) work.

Closing up someone in your closed guard isn't a sweep.

Stepping right into the closed guard and getting onto your knees isn't a good idea.

It's not a pass if you aren't past the knee shield yet (this gets taken way too far by one kid who just won't understand or admit that once he's crunched into a ball in a pseudo fetal position, and literally cannot move because he's being smashed, the fact that one knee is crushed up against his ribs doesn't matter. (I tried challenging the kid to "do something with your knee shield then", but really he just doesn't want to admit he's lost.

Edit: works well for warm up, king of the hill, or an alternative to rolling.

We also use it as an alternative to takedown king of the hill if we want to more easily let, say, 100lb ladies process through the same line waiting on king of the hell that also has 200lb former wrestlers in it: just let anyone who wants to opt for pass or sweep instead for that particular matching.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 20, 2022

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

seconding "pass or sweep!" especially as a white belt, it's really good to get heaps of reps in against a bunch of people at a decent intensity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yeah that sounds line exactly what I'm looking for.

What happens when someone just gets stuck in say a closed or half guard? Reset after a few moments?