Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I thought that that line was a bit of a reminder to the character and to the audience 'Homelander can plausibly be anywhere and listening/watching anything'.

In a show that is about all the other characters variously conspiring or trying to hide things from Homelander, it's a useful tool for the writers to give themselves to be able to say 'actually Homelander heard that'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 9 hours!)

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Imo they seem to be two sides of the same coin. They share powers, a lover, and basically a son. Both of them are willing to engage in heinous acts to pursue their goals. The more interesting part for me is where they differ.

Homelander is fundamentally incapable of making friends. He is so viscerally repulsive that even his own son hates him. Meanwhile, Butcher is a pretty likable guy. He'll put you through hell, but there are plenty of people who would go to bat for him including that same child and his mother.

Now, you could take all this and claim that the only difference is that Homelander is a god and butcher isn't, that the power has shaped who they are and if Butcher were to have the power Homelander had he'd act in the exact same way. I don't think it's as simple as that, though.

i think butcher just has a base level confidence in himself, which gets shaken sometimes because he's also a huge dickhead and it makes people furious at him, but he bounces back pretty easily. he has a normal human desire for approval from certain people, mainly MM and Hughie, but he'll push through without it.

homelander on the other hand has absolutely no self-confidence at all, due to his upbringing. he's become addicted to violence as his escape from that, it's his only means of gratification. he can coerce people into appearing to care about him.

that's the only way i can think of them as two sides of the same coin but i don't think it's neat or even intended, more that they just have become intertwined via circumstances beginning with butcher wanting revenge over a woman.

i don't think butcher would end up anything like homelander if he had permanent powers. he might be terrible, but not in the same way at all.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

runaway dog posted:

when homelander said she was a deep sleeper, seemed like he was implying he comes in and does stuff to her, probably just reading into things though.

It was an just an implied threat "I've been in your bedroom".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Butcher has experienced things that homelander hasn't and never can, so he would always have some humanity.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Khanstant posted:

i loved the cheers when the cop drank the pesi. everyone so loving pumped YES HE DRANK THE BEPIS THE PEPSI HAS BEEN DRANKED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn8pwoNWseM

This is technically a Good Neighbor sketch so I'm postin it

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Homelander is going to send a picture of herself sleeping. You know, just as a way of being like, "hey, not cool what you did plotting to betray me." Do little things like replace her dog with a slightly different dog, or, you know, change the furniture in her house so she thinks she's shrinking. You know, basic stuff, most of it he learned from Vought.

The whole point is to isolate her and make her feel like she's going insane. You know. Basically, just plant a seed, and then she just kinda hangs herself, so it's super nonviolent.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

oh jay posted:

Homelander is going to send a picture of herself

Definitely a way to change from the comics

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

oh jay posted:

Homelander is going to send a picture of herself sleeping. You know, just as a way of being like, "hey, not cool what you did plotting to betray me." Do little things like replace her dog with a slightly different dog, or, you know, change the furniture in her house so she thinks she's shrinking. You know, basic stuff, most of it he learned from Vought.

The whole point is to isolate her and make her feel like she's going insane. You know. Basically, just plant a seed, and then she just kinda hangs herself, so it's super nonviolent.

Hey Starlight, exclamation point. I just wanted to say I appreciate you for calling me out for being a quote violent rear end in a top hat end quote. I am sorry for all the poo poo I put you through over the past couple of weeks. Parentheses, yelling at you at work comma, offering to break into your boss' house, comma, take sleeping pictures of her, et cetera, et cetera. End parentheses, wincing emoji. There is no excuses for that B. period. S. exclamation point, exclamation point, exclamation point. Oh man, this looks nice, and it's 40% off. Anyway, I don't think I'm going to do super heroing anymore.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

withak posted:

It was an just an implied threat "I've been in your bedroom".

I just feel like based on homelander's personality, it wouldn't surprise me if he was taking a few....hand related liberties.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

Is Becca Homelander’s only SA victim? If he can have super babies why aren’t their dozens of Ryans? Do we ever get the full story of him & Becca? What made her different or special to Homelander, why her and not, like, Ashley or one of his other peons?

In s1 even the doctor that raised / experimented on Homelander seemed surprised that he got someone pregnant. It's definitely supposed to be a freak occurrence.

Yes we got the full story. I don't think there's a reason he did it or picked her. He probably just wanted to gently caress, she said no, he raped her.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I freeze-framed Supersonic's body, and he still has his face, it's just a mess. It also seems like he maybe has some device embedded in his mouth that perhaps was part of his costume that we never saw, and I wonder if that's tied to his voice-based superpower or something.

The way this show has gone, I doubt Victoria injecting her daughter is something as basic as "she wants her to have superpowers in the coming normie holocaust," so I'm leaning toward "daughter has terminal medical condition" and this is pure animal desperation on her part.

Also, is spoiler discussion based on next week's teaser kosher in this thread? I noticed in one of the flashes that A-Train seemed to be confronting that one supe who's been tough on the black community (in fact it seems to be preceded by that dude attacking a room full of people). Curious if we might get to see A-Train finally have to try using his powers.

Jerusalem posted:

I think it would be hilarious if Homelander just burst into tears or something if somebody/something actually does manage to hurt him, even if only a little bit. As far as I know he's NEVER felt physical pain in his life so the sensation would probably be terrifying to him.

I'm imagining this.

Bust Rodd posted:

Is Becca Homelander’s only SA victim? If he can have super babies why aren’t their dozens of Ryans? Do we ever get the full story of him & Becca? What made her different or special to Homelander, why her and not, like, Ashley or one of his other peons?

Maybe Homelander actually is normally incapable of having kids, but Becca was a supe with a mutant uterus that produces superbabies.

Cojawfee posted:

I wonder if there is any rhyme or reason to how people get powers beyond "whatever seems coolest for the plot". I was thinking that maybe it's a subconscious thing. Butcher hates Homelander, and he ends up getting Homelander's powers when he's dosed with temp V. But then I don't know why Hughie would get teleportation, unless he subconsciously desires to teleport away from things. Maybe it's just based on genetic traits.

I was kinda wondering this myself. Butcher is essentially a monster, and gains a monster's power. Hughie more than anything wants to be done with this poo poo. Like yeah he's all in on killing Homelander, but the first two seasons were all him being completely out of his depth, so perhaps being able to teleport is some expression of his desire to get the gently caress away. I suspect it will end up purely random, though, and not somehow tied to some aspect of the person. Unless, like, the Deep as a baby had some big affinity for marine life.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I loved the bad product line. Those who know, know why.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Wheeee posted:

lol they'd be injecting it into every new enlisted and telling them it's a vaccine

More like they'd be injecting everyone who made it past a certain rank and/or has proven themselves to be reliable in following orders. So your officer corps at Captain or above, and units like the Ranger Regiment where you have enlisted who are generally a bit more specialized and have to undergo some more stringent training. Then from there just sort them into groups based on power set and deploy as necessary.

Knowing that the temp V has some variance in power set and power level isn't a bad thing from a military strategy perspective - means you're always potentially one dose away from having the right solution to a problem and the military has no shortage of bodies to expend until they get what they want. And eventually they would use it enough times to maybe get some idea of what factors influence the power set, so that then they can select for exactly what they want with a fair amount of confidence.

Bust Rodd posted:

There is no way Becca was the only, or even the first - it is implied pretty strongly (if not outright stated) that there were other assaults prior to Becca. Homelander being the sociopath he is probably assaulted many people but Vought was able to hush it up or make it disappear since there was no lingering evidence like a baby to worry about. Stillwell in particular was there to clean up supe-related messes as much as help steer the business of marketing the Seven.

Ashley and the other underlings, or even people outside of Voight who obviously love/fear/admire/etc him, are playing the roles that Homelander expects. There's no thrill in going after them, because they'd defer willingly for one reason or another. Look at what he did with Maeve and now Starlight - taking people who are defiant or willing to stand up to him and eventually breaking them down until they have to give him what he wants. Alternatively Stillwell and Stormfront confronted him as equals and manipulated him into some semblance of a relationship for their own ends, but the dynamic there was obviously way different.

In S1 the flashback to the Vought Christmas party with Becca and Butcher it seems like Homelander doesn't care about them in any particular way at first. Butcher is obviously unimpressed (or not falling all over himself in awe) when they are introduced to Homelander, Butcher makes some comment about not liking fancy parties or supes (which Homelander probably hears), and Becca is a excited about the new job to demonstrate her capability but also has some anxiety because of the stakes (like anyone would be) so she's looking for a way to impress her bosses. The reasons are really irrelevant - he is a cruel, sadistic monster and would've rationalized it even if none of those things had happened. Homelander saw an opportunity to take something that he wanted, "teach a lesson" to people that he felt were not sufficiently deferential or grateful to him, and twist the knife in the sense of blowing up an otherwise happy relationship (Becca keeps the secret and it hurts her, or she tells Butcher and gives him yet another reason to dislike supes, or they split up over it, etc).

The only "special" part is that Becca became pregnant, which is not something anyone even thought was possible and that they still don't understand how it even happened.

Habibi posted:

The way this show has gone, I doubt Victoria injecting her daughter is something as basic as "she wants her to have superpowers in the coming normie holocaust," so I'm leaning toward "daughter has terminal medical condition" and this is pure animal desperation on her part.

Seems like she just sees being a supe as pivotal to her success and stability in life, so she wants her daughter to have that as well? Especially if it seems like Homelander is eventually going to snap and impose supe-supremacy one way or the other.

The show being what it is, I foresee the whole thing backfiring - her daughter will not either develop powers (and need another V dose), develop powers that can't be controlled easily, or develop powers that are immensely hosed up or disfiguring and that will force Victoria to go to Stan Edgar for help. Even if he has been temporarily deposed he still has the most access or influence at Voight (and with the government, corporations, etc) and could provide the resources necessary to keep her daughter from being too hosed up by the V injection. Especially once Homelander has whatever confrontation with Soldier Boy and loses his powers (temporarily), gets his rear end beat, etc in public.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 12, 2022

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
We don't need the scene of Homelander threatening Victoria through her daughter to get her to sell out Edgar, anymore than we need a scene with Supersonic's brutal murder. It's pretty unambiguous how it went down.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/VoughtIntl/status/1536060839228317696

We did it lads!

It's Maevin' Time

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Golden Bee posted:

Definitely a way to change from the comics

Where's the trans person on the 7 we were very hot for cultural inclusivity pandering in 2020

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
That's a good deal

https://twitter.com/VoughtIntl/status/1530549457288413185?s=19

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

The comment about Starlight being a deep sleeper was imo just a bad and creepy joke. The show didn’t dwell on it, Starlight wasn’t outraged by it, it was just a fleeting moment and another example of Homelander’s inappropriateness and “I can do whatever I want” reinforcement.

He’s not going to creep into her room or send her photos of her asleep. Why would he need to do this? He doesn’t need to surprise her or catch her unaware to do anything he wants. Sneaking around is that someone without unlimited power and invulnerability would have to do.

It’ll be interesting to see how he’s neutered by the end of the season. Obviously he’s going to feature in season 4, he’s pivotal to the show being as compelling as it is. My money is on Maeve and possibly even The Deep getting killed off, and obviously one of Frenchie or Kimiko given they’ve done the whole one day away from retirement “let’s leave this all behind” speech. I could believe that it turns around for them too and they decide to stay, because of something good Butcher does too.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Durzel posted:

The comment about Starlight being a deep sleeper was imo just a bad and creepy joke. The show didn’t dwell on it, Starlight wasn’t outraged by it, it was just a fleeting moment and another example of Homelander’s inappropriateness and “I can do whatever I want” reinforcement.

He’s not going to creep into her room or send her photos of her asleep. Why would he need to do this? He doesn’t need to surprise her or catch her unaware to do anything he wants. Sneaking around is that someone without unlimited power and invulnerability would have to do.

Except he's absolutely a creep that loves sneaking up on people and creeping around. Half of the big twists in the show start with Homelander admitting he was creeping around when he found something. Like hell, he was playing around with Victoria's tampons for fun. It's not a matter of whether he needs to, he's just a creep

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 12, 2022

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Goons stop being creepy about sexual assault challenge 2022

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Thundercracker posted:

Except he's absolutely a creep that loves sneaking up on people and creeping around. Half of the big twists in the show start with Homelander admitting he was creeping around when he found something. Like hell, he was playing around with Victoria's tampons for fun. It's not a matter of whether he needs to, he's just a creep

Hell, he was rifling wmt
Yeah, you’re not wrong in anything you’ve said there. I just don’t think it’s really something the show will develop, with Starlight, because there’s bigger things in play. Starlight already knows how evil he is, more so than anyone else besides Maeve, so there is no revelation nor does it move the story forwards in him actually watching her sleep, or worse.

The fact the show didn’t dwell on it as being bigger than the poor taste joke it was presented as means that’s all there is to it in my opinion.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I just went back and looked at some Season 1 clips and without the muscle definition lines on the suit Anothony Star actually looks a bit soft. They definitely did some tucking and work on that.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 9 hours!)

a cool between seasons episode, or even after the show, would be an in-universe hour of dawn of the seven. i want to see homelander hamming it up as the good guy. i want to see girls getting it done.

Alchenar posted:

I just went back and looked at some Season 1 clips and without the muscle definition lines on the suit Anothony Star actually looks a bit soft. They definitely did some tucking and work on that.

i thought he was supposed to be obviously physically just a normal, skinny guy under the padded suit. he doesn't need any normal muscles and probably has no fighting skills at all since he doesn't need them, he just tanks everything and lasers people.

there might be a scene in his undoing when his suit gets blasted off and padding goes flying everywhere.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Durzel posted:

Yeah, you’re not wrong in anything you’ve said there. I just don’t think it’s really something the show will develop, with Starlight, because there’s bigger things in play. Starlight already knows how evil he is, more so than anyone else besides Maeve, so there is no revelation nor does it move the story forwards in him actually watching her sleep, or worse.

The fact the show didn’t dwell on it as being bigger than the poor taste joke it was presented as means that’s all there is to it in my opinion.

I think it's just not something that needs development but is consistent. Homelander is an eavesdropping, home invasion creep. Like if you're in his sights you can betcha he's gonna go through your poo poo when you're out or have his ear to the wall when he thinks you're talking about him.

It's just another subversion of Superman where he'd never do that (except he totally does all the time)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I thought the deep sleeper line was more of him bullying her about her being assaulted by The Deep while also being an implied threat.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022

tokin opposition posted:

I liked the post that described a rape victim as homelander's lover.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

tokin opposition posted:

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

2nd level spells posted:

I liked the post that described a rape victim as homelander's lover.

That's not what I said.

I said that they might have a short-lived attempt at a relationship, if Homelander shows the slightest bit of humanity. That was based on my knowledge of tropes I'd seen before (the heroine having issues with the "main" interest, Hughie), and due to every other season having Homelander in a relationship (Stillwell in S1, Stormfront in S2).

Never said anything about them ending up lovers, however. Homelander's simply too screwed up for it to get that far.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're talking about the person talking about Butcher and Homelander both being Becca's "Lovers"

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Fionordequester posted:

That's not what I said.

I said that they might have a short-lived attempt at a relationship, if Homelander shows the slightest bit of humanity. That was based on my knowledge of tropes I'd seen before (the heroine having issues with the "main" interest, Hughie), and due to every other season having Homelander in a relationship (Stillwell in S1, Stormfront in S2).

Never said anything about them ending up lovers, however. Homelander's simply too screwed up for it to get that far.

:ok:

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Gaius Marius posted:

They're talking about the person talking about Butcher and Homelander both being Becca's "Lovers"

Ahhh... Gotcha!

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I mean positing that the heroine will fall for the (rapist, ,mass murdering) bad boy if he shows his sensitive side a little isnt a great take either.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Christ this thread goes some awful places sometimes.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

massive spider posted:

I mean positing that the heroine will fall for the (rapist, ,mass murdering) bad boy if he shows his sensitive side a little isnt a great take either.

The Trope that spawned a thousand abusive relationships

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Bussamove posted:

Christ this thread goes some awful places sometimes.

Every thread need its "Is Stormfront really a nazi?"

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

Every thread need its "Is Stormfront really a nazi?"

I mean... At least with me, it's just me regurgitating tropes from lesser TV series, as well as a running theme regarding Homelander. You'll never see me arguing that it's actually a good idea.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 13, 2022

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Fionordequester posted:

That's not what I said.

The most charitable thing that can be said about this take is that it’s basically the arc of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. This is a very different show, Homelander has been a dick since the first episode, consistently so. The closest he has ever got to being a sympathetic character was when we found out more about his childhood, and how he was a lab rat and a failed experiment. That was a fleeting moment too and book ended with him lasering Stillwell’s eyes out.

There is absolutely no chance at all that they’re going to do anything close to a romantic heel turn for Homelander and Starlight, and it would be pretty gross if they tried.

Homelander ending up being a good guy or even much of a sympathetic character doesn’t really work imo when he’s basically invulnerable, it destroys the central tension of the show.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 13, 2022

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Durzel posted:

Homelander ending up being a good guy or even much of a sympathetic character doesn’t really work imo when he’s basically invulnerable, it destroys the central tension of the show.

Indeed—which is why any attempts at "redeeming" him are doomed to fail, for as long as there's no greater threat. Antony Starr is simply too good as the villain—his performance is central to the show.

I will also admit, I've watched a few too many chick flick shows growing up, by proxy of my Mom and sister (Charmed, Pretty Little Liars, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, that sort of thing).

That said, the building blocks are there for them to either do it for real, or mock the idea in some way (like Homelander himself attempting to exploit these tropes):

----------------------------------------------------------------

1) The show has an established pattern of putting Homelander in a relationship each season, before then inevitably dashing it at or near the end of the respective season.

2) The heroine and her main interest are having relationship troubles at the moment.

3) Homelander is almost as tragic as he is monstrous... almost.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Mind you, I don't want this to happen. I'm just spitting out a wild take, so I can clap myself on the back if I turn out to be right :mmmhmm: !

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
I think the closest to we'll get to a moment of sympathy for Homelander is a scene where we and he realizes that because of his origin, the people who used him, and the society he's in he could've never become anything else and could never be happy or a real person. But in the end that stills means he needs to be put down like a mad animal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
She was already plotting to kill him and that was before he murdered a friend of hers, showed it to her, and threatened to do the same to her boyfriend. I really don't see it.