Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Finally some mental stimulation

From here on out my source jumps between the episodes originally published in the paper and ones that came from later collected editions more or less at will, so I'm just gonna post them in the order I get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

This strip continues to be extremely hosed up.
"Hey, remember how we chop off your feet?"
"Yeah, that's kinda annoying I guess."

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

"Nemi, but in an office setting" was a pretty bad idea.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Classic Nancy 1947

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

See, this is why you make sure you have the Shady Operating Theater and the Disreputable Surgeon on board before you start doing radical brain surgery kidnappings.

Also, probably shouldn't do them in front of law enforcement witnesses, but that ship has also sailed.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Alhazred posted:

"Nemi, but in an office setting" was a pretty bad idea.

Yeah, Nemi could be vaguely annoying, but it was never as bad as THIS

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/11/02

Brenda Starr 12/2-4/48

Smokey Stover 6/13/48

Everyday Movies 4/3/35

"And besides all that, Theresa, he doesn't think women should work after they're married."

Bonus Ad! I like this one for the sheer drama in the first few panels ... plus the bus full of suds.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

Prince Valiant

Some really nice detail work in this one. Val's gripping Aleta's hand real hard.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

how loving long has moz been telling this story already in real time?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

He has never not been telling this story. Time is a circle without beginning or end.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Phantom creators have finally figured out that instead of having to set up dramatic scenarios that tease (and never pull through on) big changes in the Phantom universe and commit to one storyline, they can just rapid-fire these scenarios in endless variations as long as every so often they bookend them with a "what if" panel.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
If Phantom had not been posted for 6 months straight and resumed today there would be literally no change to the story other than missing out on a cool hypothetical about Sarvarna kicking rear end. Not gonna say the strip should actually be dropped but really makes me think. I mean gee at least we got to see Sarvarna be cool.

Jucika "272 - Jucika Chooses A Hat"

"273 - Jucika And The Impatient Customers"

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Middle panel on the second one is some prime av material

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

My Lovely Horse posted:

Phantom creators have finally figured out that instead of having to set up dramatic scenarios that tease (and never pull through on) big changes in the Phantom universe and commit to one storyline, they can just rapid-fire these scenarios in endless variations as long as every so often they bookend them with a "what if" panel.

Hey it worked for DC comics in the Silver Age.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

To be fair that does seem to be the period all these legacy and long-running cartoonists would rather be working in.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Cutting off the 80s paper tour early because Redeye apparently can get yikes and Drabble is a nothing of a comic.

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats's site appears to have died. :smith:

Unless someone else knows a low-effort place to find them, I guess that's it. (Although I'll try again later just in case they do renew the domain)

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Murder, Capitalism, Etc.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Hostile V posted:

Murder, Capitalism, Etc.

The wind. You're a conifer, pollinators are not involved. Also, any child of theirs is, by the apparent rules of the world, going to be an insectivore, and not interested in the nectar you don't have.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 12, 2022

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

maltesh posted:

The wind. You're a conifer, pollinators are not involved. Also, any child of theirs is, by the apparent rules of the world, going to be an insectivore, and not interested in the nectar you don't have.

the tree is too polite to acknowledge that it expects to watch them gently caress

wait, current-day holbrook has them with a kid. did it address the tree watching them gently caress???

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days March 9, 1961

I don't have kids, but isn't this the sort of thing you'd WANT to happen? It's an incredibly easy little DIY science experiment to do together.

Bizarro

Some excellent background gags in this one.

The Family Circus

Adult PJ is kind of weirding me out.

FoxTrot

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Medenmath posted:

Prince Valiant

Foster is the acknowledged master of faces, but Tom Yeates is also following well in his footsteps, panel 4 is a delight.

That look of joy and realization on his face is just amazing.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Adult PJ is kind of weirding me out.

His tux is straight out of the 70's

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Samovar posted:

Yeah, Nemi could be vaguely annoying, but it was never as bad as THIS
'What if instead of Nemi laughing at them because they're all the same she laughed alongside them and sucked up to them constantly with a cheery little grin?' did not improve the concept, agreed.

Cross-posting from the newspaper spider-thread, which recently delivered a very fine panel to us all:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A 5.3" pizza isn't much to share.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

don't ship your babies

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Stultus Maximus posted:

A 5.3" pizza isn't much to share.

That's the radius not the diameter.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

EBB posted:

His tux is straight out of the 70's

So's this strip.

Modesty Blaise: Top Traitor

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

goatface posted:

That's the radius not the diameter.

:cripes:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

A 10.6" pizza isn't much to share.
:goonsay:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but for $3?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Haifisch posted:

Footrot Flats's site appears to have died. :smith:

Unless someone else knows a low-effort place to find them, I guess that's it. (Although I'll try again later just in case they do renew the domain)

Oh no!

I did really like seeing this one - it gave a nice view of life (at the time) from a place not often seen in general newspaper comics (rural New Zealand, not dogs, before anyone gets smart). I do hope it gets back up, somehow.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Synthbuttrange posted:

While there was a bit of a leadup to the storytelling part, he officially started telling it on 6/30/21.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Man's allies in our perpetual war on insects!

Mary Worth

"I'll be reporting this to HR!"

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

He's right. That lineup would get thrown out.

Rex Morgan MD

Pretty easy to convince this deluded man that he's wrong.

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Great, now I have to find out how this stupid situation where the cat adopted a mouse as her kid happened.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Samovar posted:

Oh no!

I did really like seeing this one - it gave a nice view of life (at the time) from a place not often seen in general newspaper comics (rural New Zealand, not dogs, before anyone gets smart). I do hope it gets back up, somehow.

I've started saving a lot of the comics I like to my hard drive for reasons like this. It's sort of weird but this thread has become a sort of unofficial archive for the old and the rare, and yet we all know that our own forums are tenuous at best. I've been going though old threads before the Waffleimages death, and some of them only have two or three regular strips left in dozens of pages. We are kind of comic strip historians here

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

:wtfdude:

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Pretty easy to convince this deluded man that he's wrong.

I unironically love how everyone involved in this whole operation is being SUCH HUGE SMARTASSES to one another.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

???

why would you care about this

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Very nice, very evil gift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU