Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

phosdex posted:

Hello, I've never noticed this thread before.

I am in the process of buying a house in Santa Fe. About two weeks ago I looked at a place and put an offer in. Seller got a higher offer but that fell through and now I'm closing in another 2 weeks. Did the house inspection this morning, inspector said everything is mostly good, a few small things but nothing big. Waiting on full report, some sewer scan is tomorrow. Yesterday a termite inspection took place. Not sure what's next.

Anyhow, I'm pretty excited. I moved from MN, didn't expect to find a house so fast.

I'm the fall do yourself a favor and book a soak at ten thousand waves. Love that place.

Anal congrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

spwrozek posted:

Anal congrats.

:shuckyes:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gaze upon my works ye mighty and despair

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

lol. good ole android swipe! Probably still accurate.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
got to follow along when my friend was trying to buy a house two years ago in houston and wow was it a shitshow. im a lifelong renter and have no idea how buying works, so looking at houses with her and hearing about the process was pretty interesting. everything was gone the moment it popped up on the main sites and was all going for way over the list price.

anyway reading this thread every few months is always interesting, thanks to everyone for trying to contribute something. personally, im hoping to buy at some point if the demand situation around here ever chills out. watching the property management company bring in progressively less and less qualified guys to do repairs is getting real old.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Doctor Party posted:

One thing I've noticed about this thread but also on SA in general...there's often a group think that happens that can stifle more coherent discussion.

Like someone a few pages back asking about home buying outside the USA and getting ten replies screaming we can't help you, followed by one very helpful uhh OK there are some general principles to consider regardless of market post.

Another example I find is the person asking a question and getting a generic response when they need a specific one. Like the guy who's buying in a market that isn't so hot and asks for and gets an inspection, credits etc. Like I am outside Chicago in a desirable area and no house we looked at had any sort of inspection waiving non sense going on. We asked for and received a small amount of credits for things from inspection. But every response is as if every individual market is like the worst market. I don't have experience outside my own but my experience was not similar to others I guess?

Then there is the conventional wisdom of needing to buy asap espoused by every boomer parent of ours wondering how dumb we could all be to be renting. This thread rightfully argues against this conventional wisdom. But I will definitely say i got the sense that it was a little too vociferous in its anti buying anti conventional wisdom mantra. Some of it might just be tongue and cheek never buy comments when someone is screwed by their lender or realtor or whatever. But I immediately felt an anti buy bias and read the rest of the thread through that lens.

I posted a relatively silly initial post and got reamed by motronic in a very unhelpful and rude way. I have found his posts in general to be helpful. But yeah some of it is just let me dump on this guy. That being said I am not any super savy financial or home buying guru. I am just a first time home buyer who on the whole has appreciated the advice from this thread taken with some eye rolls and grains of salt.

Every once in awhile a new person comes in the same :smug: posters berate/talk down them while maybe providing helpful info but it's more to stroke their own ego than to actually help the person. It shouldn't just be about telling people factual information, it's should be about trying to communicate relevant information without coming off as :smug:.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 12, 2022

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sir Tonk posted:

got to follow along when my friend was trying to buy a house two years ago in houston and wow was it a shitshow. im a lifelong renter and have no idea how buying works, so looking at houses with her and hearing about the process was pretty interesting. everything was gone the moment it popped up on the main sites and was all going for way over the list price.

anyway reading this thread every few months is always interesting, thanks to everyone for trying to contribute something. personally, im hoping to buy at some point if the demand situation around here ever chills out. watching the property management company bring in progressively less and less qualified guys to do repairs is getting real old.

Idk why you would trust a property management company to do anything else. Last time I rented the property management had one single guy for every trade, painting, plumbing, electrical, etc. I don’t think he was licensed with a single one., I imagine he must have had a certificate of insurance but I have no idea how.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Home warranties, seems like a good idea? The company that did the inspection gave me a brochure to get one through them, but are there recommended companies instead?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

phosdex posted:

Home warranties, seems like a good idea? The company that did the inspection gave me a brochure to get one through them, but are there recommended companies instead?

There are very few success stories of actually using a home warranty that I'm aware of. They cover less than you would think, send handymen instead of actually trained technicians, and if they end up having to actually replace anything it's done with the absolute cheapest thing that can be bought that would kinda sorta do the same thing as whatever broke.

Lots of real estate agents around here basically give them away with home sales to make people feel good. The coverage is cheap so why not? Also, remember that insurance is not a charity so there's a very good reason the coverage is inexpensive. It's because it rarely pays out anything to ayone.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

phosdex posted:

It's required in San Diego, not sure if by law or by lenders, but either way its not really regulated here.

You can report them to the Insurance Commissioner, but last I heard all you are going to get is a call on your behalf unless it is really bad.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Motronic posted:

There are very few success stories of actually using a home warranty that I'm aware of. They cover less than you would think, send handymen instead of actually trained technicians, and if they end up having to actually replace anything it's done with the absolute cheapest thing that can be bought that would kinda sorta do the same thing as whatever broke.

Lots of real estate agents around here basically give them away with home sales to make people feel good. The coverage is cheap so why not? Also, remember that insurance is not a charity so there's a very good reason the coverage is inexpensive. It's because it rarely pays out anything to ayone.
Home warranty companies will probably replace your water heater, but with the caveats Motronic mentioned. Anything major? Hah. They have multiple exclusions that you will not find out about until you try to make a claim. Things that are often excluded:
  • Anything discovered during the inspection, for obvious reasons
  • Washer, dryer, and refrigerator
  • Septic system
  • Well
  • Windows, walls, and doors
  • Roof leaks
  • Anything having to do with a pool/spa system
  • Commercial-grade kitchen appliances (Sub-Zero, Viking, Bosch, GE Monogram, and Thermador. )
  • Damage caused by plumbing leaks
  • Solar panels
  • Anything that fails within the first 30 days of ownership

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I think a decent rule of thumb is, don't get insurance/purchase warranties on anything you could afford to replace yourself. As has been pointed out, these companies offer these services because on average they make more money on it than you do. The only time to accept that arrangement is situations where not having the coverage could financially ruin you - Auto and health.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

What are the easiest signs to tell if a buyer's agent is bad? I was only referred to one guy, but it appears he retired, so I made the questionable move of asking Citi to help me find a buyer's agent. They partner with Home Captain which does not have confidence-inspiring reviews online (but I also know that online reviews always have a negative bias).

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Slugworth posted:

I think a decent rule of thumb is, don't get insurance/purchase warranties on anything you could afford to replace yourself. As has been pointed out, these companies offer these services because on average they make more money on it than you do. The only time to accept that arrangement is situations where not having the coverage could financially ruin you - Auto and health.

This makes sense for warranty. But even for homeowners insurance? I'm buying my house in cash so I don't have a lender requiring me to do anything.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

phosdex posted:

This makes sense for warranty. But even for homeowners insurance? I'm buying my house in cash so I don't have a lender requiring me to do anything.
Would you be willing to replace your house with cash if it burns down in a fire or floods or whatever? If not, then get homeowners insurance. The reason everybody gets insurance for big things like cars and houses is because it would not be feasible or desirable to pay out of pocket in the worst case scenario. And that's what insurance is, you paying for them to cover you in worst case scenarios.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

moana posted:

Would you be willing to replace your house with cash if it burns down in a fire or floods or whatever? If not, then get homeowners insurance. The reason everybody gets insurance for big things like cars and houses is because it would not be feasible or desirable to pay out of pocket in the worst case scenario. And that's what insurance is, you paying for them to cover you in worst case scenarios.

I was just confused because it seems like Slugworth is saying to not get home insurance.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

phosdex posted:

I was just confused because it seems like Slugworth is saying to not get home insurance.
I didn't read it that way, you asked about home warranties and it sounded like he was responding to that but saying that not having homeowners insurance could ruin you the same way car and health problems could.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Home warranty companies will probably replace your water heater, but with the caveats Motronic mentioned. Anything major? Hah. They have multiple exclusions that you will not find out about until you try to make a claim. Things that are often excluded:
  • Anything discovered during the inspection, for obvious reasons
  • Washer, dryer, and refrigerator
  • Septic system
  • Well
  • Windows, walls, and doors
  • Roof leaks
  • Anything having to do with a pool/spa system
  • Commercial-grade kitchen appliances (Sub-Zero, Viking, Bosch, GE Monogram, and Thermador. )
  • Damage caused by plumbing leaks
  • Solar panels
  • Anything that fails within the first 30 days of ownership

I'm not a fan of home warranties.. we were gifted one on our last house and it sucks.

Our agent did give us a brochure on the new house and all of the stuff you mentioned is all on separate modular add ons.

Still stupid but it was pretty clear what was covered in the base plan and what had to have separate add ons to get covered.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

phosdex posted:

Sorry, didn't mean *just* health and auto, those were just what sprung to mind as examples. Always have house insurance, unless you can rebuild your home from scratch out of personal savings. And if you're at the financial level where you can self-insure a home, you assuredly have a guy or gal giving you financial advice and don't need to get it from me, a person who is bad with money.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Parents are in town to discuss housing and wow would you believe it this down payment assistance comes with strings attached. Talking about being the “executive secretary” for the search and proposing two options, either they buy the place and I pay rent or they front the money for the down payment and make use of the place as needed (both their ways of controlling me).

Welp, glad I wasted that much time and effort on househunting. No free money indeed.

I’m gonna take the time to re-evaluate and build up my own all-cash down instead. See whee we are in a year or two. Things are so much easier when my parents aren’t involved, you’ll all be so much happier too.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 12, 2022

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Pollyanna posted:

Parents are in town to discuss housing and wow would you believe it this down payment assistance comes with strings attached. Talking about being the “executive secretary” for the search and proposing two options, either they buy the place and I pay rent or they front the money for the down payment and make use of the place as needed (both their ways of controlling me).

Welp, glad I wasted that much time and effort on househunting. No free money indeed.

I’m gonna take the time to re-evaluate and build up my own all-cash down instead. See whee we are in a year or two. Things are so much easier when my parents aren’t involved, you’ll all be so much happier too.

Wow that's a couple steps beyond the soft-power manipulation I was expecting. Impressively lovely. At the same time if you can get em to buy a nice house with a standing lease for sub-market rent you can pop a deadbolt on that sucker and change phone numbers, but I wouldn't want to live that life anyway. Good luck out there.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Haha I mean I can always just…not let them in. But I’m not giving them control over or unfettered access to the property, gently caress that.

Franky I’d just feel better being the one to front all the money and not have debts to pay to anyone else. I’ll wait for my inheritance to come in instead of loving with this power play poo poo.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 12, 2022

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Talking about being the “executive secretary” for the search

lmfao

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Eesh, sometimes I regret my lack of parenting while growing up, and then sometimes I really don't.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Except none of that is news? Because I'm 100% positive you described that exact scenario already quite a while ago and said you could do this without their money if you shopped in the right price range, which is what I assumed you were doing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah but now I’m pissed and in a bad mood and don’t wanna think about it.

And even then we return to the parts where parents don’t matter, where I was already going to take a step back and evaluate what I actually want. So it extra doesn’t change. Honestly all this really does is annoy me and I wanted to vent, I’ve still learned a hell of a lot from the thread which I’m infinitely grateful for. So it’s not a total waste.

But man is it annoying when people start overstepping their boundaries, especially ones you set down at the beginning :mad:

There’s also the whole “this real estate agent is showing me things with the intent of getting my parents’ money instead of my money” thing which is annoying but unsurprising.

Anyway. I’m still considering buying, just don’t wanna deal with the asspain of using their down assistance. My siblings can deal with that instead. Plan B and C it is.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 13, 2022

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Be thankful they showed their true colors to your face rather than getting stabbed in the back at some later point.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That’s what Motronic is pointing out - this isn’t the first time they’ve done something like this. Just that trying to keep them at arm’s length while securing funding from them didn’t work either. :shrug:

I don’t need them and I don’t wanna babysit their asses. If they’re gonna buy, they’re gonna be independent in that matter. I’d rather spend my own funds.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well this thread got extra spicy while I was busy this weekend. I don't want to entirely resurrect the various points of argument, but I do want to say this, since there's been accusations:

I do not think that this thread should be unfriendly to new posters. I do think that a "tough love" hard-talk approach to disabusing people of their notions can go overboard. I think we all are aware of a strong bias in American society toward the quasi-mythical American Dream, part of which is a detached house with a white picket fence in a meticulously groomed suburb, with 2.5 kids and a golden retriever that is the pathway to the upper middle class (white) Perfect Life... and we may sometimes be over-enthusiastic about countering that narrative with buckets of ice water.

That said, I've made hundreds of posts in this thread over the years and I've tried to take a balanced approach personally toward giving people as personalized advice as I can. I must have said many many times that real estate is local: general advice in which we talk about what's happening in the whole market, or talk about how much of someone's income they "should" spend on housing, or talk about what "a good" down payment is, should always take a back seat to advice given to a specific poster tailored to their specific details. A local real estate market is often quite different from a national trendline. Individual finances often include details that matter a lot. A person's life situation and plans are of paramount importance. For example, I've beaten a drum for years about people considering carefully whether and what to buy if they're single (but might become a couple) or have no kids (but might have some). Suddenly, maybe you want more rooms than you bought, or care about school districts, or might have a spouse who needs to live closer to their job. I post about these things because I think they're sometimes overlooked, and yes, all of these examples happen to be about why a person might not want to buy after all.

But people coming into the thread already have a bias toward buying. Nobody seeks out and starts reading and posting in the house-buying thread in BFC because they're not considering buying at all, and need to be talked into it! I think that creates an inherent slant to the thread that is unavoidable. If someone is thinking about buying, they must have at least one reason in favor of buying that they're thinking of: we're less likely to need to tell them why to buy, and more likely to need to caution them on some of the reasons not to. I think that's inescapable.

Given the several posters' complaints, though, I think we should take seriously the notion that we need to take better care of new posters. There are good reasons to buy houses, at any time or now, for many people, and we shouldn't be so one-sidedly focused on cautioning folks that we come off as anti-home-buying across the board.

My parents are shopping for a house in Colorado Springs, right now. It feels like a bad time to buy, there: prices have spiked massively since 2019 (ahem). But now is the time for them to buy, for overriding personal situation details. They know what the risks are, we all acknowledge them, so they're not being blindly optimistic or leaping into a bad decision without realizing it. They're just going to have to suck it up if the market pulls back, it'll suck to think "if we'd waited a year we could have saved X amount or gotten this house for Y less!" but that's a risk they've accepted. I think if my stepdad wandered into this thread today and posted his details, reasonable posters would tell him "holy poo poo, are you sure?" and then he'd reasonably lay out why he is, and all of us - even Motronic - would be like "well OK, you can afford it for sure, you understand what's going to be needed, go for it, and if you want help evaluating listings or whatever, feel free to ask any time!"

tl;dr, I think we can do a better job of being friendly to new posters who are asking about buying a house. We can list reasons to buy along with reasons not to buy. We're usually going to be talking to someone who already has reasons to buy, though, so listing cautions and caveats is usually going to be the important part.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 13, 2022

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Mortgage News Daily has their survey rates for 30y-Fixed at 6.13% today. Up from 5.50% last week.

What the gently caress. Do they hit 8% by the end of July?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Diva Cupcake posted:

Mortgage News Daily has their survey rates for 30y-Fixed at 6.13% today. Up from 5.50% last week.

What the gently caress. Do they hit 8% by the end of July?

Maybe.

The sub 5% interest rates are not and have never been historically the norm. They're just what we're used to the last 10 years or so. I think my first mortgage was 5.5% in last 2009 on a FHA loan.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Looking forward to losing all of my equity as prices come down to meet what people can afford with the new interest rates. I bought years ago at 3.875% and bought again last year at 2.75%. Checking a mortgage calculator, there's no way I could have afforded the house that I bought, at the price I bought it at, for 6.1% interest. My budget would have been reduced by roughly 30%.

There's simply no way things can keep going this way, prices and interest rates both rising.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

QuarkJets posted:

Looking forward to losing all of my equity as prices come down to meet what people can afford with the new interest rates. I bought years ago at 3.875% and bought again last year at 2.75%. Checking a mortgage calculator, there's no way I could have afforded the house that I bought, at the price I bought it at, for 6.1% interest. My budget would have been reduced by roughly 30%.

There's simply no way things can keep going this way, prices and interest rates both rising.

far off, from somewhere deep in a godsforsaken scummy Dunkin’s cup littered alley, echoes a faint, mournful cry:

you hosed with the wrong cityyyyy

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Look there is only half as many scummy DD cups now since they stopped people getting an XL hot cup to put the L iced coffee regular they buy in so their hand doesn’t get frost bite in the middle of February.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Things have gotten stupider in the market I'm in; lotta things were doing for between list and 10% above, now it's 20% or even 25% for not exactly prime real estate. Rate locks expiring left and right I guess.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

QuarkJets posted:

Why not?

Look I've felt the same way about several things. There's no way there's a market for a 85,000 dollar F-150, or a 110,000 dollar Jeep, yet they keep selling them even with auto loan rates going up. I just got back from Disney World where costs have almost doubled in 6 years, it's still busy as ever. Houses are still selling in record time at record prices even without 2.75% financing. So yeah, things that I sit back and say "no way" to keep happening so now I'm on the other side it. Why not is the better question.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

QuarkJets posted:

From what I’ve seen in my local market at my price point is that housing inventory has markedly increased from just a few months ago but sellers are being very stubborn in listing their prices at the high water mark. Will be interesting to see who blinks first.

I opted out and signed a 2-year lease in my target neighborhood. I would have preferred to have bought for lifestyle reasons but when I ran the numbers renting was by far the superior choice even if I had purchased with 20% down payment..

Will keep saving and hopefully purchase in 1.5-2 years from now.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

skipdogg posted:

Why not?

Look I've felt the same way about several things. There's no way there's a market for a 85,000 dollar F-150, or a 110,000 dollar Jeep, yet they keep selling them even with auto loan rates going up. I just got back from Disney World where costs have almost doubled in 6 years, it's still busy as ever. Houses are still selling in record time at record prices even without 2.75% financing. So yeah, things that I sit back and say "no way" to keep happening so now I'm on the other side it. Why not is the better question.

Ford has other vehicles (including F150s) at lower prices. If Ford suddenly increased the price of all of their vehicles by 30%, can we agree that they would wind up selling fewer vehicles?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

laxbro posted:

From what I’ve seen in my local market at my price point is that housing inventory has markedly increased from just a few months ago but sellers are being very stubborn in listing their prices at the high water mark. Will be interesting to see who blinks first.

Well it won’t be me just yet. I just came back from a showing for an 850k condo being bumped down to 800k in an area that most certainly does not command that high a price, and I am not confident in a market that’s changed this much over the past 6 months (just as I started looking!). I don’t have pressure to buy, so I can play chicken a little longer - I’m calling the market’s bluff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

QuarkJets posted:

Ford has other vehicles (including F150s) at lower prices. If Ford suddenly increased the price of all of their vehicles by 30%, can we agree that they would wind up selling fewer vehicles?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a38748092/new-car-average-sale-prices-47100/

Up 20% and selling everything they can make*.

* less than they used to, but there’s some fun parallels to the housing market.

Automakers love higher margin feature rich vehicles and have cut back on incentives across the board and are going to try to preserve that as long as they can.