Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Barman said it was just like any other. First batch he said he added water because he thought there wouldn't be enough liquid, but that was a poor choice. Second batch normal recipe but with banana, worked a treat. Really tasted nice. Rum was a five rum blend they do at the bar, with a coconut water ice cube and orange peel/cherry garnish.
I can't help feeling that a banana syrup would just taste weird to me. I love bananas, but I sort of only love them as bananas, so I'm really struggling to conceptualize this taste experience.

Pander posted:

Dolin sweet vermouth? Huh I only ever use it for dry, and stick to Italian reds.
I made a Left Hand with it tonight too which was pretty good as well, though I think I prefer the sharpness of the Negroni. I think for me Sweet Vermouth and Bourbon just don't mix; I don't really care for Manhattans either, so I should have seen that coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Barman said it was just like any other. First batch he said he added water because he thought there wouldn't be enough liquid, but that was a poor choice. Second batch normal recipe but with banana, worked a treat. Really tasted nice. Rum was a five rum blend they do at the bar, with a coconut water ice cube and orange peel/cherry garnish.

...So banana peels macerated with sugar? That's loving nuts, I never would've thought of that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Strange Matter posted:

I can't help feeling that a banana syrup would just taste weird to me. I love bananas, but I sort of only love them as bananas, so I'm really struggling to conceptualize this taste experience.

Giffard banane du bresil tastes just like very ripe bananas, it's super good.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Strange Matter posted:

I made a Left Hand with it tonight too which was pretty good as well, though I think I prefer the sharpness of the Negroni. I think for me Sweet Vermouth and Bourbon just don't mix; I don't really care for Manhattans either, so I should have seen that coming.

For me, Manhattans were always middling until I stumbled upon the right vermouth, Grassoti. That vermouth is just amazing for Manhattans, just the right cherry notes I want. I couldn't get carpano antica or punt e mes or anything else to be more than meh.

Tried my first tia mia tonight. Wow that worked way better than I thought. Used Smith and cross for the rum and plume de nom for the mezcal. They balance each other so well, neither dominant flavor dominated. My wife tends to dislike funky rums AND smoky mezcal, and she liked it a lot too.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Good lord, homemade falernum is worlds better than John D Taylor. Here’s the recipe I used, which has the added benefit of being shelf stable indefinitely:

https://www.proofcocktails.nl/2017/03/09/falernum/

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
So every liquor store within an hour drive of me has been out of Giffard banana for the past six weeks, does anybody have a tried and true shelf stable recipe for this stuff in case it never comes back? Tempest Fugit isn't available in my state.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Good lord, homemade falernum is worlds better than John D Taylor. Here’s the recipe I used, which has the added benefit of being shelf stable indefinitely:

My JDT is almost empty so gonna try this.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anonymous Robot posted:

Ooh that looks good. I actually really like John D Taylor, I use it in a bunch of different cocktails where it's not always expected. Suffice it to say, that does sound amazing, I'll check it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I wonder about an oleo citrate instead of rose’s.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Chemmy posted:

I wonder about an oleo citrate instead of rose’s.
This is the lime cordial I typically use, if you have a vac sealer it can be made in under an hour. I’ve juiced the ginger and added that in once, it’s pretty good but obviously makes a very different syrup. I would make it again for specific applications like large format Dark n Stormys, but I prefer the straight lime for an everyday cordial to make gimlets or punch up margaritas. I recently made the Jeffrey Morgenthaler one thanks to this thread but haven’t had a chance to play with it yet so I can’t comment on the differences.

Toby Cecchini posted:

9 limes, room temperature, very ripe, well puffed and heavy
1-1/4 cups sugar
.5 lb fresh ginger (optional)

Wash limes in a sinkful of warm water, scrubbing with your hands or a vegetable brush, and let them dry them on a dish towel. Peel them with a vegetable peeler, removing as little of the underlying white pith as possible. To begin each, it’s helpful to cut the polar ends off, where the stem attaches and opposite.
Cut limes in half and juice them.

In a non-reactive, coverable container, add sugar to juice and stir until fully dissolved, 3 to 5 minutes. Crush peels up in handfuls to release the oils as you add them into the juice mix. Stir a bit to initiate extraction of the oils. (If you’re making a ginger version, wash the ginger, then shred it in a blender or food processor (no need to peel it), employing some of the lime juice to allow it to liquefy, and add it into the lime mixture, stirring well.) Cover and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours. When ready, strain the cordial off from the peels in a fine mesh strainer or chinoise. Funnel cordial into covered container or cappable bottle and return to refrigerator for another day, to cure, before using.
While talking about lime syrups I’ll second the homemade falernum being incredible. I never found it locally so I started making Paul Clarke’s Falernum #9 and it completely blew me away. It’s like a lime cordial that tastes like Christmas. When I finally got a chance to try JD I was shocked at how bland and disappointing it was.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Definitely going to add that Falernum recipe to my To Do list. I'm sure my wife is going look at me like I'm a maniac, but that's what she thought about my orgeat and ginger syrups and now whose the one cruising the dark and stormy seas to mai tai island??

EDIT: Speaking of Mrs. Strange Matter, she's got a real thing for flavored whiskeys, which I sort of despise. We bought some Ole Smokey peanut butter bourbon which is okay, and then this bird dog blackberry whiskey which tastes entirely like cough syrup and is completely unpalatable to everyone except her.

That being said, I did discover something pretty amazing. A mere .75oz of lemon juice thrown in with 2oz bird dog makes a spectacular little beverage. If you somehow find yourself saddled with that stuff which tastes on its own like something the drink machine from Hitchhiker's Guide would make, that little bit of sour makes all the difference in the world.

In exchange for this, someone please tell me what to do with the Fireball she was gifted. She drinks that stuff straight up, but it's orders of magnitude too sweet and honestly fake tasting for me.

Strange Matter fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 13, 2022

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I will say, I made my own orgeat using the cheaty almond milk method, and imo it does not stack up against the best storebought offerings. Not even close.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

I will say, I made my own orgeat using the cheaty almond milk method, and imo it does not stack up against the best storebought offerings. Not even close.
For a standard 1:1 I use about these ratios. I’ve never found a quality commercial one locally so I can’t compare it to those, any brands you’d suggest if I bother mail ordering?

1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
2 teaspoon Wray & nephew
1/4 teaspoon orange flower water
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
Pinch of salt

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Strange Matter posted:

In exchange for this, someone please tell me what to do with the Fireball she was gifted. She drinks that stuff straight up, but it's orders of magnitude too sweet and honestly fake tasting for me.

It's kind of palatable as a trashy shot with friends if you mix it 1:1 with Rumchata. They're both cinnamon flavored but the Rumchata goes a long way to mask the weird artificial taste of Fireball.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

If you live in PA, the Maggie's Farm velvet falernum is delicious AND can be mailed directly to your house. On my third bottle: https://maggies-farm-distillery.myshopify.com/products/maggies-farm-falernum-liqueur

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

tonedef131 posted:

For a standard 1:1 I use about these ratios. I’ve never found a quality commercial one locally so I can’t compare it to those, any brands you’d suggest if I bother mail ordering?

1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
2 teaspoon Wray & nephew
1/4 teaspoon orange flower water
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
Pinch of salt

I’ve tried several brands and like Liber & Co best. It has a creamy, marzipan-y taste that the home product doesn’t match. I was on board with the assertion that the punch of extracty flavor from the home recipe would help the orgeat hold its own against liquor, but that didn’t pan out in my experience.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Lumbermouth posted:

If you live in PA, the Maggie's Farm velvet falernum is delicious AND can be mailed directly to your house. On my third bottle: https://maggies-farm-distillery.myshopify.com/products/maggies-farm-falernum-liqueur
My company is based out of PA and the owner brought me a bottle of this last year. It’s by far the best commercial one I’ve encountered but is still a far cry from the homemade #9.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I’ve tried several brands and like Liber & Co best. It has a creamy, marzipan-y taste that the home product doesn’t match. I was on board with the assertion that the punch of extracty flavor from the home recipe would help the orgeat hold its own against liquor, but that didn’t pan out in my experience.
I’ll seek some of that out, it’s entirely possible I don’t know what I’m missing!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is the Torino orgeat okay? It's the one I use and it seems fine.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
If you like it, it's ok. Don't let other people be your tastemakers. Drink what you want!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Strange Matter posted:

If you like cider, I remember Angry Balls being pretty good -- dump a shot of Fireball in a glass of hard cider. (The name coming from when Angry Orchard was the only hard cider in town.)

Of course, the last time I tried this, I unreservedly enjoyed both Fireball and Angry Orchard, and I've kind of soured on both, so I'm not sure it holds up. But in a better cider it definitely might.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hey GWS what's a hot new bourbon to pick up?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Old Grandad 114 remains a fantastic bottle at a very reasonable price.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I was curious about the Aviation but didn't really want to buy the Creme de Violette for a single drink. So I looked to see if I could find a tiki drink that uses it and found this:

https://ohsobeautifulpaper.com/2015/07/friday-happy-hour-the-ghost-flower-tiki-cocktail-recipe/

Wow! This drink was amazing. Everyone who tasted it thought it was great. I did not expect it to be this good. But this is among my favorite drinks now.

The Ghost Flower
2 oz Silver Rum

1 oz Lime Juice

3/4 oz Pineapple Juice

1/2 oz St-Germain

1/2 oz Creme de Violette

1/2 oz Orgeat

Shake w/ ice. I open poured but the recipe says to strain in one place and strain over ice in another. I just put it in a mai tai glass and didn't use the garnish.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Kenning posted:

Old Grandad 114 remains a fantastic bottle at a very reasonable price.

Seconded.

Also, if you're feeling a bit more spendy and like cask finishes. Rabbit Hole Dareinger is a phenomenal bottle at $80 retail.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

I was curious about the Aviation but didn't really want to buy the Creme de Violette for a single drink. So I looked to see if I could find a tiki drink that uses it and found this:

https://ohsobeautifulpaper.com/2015/07/friday-happy-hour-the-ghost-flower-tiki-cocktail-recipe/

Wow! This drink was amazing. Everyone who tasted it thought it was great. I did not expect it to be this good. But this is among my favorite drinks now.

The Ghost Flower
2 oz Silver Rum

1 oz Lime Juice

3/4 oz Pineapple Juice

1/2 oz St-Germain

1/2 oz Creme de Violette

1/2 oz Orgeat

Shake w/ ice. I open poured but the recipe says to strain in one place and strain over ice in another. I just put it in a mai tai glass and didn't use the garnish.

I want to try this. What bottle of Crème de Violette should I pick up?

Giffard, Tempus Fugit or Rothmam & Winter?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I got the R&W because I really like their apricot liqueur. Also, it was available at my Total Wine.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

obi_ant posted:

I want to try this. What bottle of Crème de Violette should I pick up?

Giffard, Tempus Fugit or Rothmam & Winter?

My favorite bar before it closed had the best Aviation I've ever drank and I think they used R&W.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

The Ghost Flower
2 oz Silver Rum

1 oz Lime Juice

3/4 oz Pineapple Juice

1/2 oz St-Germain

1/2 oz Creme de Violette

1/2 oz Orgeat

Made a couple of these and preferred it with the orgeat reduced to 1/4oz. It’s obviously very floral, but if you like that this is a pretty good tropical option. The primary thing that attracted me to it was having another application for Violette instead of just collecting dust between aviations.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

chitoryu12 posted:

My favorite bar before it closed had the best Aviation I've ever drank and I think they used R&W.

R&W was the first good one I ever tried, but the Fugit is Legit as well. Haven’t had the Gifford in recent memory but all their stuff is pitch perfect.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I made it again last night but this time went 50/50 on light/dark rum. Don't do that. Stick with the light rum 100%.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Do you guys know why my rum froze? We're at an airbnb and the freezer is just a lil icebox at the top of the fridge. I have had more than half of the rum, if that makes a difference. I googled it and found a reddit thread where they speculated about humidity inside the bottle making a seed crystal that's more conducive to freezing the rum, but that felt Vonnegut enough that it seemed best to seek a second opinion.

Here is a picture of the rum in question, it's way more frozen than I have ever seen regular proof liquor be:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Stalizard posted:

Do you guys know why my rum froze? We're at an airbnb and the freezer is just a lil icebox at the top of the fridge. I have had more than half of the rum, if that makes a difference. I googled it and found a reddit thread where they speculated about humidity inside the bottle making a seed crystal that's more conducive to freezing the rum, but that felt Vonnegut enough that it seemed best to seek a second opinion.

Here is a picture of the rum in question, it's way more frozen than I have ever seen regular proof liquor be:

Maybe the freezer is extra cold? 40 proof liquor freezes at like -16F.

Has your teenager been drinking it and refilling the bottle with water? :v:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Made some banana oleo this week, and just fixed a rum old fashioned (Denizen 8 year, which has a strong banana note,) with ango bitters and banana oleo for sweetener. I chilled them with Goya coconut water ice cubes, which I think was crucial for how the melting of the sweetened ice contributed to the velvety texture of the drink. Really lovely! Garnish with some salted plantain chips clipped to the glass to really give it to the girls.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
That’s really cool. I just bought bananas today, I’ll definitely give banana oleo a try.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Nice. Bananas for everyone!

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Im using Kevin Kos’ recipes for lime, lemon and orange juices

Lime, 2/3 citric acid, 1/3 mallic acid, 16,6 water
Lemon, 1/1 citric acid, 16,6 water
Orange, 9/10 citric acid, 1/10 mallic acid, 16,6 water

All ratios are with the peel being 1.
For all 3 add the juice from the peeled fruit.

Does anyone know a similar recipe for grapefruit?
I tried the lime ratios above and it feels a bit off.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I finally made some Earl Grey infused gin and made the Earl Grey Marteani, and wow, that is a unique and wonderful drink. I'm now accepting suggestions for other things to use Earl Grey gin in. Although I've already got some ideas. (I'm betting an actual martini, but using sweet white vermouth, would hit the spot. And a French 75.)

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Sir Lemming posted:

I finally made some Earl Grey infused gin and made the Earl Grey Marteani, and wow, that is a unique and wonderful drink. I'm now accepting suggestions for other things to use Earl Grey gin in. Although I've already got some ideas. (I'm betting an actual martini, but using sweet white vermouth, would hit the spot. And a French 75.)

A collins with that would hit the spot.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Finally got around to using the malic acid I bought a while back and made some lime oleo citrate/superjuice using Kevin Kos' (which I think is Dave Arnold's) ratios/technique.

I made daiquiris with it and with fresh squeezed lime juice and A/B'ed them blind to a couple people. There wasn't a clear favorite. The consensus was that the superjuice drink was sweeter and more tart while the fresh squeezed was "lime-ier"...but that they were equally good.

If it's as shelf stable as The Educated Barfly's experiments suggest (up to a month or so), I'll definitely be keeping a bottle around for drinks where lime isn't the key component and/or when I'm out of fresh limes but I think for something like a daiquiri or margarita I'll probably stick with fresh squeezed when possible. I want to tinker with the rum and simple selections and ratios though to see if I can dial in a superjuice daiquiri that I really love.

Ineptitude posted:

Im using Kevin Kos’ recipes for lime, lemon and orange juices

Does anyone know a similar recipe for grapefruit?
I tried the lime ratios above and it feels a bit off.

He added grapefruit to his calculator and made a video for it. https://www.kevinkos.com/super-juice-calculator-1

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Nickle Morris' lime recipe is nowhere near as good as his lemon, so it's probably always going to feel a little off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014