Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

spf3million posted:

I'm thinking about giving TrainerRoad a try. What are the sessions like? Are you just staring at a power graph or is there something more to keep you engaged?

Staring at a graph. There’s sometimes text from Coach Chad but it’s pretty useless imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Thanks. I'm enjoying the engagement options on sufferfest wahoo systm. Kind of corny but they're distracting at least. I like the idea of the adaptive training on TR though.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
You can watch other stuff while doing trainerroad. I always have a movie of some sort going when I use it. But everyone gets their motivation from somewhere so if that still doesn't sound appealing to you then I'm not sure about any other solutions.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
You can turn on both zwift and TR if you’re like me and want to climbs counted :v:

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Bought my wife a Peloton back in February. And surprisingly, I've really enjoyed using it.

Just finished the second power zones program. Seeing good FTP progress.

March 8, 212w
April 7, 229w
May 26, 242w

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Looking for a recommendation for a bike to use with my wahoo kickr snap. I have been using my fuji tread 1.5 with it but I've moved that to be my main outdoor bike. Anyone have recommendations of road bikes that would be around $500 and work well with this trainer that can just leave set up all of the time?

Note that I did buy a used bike to use with this trainer but it ended up having too narrow of an axel in the rear wheel to work with the trainer so I am hoping not to get burned again.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
The rocker plate works!

Kinda went overboard on the whole thing after I stumbled across a design from this group WeRideSouth. I'll do a couple more rides and then break it back down so I can pretty it up. Needs to be routed, sanded, painted/stained, and sealed up still.

In other news, my rear end in a top hat cat already found the power cord to my trainer.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 12, 2022

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Crumps Brother posted:

The rocker plate works!

Kinda went overboard on the whole thing after I stumbled across a design from this group WeRideSouth. I'll do a couple more rides and then break it back down so I can pretty it up. Needs to be routed, sanded, painted/stained, and sealed up still.

In other news, my rear end in a top hat cat already found the power cord to my trainer.

That looks awesome, how do you like the fore/aft movement?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

spf3million posted:

That looks awesome, how do you like the fore/aft movement?
The whole thing was really weird at first, but one quickly gets used to it. The side to side movement is very noticeable. I was making a pretty conscience effort to make sure I was throwing my weight around "properly". I guess people often have a tendency to lean the bike to the right when pushing down on the right pedal and vice versa. This being opposite of what happens outside in the real world. Easy to overcome bad habits with a little bit of thought though.

The fore/aft movement was a lot more subtle. It's just a thing that happens and doesn't take much thought. I messed around a bit during my first ride and you can have fun sliding it intentionally. I have about 10-12" of total movement available and I didn't bottom out the springs even when messing around.

All that being said, I won't be able to go too crazy on it for awhile. I'm about 11 days post-surgery and certainly in no position to hit it hard with vo2 or sprint intervals.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a big guy, been cycling on a Peleton for weight loss for about 4 months. I like the idea of doing some gravel riding in the real outdoors at some point but want to be sure I'm physically able to do so first. Can someone give me sort of a frame of reference for what Peleton resistance level would correlate to various inclines for a 275lb man? Sorry if it's a stupid question but I'm looking for something along the lines of "Hey if you can do 60% resistance for 5 minutes at 70 cadence, you shouldnt have trouble out on a trail with a few moderate inclines"

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

First Time Caller posted:

I'm a big guy, been cycling on a Peleton for weight loss for about 4 months. I like the idea of doing some gravel riding in the real outdoors at some point but want to be sure I'm physically able to do so first. Can someone give me sort of a frame of reference for what Peleton resistance level would correlate to various inclines for a 275lb man? Sorry if it's a stupid question but I'm looking for something along the lines of "Hey if you can do 60% resistance for 5 minutes at 70 cadence, you shouldnt have trouble out on a trail with a few moderate inclines"

I can't exactly answer your question, but I can tell you riding on gravel is a lot different from riding on a road when it comes to difficulty (its harder). During the lockdown I switched all my riding from bike commuting to Zwift and worked my way up to riding on that for up to 2 hours at a time. When I went back to real world riding almost 2 years later I found it a lot more challenging than I remember and the hills that were steeper around where I had moved to at the time just killed me. That said, after biking on them or a little while, like just a week or two, and they were much less of a problem. This was for my new ~45 minute commute into work.

From my experience, biking on a trainer doesn't correlate 1:1 with real world biking. Also, real world biking isn't as scary as you may think it is and I would just get out there and start doing it. Your body will adjust. What you've been doing on a peleton will certainly help but I wouldn't be discouraged if you find some of the trails more difficult to begin. Just keep up with it.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Yeah, inside to outside is just plain different. When you're inside you have goals and metrics and numbers and whatnot you need to be hitting. Outside you can go as slow as you want whenever you want and it's totally cool. If there's a particular gravel hill that's daunting there's no reason why a person can't just slide in to the easiest gear and spin their way up it. If that doesn't cut it then there's always the option to hoof it. We've all been there and jumping off to walk up a hill is A-OK.

I, as a random guy on the internet and all the qualifications that gives me, would say that if you're knocking out Peloton workouts already and you have the gumption to take it on the road. Then you're ready. Get out there, have fun, and don't stress too much about expectations. But do bring any questions, comments, or concerns that you have back to the bike thread and we'll help out.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
If your trainer had a power meter this would be easier to quantify.

However, I think you are asking the wrong question. The best thing to do is to start riding outdoors and set up your bike with generous gearing. If you set up a gravel bike with a 44 or 52 rear max cassette than I am sure you can grind out most hills.

Once you have your gearing set up, it is just a matter of getting stronger. There is no shame in stopping during a long climb to get your poo poo together then continuing. Joining a cycle club is also a great idea since you can get access to local routes which will list how many feet of climbing (and grades) you can expect.

If you are near NY/NJ/CT you should come out to one of the mellower local club rides.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Don't overthink it and just ride bikes. If you let your fear of not being strong enough to ride outdoors consume you, then you'll never find out. Stick with big slicks or semi-slicks. Ride on bike paths, hardpack trails, road, etc. it's all good. You will find that riding on actual roads feels a lot different than "gravel." It's less work, more forgiving biomechanically and mentally.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 2, 2022

dema
Aug 13, 2006

+1 to don't over think this.

But, if you want to, you would need to use your power numbers. Or at least your FTP. Then there are all sorts of climb calculators that you can plug numbers into.

Haven't done an FTP test yet? Hit up the Discover Your Power Zones program. https://blog.onepeloton.com/power-zone-training/

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
What are everyone's thoughts on the new Zwift trainer? Looks like the price is right for the specs. I'm thinking about picking one up to replace our Schwinn IC9 setup which is nice but there's no power meter and it does not play well with Zwift/peleton, etc.

Now if only my wife and I had the same size cassettes.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It looks fine. You can get a Saris H3 for cheaper right now though.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

How much of a pain in the rear end are the direct drive trainers vs. the wheel on trainers? I have a small apartment and a Saris Fluid2 and it’s really easy to both stow the bike and trainer when not in use and pop it together when I want to ride. I imagine that you get a better feel from the direct drive but I can’t leave it set up, and if it’s a lot of extra hassle then I worry that I just won’t ride as often.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
They're just as easy but do probably take up slightly more space on average, even folded up.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Wheel-off trainer all the way if you have the space. They're way more accurate and consistent. If you have an oily/dirty tire or roller, you will probably tear your tire to shreds as it slips/skids on the roller. Some wheel-off trainers fold up incredibly small like the Elite Suito and now the Elite Justo.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
When I moved across the country I left my boards behind with my mother to paint. I told her I wanted some kind of sweet corn thing and gave her a mock-up of what I wanted. Since she's my mother she immediately binned the mock-up and started on her own designs. I was skeptical, but drat did they come out better than I ever expected.

I lost my hardware in the move. Which is to say I knew it was in a box, but I couldn't find which box it was for quite awhile. I stumbled across the bag inside a location I definitely wasn't expecting and was finally able to put it all together this weekend.

The fore/aft movement feels a little tougher than I remember. I'm wondering if something got sightly damaged in the move. But it all still flows nicely. All in all it was a wildly successful little whatever project with nebulous actual training benefit.

Last thing, but if anyone else is going to take up an undertaking like this hit me up and I can send you some of my extra hardware. I sprang for ultra corrosion resistant marine grade stuff cuz why not?

Right before the final coats of sealer went on.

These are the two ragbrai routes and my wife and I did that we rode the full week. 2017 and 2019.

Here's everything all put together. The H3 is straight up bolted to the top board. It's not going anywhere.

The big ear is corn is textured on a per kernel basis. Pretty impressive looking and even better in person. Thanks, mom!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Mmmm coOOOorrn.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
There's quite a few trainer sales here at the moment, would like to replace my KICKR Snap. A Saris H3 for €650 is a better deal than a KICKR Core for €700 right? Looks like it packs up a bit more neatly too

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I'm a fat dad who has been trying to find a way to do something active and not get killed on the road while my toddler sleeps at home. I dug out my old college bike, found a Cyclops trainer for $40 on FB marketplace, and bought the $30 pack of speed/cadence sensors.

I don't even know if I set the drat thing up right, but for $70 it works.
Anyways looking forward to doing minimum 15 minutes/day just to do something while I calorie count.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Audax posted:

I'm a fat dad who has been trying to find a way to do something active and not get killed on the road while my toddler sleeps at home. I dug out my old college bike, found a Cyclops trainer for $40 on FB marketplace, and bought the $30 pack of speed/cadence sensors.

I don't even know if I set the drat thing up right, but for $70 it works.
Anyways looking forward to doing minimum 15 minutes/day just to do something while I calorie count.

nice! be sure to get a powerful fan like a lasko blower. you’re gonna heat up even if you do 15 min!

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Heliosicle posted:

There's quite a few trainer sales here at the moment, would like to replace my KICKR Snap. A Saris H3 for €650 is a better deal than a KICKR Core for €700 right? Looks like it packs up a bit more neatly too

I got the Saris, very happy with it so far. ERG is really solid (the Snap would fluctuate +/- 25W about the target power constantly, now it's a few watts at most) and it packs up really neatly.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Woke up at 4a and couldn't get back to sleep, so went down to the basement and rode Zwift until my alarm went off. Only 18 minutes, but it's more than 0 so I'm happy.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Apparently I'm sweating through my sweat guard. I'll have to deal with that when I take apart the bike tomorrow. For the future, what's the proper solution here? Stitch something that's actually waterproof on the underside? Pull the guard off after each ride and include the stem/steerer in the spray and wipedown session? Another hidden third option that I haven't thought about? Maybe some combination of a few different things?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What’s your cooling situation? I’ll soak through a headband but I’m never dripping sweat on a sweatguard. I’ve got a giant metal fan, a blower, and a smaller vornado.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Three vornados. I'm just a really sweaty guy. But being in the smallish attic these days doesn't help the air temp too much either. I do have plenty of hats I could rotate through. That'd probably help the drippage now that you're mentioning it.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
After 2 years of freeriding on Zwift I've started trying some of the workouts, but I'm having real trouble holding the power inside the band on the recovery intervals. Either my cadence is too low or I'm reliably 50w over. It's an Elite Direto so a decent, if a little old, wheel off trainer. And I don't have any issues staying at 195w outside of ERG mode. Is it a gearing issue? I think I read that I should use the big ring at the front and something somewhere in the middle at the back for ERG training and not shift up or down when the power target changes? Is that still correct? It's just the lower power intervals I have trouble with, proper efforts are fine.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Yeep posted:

After 2 years of freeriding on Zwift I've started trying some of the workouts, but I'm having real trouble holding the power inside the band on the recovery intervals. Either my cadence is too low or I'm reliably 50w over. It's an Elite Direto so a decent, if a little old, wheel off trainer. And I don't have any issues staying at 195w outside of ERG mode. Is it a gearing issue? I think I read that I should use the big ring at the front and something somewhere in the middle at the back for ERG training and not shift up or down when the power target changes? Is that still correct? It's just the lower power intervals I have trouble with, proper efforts are fine.

I tend to do workouts with erg mode off. There is an option for that. I have found that all of the constant micro-adjusts that take place during erg mode just mess me up.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

Crumps Brother posted:

Three vornados. I'm just a really sweaty guy. But being in the smallish attic these days doesn't help the air temp too much either. I do have plenty of hats I could rotate through. That'd probably help the drippage now that you're mentioning it.

Upgrading to a blower fan would do you good.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I switched to 3 blower fans about a year ago and never looked back, it’s dramatically better

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah 3 vornados ain’t gonna cut it. They’re just too small to move enough air.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I must be missing something then. Vornado 378 CFM vs Lasko 340 CFM? They seem pretty directional with the air movement only being a foot wide or so a few feet away from the fan.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Numbers may be similar but in practice the Lasko is just better for the trainer.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
While I think the centrifugal blowers are markedly better, it's also true that some people just sweat a shitload and perhaps the room environment is warmer and/or more humid.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I got a thermometer and humidity thing that I have on the bench near my trainer. it's pretty impressive how much humidity will go up in a pretty big garage over the course of a hard zwift ride or race. I've started cracking the door and getting some airflow in there if it's not too cold out. And yeah ideally I've got like 3 fans blowing on me and it's only like 40f in there and i have to turn the fans off/put a thermal jersey on to coast down adz or whatever.

Setup my new H3 today. Kind of annoying. App really sucks. Can't tell what you're connected to and oh you're trying to spin down calibrate my watch for some reason? great. Then froze up trying to update software the first time, then it wouldn't do a spindown calibration even after I turned off zwift. So not sure how that's supposed to work. Was nice just being able to do it through zwift with the kickr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

jamal posted:

I got a thermometer and humidity thing that I have on the bench near my trainer. it's pretty impressive how much humidity will go up in a pretty big garage over the course of a hard zwift ride or race. I've started cracking the door and getting some airflow in there if it's not too cold out. And yeah ideally I've got like 3 fans blowing on me and it's only like 40f in there and i have to turn the fans off/put a thermal jersey on to coast down adz or whatever.

Setup my new H3 today. Kind of annoying. App really sucks. Can't tell what you're connected to and oh you're trying to spin down calibrate my watch for some reason? great. Then froze up trying to update software the first time, then it wouldn't do a spindown calibration even after I turned off zwift. So not sure how that's supposed to work. Was nice just being able to do it through zwift with the kickr.

Yeah the app definitely feels more like a development tool than something you'd release publicly.

Did you disconnect the trainer as the power source and controllable device in Zwift before you turned it off? It could've thought it was still being controlled maybe even if zwift was closed.