Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

Chubby Henparty posted:

So I dusted off my old Saitek throttle wrong (with a kids wetwipe I think) and now the surface is all hosed up - the sort of 'faux-rubbery' -feeling plastic is all fuzzy, and the back where the rear buttons sit is permanently sticky (and how, to chopper and spaceship jpegs) No amount of scrubbing is getting the gum off and I worry that rubbing alcohol or some other cleaner will make it worse. Which is the right formula to fix it?

That rubbery coating gets lovely after a few years no matter what and the wetwipe probably just made the stickiness more apparent. I don't know if there is a good cleaner to use, since I just wiped the throttle down with dry paper towels until the sticky feeling was gone. It was probably just covered up by paper towel lint, but I used the throttle and joystick for another couple years without them getting gross again.

I'm so glad the Gladiator NXT grip is just hard plastic (the fact that it's a step-up from the Saitek as a controller is also nice).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Once that stuff goes sticky there's no getting it back, best bet is to just remove it with alcohol then if the hard plastic surface bugs you put some cloth grip tape on it. I had to do this with my x52 a couple years back.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I carved lines on the rotary thumb knob on my X52 with a hobby knife to get a better grip.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Thanks, that's reassuring. Its mainly going to serve as an extra button box so I won't have to grip the actual throttle much, but still eww gross

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Chubby Henparty posted:

Thanks, that's reassuring. Its mainly going to serve as an extra button box so I won't have to grip the actual throttle much, but still eww gross

You could dust your hand with talcum powder and then rub the sticky bits of the rubber. That should take care of it for a little while at least.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

big nipples big life posted:

Once that stuff goes sticky there's no getting it back, best bet is to just remove it with alcohol then if the hard plastic surface bugs you put some cloth grip tape on it. I had to do this with my x52 a couple years back.

Same. After I pulled the X52 throttle out of my closet for MSFS 2020, the rubber coating was sticky and gross. I ended up having to scrub the coating off with rubbing alcohol.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Anybody own the turtle beach velocity one yoke/throttle thing? Thinking about getting one because it works on both pc and xbox and I play FS on both.

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

big nipples big life posted:

Anybody own the turtle beach velocity one yoke/throttle thing? Thinking about getting one because it works on both pc and xbox and I play FS on both.

I got one mainly because I like having a nice trimming wheel, it works pretty well if you don't mind it being on a pricey side.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The Darkstar mission in the Top Gun promotion is so cool. Took me a few tries to get the speed profile right but once I got it crossing the US in a half hour was awesome.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Anybody have opinions on the Hotas One? I'm just getting back into MSFS and I'm not 100% sold on spending real money on fake plane parts, so it's either this (or something around the same price) or the gamepad. A lot of Amazon reviews mention poor build quality. Anybody have hands on experience?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Xbox Showcase is playing right now and a free update dropped today for MSFS2020, you can pilot a Pelican from Halo.

They also showed off Helicopters, The Spirit of St. Louis and the Wright Flyer.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Helicopters and gliders are coming for the 40th anniversary update this november.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

sigher posted:

The Xbox Showcase is playing right now and a free update dropped today for MSFS2020, you can pilot a Pelican from Halo.

They also showed off Helicopters, The Spirit of St. Louis and the Wright Flyer.

The official forums are very mad about the Halo thing, it's very odd. Also they apparently announced the Inibuilds A310 is coming, and will be free. Which is cool!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Lester Shy posted:

Anybody have opinions on the Hotas One? I'm just getting back into MSFS and I'm not 100% sold on spending real money on fake plane parts, so it's either this (or something around the same price) or the gamepad. A lot of Amazon reviews mention poor build quality. Anybody have hands on experience?
The lifetime of the twist and throttle make joycon sticks look reliable long term. This can be partly mitigated with using them in an exceedingly clean environment or warranty breaking poking and prodding but like most cheap sensor set ups it eventually eats itself in a way you aren't getting to work again.

You're getting what you pay for in this segment, not that I'm sure there's any other options for <$100 at this point.

If you don't mind dealing with warranty replacements you can probably get a good 18+ months out of it on a one year warranty, and if you're in a eurozone with the 2 year warranty you can probably make out pretty good knowing you're going to be taking some 6 week breaks for warranty replacements.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_F20n8BwME

edit: and the blog post https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/06/12/microsoft-flight-simulator-celebrates-franchises-40th-anniversary/

new a/c:

quote:

Historical Aircraft:

Wright Flyer
Ryan NYP (“Spirit of St. Louis”)
Douglas DC-3
De Havilland Canada DHC-2-Beaver

Helicopters:

Bell-407
Guimbal Cabri G2

Gliders:

DG Flugzeugbau LG8-18
DG Flugzeugbau DG1001E neo

True-to-Life Airliner:

Airbus A310

hannibal fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 12, 2022

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Steadiman posted:

The official forums are very mad about the Halo thing, it's very odd. Also they apparently announced the Inibuilds A310 is coming, and will be free. Which is cool!
Probably the standard "how dare you spend all your dev time making X as opposed to fixing Y" type crap from people that have no idea how software development actually works. Hell for all I know, the Pelican is being built and modeled by a team that is not in Asobo at all, Microsoft is a huge goddamn company.

tl;dr: nerds are the worst.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
How dare you put in a fun free thing that lots of people will like! Instead they need to spend more time on a real time baggage handling algorithm.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The helicopter reveal for flight sim was awesome. I am so excited for that update.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

soggybagel posted:

How dare you put in a fun free thing that lots of people will like! Instead they need to spend more time on a real time baggage handling algorithm.

You jest, but I GUARANTEE that is someone, somewheres overriding concern.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

soggybagel posted:

Or, like, anything besides Another Tubeliner. Don't get me wrong, high fidelity airliner systems modeling is neat but if you want diverse people coming to this game (and spending money on it!) you need weird/different/interesting stuff. They are making some progress though: the Wright Flyer and high def modeling of the Wright Brothers memorial (was that there before?), helicopters, gliders, old interesting planes like DC-3s are all great. I wish they'd double down on stuff like bush trips, people need stuff to do in the game. Buy NeoFly and integrate that, whatever.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Okay this looks pretty loving sweet. I'm looking forward to the space ship holding over JFK

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I landed the pelican after this guy flew it around a bit at the xbox showcase I went to this morning.

Xbox controls though so I didn't know the button mapping too well. Looked pretty drat good on the series S console they had for demos, not even the more powerful series X.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Oh you were there? is it fun? can it do cool stuff?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

hannibal posted:

Or, like, anything besides Another Tubeliner. Don't get me wrong, high fidelity airliner systems modeling is neat but if you want diverse people coming to this game (and spending money on it!) you need weird/different/interesting stuff. They are making some progress though: the Wright Flyer and high def modeling of the Wright Brothers memorial (was that there before?), helicopters, gliders, old interesting planes like DC-3s are all great. I wish they'd double down on stuff like bush trips, people need stuff to do in the game. Buy NeoFly and integrate that, whatever.

*Papery voice echoes hauntingly from the premier lounge* bizjetssssss...

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
The Halo Pelican is like having two aircraft in one with the two flight modes. It's like an arcade V-22 that can break the sound barrier and go up to FL800.

And I'm definitely a tubeliner enthusiast guy. The A310 looks great!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

hannibal posted:

I’m the definition of a new guy to flight sim. Got super enthusiastic when it came out. Got sidetracked for a while due to real life but am coming back again and goofing around. The top gun stuff and a stupid/fun halo ship is exactly what’s going to keep me around.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Steadiman posted:

Making MSFS loving rad is how the franchise gets money, more players, and eases in outsiders who might become eventual rivet counters.

It’s classic grog bullshit to whine about actual fun and cool things, but they can smdftb because the Pelican is rad as helll and hope we get more stuff like that. The Top Gun dlc already got a huge amount of people in.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I just bought MSFS a few days back and did my first real flight in real time. It's pretty loving rad in VR to descend into Long Island during sunset.

Bonus was watching a ton of people in the distance going suborbital in Pelicans.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

hannibal posted:

I think there’s a pretty good balance honestly, there’s lots of fun planes coming out at a steady pace. From the serious 737/A320 stuff all the way down to that Mach 10 Top Gun plane or the Halo thing, and everything in between. If anything I’d like to see some newer tube liners instead of the constant recycling of 737/747/777 assets and such. I don’t think we really need three A320s either. I wish there was some more variety there.

A good A380 or A220, or something that hasn’t already been done to death anyway on every platform. I know atleast FBW are doing the A380 but who knows when that’s coming out. Or maybe a proper old analog 747, I dunno. Just something more interesting than what’s already out there on every flight simulator.

Definitely agree on having something like Neofly built in though, some kind of campaign or mission structure would be wonderful, especially if it’s nicely integrated.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I'd love to see the Beechcraft Starship and the split-tail Bonanza 35 added to the game. More unusual aircraft.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Lord Stimperor posted:

Oh you were there? is it fun? can it do cool stuff?

As mentioned, it can go into hover mode with a flick of a switch on the centre console.

It has terrible view from the cockpit with no side windows.

It can go pretty fast and very high.

Looking forward to the expansion in November and new free content, getting a bit spoiled with the maverick update recently.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

drunkill posted:

It can go pretty fast and very high.

That's a remarkably detailed cockpit, especially considering the Darkstar, which is fictional but slightly more plausible than a Pelican, has a cockpit that looks like a Fisher-Price Busy Box.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm guessing whoever made Halo Infinite already had a pretty detailed model for it (or maybe they got it from the show) so it was a matter of having the screens work and the buttons and whatnot. I haven't seen the new Top Gun movie, do they show the actual cockpit of the darkstar?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Bentai posted:

I'd love to see the Beechcraft Starship and the split-tail Bonanza 35 added to the game. More unusual aircraft.

I think there's already a V-tail Bonanza out from a 3rd party developer, but it's pretty unlikely we'd ever get an "official" Starship, since Raytheon (who owned Beech at the time) ordered the the 48 company-owned airplanes completely destroyed because the company didn't want the liability of supporting them any more, so there's only something like 5 left (plus a few in museums), and I'd doubt Textron has any interest in bringing up what was a pretty spectacular (albeit very good looking) failure from a sales and business perspective.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 13, 2022

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
While I think it is neat they add some fun fictional craft to fly. I wonder if I can disable them if I decide to try and set up a more true to life environment. Would be a bit immersion breaking seeing a pelican from halo on the runway as I'm taxing in a Cessna Caravan. In fact, I really hope you can do that if they intend to keep adding sponsored stuff since eventually the game will turn into a mess otherwise.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I'm guessing whoever made Halo Infinite already had a pretty detailed model for it (or maybe they got it from the show) so it was a matter of having the screens work and the buttons and whatnot. I haven't seen the new Top Gun movie, do they show the actual cockpit of the darkstar?
343's licensing crew are apparently pretty big on providing actual game assets for promo/crossover stuff.

Boar It posted:

While I think it is neat they add some fun fictional craft to fly. I wonder if I can disable them if I decide to try and set up a more true to life environment. Would be a bit immersion breaking seeing a pelican from halo on the runway as I'm taxing in a Cessna Caravan. In fact, I really hope you can do that if they intend to keep adding sponsored stuff since eventually the game will turn into a mess otherwise.
Isn't all the sponsored/fictional stuff implemented as marketplace DLC? You could probably just uninstall/not install anything implausible.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

The Kins posted:

Isn't all the sponsored/fictional stuff implemented as marketplace DLC? You could probably just uninstall/not install anything implausible.

You're probably right. If it is that easy then people have no reason to be this upset over some fictional planes being added.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Boar It posted:

I would, however, love to see the Wright Brothers plane taxiing in front of me at an airport and see it take off and not even fly the whole length of the runway and taxi back to parking.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

hannibal posted:

Yeah, this is the stuff I love in the game. Give me more weird planes that you'd never be able to actually get to fly in real life. Give me more Seaplanes so I can land in all sorts of weird places like the Bush Planes. Give me the fun stuff like Top Gun challenges and the Pelican. Heck, even in the tubeliner stuff can be cool, give me an a380, give me an An-225, give me a DH.106. The 747 in the game is basically the only liner I've put any significant time into because it's iconic (I also like Steadiman's analog 747 idea). I think they've actually been doing a good job releasing stuff that's interesting and gets folks like me to pick the game back up every couple of months, I'm definitely going to try out the Spirit of St. Louis and the Wright flyer.

Obviously it's a hard balance to both attract more a more casual audience and make the core flight-sim folks happy since that community consists largely of the tube-liner guys, and I don't want to say that the stuff they enjoy isn't important, it's just not for me and I think the third-party devs do a good job of getting that stuff built.

Also, definitely agree that the game should incorporate something like Neofly into the game. That hugely extended the interest for me and got me flying a number of planes I probably wouldn't have otherwise. The Caravan turned out to be a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Scruff McGruff posted:

Yeah, this is the stuff I love in the game. Give me more weird planes that you'd never be able to actually get to fly in real life. Give me more Seaplanes so I can land in all sorts of weird places like the Bush Planes. Give me the fun stuff like Top Gun challenges and the Pelican. Heck, even in the tubeliner stuff can be cool, give me an a380, give me an An-225, give me a DH.106. The 747 in the game is basically the only liner I've put any significant time into because it's iconic (I also like Steadiman's analog 747 idea). I think they've actually been doing a good job releasing stuff that's interesting and gets folks like me to pick the game back up every couple of months, I'm definitely going to try out the Spirit of St. Louis and the Wright flyer.

Obviously it's a hard balance to both attract more a more casual audience and make the core flight-sim folks happy since that community consists largely of the tube-liner guys, and I don't want to say that the stuff they enjoy isn't important, it's just not for me and I think the third-party devs do a good job of getting that stuff built.

Also, definitely agree that the game should incorporate something like Neofly into the game. That hugely extended the interest for me and got me flying a number of planes I probably wouldn't have otherwise. The Caravan turned out to be a lot of fun.

This was actually the theoretical selling point in X-Plane ages ago that it modeled physics based on the 3D model so you could make fantasy planes. In reality it's rarely done because the 60yo+ average flight simmer has no interest in fun, so it's very nice to see MS doing some less serious things.