Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

waffle enthusiast posted:

Got my Platypus gravityworks filter back from Cascade Designs support. The tech notes say “backflush more often.” They gave me a coupon for 30% off.

Friend, I’ve probably only put 30 liters through the thing and back flushed it every time. I sent it in because I literally couldn’t get water to flow at more than a trickle through it, either direction. Your filters have a locking up problem.

Anyway, no idea if it was that specific filter or what, but I really don’t like that there’s no way to force a flush on it like there is on the Sawyers. I’ve already been stuck on the backcountry once with no flow. I’m skeptical of the gravityworks long-term reliability and will probably opt for Sawyer from here on out.

Weird. I've never had an issue in the years I've owned mine, not sure if anything has changed in the design of their system. All of my friends have also switched to platypus from Sawyer or msr and same with them.

When you back flow, you ensure the black stopper clip is wide open, even on the open most notch, it still pinches the hose. Also ensure that you're lifting the bag you want to empty up higher than the bag you want it to empty into. You could also squeeze on the top bag to add a little pressure to the system and force it through. I've blown through mine before and it seemed to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
If the filter is dry it takes a few slower runs before it gets going again. I always make sure to prime my filter before a trip. This process gets way more important as the filter ages in my experience.

Mine is 3 years old and I've filtered basically exclusively tea stained water. I've backflushed less than I should have under those circumstances and while it's slowed down enough that I've bought a replacement filter, I still intend to use the slow one for trips with more downtime where I can afford 1hr for 4L.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yes. I’ve filtered exclusively clear lake water. I’ve back-flushed it. I let the filter air dry for a week before putting it in off-season storage. When I prepared for a couple of trips last season I tested the filter and, if it was slow, soaked it for several days (per recommendation from CD support several years ago) to clear out any air locks in the filter itself. I’ve left the dirty water bag hang and drain tap water into the clean bag on the floor for 24 hours, then tried to back flush the couple of cups of water that made it through using the inverse process. I’ve tried to directly backflush into the dirty reservoir with tap water from the clean. I’ve tried squeezing the bags. I’ve tried sacrificing a moose. I’ve sent the filter a sternly worded tweet.

I would have been fine if Cascade Designs had actually said why the filter wasn’t working but that it was outside of warranty and to buy a new one. But the filter is absolutely faulty. “Backflush more” is bullshit.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 12, 2022

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
After:

a) shaving my head to get rid of my long COVID hair,
2) having been to at least one graduation where I'm stuck sitting outside in the blazing sun already with more in the future, and
iii) a doctor's diagnosis that I might be at elevated risk for squamous cell carcinoma

I'm getting a sun hat and wearing that poo poo religiously. Suggestions? I like the Tilley All-Weather/Paddler's*, and they're on clearance at REI, can't beat clearance.

*They seem to have renamed the Paddler's into the All-Weather, waiting on confirmation from them.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

SwissArmyDruid posted:

After:

2) having been to at least one graduation where I'm stuck sitting outside in the blazing sun already with more in the future, and
iii) a doctor's diagnosis that I might be at elevated risk for squamous cell carcinoma

I'm getting a sun hat and wearing that poo poo religiously. Suggestions? I like the Tilley All-Weather/Paddler's*, and they're on clearance at REI, can't beat clearance.

*They seem to have renamed the Paddler's into the All-Weather, waiting on confirmation from them.

I'm on my second Outdoor Research Sombriolet. They are light and wide brimmed, spf 50 and well ventilated. They also put up with a fair bit of abuse, I wear it if I'm outside and the sun is up and tend to stuff it into backpack if I'm not wearing it. It's a good hat.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Glamping equipment reviews:

REI Kingdom tent: very nice that we can stand in it.
Double height queen air mattress: nice upgrade over the single height one.
Single butane burner for cooking: not sure why I like this so much better than a propane Coleman stove, I think it just feels classier.
Coleman propane coffee pot: this is kind of poo poo and takes forever and the igniter broke but it’s useful for a big group.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Sombriolet if you are just looking for the best technical sunhat (that I've used). Super lightweight with a massive brim, vents well, can stuff in a bag or toss in the wash if you stink it up, does okay in moderate rain, floats if you're on the water.

It looks pretty goofy though. A Tilly hat is much more stylish.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How does the brim on the sombriolet survive repeated bag stuffings? The columbia one I've been using gets creased over time and it gets impossible to keep it from flopping into my eyes.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I set up the new Megamat 10. It is indeed very nice. I think I will be fine with this vs. the 15 but I can see where if you were a very big person you might prefer the 15.

They were not kidding when they said to let it inflate for an hour, then close the valve and let it sit for 24 hours. After an hour the foot end was definitely not fully inflated and I was a bit worried. After 24 it is properly squared off despite the valve being closed, which I assume is the foam expanding fully. No idea why they said to store it with both valves open, but that's what I'm doing. I definitely needed to pump some more air into it to top it off, but the pump is a thousand times better than that stupid pump sack.

I have my sleeping pads on their sides against the wall in the bedroom, but with a Mondoking and a Megamat, it's, um, getting a bit tight on that side of the bed. I used to store my old Thermarests in a shed with no climate control. Can I store these in the attic, or will the heat damage them? It can get very hot up there in the summer.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I lose hats often. Big head I guess.

this hat

I picked up the second year in a row. Costco this morning was <$15. Can't remember exactly.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Wife wants to try to convince her mom to come camping this weekend. She's a pretty tough and active lady so I think most of the situation will be fine with her, it's just the sleeping part we're worried about.

We need a sleeping pad that will be thick and comfy for a not usual camper. It needs to fit in our older 2p backpacking tent, so, not just an air mattress... but otherwise bulk and weight are no problem. Something cheap since it will only see rare use. Any suggestions?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

After:

Others mentioned the sombriolet, and if you wanted to give it a try, I have one around the house that I didn't love but is past the return policy. I'd send it to you for the cost of shipping.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

alnilam posted:

Wife wants to try to convince her mom to come camping this weekend. She's a pretty tough and active lady so I think most of the situation will be fine with her, it's just the sleeping part we're worried about.

We need a sleeping pad that will be thick and comfy for a not usual camper. It needs to fit in our older 2p backpacking tent, so, not just an air mattress... but otherwise bulk and weight are no problem. Something cheap since it will only see rare use. Any suggestions?

If you have the time to let it ship and a double mat will fit. This is a megamat duo competitor for much less. You guys would probably like using it afterwards.

https://www.steepandcheap.com/stoic...zxoC7L8QAvD_BwE

If you need it shipped faster then this appears to be basically the same thing but sold on amazon, has a pump sack included and ships in 2 days with prime.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09M2YRLRH?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

alnilam posted:

How big is the floor of your 2p tent?
I wouldn't be looking to spend a bunch on a mattress you might only use this one time. Unless you want to upgrade your car camping kit.

I would either be looking for a cheap twin air mattress. They're usually smaller than the floor of a 2p backpacking tent but it might be tight.

SAYGOGO Camping Air Mattress Travel Bed Sleeping Pad - Leak Proof Inflatable Mattress with Thickened Surface Built-in Pillow Air Bed for Home Camping SUV Truck RV Tent(Updated) https://a.co/d/0vH27Qx

The self inflating foam air mattresses with 3-4" of padding will run you at least $100 but probably closer to 200.

The other cheap option, go to a local crafts/fabric/upholstery store and buy a 4-6" thick rectangle of foam and cut it to whatever size you need. It will be cheap, comfortable, warm, and won't leak air. Might cost $50 depending on the thickness.
GoTo Foam 5" Height x 24" Width x 72" Length 36ILD (Semi-Firm) Upholstery Cushion https://a.co/d/0vqkuSx

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Hat chat as a balding guy that spends a lot of time outdoors.

For hot weather my Stetson Grand Canyon is my favorite. Nice and airy and does a good job blocking the sun.

For warmer weather I use a Filson waxed canvas hat or a Stetson Open Road. Note I am a middle aged, married father, who doesn’t have to impress anyone so these aren’t the most fashionable of choices.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

xzzy posted:

How does the brim on the sombriolet survive repeated bag stuffings? The columbia one I've been using gets creased over time and it gets impossible to keep it from flopping into my eyes.

I actually don't fully stuff mine. I clip it under the brain on my pack where the brim is more curving over the sides than properly folding. Always springs right back up from that but can't speak to more abusive methods.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have a 100% cotton mil-tec boonie hat. It's maybe 15 years old and works and looks like new. Price paid was 10€. The brim is narrow, but the hat seems to work.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

xzzy posted:

Mine both held up well to repeated stuffing, sleeping on, soaking with rain, salt water and sweat, washing in a washing machine and sink and doubtless other abuses that I can't remember now.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
My ULA Catalyst arrived last weekend and I was able to put in a good test hike. 7.5 mile with a full 3l bladder and a 15 pound weighted blanket.

So far so good. The fit was very customizable, there was no bounce or sway, and the weight was all transferred to the hips nicely. I barely felt the shoulder straps. All they did was keep the pack from falling backwards off my back, no weight bearing, just the way I like it. The pack was very comfortable. The only possible drawback, and I knew this going in, is that I was used to the suspended mesh back of my Osprey 35l daypack. I do like the air gap cooling effect of the Osprey.

Build quality looks good, seams are clean and straight, pack is symetric. This is sometimes a problem in small batch, hand made equipment. I bought a few extras (hydration sleeve, external bottom straps) All told, it was just a bit over $300 and arrived 5 days after ordering.

I am going to boost the weight up to around 30 pounds this weekend. We have a 3 day, 2 night hike into the Cleveland National Forest lined up for the end of the month, looking forward to it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this kinda question but :shrug:

I have a really old (6-8 years?) waterproof outer shell that I absolutely love... But lately every time I put it on, I get absolutely COVERED in little white specks. It looks like I have ludicrous amounts of dandruff. It still keeps me dry in the rain, but is that part of the waterproofing just wearing off? Is there a way to "repair" it, such as those spray-on hydrophobic coatings?

Alternatively, any suggestions for a lightweight rain coat? This was perfect for warm wet days where you don't really need a "jacket", just want to stay dry.

Haven't really been able to find anything quite like it, if I have seen something like it you can't actually tell from the photos online. For example: https://www.moosejaw.com/product/eddie-bauer-men-s-cloud-cap-rain-jacket_10551832
They do list the weight, but can't see how thick it is because it's zipped up in all the photos lol. I guess I should just go ball up my current one and see what it weighs for comparison...

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Waterproofing can definitely wear off. There are sprays that purport to re-waterproof but I don't have any experience with them.

I have a Marmot rain jacket/pants that I really like. Doesn't have any kind of insulation, it's just a waterproof shell.

edit: I think it is this, which is discontinued but presumably replaced with a newer model.

withak fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 20, 2022

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Marmot precip is a great rainjacket, but imo make sure whatever model you buy has armpit zips for airing out quickly (not all models do)

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Most 2.5 layer rain jackets will be about the same weight (pretty light).

If your jacket is flaking off the internal membrane, it's toast and there's no fixing it. Time for a new one. If it's just wetting through you can wash it with nikwax and refurbish the DWR coating. Given you said you are wearing white flakes after wearing it, my guess is the membrane itself is failing.

A good light cheap rain jacket is the marmot precip. It's generally very well regarded. It's usually less than $100 and people really like it's performance to value ratio.

Every manufacturer is going to have different waterproofing technologies. Some use goretex, others use e-vent, and there are more to list. Some brands, like Eddie Bauer, have their own. Then there's 2.5 layer, 3 layer etc. 3 layer is usually very thick, heavier, less packable etc but usually more durable.

The DWR is just a water resistant coating applied to the outside of the fabric. The factory coating is almost always the best your jacket will ever be. Nikwax products do a good job but it wears out quicker than the factory coating. I usually rewaterproof my jackets every year depending on use. It's easy to do. The other thing is, most jackets work better when they're clean vs dirty.

It's handy to keep some nikwax tech wash (or the orange sport wash you can buy on Amazon) on hand as well as a big bottle of nikwax waterproofing. I find the dryer really enhances the repellency but be careful but to overdo the heat or time.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah I've been using a Columbia rain jacket for 8 years now and I just keep it clean and re-spray it with the coating and do the dryer treatment once a year. Works great

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I really want to camp more but I am stuck living in Dallas and the weather in the region sucks most of the year. I’m trying to decide whether I should just try to accept it and camp anyway, using mindfulness to try to just be OK with the weather, or invest a bunch of money in cooling myself. I can afford it, but don’t want to waste my money. Thoughts? I want to do more than just car camping, so I’d need to be able to haul stuff. I don’t mind packing heavy

After all people lived in hot humid weather for most of human history just fine. They didn’t love it but they were used to it… right?

blue squares fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 20, 2022

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

blue squares posted:

I really want to camp more but I am stuck living in Dallas and the weather in the region sucks most of the year. I’m trying to decide whether I should just try to accept it and camp anyway, using mindfulness to try to just be OK with the weather, or invest a bunch of money in cooling myself. I can afford it, but don’t want to waste my money. Thoughts? I want to do more than just car camping, so I’d need to be able to haul stuff. I don’t mind packing heavy

After all people lived in hot humid weather for most of human history just fine. They didn’t love it but they were used to it… right?

My advice growing up and living a good part of my adult life in Texas - don't camp there June through August if you run hot. BUT come September through November you can have your pick of camp sites and the weather is very tolerable. Go to Oklahoma to Mount Scott to escape a little bit of the heat now then in the fall that's when you can hit up Palo Duro Canyon, Marfa, Enchanted Rock or Big Bend National Park.

Or do what all the other Texans do - go to south western Colorado during the summer

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Is the Kelty CD 20 the go to sleeping bag rec for around or below $200? Headed to camp out at the start of a 14er trail this weekend and my wife needs a warmer bag than she has. Just not looking to break the bank.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
If CD = cosmic down then yes. It's a difficult value to beat.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It's a good bag but I want to replace mine because I can't stand mummy bags, what's good but not constricting

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

PokeJoe posted:

It's a good bag but I want to replace mine because I can't stand mummy bags, what's good but not constricting

I also wish I bought a quilt :(

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
How far does a cosmic down unzip? My REI down bag unzips all the way down to the foot box. I then use the bag as a quilt with a foot box when it's warm enough out or if I just want more wiggle room. I only use it fully zipped up around 30°.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

Nemo Disco or one of the other spoon shaped bags. I had the same issue because I’m a side sleeper.

Or a quilt I guess

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I have a post that I hope will be handy for when people need it. Here and there I've seen this thread get questions about checking a hiking bag on a plane, and how everybody has a horror story about some motorized sorting mechanism pulling off a clip on the pack. There's an easy solution!

I've just done three weeks in Italy and this is my pack. it's a regular ol' 65 liter backpack, much too big to carry on but just exactly the right size for this technique.

I know they make duffel bags that fit these bags and I know those duffel bags cost a million dollars each at REI if you don't have a spare firstborn to give them. Instead of this, the thinking person spends $5 at IKEA.

This lil guy weighs nothing, takes up no space and perfectly fits a 65 liter bag. I do frequently get questions from suspicious gate agents, but when I show them the backpack inside they've always been cool with it.

Anyway I hope this helps somebody as much as it has helped me.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Did you modify that or does Ikea sell zippered ones now? I have a giant tote-bag-style one that I use for laundry.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
They sell the zippered ones in addition to the regular ones, there are also many resellers on Amazon and eBay who ask only a modest premium if you don't live near a big box outlet

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Stalizard posted:

I have a post that I hope will be handy for when people need it. Here and there I've seen this thread get questions about checking a hiking bag on a plane, and how everybody has a horror story about some motorized sorting mechanism pulling off a clip on the pack. There's an easy solution!

I've just done three weeks in Italy and this is my pack. it's a regular ol' 65 liter backpack, much too big to carry on but just exactly the right size for this technique.

I know they make duffel bags that fit these bags and I know those duffel bags cost a million dollars each at REI if you don't have a spare firstborn to give them. Instead of this, the thinking person spends $5 at IKEA.

This lil guy weighs nothing, takes up no space and perfectly fits a 65 liter bag. I do frequently get questions from suspicious gate agents, but when I show them the backpack inside they've always been cool with it.

Anyway I hope this helps somebody as much as it has helped me.

drat that's a good fit. Thanks for the tip

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cheap hockey bags work too. They won't be as cheap or as light as an ikea bag but if you need a step up or a different size for whatever reason, it's worth considering.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Military duffle bags from an army surplus store also. Bonus points they usually have backpack straps on them and the canvas is indestructable.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Came up on a brand new in the packaging Osprey 50-60L pack cover at Goodwill a couple of months ago for $5. So getting lucky at a thrift spot is also an option (but I'd go w/ that Ikea bag if I was paying retail).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

blue squares posted:

Ive been doing some summer hiking and hunting in this very area, and while I havent had much luck hunting Ive gotten pretty ok and not dying in the heat. If you are just bumming around camp shorts, a tank top and a big brimmed hat will be fine. If you plan to be actually moving around in the sun, especially with a pack though you really need to cover up. I used to wear a wide brimmed hat and a Underarmor style compression shirt/heat gear thing and that worked ok, but last year I discovered sun hoodies and boy howdy did that change my life. Those things are awesome. Some lightweight pants that breathe, lightweight gloves, a sun hoodie and a ball cap are a surprisingly comfortable combination in 100 degree heat. You still need to take plenty of breaks in the shade and make sure you are constantly drinking water but Ive spent full days out in the heat carrying a light pack and had a pretty ok time of it. Little tricks like getting down in creek beds to cool off during the hottest parts of the day also really help. As an added bonus if you are on public land you will practically have the place to yourself since people rarely stray far from camp sites along lakes and other relatively large bodies of water.

With that said dont forget that the summer heat here can be potentially lethal. Heat exhaustion/stroke is no joke so be familiar with their symptoms and know what to do if you start to exhibit them.