Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

GoodApollo posted:

Looking for podcast app recommendations!
... I would gladly buy a decent app, but I am not looking to add another subscription to my life. Any recommendations?

I use pocket casts and you only need to pay a subscription if you want to use a windows app, and I’ve never felt like there was a feature I want that was locked behind pay. It does a decent job syncing progress between devices which I didn’t know I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

I like Pocket Casts. It does have a subscription option, but for how I use it I have never once wanted the "premium" features for watch playback and cloud storage. No real core features are paywalled out IIRC.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Love overcast to death, but I paid for it forever ago and got grandfathered into their new payment system. Iirc they have a free tier so it’s worth trying out.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Overcast is free with ads, $10/yr to hide them.

I'm OK paying $10/yr for an app that I use ~750 hours per year.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I am also happy with Overcast.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

doingitwrong posted:

I am also happy with Overcast.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I used to be a diehard Overcast user, but the way Pocket Casts handles queueing is way better and now I can't go back.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

PocketCasts also has a nice feature where if you have car remote controls you can skip chapters with those. I've been trying to get Marco to add this to Overcast but he's very clearly ignoring me :colbert:

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Well, I tried both and didn’t like the Overcast UI. Pocket Casts looks great so far though, I was worried about ads but haven’t seen any so far.

Downcast looks interesting as well but I’ll probably just stick with Pocket Casts since it’s free. Thanks for the input!

Violator
May 15, 2003

PocketCasts is awesome and my daily player. It fits my usage perfectly and is attractive. I use Downcast as my sleep player at night because it has the most options for repeating, sleep, etc. it also lets you lower the output volume lower than any other app I’ve seen.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I've used Overcast for years but might have to switch back to Pocket Casts, the UI tweaks Marco's been making have been kinda eh to me lately. Hopefully I'm guessing other apps have the whole shorten silences and smart speed ups etc?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Disappointing Pie posted:

I've used Overcast for years but might have to switch back to Pocket Casts, the UI tweaks Marco's been making have been kinda eh to me lately. Hopefully I'm guessing other apps have the whole shorten silences and smart speed ups etc?

Yep. Not got close to my old Overcast number yet though

Edit: Just want to point out the podcasts in the background of that image are static to that page and not what I listen to if there's anything weird in there

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I’m looking for a weird queuing feature and I’m curious if Pocket Casts can do this. As far as I can tell Overcast doesn’t.

I have a smart playlist where I’m working through the backlog of an old podcast but also listening to daily news podcasts and newer stuff. I want my newly released episodes to appear at the top while the old podcast is in the queue in release order (older episodes first). Overcast handles this fine. This older podcast still releases new episodes, though. I also want those at the top of the queue, so I can listen to a new episode and then jump back into the backlog. Can Pocket Cast handle queuing like this?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

cryptoclastic posted:

I’m looking for a weird queuing feature and I’m curious if Pocket Casts can do this. As far as I can tell Overcast doesn’t.

I have a smart playlist where I’m working through the backlog of an old podcast but also listening to daily news podcasts and newer stuff. I want my newly released episodes to appear at the top while the old podcast is in the queue in release order (older episodes first). Overcast handles this fine. This older podcast still releases new episodes, though. I also want those at the top of the queue, so I can listen to a new episode and then jump back into the backlog. Can Pocket Cast handle queuing like this?

When you swipe on an episode there is a queue next and a queue last feature so you'd be able to add all the backlog to your queue and then just add the news stuff and new episodes to the top of your queue.

There's also an auto-queue feature but I don't use it so I can't speak to if it puts stuff at the top or the bottom of the queue.

cool biRd pics
Aug 28, 2009

you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds
you get to choose whether its added next up to the bottom of the queue!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

PirateDentist posted:

I like Pocket Casts. It does have a subscription option, but for how I use it I have never once wanted the "premium" features for watch playback and cloud storage. No real core features are paywalled out IIRC.

And honestly, if you delete the Pocket Casts watch app, it will let you use the default music controls to skip forward and skip ads.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I find the gmail app to be quite unreliable in that sometimes it won't update itself or notify you when you get an email. As far as I can tell it is set up correctly.

Is there a more reliable app that I could set up a gmail account on? I just want it to notify me when I get an email, nothing more advanced really.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Jippa posted:

I find the gmail app to be quite unreliable in that sometimes it won't update itself or notify you when you get an email. As far as I can tell it is set up correctly.

Is there a more reliable app that I could set up a gmail account on? I just want it to notify me when I get an email, nothing more advanced really.

Why not just use the built-in Mail app?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Can anyone recommend a video player app that can play off SMB shares? Paid is fine as long as it actually works worth a drat.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

~Coxy posted:

Can anyone recommend a video player app that can play off SMB shares? Paid is fine as long as it actually works worth a drat.

VLC app has support and is free, but can’t tell you how good at it it is. Infuse is probably going to be the better choice, but is paid.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

~Coxy posted:

Outplayer

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The iOS Files app.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

~Coxy posted:

VLC works great for this.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Jippa posted:

There’s a ton of good ones. Outlook, Spark, Airmail, etc. most of them are free or free to try so I’d say experiment and see which one you like. The default Mail.app is good but doesn’t support Gmail push so you only get notified when it downloads mail on intervals.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Seconding Outlook. I've been using my Gmail account through Outlook for years and it's been exactly what I need out of a mail app. It does Gmail push and is free.

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
I've used iCatcher as my podcast app for years. So many features, and it has a watch app that you use to play local media. UI isn't the best, but it works fine for me.

Edit: Didn't realize the podcast chat was old, but I'll leave this here anyway.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

EL BROMANCE posted:

VLC app has support and is free, but can’t tell you how good at it it is. Infuse is probably going to be the better choice, but is paid.

Thanks, infuse appears to be a subscription which is a bit crazy.

101 posted:

Outplayer

Thanks, will give it a shot if I get sick of VLC.

Warbird posted:

The iOS Files app.

Clunky and won't play anything except MP4.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

~Coxy posted:

Nplayer?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

~Coxy posted:

Thanks, infuse appears to be a subscription which is a bit crazy.

Unless they’ve changed things since I last checked (or perhaps it’s different between iPhone and Apple TV) you can usually outright buy the current version or subscribe and always get the latest one. People seem to really love it but I stick to Plex personally.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I think with 7 there’s no separate version, but it’s easily worth the ever-increasing lifetime price for how well it works and the frequency and quality of updates.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

yeah, i pay ~6 bux a year for it and i find it worth it. can download from my plex server with it and no plex pass.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

And the downloads actually download

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Have there been any new contenders in the ebook reader arena or is everyone still using Marvin3/kybook3? I’m getting by just fine with the built in book app but I’d be open to using something else that does it better (preferably still being developed, unlike the two mentioned ones).

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Warbird posted:

Have there been any new contenders in the ebook reader arena or is everyone still using Marvin3/kybook3? I’m getting by just fine with the built in book app but I’d be open to using something else that does it better (preferably still being developed, unlike the two mentioned ones).

i'm a yomu liker

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/yomu-ebook-reader/id562211012

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I was using Marvin, but they finally made it so you can email epubs to your Kindle app so I’ve been doing that instead so my books are all in one place.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mr. Fix It posted:

yeah, i pay ~6 bux a year for it and i find it worth it. can download from my plex server with it and no plex pass.

yeah infuse pro offers everything i would want from plex pass at a cheaper price and is a good app to boot 👍

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The Calibre Docker container is a bit flakey but I still prefer connecting to my server and pulling stuff directly vs emailing. I really really really wish I enjoyed reading on my paper white more than I do, but these days it’s mostly on the iPad when I have a minute to spare.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I like FBReader, it works and looks clean enough.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Warbird posted:

Booklover for me, but I’m using it for comics and magazines. If it would sync genres and data it would be perfect but the author states that they’re working on an overhaul that will do this as we speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Violator posted:

There’s a ton of good ones. Outlook, Spark, Airmail, etc. most of them are free or free to try so I’d say experiment and see which one you like. The default Mail.app is good but doesn’t support Gmail push so you only get notified when it downloads mail on intervals.

Cheers.