Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Played the Cult of the Lamb demo. I think the concept is great, but the combat system really sucks (it's really just QTEs) and the low camera angle just sucks all around. Don't think I could enjoy it but maybe some people could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Even in the trailer the shooting looked really boring.

I thought it was just me. The animation was both very janky, and a straight rip-off from DOOM (the double barrel reload). It felt like they rushed something out just for the trailer, which doesn't bode well. The facial closeup reminded me of The Outer Worlds, with the plasticky face.

I honestly expect another Cyberpunk type fiasco.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Starfield seems cool. But if there is ever a developer whose games you want to play on PC it's Bethesda. Their games run very inconsistently on console and benefit from mods. I think they had mods on console for Skryim? But it was kind of a gated mod system.

The romance of the three kingdom Nioh game looked rad and Persona 5 coming to Steam/pc is great news, basically the game that brought me back to JRPGs..

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I kept being tempted to buy P5R when I already own P5 and never finished it, and never felt like buying p5R, even at $40 or whatever for Ultimate (down from $100? greedy fuckers) because it should have been a $10 upgrade like with most other games.

But getting it for the PC, where I'd rather play it from the beginning, is tempting.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Is P5R worth playing/buying if you already completed the original game?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Depends on how much you liked it. It's new content is the best the writing's been in the franchise since the 2 Duology, but ninety percent of the game is the same. The new party member is bonus dungeon only, and most of the content is backloaded. But it adds dozens of new weird poo poo to do in the social part that help out in dungeons, fleshed out Akechi, changed up some of the dungeons, and the loving cat shuts up more.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Dusk devs just put out an announcement about Dusk HD. It's going to be a free update for anyone who already owns the game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

poe meater posted:

i liked it a lot, but you can pretty much answer it by asking if you want to do "persona 5 again".

i was on the fence but i really enjoyed it and the extra content (it's relatively obvious* how to unlock it) is worth it

*in case you're scared of playing an entire rear end 100 hour game and not unlocking the new stuff there are two new social links (and another that was a story-based link that was turned into an "actual" link in the rerelase), max them out

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Do you have to have played wasteland 2 to understand wasteland 3?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Do you have to have played wasteland 2 to understand wasteland 3?

Nah, theres enough exposition that you can more or less figure out what happened previously. As a heads up, the co op mode still has a decent amount of bugs that are not going to be fixed.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
How many of the PC Game Show announcements were Epic Store exclusives?

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

A good poster posted:

I'm sorry it was all of them, they're calling it steam's gap year

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Mordja posted:

Hmm looks like Humankind is mixed on Steam and it really feels like nobody talked about it a week after release, what's the deal with that game anyways?

There are only two real alternatives to Civ. It's either Humankind or Old World.

In Humankind, your "culture" changes ~6 times every game, but the impact of the culture is simultaneously too small and poorly balanced with some cultures being significantly better than all the other options. It uses a Paradox-style war score for every conflict without providing enough tools to allow the player to get what they want out of the war. It mostly guarantees having to fight the same war over and over again, but easier. Despite its flaws it is good fun for 1-2 playthroughs.

Old World, as the name implies, is limited to pre-modern technology levels. It adds a Crusader Kings-light version of needing to manage notable personages and families. It uses its own resource system that manages to break the primacy of production and introduces what feel like meaningful trade-offs in city design and development. The AI is good enough to win fights and wars. It is also smart enough to offer white peace when it is losing. Because its so different from CIV, it's got a steep learning curve.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The 7th Guest posted:

The full 2022-2023 schedule:

First off: Great posts.

Second: Can't believe they snuck a Party Animals launch confirmation on a slide like that after almost 2 full years since the last playable demo and the dev just kinda wanking off on twitter since then. What a way to squander the absurd public interest they had back in October 2020. Good grief.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I admire Amplitudes ambition in trying to shake up the strategy space. But they suck at making strategy games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

A good poster posted:

i don't think any were. Epic had their own show for exclusive announcements, and it was basically the stuff you expected, stuff they were publishing or publishers/devs they had past agreements with.

the only epic exclusive announced outside of the Epic show was Ooblets hitting 1.0 and that's BEEN exclusive so no surprise there

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

pentyne posted:

So other than this Marvel game which will apparently be amazing what are other good nu Xcom style games?

Wildermyth came out last year and it's a pretty solid XCom-style game. It's got kind of a papercraft diorama tactical combat setup that generally works its aesthetic pretty well and allows for fighting some pretty weird dudes.

It's set up to tell stories that take place over several chapters. Its overworld setup is a nice regional map with real-time movement and other operations, with several timers involved.

On a short timer, the monsters you face slowly get a little bit stronger, spawning multiple copies of previously singular foes and increasing in damage or armor.

On a longer timer that depends on the number of infested tiles (and each chapter starts out with a new unexplored section of the map that's at least partly infested), raiding parties of monsters will periodically assemble and march on the major settlements, and you can meet them on the hoof or hunker down in a civilized place and wait, building fortifications to make the fight a little easier.

On the longest timer, the chapter's generally got some kind of threat, like - we have to carve a pass through these mountains in order to get to the altar in the ancient before they can summon the Suneaters and, presumably, eat the sun.

Clearing out new regions gets your units experience, turns the regions into productive contributors to your war chest, and optionally, if you take long enough, gets somebody a sweet new upgrade to something.

The system plays with the myth concept in some neat ways. The first is that while there are structured stories, they take up a very small amount of what you actually engage with, usually just the opening and end of a chapter and maybe an interstitial fight or two. Everything else is procedurally-implemented locational featurettes with a large amount of available variation. Even when the same location comes up in two different games, the text won't be exactly the same, because the personalities and relationships of the protagonists affect it, as do things like the monsters you're about to fight.

The second is how they implement magic. Your mystic units use what's called "interfusion" - basically flexing off of nearby scenery to throw rocks around or make plants grab somebody or fire take a flying leap through a group of enemies. Not FFT-style geomancy - the actual blocking scenery objects in the diorama. But everybody can have something unusual become a part of their story as they draw power from an ancient lineage or ritual and become part gemstone, or part storm, or part wolf, or part bear, and see their body change as the story goes on.

Sometimes people can have multiple unusual things going on, like this magic blue wolf whose only regret is that he has but one mysterious ancient coin:

The last is how they structure the overall gameplay. Stories are, at most, five chapters long, and you can generally work through them in a week if you spend an hour or two a day. But at the end of the story, everyone who lived and died in it passes into myth, and you can select a couple of people to pass into a deeper myth than the rest of them. Some later stories can begin explicitly with people from a previous myth acting as veteran guides for the fresh-faced newbies, but always, when you have the option to recruit in later stories, you can grab someone out of a previous myth with a bunch of upgrades that they previously had, depending on how deep they've been before.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 13, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The little character stories in Wildermyth are great. I had a guy who turned into some sort of tree god in order to survive a terminal illness and he was in a really bad mood about it the whole time.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

1player posted:

I thought it was just me. The animation was both very janky, and a straight rip-off from DOOM (the double barrel reload). It felt like they rushed something out just for the trailer, which doesn't bode well. The facial closeup reminded me of The Outer Worlds, with the plasticky face.

I honestly expect another Cyberpunk type fiasco.

In the brief sequences it seemed like the enemies were doing generic animations that didn't respond to the combat situation - the sort of thing you'd expect to see in an action RPG, I guess.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

poe meater posted:

If you liked the original well enough (or it's been a long while since you've played): Yeah. It adds some stuff. It's essentially an "enhanced" edition like P4G was to P4 and FES was to P3 (or like the ports to GBA/DS/PSP that added a new dungeon or two to the older NES/SNES era Final Fantasies).

Ultimately, it depends on how much you liked the original.

Gaius Marius posted:

I admire Amplitudes ambition in trying to shake up the strategy space. But they suck at making strategy games.

Agreed. Their tutorials are utter poop. I'm going through Endless Space 2 right now since they gave it away a few weeks ago and am not impressed with the information/understanding they're trying to give you with this by hiding information in pop-ups and other sub-menus.

They got great artists as shown by the concept/loading screen art and covers, but their game designer/UI designers are pants.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I really liked Wildermyth, a lot.
The stories were really enjoyable.
But I kept getting ganked from multiple sides so if I spread my team out to manage them then everyone would end up dying.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

The 7th Guest posted:

NIVALIS (TBA) is the followup to cyberpunk taxi game Cloudpunk, taking the series in a more business management and life sim direction, as you run nightclubs and restaurants.

I love this idea, looked nice from the gameplay they showed. Hopefully it's got some depth to it, I wanna run my own chill cyberpunk cafe.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
can't wait to fall into the geometry in starfield and somehow end up on the other side of the planet like im some speed running god.

that's the real power fantasy of the game.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I really, really enjoyed Dungeon of the Endless on and off for several years. Probably should give it a spin again. Really excited to see Endless Dungeon is finally coming, which by the name and trailer gameplay bits did feel like something of a reboot of the idea. It really does have a very enjoyable gameplay loop for me, and Amplitudes skill on stylization and mood shows. Not one hundred percent sold on the art style yet, probably just because the contrast of the quite cartoony style in the coming game to the pixel art style of DotE.

Synergy screenshot there caught my eye just because yes we need more games with visual style clearly inspired by Moebius, like Sable, those beautiful fields of pastel.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I started getting into Avorion this weekend. Doesn't seem to be an especially popular game, but it seems really neat so far. Any goons happened to have played it (especially post 2.0) that might have some tips? :v:

I'd show off some ships, but so far they're kinda just ugly bricks.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Lunsku posted:

I really, really enjoyed Dungeon of the Endless on and off for several years. Probably should give it a spin again. Really excited to see Endless Dungeon is finally coming, which by the name and trailer gameplay bits did feel like something of a reboot of the idea. It really does have a very enjoyable gameplay loop for me, and Amplitudes skill on stylization and mood shows. Not one hundred percent sold on the art style yet, probably just because the contrast of the quite cartoony style in the coming game to the pixel art style of DotE.

:same:
I love DotE but the sequel/reboot art style rubs me the wrong way compared to the og's chill pixel art.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

OgNar posted:

I really liked Wildermyth, a lot.
The stories were really enjoyable.
But I kept getting ganked from multiple sides so if I spread my team out to manage them then everyone would end up dying.

To be fair I keep the difficulty down in games like this, but I think it's better *not* to spread out. There isn't usually a time limit or anything, is there? Maybe on higher difficulties that sucks also?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Signalis has been on my wishlist for a while now, it looks great. Tried the demo very briefly, couldn't figure out how to beat up enemies when they're down, ran out of bullets and got killed. Next try: when the game is launched.

Silksong being actually released in perceivable future also seems nice, but I'm a bit worried if lightning can strike in the same place twice. No matter what it's a day one purchase for me.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I don't see any mention of Steam

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1536309938942885889?t=F4Q9UnrAUGEE8hVzMfmiYA&s=19

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I put like 2-5 hours into Persona 5 on my PS4 and I do not get what all the hype is. One of the worst UI's I have ever seen, absolute form over function that hurt to look at. I seem to recall thinking the actual combat was fine? Nothing exciting but not terrible. Obviously didn't get far enough to see where the story goes, but I don't care about story in games so that's a moot point for me anyways.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Sab669 posted:

I put like 2-5 hours into Persona 5 on my PS4 and I do not get what all the hype is. One of the worst UI's I have ever seen, absolute form over function that hurt to look at. I seem to recall thinking the actual combat was fine? Nothing exciting but not terrible. Obviously didn't get far enough to see where the story goes, but I don't care about story in games so that's a moot point for me anyways.

so you’re telling me you got a jrpg known for life sim features, story and style, and you don’t like any of those things and were surprised you didn’t like it

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

A friend bought it for me so I tried to put some time into it but it was the most insufferable thing. Like I said the over-stylized UI was just unbearable.

Also gently caress any game that has a Fastforward button instead of a Skip button :psyduck:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

In the brief sequences it seemed like the enemies were doing generic animations that didn't respond to the combat situation - the sort of thing you'd expect to see in an action RPG, I guess.

It felt really off to see this in a modern game. Even games with bullet spongey enemies tend to have them react to hits, don’t they?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

I will be amazed if Starfield launches in a better state than Cyberpunk

Its gonna be so janky and broken

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I got Cyberpunk the other day and I've been pleasantly surprised with it. Not very far in and I'm enjoying the main missions. I don't really care about the generic open world side quests and I'm trying to play it like an expansive Deus Ex successor.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Sab669 posted:

A friend bought it for me so I tried to put some time into it but it was the most insufferable thing. Like I said the over-stylized UI was just unbearable.

Also gently caress any game that has a Fastforward button instead of a Skip button :psyduck:

the UI is the only good thing about P5 sorry

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I do not like P5 at all but it’s style is basically it’s strong point

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Does P5R lean even more heavily into the social link system? I played maybe 4 hours of P4G before I lost interest because the day part of the game cycle was tedious.

It's a shame as I love the combat system.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yes

it's not a game you'll enjoy if you don't find the life sim parts chill or whatever

P5R does make it a lot easier to max everything out (possibly to its detriment) though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

I will be amazed if Starfield launches in a better state than Cyberpunk

Its gonna be so janky and broken

It seems less ambitious than Cyberpunk IMO. Doubt your starting background changes how the game opens, so they can't fail as hard to make your starting background a really insignificant thing. Probably not gonna have ships flying around like cars in a dense city. Regions probably as densely populated as Diamond Stadium instead of whole rear end crowds. Reddit seems to say a lot of the animations look recycled, so I'd be surprised if there's random rear end T-posing everywhere.

I am genuinely surprised they announced "you can fly it" (your ship), though I won't be surprised if turns out to just mean entering/leaving the atmosphere or something really underwhelming.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 13, 2022