Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
They can't not have seasons in a diablo game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I'm so not into the overall art direction for D4. Why are all the colours desaturated? Why are the sorc's spells so sad looking? Didn't D2R literally go through a period of feedback where everyone was like "yeah, the lightning and cold spells look like poo poo, fix this"? Where's the colour!?

To say nothing of my continued wariness of it being open-world and group-focused, and my distaste for talent trees.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

bio347 posted:

I'm so not into the overall art direction for D4. Why are all the colours desaturated? Why are the sorc's spells so sad looking? Didn't D2R literally go through a period of feedback where everyone was like "yeah, the lightning and cold spells look like poo poo, fix this"? Where's the colour!?

To say nothing of my continued wariness of it being open-world and group-focused, and my distaste for talent trees.

People complained a lot at launch about D3 being too colorful so they probably wanted to harken back to D2's darker and desaturated aesthetic. I feel like maybe they went a bit too far in that direction and there are definitely parts that are too dark but overall I'm okay with it.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Ryuujin posted:

Yeah not sure about those massive bosses that require a bunch of players playing together. Generally I play these games solo and don't like to rely on having a party or a bunch of randoms to finish content.

This is me as well. Ever since the D:I fiasco, I'm gonna hold my excitement level in check.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Don't think you will have a choice, it seems to be online only again and you can't not encounter other players in the open world where these big bosses are

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lmao at blizzard breaking out the jangling keys after Immortal

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Mr. Funktastic posted:

People complained a lot at launch about D3 being too colorful so they probably wanted to harken back to D2's darker and desaturated aesthetic. I feel like maybe they went a bit too far in that direction and there are definitely parts that are too dark but overall I'm okay with it.

One of the design pillars for Diablo 4 is literally "a return to darkness".

edit: lol, I know Immortal (deservedly) got a lot of hate on the internet but the strong likelihood is that they are also making like a bazillion dollars with it so I wouldn't hold my breath that they see it as a failure.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
D4 looks great graphics wise, the endgame gameplay loop and skill system are a bit unclear. It’ll probably hinge on how annoying the moneygrabbing is

mewse
May 2, 2006

an iksar marauder posted:

D4 looks great graphics wise, the endgame gameplay loop and skill system are a bit unclear. It’ll probably hinge on how annoying the moneygrabbing is

This interview has a lot of information in it, but still vague about endgame. Rod Fergusson has to clarify that most people think endgame is "new game+" which tells me he's a console guy who doesn't quite know what he's talking about.

It sounds like endgame is going to be going out in the overworld and entering dungeons, they say in the interview that this is the equivalent of D3's rifts and they didn't want people teleporting from town.

They talk about "choice, choice, choice" and then the interviewer essentially calls them out "so are there not going to be optimal builds?" and they say "we're working on it".

Paragon is capped <-- this was a big one for me

The paragon boards sound interesting but it seems like they will have an optimal build. They talk about how two people who both want to be whirlwind barbs will have two totally different paragon paths, and I'm not sure I'm buying it. Maybe while leveling.

One thing is that early in the interview they say that your gear determines your skills in D3, which is fair, D3 sets are stupid powerful, but then near the end of the interview they mention a great legendary might drop that might have you want to change your whole build, which is what happens in D3.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
^ yeah I find it specifically perplexing and/or telling that they just said nothing about endgame at all other than listing it as a bulletpoint like 'player choice.' It's like introducing a car without talking about the engine or any of the internal systems.

VanillaGorilla posted:

One of the design pillars for Diablo 4 is literally "a return to darkness".

edit: lol, I know Immortal (deservedly) got a lot of hate on the internet but the strong likelihood is that they are also making like a bazillion dollars with it so I wouldn't hold my breath that they see it as a failure.

first week revenue was 6 million

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 13, 2022

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

The part of the endgame loop that they mentioned was doing "Whisper Missions" - which sound a lot like bounties - which have the potential to reward you with keys that you can use to transform dungeons in the world into "nightmare dungeons" (which sound a lot like rifts).

It sounds like they have other systems in mind, but were more cagey about what they might be.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Fergusson: "Immortal just launched, which is our big free-to-play mobile experience. It gets to reach a lot more players; reaching those 3 billion gamers who maybe only play on mobile. And so having that free-to-play on mobile going where they are and no barrier to entry means that hopefully a lot of more people are going to get to experience Diablo. Of course, we're going to have Diablo 4 coming really soon, and it's the cherry on top of that sundae. We're excited to have that feeling of the return to darkness that Diablo 4 represents."

probably poorly communicated, but lol at the idea of diablo iv as the cherry on top of the immortal sundae

E:

"Ferguson: Nightmare dungeons are our take on Rifts, and so if you've played Diablo 3 there would be a thing in town and you just go to it and opens a portal and off you go and you're standing in town going to it over and over. And now we have these Nightmare dungeons, which is like running a Rift in a way, but it has a sense of place. And so Joe has sigils, I have sigils and we're like, "Okay, where do we want to go? We have to go somewhere now," and, "Okay, let's mount up, get on our horses and we're going to ride west." And because that dungeon has a particular type of loot that we want to have or type of gear that we want to get. And so I love that feeling of place and not just grabbing a portal in town every time."

so rifts except you have to physically ride to the rift before you can run it? :stare:

"Fergusson: They're indicated on your map and so as you're riding along, you'll see, "Oh, there's an event, a shared event happening over there." And so you can steer off into it and bring your party with you. And then because it's on the map, others will see it too, so you can go and do it together and it's a great opportunity because then it has that optional feeling to it of, "Hey, we worked well together. Do you want to party up? Hey, let's just accomplish this one goal. We're all going to get our gear from it and then move on." But it's that feeling that there's things always happening in the world.

You're not always just be bee-lining a golden path towards something because as you're going, they'll be like, "Oh, I see a dungeon on the map. Oh, I see a shared event coming up. Oh wow. A world boss is about to appear. Let's all go do that, because I want to get the gear from that." Or even the small stuff, "Oh, there's a treasure golem that's now going to drag me halfway across the world because I try to chase them down to get hopefully a legendary item from it." So there's lots of things to interact with in the world."

This sounds way more like an mmorpg than a diablo game?

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 13, 2022

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I mean I know saying any part of Immortal is good is forbidden but the blending of MMO design and more traditional ARPG activities that they do there is actually pretty compelling - the dungeons and raid fights are pretty fantastic, for what they are. I think there's room for having both more "theme park" experiences AND the traditional ARPG loot-run style endgame in the Diablo framework and I'm pretty excited to see what it looks like when it's not encumbered by all the bad parts of Immortal.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Predictions:

* D4 will be some kind of hybrid MMO/ARPG more akin to Lost Ark than a traditional Diablo game.
* The beta will consist of only the early game experience, which will be exciting and incredibly polished. This will lead to a similarly polished but ultimately very shallow endgame.
* It will have one or more ways to directly or indirectly turn real life money into player power.
* Everyone will buy it regardless, and Blizzard will make a lot of money.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I’m assuming they will eventually make the monetization in DI somewhat less predatory and make a statement that they are listening to their players and getting back to their roots. They’ll bank off the whales they’ve caught between now and then, and bring in a bunch of new players from the player base who initially stayed away

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Predictions:

* D4 will be some kind of hybrid MMO/ARPG more akin to Lost Ark than a traditional Diablo game.
* The beta will consist of only the early game experience, which will be exciting and incredibly polished. This will lead to a similarly polished but ultimately very shallow endgame.
* It will have one or more ways to directly or indirectly turn real life money into player power.
* Everyone will buy it regardless, and Blizzard will make a lot of money.

My mind immediately jumped to some kinda Destiny style scenario. We're gonna be running dungeon parties and world boss runs. Destiny also has a shop but its mostly cosmetics iirc. The season pass in that is also mostly cosmetics and then they shower you with resources/mats and gear a little early.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
https://twitter.com/PezRadar/status/1536053922875310080

Well, this is at least a little comforting.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Cosmetic Items now increase damage to passive skills by 3,000%

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

The language of “built around” still has me wary, because it doesn’t explicitly state that other types of monetization won’t be available. “Built around” could mean “we mostly expect players to pay for these costumes, but you can also purchase other things as well”.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Yeah I'm guessing there's a reason it says "built around cosmetics" and not "monetization is just cosmetic." I would not assume they would be that slippery, but they told us that you wouldn't be able to buy gear in Immortal and you can't but you can buy gems to put in your gear that are the source of most of your damage after the honeymoon period. Functionally identical to what buying/gambling for gear would be, but technically not a lie. Boy do I love technically being told the truth so I can't get mad.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Herstory Begins Now posted:

You're not always just be bee-lining a golden path towards something because as you're going, they'll be like, "Oh, I see a dungeon on the map. Oh, I see a shared event coming up. Oh wow. A world boss is about to appear. Let's all go do that, because I want to get the gear from that." Or even the small stuff, "Oh, there's a treasure golem that's now going to drag me halfway across the world because I try to chase them down to get hopefully a legendary item from it." So there's lots of things to interact with in the world."

This sounds way more like an mmorpg than a diablo game?

What he’s describing is what Immortal has, and it’s pretty good fun for the little bit I’ve tried (no I did not spend money on it). It certainly encourages group play with randoms more than just “joining a public game.” If they can keep themselves from making d4 p2w, the experience he’s describing is likely to be solid.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
If the endgame is anything like D3's with Nephalem/Greater Rifts, Bounties, and seasons, I wouldn't mind that at all tbh

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah and Diablo 3 is one of the few games I really wanted more content on I’d have EASILY tossed them another $20 for a Druid and a new tile set. It’s like, if I can’t justify spending $20 every once in a while for a game I literally play for thousands of hours then I can’t really justify spending it on anything.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Diablo IV will use cosmetics as "eternal orbs" that you use to get your rare crests, legendary crests, eternal legendary crests, diabolical eternal legendary crests, angelic diabolical eternal legendary crests, etc.

Look, it's all built around cosmetics! Just buy 4 Nighthawk's Mantles cosmetics ($24.99 each) from the SHOP and then sell them to Pancakes the cosmetic dealer to unlock the ability to enter the SECRET SHOP** which the "game"* is not in any way balanced around.***

*"game" in this context means levels 1-4
**cash item from SECRET SHOP required for every level up past 4 ($18.99)
**cash item from SECRET SHOP required to boot the game after your 4 free Boon of Booting are gone ($2.99)
***hahaha gently caress you you still think we're blizzard we're 100% activision now and ps gently caress you ahahaha

lol at believing anything they say in 2022

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah and Diablo 3 is one of the few games I really wanted more content on I’d have EASILY tossed them another $20 for a Druid and a new tile set. It’s like, if I can’t justify spending $20 every once in a while for a game I literally play for thousands of hours then I can’t really justify spending it on anything.

Have you considered playing diablo immortal though? Instead of spending $20 every once in a while, you could spend it every few minutes!

I'd love for D4 to be awesome but it's been in development hell for almost a decade and blizzard has a pretty awful development track record for at least half that time and company culture for forever. As many posters have mentioned recently, a lot of things they've said about D4 just sound like what everyone says about world events in every game and it never turns out well.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

JonathonSpectre posted:

***hahaha gently caress you you still think we're blizzard we're 100% activision now and ps gently caress you ahahaha

This is the big thing that so many people miss.

The only good Diablo devs are the skeleton crew working on D3 Seasons.

What I'm saying is bring back Marvel Heroes. Bonus points will be awarded for also bringing back David Brevik and his streams where he and his wife play Marvel Heroes while drinking, and then after they're drunk, they leak upcoming content for Marvel Heroes.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I also really hope the cosmetics in d4 aren’t relegated strictly to purchasables. I loved using transmogs in d3 to make my characters look exactly how I wanted them to. I would not want to pay to do it.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Bust Rodd posted:

Druids just invite goddamn Furries, who wants their sexy whale money.

Bard class for life.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Lot of horse dismounts but it's still unclear how that system meshes with anything else.

Horse mtx gonna be big big imo.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
think faster, flashier horses will be a cash shop thing?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

think faster, flashier horses will be a cash shop thing?

You will pay to ride duriel around and you will love it!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
But will it be [GOOD]?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I felt angry at myself that I knew the trailer was Diablo 4 once I heard the word 'rathma'

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Diablo 4 looks loving ugly and forced multiplayer is also not what I want out of an ARPG whatsoever. Also loving hilarious is the ad copy that says that PvP has "always been a part of Diablo" or whatever, when it literally has never been a part of Diablo outside of the fact that it technically exists.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Bring back friendly fire imo

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Y'all remember pvp in D3?

Me neither.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I remember the outrage over what PvP ended up being when they finally out it in.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
No one will buy cosmetics if we don't shoehorn in a ton of forced multiplayer stuff for you to stand out in if you don't have any cosmetics. Granted every game selling cosmetics does this, but I still dislike it

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

No one will buy cosmetics if we don't shoehorn in a ton of forced multiplayer stuff for you to stand out in if you don't have any cosmetics. Granted every game selling cosmetics does this, but I still dislike it

PoE_rogue_harbor.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
it was nice that it actually made the game worse because they somehow left collision on so you couldn't even get to your stash