Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

verbal enema posted:

really? huh the more ya know

I am a rando from the internet but from what I have read/heard most people think Revelations doesn't jive with the Bible as it was written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mooseontheloose posted:

I am a rando from the internet but from what I have read/heard most people think Revelations doesn't jive with the Bible as it was written.

The Bible doesn't jive with the Bible as it was written, as even just the Hebrew part was written by multiple authors and then subsequently edited by multiple people over time. And what was canon and what wasn't was an even later decision.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

MadDogMike posted:

I expect there were several lame Knights of the Round Table who never made it into our knowledge because people thought they were boring/bad enough to never repeat the tales.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_of_the_Round_Table#Partial_lists

Look at some of the nerds that DID make it in. How bad are the forgotten ones if some of these losers got in?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

MadDogMike posted:

I expect there were several lame Knights of the Round Table who never made it into our knowledge because people thought they were boring/bad enough to never repeat the tales.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

One of my favorite knights who isn't in the greater canon of Arthurian stories is Osla Big Knife. He has a big knife, and as far as I know is referenced twice: They use his knife as a bridge once, and then later in the story he falls into a river and drowns because water fills his big knife's scabbard. So endeth the tale of Osla Big Knife, Knight of the Round Table.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Mooseontheloose posted:

and revelations.

it's Revelation

no s

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
oreo is hydrox fanfic

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
Happens with film sometimes too. Django has 30+ unofficial sequels.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
If you define "fanfiction" as any writings about a character written by someone other than the original creator of that character, then the entire bible is fanfiction. The Torah is fanfiction about Yahweh and his chosen people compiled long after the stories were first told, the other Hebrew scriptures were full of fanfiction OCs based on that (the various prophets), then in the New Testament, Paul added the most popular OC of all time, Jesus, and a bunch of people riffed on that for a while, with Revelation being one of the last ones written. Then the Council of Nicea compiled it all together and decided what was or wasn't "canonical" according to them, but I don't think that counts 'cause they were just basically a fan club. So Revelation is sort of a fanfiction of the Gospels which are fanfiction of Paul's teachings which are fanfiction of the Hebrew scriptures which are fanfiction of the Torah which is fanfiction of the original oral tradition of Yahweh mythology. And we can get one level deeper if we consider the Book of Mormon.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Perestroika posted:

And of course Dante's Inferno was basically author's self-insert getting to hang out with his favourite idols from history while describing how his contemporary rivals will totally burn in hell.

Really when you think about it, Dante's Inferno is like one of those lovely isekai animes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mad Hamish posted:

Really when you think about it, Dante's Inferno is like one of those lovely isekai animes.

Don’t those have to have gross sex stuff? I guess maybe that guy who eats his own children for eternity is doing gross sex stuff.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DontMockMySmock posted:

If you define "fanfiction" as any writings about a character written by someone other than the original creator of that character, then the entire bible is fanfiction. The Torah is fanfiction about Yahweh and his chosen people compiled long after the stories were first told

Told, not written down. So that's writing down versions of folktales, not fanfiction about characters already written about.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Perestroika posted:

And of course Dante's Inferno was basically author's self-insert getting to hang out with his favourite idols from history while describing how his contemporary rivals will totally burn in hell.

Bet Dante's wife loved the Divine Comedy:
"Hi, honey I just wrote an epic poem about how my true love guided me to paradise."
"Oh, how romantic of you to write a poem about me!"
"..."

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

marshmallow creep posted:

One of my favorite knights who isn't in the greater canon of Arthurian stories is Osla Big Knife. He has a big knife, and as far as I know is referenced twice: They use his knife as a bridge once, and then later in the story he falls into a river and drowns because water fills his big knife's scabbard. So endeth the tale of Osla Big Knife, Knight of the Round Table.

drat this owns

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The best knight is bedivere because he has a robot arm and is also extremely hot.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Bet Dante's wife loved the Divine Comedy:
"Hi, honey I just wrote an epic poem about how my true love guided me to paradise."
"Oh, how romantic of you to write a poem about me!"
"..."

Dante started writing what eventually became the Divine Comedy in 1308, 7 years after he was exiled from Florence separating him from his wife and kids

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There's an amusing british movie that I like that takes a modern spin on Arthurian myth, when excalibur reveals itself to a schoolkid and he builds his own small group of knights (two of which are former bullies that he wins over) with the help of Actual Merlin and ends with a full on siege and boss fight against Morgan LeFay, called The Kid Who Would be King. It's a fun movie with some neat moments, although the kid playing Bedevere/Bedders is directed oddly in that he seems to be trying too hard to sound earnest in a way that sounds forced. He has a good arc though. I think it came out about 6 years ago.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

hawowanlawow posted:

I'm gonna let y'all finish but El Cid is the greatest knight of all time

Funny way to spell Don Quixote.

Also, re. the Bible, there's no uniform agreement in what Christ's last words were between books - hell, it's even disputed if it was David who killed Goliath.

Samovar has a new favorite as of 08:29 on Jun 13, 2022

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DontMockMySmock posted:

If you define "fanfiction" as any writings about a character written by someone other than the original creator of that character, then the entire bible is fanfiction. The Torah is fanfiction about Yahweh and his chosen people compiled long after the stories were first told, the other Hebrew scriptures were full of fanfiction OCs based on that (the various prophets), then in the New Testament, Paul added the most popular OC of all time, Jesus, and a bunch of people riffed on that for a while, with Revelation being one of the last ones written. Then the Council of Nicea compiled it all together and decided what was or wasn't "canonical" according to them, but I don't think that counts 'cause they were just basically a fan club. So Revelation is sort of a fanfiction of the Gospels which are fanfiction of Paul's teachings which are fanfiction of the Hebrew scriptures which are fanfiction of the Torah which is fanfiction of the original oral tradition of Yahweh mythology. And we can get one level deeper if we consider the Book of Mormon.

I like the Star Trek analogy. Being Jewish is like watching TOS, Christianity is like watching TNG, and Islam is like watching DS9. And Mormons are the people who watched all the shows and thought they could do better, so they wrote a lovely fanfic and called it canon.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Gnoman posted:

One of the earliest known fanfiction/author disputes involved Don Quixote. After the original novel was published, there were a "sequel" from a different author. Cervantes was peeved enough by this that he sat down and wrote a proper followup (now just added as extra chapters on the end) 10 years after initial publication.

Incidentally, this is also why hideo kojima kept on making more metal gear games

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I think it's a shame the Book of Jubilees was left out of the Nicea Bible because it has a really beautiful and human account of the death of Abraham. That's my big Bible opinion.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jedit posted:

I like the Star Trek analogy. Being Jewish is like watching TOS, Christianity is like watching TNG, and Islam is like watching DS9. And Mormons are the people who watched all the shows and thought they could do better, so they wrote a lovely fanfic and called it canon.

So is the lovely fanfic the (bad) films, Voyager, Enterprise, Discovery, Picard or Below Decks? Because there's a lot of ST stuff not covered by that list.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Randalor posted:

So is the lovely fanfic the (bad) films, Voyager, Enterprise, Discovery, Picard or Below Decks? Because there's a lot of ST stuff not covered by that list.

No, it's the lovely fanfic. If you really want to add every Trek show to the analogy there's enough lesser denominations to fill it out, if you don't care about them aligning so closely.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BioEnchanted posted:

There's an amusing british movie that I like that takes a modern spin on Arthurian myth, when excalibur reveals itself to a schoolkid and he builds his own small group of knights (two of which are former bullies that he wins over) with the help of Actual Merlin and ends with a full on siege and boss fight against Morgan LeFay, called The Kid Who Would be King. It's a fun movie with some neat moments, although the kid playing Bedevere/Bedders is directed oddly in that he seems to be trying too hard to sound earnest in a way that sounds forced. He has a good arc though. I think it came out about 6 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZiUM7jknaw

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Alexander Hamilton posted:

The Bible Extended Universe

Christianity and Islam are fan-fiction of the Torah.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Honestly, everything after "Tribal elder who lived to see 30 summers speaks of great sky gods who bring heat and rain, and winter is their anger at us" is probably just EU fanfiction.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Galahad was a much later addition also - you see Malory's book try to sort of cover for this by making 'Galahad' Lancelot's original birth name and 'Lancelot' his confirmation name. He didn't get added into the stories until the Vulgate cycle in the 13th century. RUINING EVERYTHING.

It's interesting how a lot of stuff we associate with the Arthur legend is later additions. The first welsh and celt sources that mentions Arthur appears in year 500. Excalibur doesn't appear before 1190, the grail appears in 1200 and the lady of the lake gives Arthur Excalibur in 1215.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Vandar posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_of_the_Round_Table#Partial_lists

Look at some of the nerds that DID make it in. How bad are the forgotten ones if some of these losers got in?

Apparently it's supposed to have room for three hundred people; plenty of room for your own insert knights I guess. If a 3' diameter table traditionally seats 10 you'd need a 90' table; guess only true heroes can manage to pass the salt successfully.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Where's our movie about THESE guys?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Vandar posted:

Where's our movie about THESE guys?

P sure there's at least one anime like that, but King Arthur's probably a busty blonde woman.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea 'the round table' was huge and got tons of functionally just local mythos added to it as it spread. My favorite 'never talked about knight' is Moriaen, the son of a knight of the round table and a Moorish princess who had a story about visiting his mother's homeland and all that was basically an old timey 'get in touch with my heritage' story. Just kinda a nice, not super magical, story of someone with a very mixed heritage and the overall moral is typically 'your knightly virtues come from within, not who your parents were'.

I am also a big fan of Marrok who's entire surviving story is "the good knight, that was betrayed by his wife, for she made him seven years a werewolf."

It is not further explained, absolute gigachad energy in that blurb.

Shows up, compiles legends, includes one that's just 'a dude's lovely wife made him a werewolf for seven years', leaves, does not elaborate further.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Galahad was a much later addition also - you see Malory's book try to sort of cover for this by making 'Galahad' Lancelot's original birth name and 'Lancelot' his confirmation name. He didn't get added into the stories until the Vulgate cycle in the 13th century. RUINING EVERYTHING.

On the opposite end it's thought that Gawain significantly predates Arthur and is from older legends that got rolled into the knights.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

marshmallow creep posted:

but why is he called "big knife logan"?

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

christmas boots posted:

but why is he called "big knife logan"?

Oh, you know why :wink:

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

my favorite knights were the ones who were football players sent back in time to save the original knights or something

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

EDIT: WOW, That was the wrong thread. Please disregard what was previously written here.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 21:59 on Jun 13, 2022

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toshimo has a new favorite as of 23:31 on Jun 13, 2022

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Uh.....

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
your bed can't be that comfortable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Toshimo posted:

You ok there, bud?

They're pretty clearly not. Not until they get to lay in bed and scream.