Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Maxwell Lord posted:

This is all so complicated that it seems like it would just be easier to be nicer. Like if I'm having to maneuver multiple patsies into position that's gotta be most of my day, right? Just don't treat people like poo poo and now I've got more time for bingewatching.

I think for a lot of bad actors, the schemes and shadiness are the point.

Like how that pharma bro could have just had his inexhaustible supply of money but he couldn't stop being terrible.

For them, being lovely isn't a route to success - It is the success. "Find something you love doing, and never work a day in your life." The reward is getting to setting up patsies, lord your power over others, and reveling in adulation and affirmation of fans who don't have any idea you're like that.

We've seen it before. This kind of toxic behavior isn't the work, it's what they put the work in to enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Maxwell Lord posted:

This is all so complicated that it seems like it would just be easier to be nicer. Like if I'm having to maneuver multiple patsies into position that's gotta be most of my day, right? Just don't treat people like poo poo and now I've got more time for bingewatching.

But yeah, It's pretty much as simple as they view themselves as "greater" than the people they are working with, and as such those people are lucky to even be associated with them.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 11, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

moths posted:

We've seen it before. This kind of toxic behavior isn't the work, it's what they put the work in to enjoy.
Do they gloat to other predators or something? Do they have fun or is it just sort of like it shuts up the tension for a while? Mystifying all around

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Phoenix has still not turned comments back onto her Instagram. It's not surprising, mind you, but it's full operating bunker style for them which is probably hard since so much of their image is being out there and 'glamorous.'

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Dawgstar posted:

Phoenix has still not turned comments back onto her Instagram. It's not surprising, mind you, but it's full operating bunker style for them which is probably hard since so much of their image is being out there and 'glamorous.'

Two posts over all of origins, when she's the 'special guest' must have been the contractually demanded amount. Last time she did like 15-20 over a convention.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Epi Lepi posted:

I don’t think that tweet was related to this drama. It sounded more like a “someone I know died” tweet which I’m hoping is not about Billy Kametz though if it was more voice actors would probably be vague tweeting so I’m pretty sure it’s not.

I was wrong, Billy Kametz did pass which loving sucks. Cancer sucks.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kai Tave posted:

https://twitter.com/Gen_Ironicus/status/1535655561995460609

Grant is absolutely right, so much of this poo poo probably would never have even come to light if they'd just paid their freelancers what was owed. Even the rest of the lovely behavior, the weird cultishness and pick-up-artist tactics and Maslow's pyramid poo poo could probably have all just kept getting swept under the rug but they did all that and didn't pay people. You can coast on that sort of thing for a while, but once you start stiffing people then eventually that dam breaks and when it does it tends to break big.

LotFP is still standing because, the premise being stalkery and supporting Zak notwithstanding, Raggi pays his contributors, and well, and apparently on time.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

LotFP is still standing because, the premise being stalkery and supporting Zak notwithstanding, Raggi pays his contributors, and well, and apparently on time.

I was kinda bummed that Raggi couldn't pull up and get his poo poo together because he did a kickstarter where he had like twentysomething modules made, and he paid everyone what the highest paid contributor (Ed Greenwood maybe) asked for.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Gathering of the Juggalos School of Public Relations Management

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Absurd Alhazred posted:

IIRC he almost tanked in 2019/20 but did a very large sale which turned things around. He also doesn't seem to garner as much controversy as he did before, the only time I've seen the thread mention his product was the Wight Power modules, otherwise he's released quite a bit of product that nobody finds objectionable enough to mention (that I have seen). He still does Raggisms, since he released a video where he was buck naked showing off a new book he was covering his junk with, bragging that he hadn't showered in two days meaning that whoever got copy 001 would be getting his modesty prop. Which is about the same for his mode of advertisement

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 12, 2022

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

To the people that called the "this is a cult" stuff early on: lol

https://twitter.com/Madd_Minx/status/1535675423941615616

https://twitter.com/Madd_Minx/status/1535677778405867526

https://twitter.com/Madd_Minx/status/1535684278146764801

https://twitter.com/Madd_Minx/status/1535687112951054337

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
I think the most bizarre part of the Jamison and Saltine thing is how they yell at everyone about being unprofessional.

After all, everyone knows they both shat themselves at the Arby's on Aramingo Avenue during PAX Unplugged in 2019.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"We are not equals" (and I refuse to explain further, just double down on it - "I was perfectly clear") is just such a huge red flag. Jesus christ. I genuinely can't imagine spending any further time or effort on someone who said something like that, nevermind actually work with them. The amount of charisma and manipulation this guy must apply constantly just to override the flight instinct words like that should trigger must be remarkable.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i don't know that charisma has much to do with it vs. just picking on people who have been conditioned to accept abuse, which unfortunately is a pretty common by-product of our whole culture's approach to gender, labor, education, faith...

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i don't know that charisma has much to do with it vs. just picking on people who have been conditioned to accept abuse, which unfortunately is a pretty common by-product of our whole culture's approach to gender, labor, education, faith...

I mean, I guess I could see it being a Strength (Intimidate) check but usually yeah I'd say it's Charisma.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Arivia posted:

I mean, I guess I could see it being a Strength (Intimidate) check but usually yeah I'd say it's Charisma.

:golfclap:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Charisma isn't a thing. Manipulation is, tho.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

:rubby:

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

He still does Raggisms, since he released a video where he was buck naked showing off a new book he was covering his junk with, bragging that he hadn't showered in two days meaning that whoever got copy 001 would be getting his modesty prop. Which is about the same for his mode of advertisement

a) how do you know this
b) why did you watch enough naked Raggi to learn the premise
c) what

eta: d) who in the gently caress is paying any amount of money at all period for a chance at a book that potentially touched Raggi's nutsack

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

The amount of charisma and manipulation this guy must apply constantly just to override the flight instinct words like that should trigger must be remarkable.

I feel like Max's story lines up with a lot of others though, their tweets imply they were having some kind of problems and were emotionally and spiritually vulnerable (they say they uncomfortable but didn't sever for these reasons), and well, abusers can smell that on you.

I don't know that the dude is charismatic so much as he has a favorite type of victim.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

sasha_d3ath posted:

a) how do you know this
c) what

eta: d) who in the gently caress is paying any amount of money at all period for a chance at a book that potentially touched Raggi's nutsack

a) someone posted it elsewhere
b) I dunno, it's not like he had his twig and berries out? I see the same/worse at the beach, and the video was I dunno, eight minutes long I think?
c) I don't know what you mean, this is far from the first time he's been nude and it's not the weirdest thing he has done. i'm not going to defend it lol if you want more answers you'll have to ask James himself, but I can almost guarantee he'll probably reply with some variation of "because gently caress you, that's why" which was a calling card of his when I followed the product line more closely four years ago
d) i wouldnt know

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Charisma isn't a thing. Manipulation is, tho.

A New World of Darkness enthusiast, I see :v:

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

sasha_d3ath posted:

a) how do you know this
c) what

I'm all for making fun of TheDiceMustRoll for actually paying attention to LotFP, but it was actually kind of relevant.

In any case, it's kind of heartening that even an edgelord prick like Raggi knows to treat his freelancers well. It gives me hope that this industry could stop being an exploitative mess at some point.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Last I saw of Raggi he was begging "I have no money for up-front payments to writers, please write for me gratis because our royalties are always worth it down the road."

I'm glad to hear he treats some of his freelancers well for their sake, but let's not lionize him too much.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My father was (still is, I assume, but I've scarcely spoken to him in nearly 30 years) a user, kind of a sociopath. He was also extremely charming. Both my mom and my stepmom, his two exes that I actually know personally, have talked about how he was able to manipulate them in part because of how he flirts, winks, made them feel seen and flattered. But at the same time: lying constantly, manipulating, selectively isolating, simultaneously complimenting and putting down.

Maybe suggesting that Jamison has charisma is projecting a bit based on my own life, but it's certainly not outside the norm for manipulative people in general to also have a lot of skill at some level of superficial attraction. It's one of the factors that can lead their victims to internally dismiss the warning signs they're also receiving.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Yeah "charisma" isn't some magical unknowable force, but there are people who are significantly better at getting others to like them/listen to them (though because it isn't magic some are great at 1-on-1 or small groups, but incapable of public speaking, while others are incredible in front of an audience but quiet or intolerable 1-on-1) and that's not always "manipulative" in a bad way (though boiling down the concept of "manipulation" to something bad that abusers do is nonsense -- we all manipulate each other, constantly) but it does give them power over people, and, well, we've talked about how little power it takes to do great harm.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Origins just sent out this message.

https://tabletop.events/conventions/origins-game-fair-2022/update/safety-update

Doesn’t really say anything other than that they were aware of the events.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

That's so noncommittal it could be read as "there was a potential threat to our special guests but we found it to be non-credible." Way to stay out of it, Origins.

I wish I could respond to complaints with a verbose variation of "stop emailing me" and expect it to work.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 13, 2022

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Apparently Satine just pulled out of gencon?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hmm. I’m starting to let myself hope that this might Matter.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

NinjaDebugger posted:

Apparently Satine just pulled out of gencon?

Good, they were charging people $100 and $200 to play a loving 5e game with them. And I thought True Dungeon was a ripoff.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
https://twitter.com/yungdumbitch/status/1536101535058231297?t=oTaizeVedewM4yO_LKcAhA&s=19

Everything seems to be blowing up today.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I managed to fill a table at $45 per head at GenCon a while back and felt like I was PT Barnum or something. But we had a really fun time so hey. That said, 200 is nutso.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/RobertGReeve/status/1536168023559741442

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

So deeply, incredibly sorry (that some people are trying expose my bullshit).

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

SilverMike posted:

So deeply, incredibly sorry (that some people are trying expose my bullshit).
Yup.

The time for apologies is.... Uh... A few days after you get exposed and after you settle on a plan to make your husband the fall guy.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

theironjef posted:

I managed to fill a table at $45 per head at GenCon a while back and felt like I was PT Barnum or something. But we had a really fun time so hey. That said, 200 is nutso.

I always wondered about this - does the money go to you at the end of the con or do you just set a price level and Gen Con gets it all?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

sasha_d3ath posted:

I always wondered about this - does the money go to you at the end of the con or do you just set a price level and Gen Con gets it all?
I know at Origins it tracked pretty well with '1 dollar per seat per hour'. It mostly funded your badge if you did a lot of GMing, and I'm sure GAMA used that money to buy gourmet hot dogs as well.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

sasha_d3ath posted:

You pay to rent the table (usually six seats) and recoup the surplus.

The tables I have gotten in the past have been $4 for four hours for each seat (and I've sold them at cost). I suspect there may be additional fees for reserving the same room/ballroom for the whole convention.

Eastmabl fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Eastmabl posted:

You pay to rent the table (usually six seats) and recoup the surplus.

The tables I have gotten in the past have been $4 for four hours for each seat (and I've sold them at cost). I suspect there may be additional fees for reserving the same room/ballroom for the whole convention.

As far as I know, there are not, getting the whole room/ballroom for the whole convention, unless you are out to reserve a -specific one- is a matter of having an ongoing relationship with the convention. Heroes of Rokugan always gets its own area, either a single room in the convention center or a single ballroom/section of ballroom in one of the hotels, and has never done more than the base fee per slot. We get this because we're a large group with consistent attendance at both the convention and attendee level. Other orgs for various things get the same courtesy, because it's easier for literally everyone that way.

edit: It also probably helps if you're running back to back events for most of the convention. If you're doing like three seminars in a day but they're at 8 AM, 2 PM, and 6 PM, who knows where you'll end up? Especially if they're on different subjects.

Miniatures painting classes all tend to end up in the same area, except for the official Games Workshop events, which are off in a hotel in their own ballroom. They do try to cluster things together when they're the same type of event, and are reasonably good at it.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 13, 2022