Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oblivion is suddenly making me realize how much I really do hate the merchant system used in the other Bethesda games. In Fallout 3 (+NV), F4, and Skyrim (and I think Morrowind too, but I'm not familiar) all merchants have a set amount of money so you can only sell off so much junk before they run out and you need to wait for them to resupply. This gets tedious because if you've got a huge haul of crap it forces you to jump between different key merchants to offload everything. There's also a really obvious problem where as you improve the mercantile/barter skill or whatever equivalent, it increases how much of an item's value you get when selling it. The end result is that as you get better at bartering it becomes harder to sell things because you're depleting each merchant's money supply faster. Skyrim carries something forward from Oblivion to help bandaid this, which is that you can invest a lump sum of money into a trader to expand their money bank, but it only goes so far if you really break the economy over your knee and Fallout never got an equivalent perk for some reason.

But Oblivion goes its own way and sort of avoids that? Kind of? I honestly thought the game was bugged or I had a hosed up mod install because merchants in Oblivion have a static gold value that doesn't change, it's simply a measure of how valuable an item they'll trade in. If you had infinite apples worth 1 gold, you'd be able to sell them for infinite gold because each one fits within the gold limit. This takes a lot of the stress out of selling things, at least in the early game. The one added quirk is that merchants will realistically only buy to their preference. Ie, the bookstore only wants books, duh.

That said, my assumption is that once I start carrying Omega Enchanted Deathswords from the Planes of Hell suddenly this system will also break down because I'll have a motherfucker of a time finding someone to buy them. Also not clear how mercantile factors in, but the NPCs do have lines that say things like "I wouldn't normally pay that price, but for a customer like you...!" which implies that maybe mercantile bonuses are actually compensated for properly? On top of also having the "invest gold into a store" perk available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

John Murdoch posted:

But Oblivion goes its own way and sort of avoids that? Kind of? I honestly thought the game was bugged or I had a hosed up mod install because merchants in Oblivion have a static gold value that doesn't change, it's simply a measure of how valuable an item they'll trade in.

Yup, that's how Oblivion merchants worked, not a mod. The gold listed for them is the maximum they can pay per transaction. DLC/patches added richer merchants.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Playing VTM Swansong and its been aight so far, except now I am trapped in a room with apparently no way out. I need to open a door. According to every guide, there are two routes to open it, one through NPC dialogue and one through a logic puzzle. Except the NPC won't talk to me and another NPC is standing in front of the logic puzzle so I can't solve it, and I can't leave the room. Restarted level, following a guide, same thing. Really sucks the atmosphere out of it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Cool. Cool

So the Dancer's automatic grab slam is the new Aldrich arrow storm then.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

SubNat posted:

On the topic of Vampire Survivors: Passive Items on the map. For anyone not familiar with the game, you can have up to 6 weapon-type items and 6 accessory-type items.
But different levels spawn a couple bonus accessory items on the ground, you just have to get to them (pretty far from start). The game lets you have more than 6 accessories if you pick one up from the ground, but they also count towards the cap.
So if you pick one up before you've gotten 6 from levelling up, you've just wasted an accessory slot that run.

In practice this means that you'll likely run over to an accessory, then waste a ton of time waiting for a 6th accessory from levelling up before you can pick it up.
I really wish it'd treat the bonus accessories separately from the cap, so that I could pick them up early without wasting slots.

This is definitely a weird design choice. If you're going to have a second row for passives collected on the map, have a second row.

My little thing in VS is how stupid character unlocks are getting, from entering multiple cheat codes on successive menu screens within 12 seconds total to having a one second window if you meet all the other requirements on a run to hit a specific combination of keyboard keys that aren't otherwise used at all in the game. At that point, why bother adding new characters?

It's a weird bit of overly complex 90's adventure game logic in an otherwise simple game about making the biggest death circles possible.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The only part of that post that's wrong is that it's 30 seconds not 12

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
Stranger in Paradise Final Fantasy Origin (some combination of those words) has a terrible loot treadmill, and the auto-recycle gear option is nowhere near good enough to make up for it.

I think I spend more time sorting through gear than playing the game.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Cool. Cool

Grab attack without any visual cues are that they are a grab are one of the worst aspects of DS 3 fights, I don't really get why they are so prevalent - and so powerful at that, very few of them weren't a one-hit kill for me.

I'm glad you're making progress, soon you'll come to a boss I'm currently stuck on, and left the game a few weeks ago;)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

OutOfPrint posted:

This is definitely a weird design choice. If you're going to have a second row for passives collected on the map, have a second row.

My little thing in VS is how stupid character unlocks are getting, from entering multiple cheat codes on successive menu screens within 12 seconds total to having a one second window if you meet all the other requirements on a run to hit a specific combination of keyboard keys that aren't otherwise used at all in the game. At that point, why bother adding new characters?

It's a weird bit of overly complex 90's adventure game logic in an otherwise simple game about making the biggest death circles possible.

They're all references to old school cheat codes and secrets, so they're not completely arbitrary, but as someone who struggled to unlock Toastie for a while I absolutely understand the frustration.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

It will always drag any game down for me when I see an install size over like 40 gb. Had a look at forza horizon 5 today but it's 99 gb why

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Szurumbur posted:

Grab attack without any visual cues are that they are a grab are one of the worst aspects of DS 3 fights, I don't really get why they are so prevalent - and so powerful at that, very few of them weren't a one-hit kill for me.

I'm glad you're making progress, soon you'll come to a boss I'm currently stuck on, and left the game a few weeks ago;)
The Dancer's grab does have a visual cue, most grab attacks do, but
a) you gotta learn it through trial and error
b) the best tactic if the grab didn't exist is to stay in her butt and keep hitting it, which is the worst perspective for you to actually see the cue

I struggled a lot against her until I put some more points into Vigor and wore heavier armor. If the grab isn't a one-hit, you can risk getting caught by it and finish the fight real quick.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Waste of Breath posted:

Stranger in Paradise Final Fantasy Origin (some combination of those words) has a terrible loot treadmill, and the auto-recycle gear option is nowhere near good enough to make up for it.

I think I spend more time sorting through gear than playing the game.

I don't know how they looked at Nioh's loot system, saw how everyone hated it, and decided to keep it up.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Morpheus posted:

I don't know how they looked at Nioh's loot system, saw how everyone hated it, and decided to keep it up.

Are you saying you didn't enjoy "+0.8% damage resistance when using a certain weapon at full health"?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Are you saying you didn't enjoy "+0.8% damage resistance when using a certain weapon at full health"?

Hey now if you go to the blacksmith and spend resources you could max that out at a whopping 2.4% (before you ditch it ten minutes later)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

b) the best tactic if the grab didn't exist is to stay in her butt and keep hitting it, which is the worst perspective for you to actually see the cue

Is there an award for most awkward out-of-context line ever spoken? Because this might be it.

I started playing the new Lego Star Wars game, and a few things dragging it down are:
A) It seems to "only" covers the movies, it doesn't seem to cover the EU stuff (so no Rebels, Freemaker Adventures, Clone Wars show, ect) other than some DLC characters. I'm still fairly early on, so I'm hoping that changes, but so far no sign of the stuff.
B) The game manages to both feel longer but also much shorter for each movie compared to previous Lego Star Wars games. There's only a few actual stages for each game, padded out with open world sections and cutscenes that you have to manually trigger.
C) The open world segments just... aren't that good? Especially if you're like me and have a tendency to want to do a sweep of the area, get as many kyber bricks as you can (because you need them to unlock the character skills), except that a bunch of the kyber blocks don't even seem to show up until later movies, let alone need characters I don't have yet.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
You get all of the characters you need pretty early. Longest one will probably be Scavenger which you'll get from either Wicket or Rey.

Randalor posted:

I started playing the new Lego Star Wars game, and a few things dragging it down are:
A) It seems to "only" covers the movies, it doesn't seem to cover the EU stuff (so no Rebels, Freemaker Adventures, Clone Wars show, ect) other than some DLC characters. I'm still fairly early on, so I'm hoping that changes, but so far no sign of the stuff.
It won't, the DLC characters are basically all you'll get.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

BiggerBoat posted:

Cool. Cool

Fortunately the Dancer has hp comparable to Aldrich but less defense overall. The hardest part about her is the weird timing of her attacks, but she will often leave herself open for surprisingly long periods of time. And like someone else mentioned, I dunno what your vigor is like but it’s good to have more. If you’re not getting one-shot by anything, any boss becomes much easier

As a bonus, the Dancer’s armor set is one of the best looking ones in the game and it’s what I used for the rest of my playthrough

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Randalor posted:

Is there an award for most awkward out-of-context line ever spoken? Because this might be it.

You don't even get Dash Rendar?!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Philippe posted:

You don't even get Dash Rendar?!

No, but you can fly a YT-2400 though.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
There is no star wars EU. Disney destroyed it. You lost, nerds!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Playing Outward with a buddy. Walked into some fortress, where a guy asks us what we're doing there. Say we're looking for a place to rest, immediately thrown into a mining prison, not even a chance to fight (this is a game where, if you fall in combat, there's always a scenario that details how you survive, so failing a fight against him and getting locked up would be perfect).

What.

Okay fine, go around prison with all of our stuff gone, find a hole we can use to escape, do so, ending up outside with almost no health, no equipment, but my friend gets his backpack with all his stuff. I do not. gently caress. Back to the prison.

This time, go through with working there with the promise of getting stuff back. Finally earn enough money to bribe the guard and get our items back...except my backpack isn't there (my friend's, again, is). gently caress.

After some googling, find a place nearby where the backpack sometimes spawns as a bug. Go there, thank god my backpack is there and I put it on, but I immediately collapse from cold weather damage. My friend is nearly dead so we say, eh we'll just die, a hunter will bring us back to town where we can heal up, as they have in the past. He chugs saltwater until perishing.

Someone finds us and then brings us BACK TO THE loving PRISON. This time we say gently caress it, break into the armory, my backpack is now there (thank god), get our poo poo back and some extra weapons, fight our way out in a harrowing battle, activate a trap that dumps us out into some nearby cave and we hobble back to town, nearly freezing to death once more.

Honestly the narrative of it is pretty funny, but if we had stopped playing for the night at any time during that whole thing I don't think we would've picked the game back up anytime soon. It nearly dragged the game all the way down to the pits of unplayability, which would've sucked cause it's rather entertaining otherwise.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

What do you call all the stuff that they said wasn't destroyed or was made after Disney bought Star Wars? Honest question, I (unfortunately) knew people who refuse to acknowledge any of the post-Disney non-film stuff even exists, while proclaiming the old EU was the best material ever.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Randalor posted:

What do you call all the stuff that they said wasn't destroyed or was made after Disney bought Star Wars? Honest question, I (unfortunately) knew people who refuse to acknowledge any of the post-Disney non-film stuff even exists, while proclaiming the old EU was the best material ever.

It was all made null and void, all of it. If they happened to make new content with characters that existed in the old EU, then that's still canon, but until they actually make new material, those characters don't exist.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Morpheus posted:

It was all made null and void, all of it. If they happened to make new content with characters that existed in the old EU, then that's still canon, but until they actually make new material, those characters don't exist.

Right, but what's the term for the non-movie stuff like The Mandalorian that is still canon? I thought that was also called EU, and Legacy was just the label they gave the old pre-Disney content that is still published.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's called Canon and Legends. Canon is the nine movies and a couple EU works (I think the Clone Wars cartoon), Legends is everything else.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ilmucche posted:

It will always drag any game down for me when I see an install size over like 40 gb. Had a look at forza horizon 5 today but it's 99 gb why

I've been getting mad at games for pushing 100 GB lately, but Ark Survival Evolved just showed up for free on steam and it's apparently getting up towards 300 GB for the whole game + DLCs :negative:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Philippe posted:

It's called Canon and Legends. Canon is the nine movies and a couple EU works (I think the Clone Wars cartoon), Legends is everything else.

Rebels is considered Canon, so... WHERE'S CHOPPER? FIGHT ME, YOU COWARDS!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I think you hear Captain Syndulla called over a loudspeaker in Rogue One, so Chopper is there :v:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

BiggerBoat posted:

Cool. Cool

It has been forever since I fought her but I seem to remember rolling towards her is the best way to dodge that move. Also make sure you’re not encumbered/fat rolling because that’s a death sentence vs that boss.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Thrawn was mentioned in passing in one of the Disney shows (Mandalorian?) where there were also tons of KotR references as well - so maybe not entirely dead :unsmith:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Frank Frank posted:

Thrawn was mentioned in passing in one of the Disney shows (Mandalorian?) where there were also tons of KotR references as well - so maybe not entirely dead :unsmith:

Thrawn was on Rebels and as mentioned Rebels is considered canon. Especially now that they're bringing some of those characters to live action with the Ahsoka series.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Philippe posted:

11 (or 12) films, plus the various TV shows including the second Clone Wars cartoon, Rebels, and so on.

All of the books, games, comics etc that Disney put out are nominally canon but they've had no issue overwriting or retconning them.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
A funny side-effect is that Coca-Cola is more canonical than Kyle Katarn.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

muscles like this! posted:

Thrawn was on Rebels and as mentioned Rebels is considered canon. Especially now that they're bringing some of those characters to live action with the Ahsoka series.

Yea but we also got Krayt dragons and HK droids so I’m happy. Had no idea they brought Thrawn back for Rebels (I didn’t watch that - ashoka being treated as someone I should know confused me). Obv they can’t do the main plot line of the Dark Forces trilogy because some of the character arcs go in some pretty wild directions, but I’d love to see Talon Karrde or Mara Jade show up in some form eventually. Imagining a rivalry between Jade and Rey would actually be kinda neat.

NERDS!!!

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Frank Frank posted:

Yea but we also got Krayt dragons and HK droids so I’m happy. Had no idea they brought Thrawn back for Rebels (I didn’t watch that - ashoka being treated as someone I should know confused me). Obv they can’t do the main plot line of the Dark Forces trilogy because some of the character arcs go in some pretty wild directions, but I’d love to see Talon Karrde or Mara Jade show up in some form eventually. Imagining a rivalry between Jade and Rey would actually be kinda neat.

NERDS!!!

Honestly I would have been fine with Cassian Andor being named Kyle Katarn in Rogue One, that would have been sufficient fan service for me.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I like that DS3's solution " how do we make the player go back to this specific spot they haven't been to in probably 20 hours" was to just magically teleport you there after fighting one of the Lords of Cinder. No time to rest, refill flasks, get some estus soup or go level up. Just send you right into another boss fight . Hope you can kill the Dancer in one go so you don't lose all the souls you just got

Your Gay Uncle has a new favorite as of 18:29 on Jun 13, 2022

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I like that DS3's solution " how do we make the player go back to this specific spot they haven't been to in probably 20 hours" was to just magically teleport you there after fighting one of the Lords of Cinder. No time to rest, refill flasks, get some estus soup or go level up. Just send you right into another boss fight . Hope you can kill the Dancer in one go so you don't lose all the souls you just got

On the one hand, that only happens once you actually step forward to activate the cutscene. On the other hand, there’s no reason for you to not step forward. On the third hand, you can always just use a homeward bone, even during a boss fight, to return and heal

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've been getting mad at games for pushing 100 GB lately, but Ark Survival Evolved just showed up for free on steam and it's apparently getting up towards 300 GB for the whole game + DLCs :negative:

I've had this for ages and was going to install it on a whim last night but holy poo poo the base game is 125gb lol.

Also this discussion of the Dancer in DS3 is funny because I don't remember her being much of a roadblock at all, other than the time I triggered her waaaaay early on the hilarious advice of a friend.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Rockman Reserve posted:

I've had this for ages and was going to install it on a whim last night but holy poo poo the base game is 125gb lol.

Also this discussion of the Dancer in DS3 is funny because I don't remember her being much of a roadblock at all, other than the time I triggered her waaaaay early on the hilarious advice of a friend.

She has a very long reach and weird attack tells which cause serious problems if triggered early but yeah, she’s not terrible late game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kit Walker posted:

On the one hand, that only happens once you actually step forward to activate the cutscene. On the other hand, there’s no reason for you to not step forward. On the third hand, you can always just use a homeward bone, even during a boss fight, to return and heal

Also the souls don't actual matter very much, the game is just designed to trick you into thinking they do, for some reason.