Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

when people say "level your vigor" they often forget the implied "unless you know what you're doing" and it sounds like simply simon knows what he's doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Simply Simon posted:

1) sorry if you missed what I edited above
2) I'm cherrypicking and rushing to get my stuff, in this case the Ripple Blade which Loretta gates. I skipped a LOT of optional content, marked it on the map to complete later when I want levels. I'm level 40ish overall.

Ah that makes sense then. Sorry for the derail.

Cowcaster posted:

when people say "level your vigor" they often forget the implied "unless you know what you're doing" and it sounds like simply simon knows what he's doing

Yeah I wasn't trying to say he's dumb or something. Just pointing out his big brass ones for fighting tough bosses with such a small health pool.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
whelp, found the infamous anor londor sniper death trap. time to take a break and afterwards I'll find out if they respawn. I bet they do, seems like the kick in the nuts they'd enjoy.
I'm a sorcerer using havel's ring and catalina onion knight armor! peak fashion!

oh and I got invaded in sen's by some chucklefuck using crystal halo whatever that one shot me and they didn't take any damage whatsoever from 2 R2s so gently caress that guy

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 12, 2022

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Ragnarok is the only one that could feasibly stand a chance, and I think it has a good chance of it, recency bias always screws over games released at the beginning of the year.

Man it's going to be so sad playing an action/adventure game with QTEs in TYOOL 2022

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I mean Vigor is important but 20 is absolutely enough for Caria Manor.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

SlimGoodbody posted:

Imagining Elden Ring but your character is talking nonstop about every single loving thing that's happening and everything they see and reexplaining what it means every 30 seconds.

Ok To Be Fair, there's literally always a site of grace at the entrance to a catacomb dungeon thingy.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
That's fair to elden ring, sure. And the stream of endless talk is also fair to horizon

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Cowcaster posted:

Or doing any PvP or coop because if you are invading or getting invaded and don’t have vigor you are going to have a very bad time. It is mandatory for the “me and my buddy are gonna summon each other for everything” type of play through.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Imagine learning to parry and making progress by inches instead of face-tanking everything and doing jumping attacks with powerstanced colossal weapons and the only thing that can kill you is Torrent

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

hazardousmouse posted:

whelp, found the infamous anor londor sniper death trap. time to take a break and afterwards I'll find out if they respawn. I bet they do, seems like the kick in the nuts they'd enjoy.

They do. There's a thing about the angle at which those arrows push you when they hit that I can't quite recall. I know that you get pushed relative to the direction you're facing, not where the arrow is going - it's bad video game physics. I can't remember the direction though, but I think you're pushed directly backwards relative to where you're facing so run straight along the ledge and not into the wall and they can't knock you off with an arrow.

If you want an easier strategy: The Eagle Shield which you may have picked up in Blighttown has enough guard break or stability, forget what the stat is called, to simply tank arrow hits while walking up to them. Dude on the right will fall off the edge pretty quickly if you get in his face with the shield and block all his hits.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Yeah I found out the knock back physics the hard way. I quickly learned the guy on the left is blocked by a pillar and I could trade shots with the one on the right. Minor strafing to dodge arrows then hit with magic. The annoying part was I found out they do a slight upper body lean back when loosing an arrow which perfectly dodged my magic, it was some matrix poo poo.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Okay, definitely starting to have fun with multiplayer now. Godrick is still a bit of an rear end in a top hat, though. I must have been higher level on my first playthrough because I stomped through him really easily and didn't absorb much of the fight -- here he kills me in two or three hits, and he's got a dickhead combo with a long-range super-delayed fifth hit that's caught me twice now when I thought it was safe to heal. I summoned two people and had a good ol' time fighting my own Godrick, though, got most of the dodges right and hosed him up with laser beams.

Is this guide more or less accurate for level and weapon ranges for multiplayer? I think I might push ahead to Raya Lucaria in a little bit here.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Just went through Forbidden Lands + Mountaintop for the first time -- is there any evidence to support the idea that those areas were afflicted with rot at some point? I noticed there were some shared elements between it and Caelid, like the giant mutant monsters and the big skulls.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Music Theory posted:

Just went through Forbidden Lands + Mountaintop for the first time -- is there any evidence to support the idea that those areas were afflicted with rot at some point? I noticed there were some shared elements between it and Caelid, like the giant mutant monsters and the big skulls.

I mean the goddess of rot is hiding out in the Haligtree, and she presumably shed a load while being dragged back from Radahn.

I have no idea what the huge skulls are, they look way bigger than any giant we see.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

hazardousmouse posted:

I'm a sorcerer using havel's ring and catalina onion knight armor! peak fashion!

oh and I got invaded in sen's by some chucklefuck using crystal halo whatever that one shot me and they didn't take any damage whatsoever from 2 R2s so gently caress that guy

The trick with the Anor Londo Sniper pricks is to make sure that the arrows both hit you simultaneously, that way their opposing force will cancel each other out and you won't be knocked into the abyss!

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

hazardousmouse posted:

They do! There's other routes around them, but they involve getting past the archers first.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

IGgy IGsen posted:

I mean Vigor is important but 20 is absolutely enough for Caria Manor.

the manor is really easy to sneak and rush through and loretta is in the genre of bosses that takes a bit to learn but once you do has consistent and very manageable attacks

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Anor Londo archers for sorcerers: If I recall, you can also use hidden body to sneak up the buttress fairly easily. Once you’re actually up next to them, it’s much easier since only one can shoot you at a time and it’s easy to knock them off ledge by blocking their hits. Hidden body is really, really strong in general and should not be overlooked.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
What the hell are you guys talking about. You just run up the buttress, RUN! Their shots will all land behind you, just run, and get in the right ones face with a shield until he slips off.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I got tired of it and watched a YouTube video and it turns out you can just run top speed and you're golden, then you hang a right and you have to roll dodge the arrow coming head-on.

e:

War Wizard posted:

What the hell are you guys talking about. You just run up the buttress, RUN! Their shots will all land behind you, just run, and get in the right ones face with a shield until he slips off.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
In theory you'll parry that guy but I just get in that little corner and hold up a shield until he bounces off it hard enough to fall. Doesn't work every time, but often enough.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
You don't need to parry or block, just run up to him then buzz back off, silver dumbass will fall off every time.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The secret to every SOULS game is that you can just run.

If it's not behind a fog door then you literally don't have to do anything about it.

By design.

There's things that chase you but there's always something like an elevator or something nearby to make your escape.

Just run, bro.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 13, 2022

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Sometimes if I wanted a super-chill experience with those archers I'd just snipe them with some poison arrows, wait, snipe them again, wait, casually stroll up the buttress.

It's by no means Skillful or Efficient or Fast. But it is Chill.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

if you're having trouble you can parry an incoming shot to accept chip damage in exchange for not losing your footing

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I think I had more trouble dealing with the lightning gargoyles right before the archers than I did the archers themselves. I did get lucky since the left one fell off right as I got to the top.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

https://twitter.com/ELDENRING/status/1536211793332387842?t=IxWz4bcEYGTAExu78yd4pw&s=19

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

The Anime Liker posted:

The secret to every SOULS game is that you can just run.

If it's not behind a fog door then you literally don't have to do anything about it.

By design.

There's things that chase you but there's always something like an elevator or something nearby to make your escape.

Just run, bro.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/dualityofanigga/status/1536211939348492288?s=20&t=k-ungmevphIRCSJuSw4wBA

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
im shadowbanned twitter user @dualityofan-

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Is it ever worthwhile to upgrade a torch for the fire damage?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Paracelsus posted:

Is it ever worthwhile to upgrade a torch for the fire damage?

I don't think so. You can always make yourself a shifty fire damage back-up. I use a fire broadsword to kill trees and poo poo, it demolishes them.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
"Alright fuckers, we let you have months of the good poo poo, now it's time to nerf everything"

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

quote:

Fixed a bug where the “Claw Talisman” effect was not applied when jumping with the "Starscourge Greatsword" in both hands.

lol has epic high five been wasting a talisman slot for 200 hours

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

quote:

Added "Return to Desktop" to the system item on the main menu for exiting the game.

holy poo poo finally

edit: here's the rest

quote:

Major Changes Included in the Latest Update

Additional elements

In transactions with the NPC "Twin Maiden Husk", the following Bell Bearing items have been changed so that their liberated status will be carried over to the NG+ play.

Bone Peddler's Bell Bearing/Meat Peddler's Bell Bearing/Medicine Peddler's Bell Bearing/Gravity Stone Peddler's Bell Bearing/Smithing-Stone Miner's Bell Bearing/Somberstone Miner's Bell Bearing/Glovewort Picker's Bell Bearing/Ghost-Glovewort Picker's Bell Bearing

Added emphasis to the choice of the Sacred Flask and several other options that can be strengthened in the grace menu

Added sound effects when other players' summon signs appear

Bug fixes

Fixed a bug where equipment could be changed from the equipment menu during the use of a skill under certain circumstances.

Fixed a bug in the "War Cry" skill where the effect was applied to a weapon that was not the target of the skill.

Fixed a bug where some actions of the "Barbaric Roar", "War Cry", and "Troll's Roar" recovery time was longer than expected.

Fixed a bug where the effects of the "Determination" and "Royal Knight's Resolve" skill does not always wear off with certain weapons.

Fixed a bug in which some attacks of the "Ice Spear" skill are unguardable.

Fixed a bug that caused the attack power of some skills to be reduced when using the "Golden Vow" skill.

Fixed a bug that the light wave of the "Moonlight Greatsword" skill sometimes does not aim at the locked-on target.

Fixed a bug that caused damage to allies when using the "Seppuku" skill under certain circumstances.

Fixed a bug that caused the increase in attack power of the "Seppuku" skill to be higher than expected for some attack motions.

Fixed a bug in which a status effect was applied when using the "Hoarah Loux's Earthshaker" skill.

Fixed a bug where the "Waves of Darkness" skill would not hit the enemy with a spinning cleave.

Fixed a bug that caused unintended motions to be played when switching to a different sorceries or incantations while using a sorcery or incantation.

Fixed a bug that the FP consumption increased when using the sorceries "Magma Shot" and "Roiling Magma" while riding a horse.

Fixed a bug where the “Claw Talisman” effect was not applied when jumping with the "Starscourge Greatsword" in both hands.

Fixed a bug that the power of two-handed attacks except jump attack of the weapon "Golem's Halberd " is different from expected.

Fixed a bug that when using the weapon "Pulley Crossbow" with the left hand while the right hand weapon was given an attribute by magic or item, the effect was given to the "Pulley Crossbow" as well.

Fixed a bug in which arrows and bolts that did not match the type of long-range weapon could be released in certain procedures.

Fixed a bug in which guard boost was reduced when some weapons were strengthened to the maximum.

Fixed a bug in which the attributes of weapons could be changed while the inventory had reached its maximum capacity and the ashes of war could not be changed.

Fixed a bug that caused the boss "Malenia, Goddess of Rot" to have low HP under certain circumstances.

Fixed a bug that allowed enemies to be attacked from outside the fog in certain areas.

Fixed a bug in online multiplayer where, when a boss is defeated in the host's world as a cooperative player, the same boss may not appear in your world.

Fixed a bug that prevented the battle with the boss "God-Devouring Serpent" from progressing under certain circumstances.

Fixed a bug that prevented hostile NPCs from appearing under certain circumstances.

Fixed a bug that prevented the event of the NPC "Alexander, Warrior Jar" from progressing under certain circumstances.

Fixed an issue where the item "Sacred Flask" is not restored after destroying a group of enemies under certain circumstances.

Fixed a bug that under certain circumstances, after defeating the boss "Starscourge Radahn", the user could not move from the map to the grace.

*If you cannot move from the map to the grace, you can move to the grace by touching the grace "Starscourge Radahn”.

Fixed a bug that prevented found sites of grace from registering on the map under certain circumstances.

Fixed a bug that prevented some graces from being able to be touched when approached under certain circumstances.

Fixed a bug that allowed hostile guests to enter boss areas under certain circumstances.

Fixed a bug that prevented a critical hit from behind from hitting in hostile multiplayer.

Fixed a bug that caused performance to slow down when the "Sentry's Torch" weapon was equipped under certain circumstances.

Improved stability of online multiplayer between PS4 and PS5

Improved loading times for the Xbox Series X|S version

Fixed a bug that the master volume setting was not reflected in some cutscenes

Improved stability of online multiplayer.

Fixed a bug that caused sounds to play differently than expected in some situations.

Fixed a bug that caused the player to become inoperable and die in certain locations.

Fixed a bug in which the drawing and hit detection were different than expected in some maps.

Fixed a bug in some maps that allowed players to reach unexpected locations with certain procedures.

Fixed some texts.

Several other performance improvements and bug fixes

Additions and modifications for PC version only

Added keyboard/mouse operations that can be input in "PRESS ANY BUTTON" on the title screen.

Added "Return to Desktop" to the system item on the main menu for exiting the game.

Changed so that mouse click input is not reflected when switching windows to active.

Fixed a bug that slowed performance when changing "Screen Mode" and "Resolution" in a special procedure.

The version number of this update shown at the lower right corner of the Title Screen will be as follows:

App Ver. 1.05

Regulation Ver. 1.05

Online play requires the player to apply this update.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hmmm these patch notes seem like they could impact speedruns, interesting

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Not much in the way of nerfs or buffs actually. Mostly just bug fixes and letting your ball bearings remain available into NG+. Also undisclosed changes to the Wondrous Physick.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bell bearings carrying to NG+ (more so the smithing and ashes ones) is loving great.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Guillermus posted:

Bell bearings carrying to NG+ (more so the smithing and ashes ones) is loving great.

This appears to not be working, or just doesn't work retroactively (my NG+3 playthrough doesn't have any of the old bearings). Which sucks, but hopefully future reruns will be easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I think with this latest round of bug fixes, cheesing Mohg early is now impossible. Before there was a way you could shoot him through the fog gate IIRC and poison him to death.