Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

season 4 is clearly just Hank, back in cali, taking the beigne franchise nationwide with absolutely no reference to barry, sally, or the Raven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Mover posted:

season 4 is clearly just Hank, back in cali, taking the beigne franchise nationwide with absolutely no reference to barry, sally, or the Raven

he would 100% name a signature recipe beignet after Barry

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I don't think there's a huge corner they're written into, Sally will provide an alibi for the night of Janice's killing, because she was also at the cabin the night Janice was killed and Sally has a reason to cover for him now.

Great finale though, the scene in Barry's apartment was incredibly tense

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah i wonder if barry threatening dude with a gun is the only actual crime they can prove he's done

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

holy cow

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
I had to rewatch ronny/lily just for a laugh after that finale. How is this simultaneously the best action, comedy and drama show on TV right now?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Another Bill posted:

I don't think there's a huge corner they're written into, Sally will provide an alibi for the night of Janice's killing, because she was also at the cabin the night Janice was killed and Sally has a reason to cover for him now.

But didn't she just abandon Barry by getting on a plane to Joplin?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

eke out posted:

yeah i wonder if barry threatening dude with a gun is the only actual crime they can prove he's done

I was thinking Fuches embracing the Raven identity might play into Barry getting out of trouble too

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
he better not mr robot us im wise to that poo poo homie

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Barry: The Oz Years.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The ending puts an interesting light on Moss' interrogation of Gene, IMO. Did it really happen that way, or is that just Gene's acting? In any case, the way he looks at Barry when he's walked out has an air of smugness to it. He believed him.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The tiger scene was scarier than most horror movies

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Stuck the landing. In the modern world of hour long + dramas, it really sticks out how loving good this show is/was, even if it was just at 30min per ep.

I recall enjoying Barry, but this season is gonna make me rewatch it to see if S1 and S2 were as good as it was and I just forgot somehow. Like, 10/10. Good job Hader and crew.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I thought the dancing Bolivian man was cgi or something at first. He looked creepily unnatural.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

wizardofloneliness posted:

I thought the dancing Bolivian man was cgi or something at first. He looked creepily unnatural.

Also this. It was like watching an SCP gif, or mini-inflatable slenderman

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I liked that we got to see but not hear Sally do her thing, and then Hank got to hear but not see the Tiger do its thing.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I am constantly amazed at actors and their abilities. How the gently caress do you go from normal person and in an instant become someone who just experienced and witnessed insane unimaginable trauma and emote it? Just phenomenal stuff from Sarah Goldberg

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

veni veni veni posted:

The tiger scene was scarier than most horror movies

Based on it pounding on the walls, I assumed it was a gorilla.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

It's a panther according to the interview posted above. I didn't know either. Now I think I half-remember Cristobal's wife as being nicknamed the panther, maybe? I'm bad at details

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That whole thing was just completely hosed. They just unleash a monster on some dudes while she's upstairs trying to do shock therapy on Cristobal.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I had to mute the animal dying. I couldn’t listen to it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

What was she saying in Spanish? My assumption is some kind of ungaying brainwashing because of the dancing guy but it could have just been torture for all I know.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Coxswain Balls posted:

What was she saying in Spanish? My assumption is some kind of ungaying brainwashing because of the dancing guy but it could have just been torture for all I know.

I'm bad at Spanish but she was basically going, "You like this?? You like this huh??? Look at him!!" and turning on the electricity. Then later when she's like "oh poo poo did I overdo it" she's asking him/begging him to look at her and touch her.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hawkperson posted:

I'm bad at Spanish but she was basically going, "You like this?? You like this huh??? Look at him!!" and turning on the electricity. Then later when she's like "oh poo poo did I overdo it" she's asking him/begging him to look at her and touch her.

That was also my highly amateur translation. I don't think she was worried about overdoing it though, I think she was following up the aversion therapy portion of the session by trying to tempt him with her body. Hence the switch to romantic piano music.

Anyway, Albert's ridiculous Brooklyn accent keeps cracking me up.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
She looked worried like she went too far there to me, but I also thought he died in NohoHank's arms at first.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Coxswain Balls posted:

Yeah, it's just generic straight-washing stuff. Went back to rewatch it in case I missed anything so I went ahead and transcribed it below:

Elena:

Watch him dance. Look at his dick. His muscles. Look, Cristobal. Keep looking, take a good look. Is this what you like, Cristobal? Huh? You like it? You like that? You want more?

*After long electric shock*

Gustavo, no more!

Gustavo, playing piano, singing:

Look into those eyes -

Elena:

Shut up, oval office!

(To Cristobal) Oh, get up. Get up, baby. There, there. Look at me. Look at my lips. Look at my neck. Hmm? Cristobal, look at me. Please, baby. Touch me. You don't like that? Caress my skin. Caress me!

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

I'd like to see Ol' Berkman wriggle his way out of THIS jam!

You think Gene was able to avoid mentioning the huge bag of cash he got from Barry's hit on the Bolivians? I forget if he spent any of it...

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Dick Jones posted:

I'd like to see Ol' Berkman wriggle his way out of THIS jam!

You think Gene was able to avoid mentioning the huge bag of cash he got from Barry's hit on the Bolivians? I forget if he spent any of it...

Wasn't it assumed he used it to buy his son that home?

big cummers ONLY posted:

The whole episode was so loving fast. Several scenes where I felt sick from the brutality. God drat, I don't think I'll be able to even have an opinion about this episode until I can sleep on it and watch it again. Did anyone else think Barry should have been smart enough not to walk into the trap? It felt a little predictable when i would have liked something from out of left field. I am bad at predicting what's happening in stories but I felt like it was so obviously a trap that Barry would see it too, no matter how crazed he is. it still works well enough and everything else about this episode is absolutely s-tier television.

Honestly I figured that was the point. It's such an obvious bait in retrospect but he was extremely emotional in the moment after his run in with warbuddy fed, phone call with Sally and then Cousineau.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 13, 2022

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

If there's anyone who hasn't seen it yet, check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIVJ-2uGiqU

It doesn't necessarily have to be something immediately after like a trial, but the stuff that happens after the criminal gets caught can be just as interesting and I like how that seems to be the approach Hader may be taking with this ending.

(Interview with Albert about how Barry saved his life in Korengal)
And that's when he snapped

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

Hell yes, I'm excited to watch that.

Also a random plug for my favorite IFC production: The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret

Push El Burrito posted:

That was a good show and, man, that guy really did make some poor decisions.

I watched that show a few years back during a week I was homebound with the flu. It wasn't often Ha Ha funny, but if you like slowly escalating ridiculousness and yes some monumentally bad decisions then it's definitely worth a watch.

oh jay posted:

Some of those decisions were a dream or something though. I can't really remember what was going on with that last season.

That was weird as poo poo and unlike anything I've ever seen another TV show do. Season 3 was like an alternate universe retelling of the show as a dream sequence / hallucination. Barry might be the only other series where I could imagine something like that actually working.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Speaking of, I wonder if they originally filmed a longer scene with him on the phone, he gets killed, and later on, they just decided to start the show with him already dead.

And then, hey, years later, they get to finally use that footage, except we now see his wife on the other end.

Has either Hader or Berg spoken about this scene at all?

I haven't listened to the podcast for this episode, if it's even out yet, but I expect that the 'extra' scenes we didn't see in s1e1 were in fact shot for season 3. On shows like this there's usually a 'chronology manager' or something who's entire job it is to catalog stuff like that, for reshoot purposes if nothing else.

muscles like this! posted:

We haven't seen him since he cocked his gun in front of us and left

:rubby:

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Another Bill posted:

They have Barry cold on aggravated assault/attempted murder of Jim. Fuches is willing to spill the beans on all of Barry's deeds. Gene will testify that Barry held him at gunpoint and threatened to murder his family. Albert is probably going to alert the authorities about the burial site, especially when he finds out that Barry tried to kill Jim right after their encounter. And some of the people Fuches told about Barry are still out there but I'm not sure they'd come forward after their bungled revenge attempts. One thing I could see happening in S4 is Hank and Cristobal worried about Barry implicating them and then botching a hit during a prison bus transfer or something. And when the media gets wind of the shocking new twist to the Gene/Barry redemption story... Sally was dating Barry during all these events so she'll fall under suspicion too.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

that really would've been an incredible series finale

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Phenomenal episode, glad to finally see the intense scene Winkler was talking about, it's definitely insanely well done. Honestly I couldn't possibly gush enough about this episode.

...except for some reason that final scene, literally the last shot and only the last shot, which was very well framed and interesting, just felt like the season ending on an incredibly dull whimper. I have no idea why. I really cannot explain it. I do love that, in a way, it feels a bit... experimental? Different? Not normal? But it also just kinda felt like the season ending on a "well, that's all we filmed, sorry, bye!" I really seriously do not know how else to put it.

But, yeah, amazing show. For those who are gonna go back and rewatch the first two seasons, no, it's not nearly as good. I even had a friend watch the first season and say "I don't get why you guys are so hype about this show" so there is definitely an exponential level of quality increase over the seasons. I cannot begin to imagine how a fully Hader-directed season 4 is going to go. I have to think beyond what Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul have achieved. Beyond what Severance has achieved. We'll see.

Edit: Their timing on Sally's choking was impeccable. Literally in the final second before saving herself, I thought she was a goner. They got me.

Can we just cut the award for best supporting actress into 3 and give it to Sarah Goldberg, Rhea Seehorn, and Patricia Arquette? I don't think Hollywood has ever had such high quality supporting actresses in a single year, let alone set of years.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 13, 2022

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

god drat christobal cannot catch a break. between barry, his dad, his wife, barry again, and now hank he's lost everything.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

god drat christobal cannot catch a break. between barry, his dad, his wife, barry again, and now hank he's lost everything.

tbh what he had wasn't worth having. It's hard to feel bad for murderers and high level cartel members.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah it's hard to be sympathetic to guys in their line of work but still, that's rough buddy lol

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I'm not sure I entirely got the look that Noho gets when he's finally back with Cristobal; is it a realization that they can't be together, with the all red flags that beignets man mentioned, or is Cristobal brain dead or what happened there? I can only hope at that point Hank's character takes a look at his life and realizes how unhappy and untenable it is, what with nearly being fed to a panther.

Also I'm not sure why Albert wouldn't have taken Barry in when he had the chance; sure, he mentions that he owes Barry his kid's life cause he saved him...but also he can tell that Barry is a mentally broken, multi-murderer. So it would seem that from a friend's point of view, they'd get the dude off the streets so he's no longer a danger since he's not in a mentally good state. The way that scene ended was just very sudden and anti-climactic, or maybe Albert will continue on to the next season?

Likewise the plot with Gene, and him trying to get back in good graces with his ex by securing her work. But all the work seems terrible; like Gene isn't a good teacher and she feels out of her depth there, and then they'll want to broadcast out in theaters a live play by amateur child actors (when even normal live performances that aren't regularly done are usually a train wreck)....and then to top it all off, he recommends that she do ummm 'Sex Chrome no.9'? Was that what I heard? Yet again, maybe it's a setup for the next season but it seems an odd scene to have in a finale with no real pay off.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I thought the implication was that Cristobal died.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Slamhound posted:

I thought the implication was that Cristobal died.

When it cuts back to Hank's face it looks like Cristobal's still standing up on his own, dazed and disoriented but alive and probably not permanently brain-damaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Dick Jones posted:

They have Barry cold on aggravated assault/attempted murder of Jim. Fuches is willing to spill the beans on all of Barry's deeds. Gene will testify that Barry held him at gunpoint and threatened to murder his family. Albert is probably going to alert the authorities about the burial site, especially when he finds out that Barry tried to kill Jim right after their encounter. And some of the people Fuches told about Barry are still out there but I'm not sure they'd come forward after their bungled revenge attempts. One thing I could see happening in S4 is Hank and Cristobal worried about Barry implicating them and then botching a hit during a prison bus transfer or something. And when the media gets wind of the shocking new twist to the Gene/Barry redemption story... Sally was dating Barry during all these events so she'll fall under suspicion too.

The attempted murder of Jim was arguably Entrapment; Cousineau was acting directly as an agent of the police when he convinced Barry to commit a crime and put a gun in his hand. Albert can put a body on Barry, but it's ironically the one body Barry didn't murder, and even then it was self-defense. Janice was killed by The Raven, a deadly Chechen assassin, and all the Chechens that could testify otherwise are all dead or have fled the country. Cousineau and Fuches can both implicate Barry, but Fuches is a nightmare witness and Cousineau is... Cousineau. Can you imagine how the cross-examination on character of Gene Cousineau would go?

It would be the most Barry thing of all if Barry finally got caught up in the criminal justice system only to ended up walking because of being a six foot two white guy who was in a TV show that one time.