Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Yeah, I got the impression he was alive and was standing on his own, but yeah, I would assume Cristobal would have his brain scrambled at that point? Or maybe his wife had just started to do that, cause I don't think there were any indications earlier of the electric surges, or maybe those were only happening cause the wife was going too far, and that's why Cristobal was unresponsive at that point? I suppose there's a few options of how to take that scene and I'm mostly just happy they didn't take the moment to kill Hank off as a season finale shocker (cause it does seem like the house should have a few more guards than ummm one to two?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

muscles like this! posted:

I think they might just entirely skip the trial because once someone actually starts looking into Barry his entire house of cards is going to collapse pretty quickly. So there isn't that much he can do about it.

he can do acting in front of the jury 😌

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

After this season I don't know how Bill Hader and Sarah Goldberg don't win every award.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The attempted murder of Jim was arguably Entrapment; Cousineau was acting directly as an agent of the police when he convinced Barry to commit a crime and put a gun in his hand. Albert can put a body on Barry, but it's ironically the one body Barry didn't murder, and even then it was self-defense. Janice was killed by The Raven, a deadly Chechen assassin, and all the Chechens that could testify otherwise are all dead or have fled the country. Cousineau and Fuches can both implicate Barry, but Fuches is a nightmare witness and Cousineau is... Cousineau. Can you imagine how the cross-examination on character of Gene Cousineau would go?

It would be the most Barry thing of all if Barry finally got caught up in the criminal justice system only to ended up walking because of being a six foot two white guy who was in a TV show that one time.

Unless I'm remembering it wrong Barry forcefully demands that Gene give him the gun and Gene repeatedly asks him not to go into Jim's house. Even though the biker guy tried to kill Sally, it's hard to claim self-defense when the injuries clearly indicate a rage-killing and instead of calling 911 Barry stuffed the body into a sleeping bag and buried him in a shallow grave. The guy's also connected to Taylor which makes the burial look even more suspicious. The Raven bullshit is over now that LAPD knows who Fuches really is, they have Gene's account of Barry's threats, and they've caught Barry in the act trying to whack Janice's father.

Dick Jones fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 13, 2022

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
holy loving poo poo that was a great episode

also lol if Hader isn't Catholic I'll eat my hat

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Haders dad was extremely Catholic but Hader says he is not, but might have gotten some via osmosis.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

GreenNight posted:

Haders dad was extremely Catholic but Hader says he is not, but might have gotten some via osmosis.

Same here; my dad was pushed into catholicism by his parents (church every night during lent!!) and I was raised less catholic than that, but it's still there, still bullshit, and I totally get it.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

so I think this post may serve better as a tortured reddit theorycrafting post but, the Swim Instructors scene breakdown is a mirror of what's going on in Barry maybe?

scene 1: JT loses his girlfriend by having the horns of the cuckold forced upon him, loss
scene 2: JT seeks revenge by making GBS threads in the pie, grief
scene 3: JT ends up eating the poo poo pie by mistake, comeuppance
scene 4: there's a little girl drowning but JT does not need to go save her, because he already taught her to swim

lost his sense of purpose (killing people); creates the poo poo-laced pie when he kills Janice and leaves her body at the cabin; eats the poo poo pie by mistake thinking he is saving Gene; Barry taught Sally to "swim" somehow and he's going to get redemption through whatever she does in s4?

anyway - show rules

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
I don't know if I have been as anxious or rattled by a TV show in a long time, what a great finale. The scene with Sally was top-tier, absolutely astounding. Haven't seen anything that intense since the Sopranos.

Not sure where the show will go from here, but I am curious to see. I will need the downtime between seasons to de-stress, though.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
Holy poo poo, the bit with the biker dude getting knifed in the neck and complaining about her putting something in his eye was hilarious and really disturbing. What a show!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Not saying anything new but the season finale was horrifying at numerous times and could have easily served as a series finale. Whatever Hader has in mind for the future, as long as he keeps directing it I'm in

One of the best seasons of the decade. Give Hader and Sarah Emmies

Ishamael posted:

I will need the downtime between seasons to de-stress, though.

Yeah, I'm very grateful to have read a post-show interview with Hader where he mentioned having just turned in the first two episode scripts to HBO. Looking forward to what's next obviously, but yeah, also definitely not in a rush for it

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Von Pluring posted:

Holy poo poo, the bit with the biker dude getting knifed in the neck and complaining about her putting something in his eye was hilarious and really disturbing. What a show!

I was half gasping / half laughing / half cringing that entire bit. It was incredible. I bet there's a take where he pulls the knife out and blood sprays everywhere like an Evil Dead gag

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Von Pluring posted:

Love how he just became completely distracted once it happened and didn’t even consider keeping an eye (no pun intended) on Sally

Also Bunny being a S.E.R.E. guy made that interrogation with Gene about 20 times more intense than it would have been otherwise

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Been rewatching the show from the beginning for the first time and one funny bit I caught is how Fuches is so disbelieving of Jim Moss's story about talking his vietnamese captor into suicide when Fuches basically did that same thing by accident to the Chechen assassin in season 1.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I really loved back when Fuches was being interrogated in either S1 or 2, can't remember, and he goes on and on about how they won't be getting DNA off of him, he's too smart for it, blah blah blah.

And then he drinks out of a coke can, and another officer comes by and picks it up, while wearing gloves, and takes it away to obviously be tested for DNA. Meanwhile, Fuches is still talking about keeping his DNA to himself.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Been rewatching the show from the beginning for the first time and one funny bit I caught is how Fuches is so disbelieving of Jim Moss's story about talking his vietnamese captor into suicide when Fuches basically did that same thing by accident to the Chechen assassin in season 1.

I liked it because Fuches completely lucked out. Stovka was already suicidal, the writing was on the wall. If anything, Fuches' fast-talking was trying to persuade him to leave and start a new life. Then Stovka suicides and Fuches starts rewriting the encounter as psychological murder so he sounds like a badass. That's in S1.

Then in S3 he meets someone else who claims to have convinced an interrogator to kill themselves, but we know from how effective Moss has been so far that he is probably telling the truth. And it really highlights how fast Fuches falls apart when he's dealing with Real Badasses, and how out of his league he is. Just a sad little man, incapable of anything but grift, whose only accomplishment is psychologically dominating a vulnerable child with PTSD.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DaveKap posted:

...except for some reason that final scene, literally the last shot and only the last shot, which was very well framed and interesting, just felt like the season ending on an incredibly dull whimper. I have no idea why. I really cannot explain it. I do love that, in a way, it feels a bit... experimental? Different? Not normal? But it also just kinda felt like the season ending on a "well, that's all we filmed, sorry, bye!" I really seriously do not know how else to put it.

I think it's just a mirror of the resolution for the dad and anyone else alive with someone Barry killed. They caught Barry, everyone left, and he's just left there with his empty life. Justice didn't really make anything better for him, doesn't bring her back, no more voice of god to dole out, just that arrest is over and life goes on. No cathartic feeling of resolution, even though you might expect getting this justice to bring some solace, it just doesn't.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I am currently watching the finale and holy loving moly

Edit: what the poo poo drat... cow. gently caress. Holy cow, I mean. Jesus.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 13, 2022

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Ah gently caress. I knew I knew that actor from something else!

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Chris James 2 posted:

Not saying anything new but the season finale was horrifying at numerous times and could have easily served as a series finale. Whatever Hader has in mind for the future, as long as he keeps directing it I'm in

Bill Hader will be directing every episode of S4

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I really like how the episode shows us the actions Gene and Sally take that land them on the purgatory beach where Barry sees them in the opening. I like how little they had to do with it to convey the idea.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Khanstant posted:

I think it's just a mirror of the resolution for the dad and anyone else alive with someone Barry killed. They caught Barry, everyone left, and he's just left there with his empty life. Justice didn't really make anything better for him, doesn't bring her back, no more voice of god to dole out, just that arrest is over and life goes on. No cathartic feeling of resolution, even though you might expect getting this justice to bring some solace, it just doesn't.

I thought for sure it was going to end with him killing himself as the last scene for all the reasons you mentioned. Was surprised it didn't bit honestly I think this ending is better. We get to see what happens after when all the tension and the stress is gone, that once the circus that was Barry's arrest is over he's just left with silence and a feeling of "What now?"

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

The tiger scene was scarier than most horror movies

It was loving incredible.

It was so good, that I thought it absolutely had to be an elaborate torture for Hank to scare the poo poo out of him. It was so incredibly realistic. That blood creeping in and then barely showing it.

I’m not an anxious person, and generally I’m too absorbed in framing and lighting and blocking and such to feel too much of the story, but this episode had me anxious as hell the entire 30 minutes. The only other show able to do that to me was better call saul/breaking bad, and never for that amount of time.

They even snuck jokes in (the whole thing about the dude cocking his gun then taking in the sights, crazy naked buff dude) and it didn’t throw off any of the tension. Not a since frame, shot, or second was wasted.

I wonder if they had his friends make the sound booth strictly to shoot that scene. It was so perfect.

The bait of sally being the one that broke in, then the horror-esque shot of the biker appearing menacingly was great. I also though they were genuinely going to kill her with how long that went on.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

...except for some reason that final scene, literally the last shot and only the last shot, which was very well framed and interesting, just felt like the season ending on an incredibly dull whimper. I have no idea why. I really cannot explain it. I do love that, in a way, it feels a bit... experimental? Different? Not normal? But it also just kinda felt like the season ending on a "well, that's all we filmed, sorry, bye!" I really seriously do not know how else to put it.

I think it's because seasons 3 and 4 were written together, so this feels less like a season finale and more of a halfway point in a single season 3-4 narrative blob.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Takes No Damage posted:

I think it's because seasons 3 and 4 were written together, so this feels less like a season finale and more of a halfway point in a single season 3-4 narrative blob.

in those interviews from last night Hader was talking about how he had just shown HBO the scripts for episodes 1 and 2 of the next season, it didn't sound like they were written together.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Before anyone else tries to be a speculative lawyer and logic their way around whether Barry goes to prison or not, remember that we're watching Barry, a show where the only reason Barry hasn't been caught until now is because of incompetency, willful ignorance, and dumb luck. Logic and law don't play into this alternate universe unless they play for the viewer's entertainment and at this point, there's barely any of it in this show so I wouldn't expect much of any in the future either.

Khanstant posted:

Nailed it. I think this may even have been on my mind while watching the scene but couldn't quite grasp at it and hold it long enough to bring it to the thread.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Whether Barry goes to prison is an open question because of how incompetent the police are. Hell, I remember a line last episode where Jim Moss comes to the cops and says "Barry Berkman did this" and the chief of police retorts back "I don't care how many people tell us Barry did it. We know its not him."

Since Albert seems to be the only competant cop in this show it will be interesting to see how he fits into the next season.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
On the one hand Barry is stupid, on the other so is everyone else and literally every aspect of the case around him is compromised in some fashion. They could go wherever they want with the story. He could end up in jail for life, or he could get like 2 years served and it's an interesting note in his bio, like Danny Trejo.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Someone over in the Couch thread mentioned that Sally's actually on her way to Joplin to murder her ex. Did anybody here suggest that yet? I feel like that was my first time reading that and yet I hadn't considered it at all.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

DaveKap posted:

Someone over in the Couch thread mentioned that Sally's actually on her way to Joplin to murder her ex. Did anybody here suggest that yet? I feel like that was my first time reading that and yet I hadn't considered it at all.

Yeah I saw that and thought it was bizarre. It doesn't seem to track with anything. She hasn't even really mentioned her ex this season, other than in the context of being fodder for her TV show.

I assume she's going back to Joplin because she's totally burnt on LA.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

They even snuck jokes in (the whole thing about the dude cocking his gun then taking in the sights, crazy naked buff dude) and it didn’t throw off any of the tension. Not a since frame, shot, or second was wasted.

Everyone keeps saying there's only one real joke in this episode with that gun-cocking line, but I also did a big, horrified guffaw at the dialogue around the botched escape attempt. "How did you get out of your handcuffs?" *Hank is ignored* "Wait, we're still handcuffed!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think in the logic of the show, Barry could get a lawyer that could argue it was entrapment. Jim reached out to Barry and told him to come to his house and talk about Janice. Barry says no, then calls Gene to check on him. Gene puts on a big show (as instructed to by the cops) about how he's going to do something crazy because Jim is going to ruin his life. Barry drives to Gene, what do you know he's outside Jim's house. Barry walks into the house where the police are already set up to capture him. Barry would never have gone there if Jim and the cops hadn't set him up.

What do they have on him? Gene was intimidated into saying Barry killed Janice. They have Fuches who keeps lying and is now embracing the alias they invented for him to say he did it. Albert knows Barry kills but his last interaction makes me believe he doesn't want to turn Barry in, he feels he owes Barry for his life and his kid's life, and he just wants Barry to stop and turn his life around. Then you have the people who were told about Barry by Fuches, but Fuches is already an unreliable source. Everyone in the Bolivian and Chechen gangs are either dead or gone. Sally knows Barry is nuts, but she left, and now has a reason to potentially cover for him.

Maybe it will just be a season of Barry facing the consequences of his actions and he goes to trial, goes to prison, and whatnot. I wouldn't be surprised though if he gets off on a technicality and is back trying to figure out his life again. Hader said in an interview that the show will end when it ends, so it's not like this necessarily has to be the last season coming up. He'll just keep writing Barry into crazy situations and then trying to write him back out.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I think it tracks.

She just proved to herself she could kill someone. She knows she should lie low because she just murdered a dude. But she’s flying to her hometown. After releasing a show critiquing everyone she knows who lives there for letting her deal with abuse.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

grobbo posted:

Everyone keeps saying there's only one real joke in this episode with that gun-cocking line, but I also did a big, horrified guffaw at the dialogue around the botched escape attempt. "How did you get out of your handcuffs?" *Hank is ignored* "Wait, we're still handcuffed!"

I did not read that as a joke. I read that as “I’m still in the handcuffs, I’m not trying to escape don’t kill us.”

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I previously thought she was just fleeing the country, don't think I caught she was going to Joplin, but as a starting for an arc next season, I think her being back there makes all the sense.

If this was Search Party I'd expect Barry to get off, and there are some dark and amusing ways I suppose they could use to dunk on our lovely justice system but with Fuches in jail assuming Raven identity and Barry breaking down, I get the feeling it'll be jail style. I have a hard time imagining an ending where Barry isn't dead or life imprisoned. Even if you had perfect omniscient knowledge like a viewer in that courtroom and you can say "geez fuche's really manipulated the hell out of this broken man who was broken in our broken wars" well like idk maybe that gets you one freebie murder but Barry is doing videogame numbers.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Also note how Janice's portrait is very prominently in the foreground of the house interior, and Jim's lowered gaze (though in the background) is pointed directly at the photo

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i definitely assumed she's flying home because her career was just ruined and she killed a guy and she has family there

grobbo
May 29, 2014

I did not read that as a joke. I read that as “I’m still in the handcuffs, I’m not trying to escape don’t kill us.”

It's definitely that, but I also took it as a very dark joke that they got impatient, gave up on their original plan of getting out of the handcuffs, ignored Hank when he asked them about it, and then instantly got caught when they left the cell. Could be wrong, though.

Maybe it will just be a season of Barry facing the consequences of his actions and he goes to trial, goes to prison, and whatnot. I wouldn't be surprised though if he gets off on a technicality and is back trying to figure out his life again.

Yeah, I do think that a show this restless, and this cynical about the justice system, isn't going to stick around in prison for 8 eps where only Fuches can interact with the lead character, no matter how much it stretches plausibility to have him wriggle out in some form (especially as Bojack Horseman already mined the idea of its lead finding fulfilment by acting in prison plays.) But wherever they go, I'm on board with it.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

grobbo posted:

Horrified guffaw was my reaction to the dude wondering if she put something in his eye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Squiggly posted:

Horrified guffaw was my reaction to the dude wondering if she put something in his eye

Oh yeah, that one was super dark, on par with Goran unconsciously twitching and swinging his gun around after getting shot in the head