Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

CPL593H posted:

If you adjust for inflation that's about 25 bucks. Dandy in the Underworld was probably too new it include in the book. I'd still love to pay some of those other prices even when adjusted for inflation.
I think I paid about twenty bucks for my copy of The Slider back in like '07, so that tracks.

quote:

Keep in mind that most of those debuted in 77 or 78.
Yeah, it's probably just a matter of being compiled by different researchers over a period of a few years - there are some early 1978 releases listed (Elvis Costello's This Year's Model, Kraftwerk's The Man-Machine, Patti Smith's Easter) as well as some major 1977 releases missing.

Moe_Rahn fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

I normally don’t post this stuff here, but why not. Last week I closed out this big livestream on mixcloud with some ultra rare gospel disco.

The group was kind enough to post my mix:

https://www.mixcloud.com/RhythmSoulFunk/rsf-97-james-scott/

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Download codes up for grabs. I don’t think I’ve used any of them, they’ve been sitting on my dresser. Have fun

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I got an email letting me know this will be available in August:

Blondie's first six albums plus a bunch of extra tracks and some booklets. It will be on black vinyl ($300), red vinyl ($330), & CD ($100). The bonus stuff will be available by itself on vinyl ($100) or CD ($35).

I love the first four albums. Autoamerican is okay and The Hunter is not so good.

Soooooo tempting.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

That Khun Narin album loving rips.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Yeah it rules. A friend made off with my lp but that’s what happens when you lend things to people

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I think I bought it on this threads recommendation actually now that I think about it

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

I got an email letting me know this will be available in August:

Blondie's first six albums plus a bunch of extra tracks and some booklets. It will be on black vinyl ($300), red vinyl ($330), & CD ($100). The bonus stuff will be available by itself on vinyl ($100) or CD ($35).

I love the first four albums. Autoamerican is okay and The Hunter is not so good.

Soooooo tempting.

I need another uDiscover glitch sale.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Megabound posted:

I've also got a couple of online orders on the way but am trying to limit myself to albums I know I love front to back and will get regular listens.

That's what I said in the beginning and now I own every Mac DeMarco album and its respective demos on vinyl.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Thank you to extremely good dude Strap on Revenge for the gift of a bunch of great records

Gotta get a console now to set everything up on instead of the floor of the study.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Ahahahah Funko Pop owns Mondo now ahhahahahahhahah

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Looking forward to the mondo releases I do have jumping in value because the quality dips to funko levels in the future.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
incredibles_meme_vinyl_is_vinyl.jpg

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Hah! One step closer to the dream of squishing the pop figures in a record press!

Real talk, aren't the pop line of figures getting played out and funko is scrambling to find the next big thing to keep the money train going? It makes sense to buy into records when you already got a source for vinyl plastic.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Honestly surprised it’s taken IKEA this long to put out a turntable.

https://twitter.com/thevinylfactory/status/1536364662421442564?s=21

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

As promised:

This one is a gatefold with, oddly enough, nothing printed on the back. Here is the inside though. Imagine using this for cleaning your pot. I think it may grant you a superpower.

And though a little rodent-chewed, here is another, still including the business card of the local rep. They are still in business and I'm sure have expanded their services. But I don't know. I met one of their regular servicemen once and he was very much a Larry the Cable Installer guy.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Boy would I love to see a $5 copy of Electric Warrior. Odd that it doesn't list Dandy In the Underworld, which came out in 1977.

I got mine for a pretty drat low price, even for 2015. OG 1971 pressing, in decent shape. https://www.discogs.com/release/707948-T-Rex-Electric-Warrior

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

caligulamprey posted:

Speaking of, just got an email from Mondo about my order of The Queen's Gambit soundtrack, which I guess finally shipped, and the email says:

"One of the reasons this project has been delayed is the incredible non-traditional packaging that the records are housed in. Alan Hynes’s design is stunning in person, and we can’t wait for you to hold it in your hands.

One thing to note when you open the record: the shrink-wrap seal is on one of the angled corners, so be extra careful when you open it so as not to rip it!"

Not sure I'm excited about "non-traditional packaging" -- hope it fits on my decidedly traditional shelves with all my traditionally packaged records. I just want to listen to it, not be stunned by packaging I have to worry about ripping.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

I feel like some kind of prophecy has been fulfilled.

Barry posted:

I got mine for a pretty drat low price, even for 2015. OG 1971 pressing, in decent shape. https://www.discogs.com/release/707948-T-Rex-Electric-Warrior

Back in the early-mid 2000s Rhino did a bunch of all analog remasters of poo poo and this was one of them. It was one of the first records I bought. Not only did their remasters sound great they all cost 18-20 bucks.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

I feel like some kind of prophecy has been fulfilled.

Back in the early-mid 2000s Rhino did a bunch of all analog remasters of poo poo and this was one of them. It was one of the first records I bought. Not only did their remasters sound great they all cost 18-20 bucks.

Before anyone gets too excited about this, in 2008 I bought a Stephen Malkmus double LP from Best Buy for $13.99, a new Cat Power LP from a Madison record shop for $10.99, and in 2007 (2006?) I way overpaid for a limited box set of AFI's December Underground in 7" format at Hot Topic—an extremely mid-2000s sentence—for $24.99 $25.99! $12.98 i reed gud

Point is $20 was a hefty chunk of change back then in the land of vinyls

Edit: The prices must be accurately recorded

pwn fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 15, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

pwn posted:

I way overpaid for a limited box set of AFI's December Underground in 7" format at Hot Topic—an extremely mid-2000s sentence—for $24.99

I paid 25 in UK quids so even more, but it sells for a fairly silly amount these days so eh.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

SwimNurd posted:

I normally don’t post this stuff here, but why not. Last week I closed out this big livestream on mixcloud with some ultra rare gospel disco.

The group was kind enough to post my mix:

https://www.mixcloud.com/RhythmSoulFunk/rsf-97-james-scott/

Great mix. Appropriately, I listened to it at work on Sunday.

Then after work I went on over to your store and grabbed a bunch of stuff. Here are the 45's I snagged.

Megabound posted:

Thank you to extremely good dude Strap on Revenge for the gift of a bunch of great records

Gotta get a console now to set everything up on instead of the floor of the study.

I love that turntable.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

pwn posted:

Before anyone gets too excited about this, in 2008 I bought a Stephen Malkmus double LP from Best Buy for $13.99, a new Cat Power LP from a Madison record shop for $10.99, and in 2007 (2006?) I way overpaid for a limited box set of AFI's December Underground in 7" format at Hot Topic—an extremely mid-2000s sentence—for $24.99

Point is $20 was a hefty chunk of change back then in the land of vinyls

True, most new LPs I was buying in those days were cheaper than that. But in terms of stuff like those analog remasters you were getting a high quality product for not too much money. Now big label reissues are half assed garbage that are poorly pressed and will cost you at least double that. I can't for the life of my understand why they stopped using the lacquers from that bunch of reissues. Especially the Black Sabbath ones which now sell for high premiums. They're very good.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

sporklift posted:

Great mix. Appropriately, I listened to it at work on Sunday.

Then after work I went on over to your store and grabbed a bunch of stuff. Here are the 45's I snagged.
:words:

Thank you! You snagged some great 45s thanks for rolling though.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Megabound posted:

:tipshat:

I'm still looking for the perfect shelf myself. this one is pretty good but I'd love one that has dividers and feet

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I'm kind of bummed that the blonde in Wet Leg started showing her face in the videos because they were really loving meticulous about it for awhile and it made me laugh every time.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I ordered from a seller on Discogs. Almost immediately I got a tracking number, but I also got a message saying that the shipping label was canceled, and nothing since. Last night I decided to finally message the seller asking about it. I woke up this morning initially to a somewhat snarky message from him saying that he shipped it with the other order I placed. Then he sent another message saying it was delivered on the 9th. Then finally he apologized, having realized he sent the record to the wrong buyer, and asked if I wanted a refund, or he could reach out to the buyer and ask them to send it back, and he would then send it on to me. I just requested the refund.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 14, 2022

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

drat that’s one of my worst fears as a seller. If I get two orders at the same time then I am SUPER aware of what I’m packing and like keep one order in a whole other room from the other. My brain would get it confused if I didn’t become hyper aware of what I’m doing.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

dorium posted:

drat that’s one of my worst fears as a seller. If I get two orders at the same time then I am SUPER aware of what I’m packing and like keep one order in a whole other room from the other. My brain would get it confused if I didn’t become hyper aware of what I’m doing.

What brought you to sell on discogs? Do you run a record store? Looking to get rid of records you don't want? For me, I only started collecting records during the pandemic (although my first vinyl purchase was Sufjan's Illinois 10 year anniversary years before I even got a record player), and so far 95% of my collection is very intentional, so I can't imagine wanting to sell any part of it. So far.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Believe me, no matter how intentional you are and thinking that you'll only buy things that you'll adore until the end of time, after a while that won't be 100% true. I've yet to sell things on discogs because my laziness inevitably wins out over my desire to clean out stock and/or make a few bucks, but I have records I don't really ever see myself spinning again. Or so infrequently that I don't feel the need to have the physical album and streaming is enough.

e: Or there's albums that are worth just WAYYY more than you value it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nihonniboku posted:

What brought you to sell on discogs? Do you run a record store? Looking to get rid of records you don't want? For me, I only started collecting records during the pandemic (although my first vinyl purchase was Sufjan's Illinois 10 year anniversary years before I even got a record player), and so far 95% of my collection is very intentional, so I can't imagine wanting to sell any part of it. So far.

Could you imagine having more records and not wanting some of them?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Nihonniboku posted:

like the other two posters said, sometimes you just have stuff you dont spin that often or fell out of favor (or became so incredibly rare and sought after I could rebuild my setup just off the one sale, thanks Frank Ocean 'blond'). If I'm not enjoying it or just dont want it anymore someone out there must want it. I've been collecting since high school (so nearly 20 years) I have stuff that maybe I enjoyed back then that just doesnt hold up for me now.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I got in too deep with the honeymoon period of collecting and only just recently came to accept that I don't need all of an artist's output all the time. Been going through my collection again, this has got to be like the 5th time at minimum. Trying to work up the nerve to get rid of the casettes as it's not really a format I want to return to.

Edit: And yes things fall out of favor over time. As I keep practicing an instrument I notice my tastes have changed as I learn more about music as a whole. I'm super lazy and just resell my excess at the local record shop though.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 14, 2022

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Turbinosamente posted:

I got in too deep with the honeymoon period of collecting and only just recently came to accept that I don't need all of an artist's output all the time. Been going through my collection again, this has got to be like the 5th time at minimum.

Yeah, I've stopped preordering albums I haven't heard yet. I thought that the new St Vincent would be a sure bet given how good her output has been so far, and found it thoroughly underwhelming. The new Perfume Genius comes out this month I think, but I'll hold off until I actually hear it.

Turbinosamente posted:

Trying to work up the nerve to get rid of the casettes as it's not really a format I want to return to.

My dad sold all of his vinyls at a garage sale in the 80s for cheap thinking that cassettes were going to be it. He regrets doing that, and has slowly been working on rebuilding his collection from when he was young.

I sold all of my CDs about a decade ago when Amazon made it super easy to do so without your own storefront, and while I don't really regret it, having physical copies is a good reminder of albums I once loved. I don't even use my iTunes library anymore. In the age of streaming, if I'm not actively thinking about an album, it's essentially gone.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, I've stopped preordering albums I haven't heard yet. I thought that the new St Vincent would be a sure bet given how good her output has been so far, and found it thoroughly underwhelming. The new Perfume Genius comes out this month I think, but I'll hold off until I actually hear it.

My dad sold all of his vinyls at a garage sale in the 80s for cheap thinking that cassettes were going to be it. He regrets doing that, and has slowly been working on rebuilding his collection from when he was young.

I sold all of my CDs about a decade ago when Amazon made it super easy to do so without your own storefront, and while I don't really regret it, having physical copies is a good reminder of albums I once loved. I don't even use my iTunes library anymore. In the age of streaming, if I'm not actively thinking about an album, it's essentially gone.

Thus far I have yet to regret selling anything, but most of what's going isn't my left over childhood media, it's the stuff I've added as an adult. Plus, I was like 12 in the age of Limewire, Kazaa, and Napster and still have pirated mp3s of meme songs and poo poo I liked from AMVs as that was the height of my weeb phase as well. I've tried going back and getting the full albums the internet songs were from, but nine times out of ten I wind up not liking the rest of the album and sell it off.

I'm with you on not preordering poo poo I haven't heard, I've been burned on that too. Sometime even if I have heard a brief snippet beforehand. As an end result of all this introspection I can tell you that if I had to replace the entire collection the first two albums would be Motorhead- Overkill and Wings- Back to the Egg. After that it gets muddled as to what my absolute favorites are.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I'm not very materialistic, but my records are something I do feel an attachment to. I've given away a few over the years, but I've never sold any of them. Even records I have I don't listen to anymore I wouldn't want to part with because they mean something to me or remind me of something :unsmith: I'd probably end of getting rid of all my records rather than pare it down if it ever came to it.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

dorium posted:

(or became so incredibly rare and sought after I could rebuild my setup just off the one sale, thanks Frank Ocean 'blond')

This might actually be my white whale but I sure as poo poo ain't paying $600+ for it (or any album for that matter) or buying some jankass bootleg

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I'm liking the Discogs.com release page redesign. The filters actually work, unlike the "find your version" page that was so slow it was useless.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 14, 2022

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

dorium posted:

Yeah :same:, I have nightmares about this too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

wa27 posted:

I'm liking the Discogs.com release page redesign. The filters actually work, unlike the "find your version" page that was so slow it was useless.

I hate it, it takes up wayyyy to much page space and it really slows down looking up a particular release