Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
the worst religion is science because they keep changing all their ideas and they have the nerve to say this is a good thing

hurrr durrr we keep guessing wrong we're real smart. gently caress OFF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Regarde Aduck posted:

the worst religion is science because they keep changing all their ideas and they have the nerve to say this is a good thing

hurrr durrr we keep guessing wrong we're real smart. gently caress OFF.

Actual argument I once heard from my friend's very religious ex wife, right before she turned hardcore anti-vaxxer and lost her poo poo at him for believing covid is real.

Bargearse has a new favorite as of 04:58 on Jun 13, 2022

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

oldpainless posted:

good religion...Mormon

:raise:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

after being dragged everywhere andrew finally made an "apology"

https://twitter.com/nickschadegg/status/1536212352839741440

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
As a gay,

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Coolness Averted posted:

this is why the wrestling subforum has a 'no horny' rule here

I can't wait for the segment on Dynamite where Chris Jericho and Eddie Kingston respectfully sit down and solve their differences with constructive dialogue and understanding. Much better than Anarchy in the Arena, violence is just not a healthy way to resolve conflict

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Serperoth posted:

I can't wait for the segment on Dynamite where Chris Jericho and Eddie Kingston respectfully sit down and solve their differences with constructive dialogue and understanding. Much better than Anarchy in the Arena, violence is just not a healthy way to resolve conflict

Unironically want a wrestling Steven Universe arc where the fights devolve into therapy sessions and they all become friends, and fight Vince McMahon together as a final boss.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
C'mon down to Red Lobster for our sexy little Cheddar Bay Biscuit Butts.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

C'mon down to Red Lobster for our sexy little Cheddar Bay Biscuit Butts.

they're bliss!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BioEnchanted posted:

Unironically want a wrestling Steven Universe arc where the fights devolve into therapy sessions and they all become friends, and fight Vince McMahon together as a final boss.

And we come back around to anime.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
In his defense I think Natalya called her biscuit butt. In his not defense, Natalya is also incredibly horny and not allowed to post in the wrestling subforum.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CarlaHSands/status/1535091239246340104

This is the former US ambassador to Denmark.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Why do these morons always blame the present (if D) for gas price hikes and not like...the gas companies? Do they think the governments own the gas companies?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Gas companies are Job Creators, Peace Be Upon Them, and will suffer no slander

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bismuth posted:

Why do these morons always blame the present (if D) for gas price hikes and not like...the gas companies? Do they think the governments own the gas companies?
It's that or admit it's the other way around

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BioEnchanted posted:

Are you 4 years old

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

It's not the future I want... it's the present I'm living, and it owns.

Also I could probably afford a car, but why would I want one when I can bike in the fresh air instead?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

steinrokkan posted:

Are you 4 years old

I think everyone in their right mind wants to see Vince McMahon beaten up.

Also, there appears to be some Americans who seem to approach the idea of cycling like Islam's approach on alcohol. What the hell.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

imagine not having to spend all that money buying a car to get anywhere

i could buy so many avocado toasts with that money

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
https://twitter.com/samatlounge/status/1536223438825787392?s=20&t=5STwO8-pFUZ-wB0QCQITOQ
Finally someone is standing up for white male writers. I had forgotten the new laws forbid people from reading James Joyce.

Worth a click to skim the other quotes.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Not buying a car translates easily into 4000 to 6000 Wendy’s 4 for $4 meals, and that’s a lot.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

I read a James Patterson book once. It was dogshit. Going to go ahead and say he should thank his lucky stars that he's a white man.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

steinrokkan posted:

Are you 4 years old

One of the biggest wrestling story arcs in 2021 involved a wrestling cult teaching an anxious millenial cowboy the power of friendship and believing in yourself, so it's not that silly a pitch

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

PurpleXVI posted:

It's not the future I want... it's the present I'm living, and it owns.

Also I could probably afford a car, but why would I want one when I can bike in the fresh air instead?

Yeah, same.

I can go just everywhere I need to go, on my bike or via public transit. In those cases where I need a car, I'll rent one (per-hour rental/carshare services are great!). My girlfriend and I could easily afford to buy a car, we just don't want or need to.

But not everyone is lucky enough to be able to avoid owning a car, because they live outside of the larger cities, and the places they need to go are too far apart to bike.

100% of middle class Danes can absolutely afford at least one car, though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bismuth posted:

There's glib one-liners to be made here and earnest videos explaining how gas prices work which can be sent around and all, but I tend to think this is kind of the logical result of decades of history teaching turning into memes and sound bites.

There was once a time when you could read a history book and it would say things like "FDR's New Deal policies led to an unprecedented government reinvestment in the American economy and a tremendous decrease in unemployment" or "the 1973 oil embargo caused such a fuel shortage that American automakers overnight redesigned their entire product lines to be more fuel efficient" and these events just sound so far-reaching, so upsetting to the daily normal order of life, that you as a kid come away from it with the impression that world events that affect you personally are in the hands of the guy at the big desk. Then, in a time when even the biggest of big deals (covid, 9/11) really don't make that much of an impact on your day-to-day, naturally you want to imagine they do anyway because you're in the mindset that what's happening today is every bit as important as some stuff in a book from decades ago. But that book history all reads like a narrative, with X person to blame for Y and policy A responsible for causing effect B, so you want to be able to say the same thing about whatever looks momentous in our own little provincial world of meme tweets and MCU movies.

Q people all talk like every event is a piece of the narrative puzzle and they write these long posts full of strung-together meaningless pseudo-militaristic phrases like "lock and load, hold the line, trust the plan, say the quiet part loud" because that's how their brains are wired to work from a lifetime of treating the news like a narrative, with good guys and bad guys, people pushing buttons and making LOUD ANGRY HEADLINE, FOX NEWS ALERT happen. Honestly it's incredible in the face of that pressure that someone could believe the president and his lever is NOT the sole factor in how much number goes up when they fill up their car.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I can see why she's the former U.S. ambassador to Denmark.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

KozmoNaut posted:

100% of middle class Danes can absolutely afford at least one car, though.
They could also afford to spend thousands a year on funko pops or nfts but you don't see anyone* telling them to do that.

*well, anyone worth listening to.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also no one is biking an hour "in the snow" to get to the middle of Copenhagen, even in the dead of winter.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I read james joyce and he definitely should be read.

Never read his books but you should absolutely read his letters to his wife, I see why he is so highly regarded.

Maybe if james patterson wrote that well he would get more work, just saying.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Yes. Yes it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhx-26GfCBU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/_dmoser/status/1536002814425677825

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I live in southern Finland and these days it often sucks to ride in the winter because we rarely get a proper winter so it's mainly just wet and slushy. Up north like in that video it's actually nicer because they have proper hard snow.

But even here you have lots of winter bikers even if I don't do it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
In Sweden, and same. If you've got winter tyres it's not all that difficult to ride a bike in winter, it just takes longer.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

"Chopper Bob" is a sick-rear end nickname.

Bismuth posted:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Green Lantern Theory of the Presidency, explained

This really gets a lot right about how people view the presidency.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ultrafilter posted:

The Green Lantern Theory of the Presidency, explained

This really gets a lot right about how people view the presidency.

The problem, of course, is that the entire superstructure is rotten and produces only poo poo outcomes. So why believe in the structure at all?

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
I've always supported getting rid of the "old white men" and "classics" of literature when teaching because many were provably bad people we could replace or cut from the curriculum, not to mention the many required reading texts of a middle age man afraid of being cuckolded. Many classics are great, but a lot of the ones being read in schools are not aimed at kids, have antiquated ideas, and won't disappear if the student doesn't read it now.

But no, there is simply no dystopian novels aimed at kids, we MUST use 1984 and we MUST awkwardly shuffle through Winston fantasizing about sexually assaulting and murdering a colleague

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ironically it's Twain who people bitch about the most

I didn't have to read 1984, but I had to read Hawthorne and Melville and Twain and they are all great and should continue to be taught forever

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

hawowanlawow posted:

ironically it's Twain who people bitch about the most

I didn't have to read 1984, but I had to read Hawthorne and Melville and Twain and they are all great and should continue to be taught forever

*Shapiro's in* BRETT HAWTHORNE

A BEAR OF A MAN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Here's how a book becomes a classic:

1. Someone -- usually a white man in academia -- writes an article about why he likes it
2. A bunch of people go "yeah, sure, let's go with that"