Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Rarity posted:

Russo's not responisible for the last 20 years of WWE shite

I mean even the most gifted writer on the planet isn't gonna succeed when Vince steps in, rips up the script, and rewrites it himself 30 seconds before Raw goes live every single week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Drakkel posted:

I mean even the most gifted writer on the planet isn't gonna succeed when Vince steps in, rips up the script, and rewrites it himself 30 seconds before Raw goes live every single week

Ok, now what about all of the wrestlers who have said how much they hate the system and how dealing with no writers is so much easier and less stressful than dealing with writers.

Part of the reason AEW exists is so many fans and wrestlers were turned off of this system.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Thanks for reminding me that I have popcorn. Gonna have some tonight

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
AEW needs writers so every storyline can be about intergenerational trauma

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

SG Bamboo posted:

Eight out of ten mall goths only know Bret Hart from his Simpsons episode

Lid posted:

But what is WWE style

Dorks Entertainment

JUNGLE BOY posted:

The modern day equivalent of hiring comedians like Patrice O’Neale to script promos like this:

https://youtu.be/CmkJJEWQ6Vc

Would be hiring Nick Mullen to write scripts where wrestlers randomly start doing Nigerian accents, which is what WWE is already doing. So what I’m saying is I’ve been persuaded

Locking Dam Blocker Dunn out of the production truck, dubbing Stavros' laugh over every Cole fake laugh.

FullMetalJackoff fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 12, 2022

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

pro wrestling doesnt need writers

it needs dungeon masters who can tie everyone's backstory and character goals into cohesive plotline

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Go RV! posted:

it needs dungeon masters who can tie everyone's backstory and character goals into cohesive plotline

and his name is Tommy End

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Cavauro posted:

my popcorn bag turned upside down while i was trying to think up and talk about my opinion on wrestling writers. and i think that says it all

remember when rush limbaugh was on espn to do football

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I mean it’s honestly hard to say if writers could be used well in wrestling because there are only so many examples and they are A) a promotion that tried a cinematic model that nobody else has adopted full time, B) a crazy old man using a writers room to exert control over his employees/contractors, and C) Vince Russo.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
imo the crux of the argument is that the stuff that you'd want writers for are things that already exist in the promotions (bookers, coaches, etc) and everything else a writer would do is the sort of thing people've already gone over as not working

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

flatluigi posted:

imo the crux of the argument is that the stuff that you'd want writers for are things that already exist in the promotions (bookers, coaches, etc) and everything else a writer would do is the sort of thing people've already gone over as not working

I used to think writers were a good idea but I've more come around to this and the idea that wrestlers need to be good writers. Should they go learn from a writer? Yeah, might help. But at the end of the day it needs to come from them.

Or think of it this way, Sports Entertainment is pop music using writers and Wrestling is song writers performing their own music.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

graph posted:

remember when rush limbaugh was on espn to do football

there's a good movie about rush limbaugh that i think you should watch. it's called Clash in the College

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
A David Lynch and Mark Frost year of AEW Dark

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Malcolm Excellent posted:

A David Lynch and Mark Frost year of AEW Dark

That would be one way to get me to actually watch it

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Go RV! posted:

That is the best analogy for it I've heard.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Go RV! posted:

Wasn't that basically Chris Kreski's job in 1998? That seemed to work pretty well for them!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Drakkel posted:

Wasn't that basically Chris Kreski's job in 1998? That seemed to work pretty well for them!

i sure hope it wasn't his job in 1998, 1998 was a nightmare of swerves and Cahoots

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

As far as I remember Kreski didn't take over until Russo left in late 99

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Drakkel posted:

What wrestling companies besides WWE and maybe Lucha Underground have even had professional writers? Because every other example I can think of that had a "writer" that writer was literally Vince Russo.

The Kikuchi guy at the centre of the whole Ibushi saga was a former TV writer for TV Asahi

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Drakkel posted:

The last man who tried to impose logic and continuity on WWE programming soon after died of brain cancer. Coincidence?

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Sex Farm posted:

Wrestlers shouldnt have any creative support, sink or swim bitches

Isn't this what a booker, and agents/coaches, or just locker room veterans are for?

EDIT: loving read the entire rest of the unread posts before replying to something ElGen, god

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Cavauro posted:

there's a good movie about rush limbaugh that i think you should watch. it's called Clash in the College

papyrus :\

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Cavauro posted:

Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/tattoocodyr/status/1536027619761836034
https://twitter.com/tattoocodyr/status/1536141333559123974
https://twitter.com/tattoocodyr/status/1536143284992716802

amazing

e: an extra one that the above Cody stan retweeted:

https://twitter.com/nwa/status/1536116015028965377
https://twitter.com/AndrewDMcKinney/status/1536119132487307265

Venomous fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 13, 2022

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

He could have just said "I only had four poll options" and not showed his rear end to the entire world.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

"I hate it when wrestlers have gimmicks"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Mox is a good shout for WOTY actually

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Rarity posted:

yeah, I think so too, especially if he beats Tanahashi for the belt

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Mox/Hangman/Okada, between these three at the moment I reckon

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Rarity posted:

Mox wouldn't even be in with a shout if it weren't for Switchblade creating AEW

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SG Bamboo posted:

Mox wouldn't even be in with a shout if it weren't for Switchblade creating AEW

:hmmyes:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rarity posted:

Yeah, he's not mine, but if you only watch AEW he's got a pretty strong case. Only wrestlers I'd have above him based on the first 5 months is Danielson & Dax

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Mox/Okada/Lindaman/ZSJ/Kento/Syuri/DOUKI

Those are the frontrunners

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

"stole the show" is a weird criteria to use if arguing for the primacy of a guy who is only ever the feature performer of main events...

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Mox/Okada/Lindaman/ZSJ/Kento/Syuri/DOUKI

Those are the frontrunners

Kento, Lindaman, Go, Nakajima (both Arisa & Katsuhiko), Fujimoto, Okada would be mine. Oh and Yuma Aoyagi.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CommonShore posted:

"stole the show" is a weird criteria to use if arguing for the primacy of a guy who is only ever the feature performer of main events...

Want to know which shows Roman stole

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Endless Mike posted:

Want to know which shows Roman stole

Struggling to think of any outside of the Shield vs Wyatt Family six mans. Roman looked fantastic in the Elimination Chamber 2014 one as the last man fighting desperately but eventually getting overrun by the numbers. Any other notable good matches have been main events and a main event can't steal the show since it's the big selling point.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

forkboy84 posted:

Oh and Yuma Aoyagi.

Yeah, definitely in with a shout. Kento is by far the star of All Japan but Yuma has been having a monster year

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

Thread sleeping on the hoodfoot smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Imagine having a wrestler of the year list without taichi