Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

The RG552 is just shy of being able to run gamecube correctly.
I tried Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, and although the game itself is fine due to the pacing and nature of it, the music and sound were choppy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Dipping itt for a sec to ask, with the RPT2+ (or any other system) can 2 folks play the same game together, in multiplayer in a way that is similar to Switch Online? If each person has their own unit, I mean

I know it uses RetroArch and can do local multi etc but I'm not very computery. But These handhelds seem actually awesome now especially the ones with thousands of free roms. :hchatter:

The dream is to lie in bed and play alien/demon's crush as though I were on Switch, across the house, and have it perform well. I don't actually know if those games have 2 player taking turns, but this is the world I wish to live in. Bless u

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey so I am having an issue with retroarch's PS1 emulator not scanning the .chd files I have. I pointed the emulator to the directory and made sure the files were there, but retroarch just doesn't seem to scan it, any ideas?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Madmarker posted:

Hey so I am having an issue with retroarch's PS1 emulator not scanning the .chd files I have. I pointed the emulator to the directory and made sure the files were there, but retroarch just doesn't seem to scan it, any ideas?

Had a similar issue with a gba file - scanning the folder didn’t help, I had to use the “scan file” option, it only showed up then.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Dipping itt for a sec to ask, with the RPT2+ (or any other system) can 2 folks play the same game together, in multiplayer in a way that is similar to Switch Online? If each person has their own unit, I mean

I know it uses RetroArch and can do local multi etc but I'm not very computery. But These handhelds seem actually awesome now especially the ones with thousands of free roms. :hchatter:
Not just local multi, any two devices running the same version of retroarch, using the same core, and the same game, can netplay over the internet. It's not as easy as Switch Online, of course.

https://retrogamecorps.com/2021/01/12/guide-retroarch-netplay-on-handheld-devices/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_uFdMXc5tk

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

the latest update from Ayn/Odin team is embarrassing and I already fired off a cancellation request.

tl;dr how do you have so many outstanding orders and not have screens on order??

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ETA Prime got a laptop with the Intel 1215U that's gonna be in the Aya Neo Air, it's probably not going to be good for general PC gaming but it looks like it's gonna be an emulation monster. Even managing to get some PS3 games running at 60fps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg9WYqrUxA8

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Photex posted:

the latest update from Ayn/Odin team is embarrassing and I already fired off a cancellation request.

tl;dr how do you have so many outstanding orders and not have screens on order??

They what? Luckily anything AYN related isn't affecting me, but that sounds like a huge fuckup from the outside.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Photex posted:

Makes me glad I did end up getting an RG552 to hold me over. That Odin won't be here for a bit.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Explosionface posted:

They what? Luckily anything AYN related isn't affecting me, but that sounds like a huge fuckup from the outside.

quote:

1. 6-inch screen will run out of stock soon

We ordered 10K pcs 6 inch screens, but the overall defective rate now hits up to 24%, now we have less than 800pcs LCD screen left and Odin will run out of screen after this week.

The new touch screen sample will be qualified by the end of this week, and the turnaround cycle of manufacturing is 25 working days, so we need to wait for 3 weeks after this weekend to start device assembling.

2. Odin Lite ordered before 2021/10/4 will ship before 6/30

All hardware testing and qualification of last Odin Lite hardware revision was finalized today, particularly for 4G antenna and Wi-Fi 6 antenna were double checked and the signal quality seems good enough. 50pcs trial order assembling was delayed to 6/14 since we need wait 4G/Wi-Fi antenna. We will reserve around 300pcs for most early backers who ordered Odin Lite before 2021/10/4, they will get their order shipped before the end of this month.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

ETA Prime got a laptop with the Intel 1215U that's gonna be in the Aya Neo Air, it's probably not going to be good for general PC gaming but it looks like it's gonna be an emulation monster. Even managing to get some PS3 games running at 60fps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg9WYqrUxA8

The battery life is gonna be poop though.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

24% defect rate would get someone fired and their boss shot into the furnace in any other manufacturing industry. Holy hell.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Yeah I have no regrets about canceling my Odin order a while back. Between the miyoo mini and a galaxy tab s8+ I think I have everything I need :) for now…

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

coconono posted:

24% defect rate would get someone fired and their boss shot into the furnace in any other manufacturing industry. Holy hell.

yeah i was told by a friend who has some experience dealing with China/Shenzen mfg's, either they are blowing 24% during assembly or they are buying known defective stock

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Got my refund and ordered a RP2+ from Amazon and it'll be here Friday.....crazy to think that these units were announced around the same time

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Photex posted:

Got my refund and ordered a RP2+ from Amazon and it'll be here Friday.....crazy to think that these units were announced around the same time

A Retroid product being the fast option is hilarious to me considering how they used to be.

Hopefully Ayn will get there some day, but right now... yeesh.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

I kind of hope someone gets their Ayn or Aya and decides they love it more than their Steam Deck and then sells me the Steam Deck :v:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s a drat shame about Ayn’s problems because the Odin really is the best one of these handhelds I’ve used.

The screen is gorgeous and the battery life is next level. Like playing 2 hours of psp barely budged the drat thing and that’s in high performance mode with the fan set to smart.

It’s a great handheld.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Are any of the Odins reasonably capable of playing PS2 games, or is that still mostly just the domain of steam deck?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Are any of the Odins reasonably capable of playing PS2 games, or is that still mostly just the domain of steam deck?

The pro seems capable of playing about 50% or so of the ps2 library.

Thing is though for like $100 more you get the steam deck which does 100% at 2x or higher with no issues.

The $399 steam deck is a steal.

It’s just a much bigger device but so much more powerful.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The problem is if you order a Steam Deck today it's probably not shipping until next March, but then the lead times on any of these powerful devices is gigantic. Honestly with how fast the handheld PC prices in general are coming down it feels like the Odin is already dangerously close to obsolete when for $50 more than the Odin Pro you could preorder the Aya Neo Air which is going to be way more powerful and be able to run some PC games as well.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

njsykora posted:

The problem is if you order a Steam Deck today it's probably not shipping until next March, but then the lead times on any of these powerful devices is gigantic. Honestly with how fast the handheld PC prices in general are coming down it feels like the Odin is already dangerously close to obsolete when for $50 more than the Odin Pro you could preorder the Aya Neo Air which is going to be way more powerful and be able to run some PC games as well.

There are still legitimate reasons to prefer an Android-based solution. The OS itself is much more tuned for a 6-7 inch 1080p touchscreen and battery life will almost always be noticeably better.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sethsez posted:

There are still legitimate reasons to prefer an Android-based solution. The OS itself is much more tuned for a 6-7 inch 1080p touchscreen and battery life will almost always be noticeably better.

Yeah windows is just not fun on these handhelds and the battery life certainly isn’t the same.

Edit: being able to bind the save slot to a back button is a god send.

Also so is 3x speed to the other back button.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 10, 2022

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
KinHank is delidding MUB boxes and outfitting them with a fan hat... amlogic chip availability must be dire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0sx51342Gs

Comparing the Miyoo Mini and Powkiddy V90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlOB6Ba6lO8

A look at the Retroid Pocket 2+ after several months of updates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnpTqU9Ahqk

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

amazing what the 1gb of RAM did for the Pocket 2+, much nicer to use than my OG Pocket 2.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Photex posted:

amazing what the 1gb of RAM did for the Pocket 2+, much nicer to use than my OG Pocket 2.

I read this and immediately thought about how my first “modern” computer used to rock Nesticle with almost no slowdown. And that was on a measly 16mb of ram. With windows 95 overhead.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??
What shaders and video filter combos are people using for GBA?

I'm trying 2xBR for the video filter and the lcd-grid-v2.glsl and that's been looking pretty good on my Odin. I tried using simpletex_lcd but it gets all distorted on the Odin. Has anyone else had that issue?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Miyoo coming for the blood of the RG351P.
https://twitter.com/RKezins/status/1535788276107427840

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Oh dang. If that little thing can actually play wind waker, I'm all in

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Anyone interested in a lightly used white 351p with the wireless adapter?

Loving my Pocket 2+ and Miyoo Mini combo so don't really want it just..sitting around to rot

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Cross post from the Retro Thread:

Question:

I have an Abernic RG552, but it's kinda been sitting on my desk for a while due to being busy with work. I decided to pick it up again, but I was wondering a few things:

1. When I tell it to check for updates, it says none are available. Is that true, or is this some issue with my system config?

2. For some reason, when I press the key combo to exit a game (configured to be SELECT+START), the game/interface instead just freezes, requiring me to press the reset button. Any ideas what might be causing this?

I really enjoy the Linux front-end, so I'd prefer to keep using it even if performance is supposedly better on Android. I'm only using the device for GBA and earlier systems for the most part. Although PSP is something that I'd like to look into.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Annath posted:

Cross post from the Retro Thread:

Question:

I have an Abernic RG552, but it's kinda been sitting on my desk for a while due to being busy with work. I decided to pick it up again, but I was wondering a few things:

1. When I tell it to check for updates, it says none are available. Is that true, or is this some issue with my system config?

2. For some reason, when I press the key combo to exit a game (configured to be SELECT+START), the game/interface instead just freezes, requiring me to press the reset button. Any ideas what might be causing this?

I really enjoy the Linux front-end, so I'd prefer to keep using it even if performance is supposedly better on Android. I'm only using the device for GBA and earlier systems for the most part. Although PSP is something that I'd like to look into.

I would say move to the amberelec Linux setup, those guys are wizards and l know their poo poo

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Photex posted:

I would say move to the amberelec Linux setup, those guys are wizards and l know their poo poo

Is there a guide to doing that in a way that allows me to keep my existing saves? Does it have the nifty frontend like the stock linux image?

e: Their download page doesn't actually have a build labeled for the RG552 :saddowns:

https://amberelec.org/download

Annath fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 12, 2022

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I'm running JELOS which works really nicely.

If you want an Android build then check out Black Seraph's Patreon - it's a little spendy but the ROMs are good.

I don't think you'll get good PSP on the processor that's in there unfortunately, at least not from what I've tried. GBA is fantastic though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Annath posted:

Is there a guide to doing that in a way that allows me to keep my existing saves? Does it have the nifty frontend like the stock linux image?

e: Their download page doesn't actually have a build labeled for the RG552 :saddowns:

https://amberelec.org/download

It's still in pre-release but stable enough as a daily driver: https://github.com/AmberELEC/AmberELEC-prerelease/releases/

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's still in pre-release but stable enough as a daily driver: https://github.com/AmberELEC/AmberELEC-prerelease/releases/

There really is no diff between pre-release and full releases anymore according to the discord, it's just incremental patches and small bug fixes.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah I think they were going to redo the branch names or something but that hasn't happened yet

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

So assuming a limited selection of devices, what's the best screen for GBA games between Powkiddy V90, Anbernic RG351V, Retroid Pocket 2+, and a 3DS?

Edit: I assume a similar level of emulation quality between all those devices other than the 3DS's BC using the actual existing hardware.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 13, 2022

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Out of those options I'd assume the 351v would be the best, I have one and GBA looks great on it. Only downside is that it's 4:3 aspect ratio and not 3:2 and so you'll have some black bars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Saoshyant posted:

So assuming a limited selection of devices, what's the best screen for GBA games between Powkiddy V90, Anbernic RG351V, Retroid Pocket 2+, and a 3DS?

If the most important thing to you is the screen for GBA, the 3DS is probably the best option of those. The rest are all smaller screens in the wrong aspect ratio. If GBA is really the main thing, an rg351p might be the better option if you haven't considered it, but I don't know why those specific things are your options.