Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Eejit posted:

E to second that Monarch Crest is going to be so snowy as to be unridable. That's a July through October trail.

Monarch is definitely not rideable. The moto club is going up June 18 to cut a path through the cornice, so that’s the absolute earliest. The main descents will probably hold moisture for a bit after that, though it might be worth trying earlier this year.

Love that you’re getting out and riding all this on an XC hardtail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
I guess you could say..I was born naturally influent.

spwrozek posted:

You will be fine on the HT, not optimal but it is what you got. I rode my 2008 Trek 6500 on pretty much all these trails before I finally got a FS in 2019.

I MIGHT be riding in Summit on saturday but I also maybe have some unexpected family in town.

E: Also can't believe you rode Palo Duro Canyon. I used to be in Amarillo all the time for work and would go run there. Also seemed like it would be fun biking.

PDC was awesome! We were not aware that there was an ongoing MTB event (24hrs in the Canyon race) that had most of the park closed until 12pm Sunday. This put us riding in the heat of the day, so we only dipped our toes and plan to stop back by on the way home to explore some of the more technical trails. The photos hardly capture the scale and colors of the rock formations. The moon was prominently visible in the sky mid-day, this plus the unique scenery made it feel other-worldly.

Seriously appreciate all of the recommendations from everyone! That is plenty of info to plan another few days of great fun. Each ride has left me feeling that it was the ride of a lifetime, making it very difficulty to decide where to go next.

We are staying in a house at the base of Soda Ridge and had stopped into a local shop to be sure that the nearby trails were dry and good to go. Yesterday afternoon we rode Soda and Red up to the CT. It was day 3 of hard riding, and the climbing + elevation definitely pushed our limits, but the views at the top were overwhelmingly beautiful and had me very thankful for the experience. I was overjoyed and the ride back down felt like my best riding to date.

Glad to know about the Monarch Crest conditions. Yesterday's ride was plenty beautiful and the exact experience I was hoping for and it sounds like there are plenty of places to ride without venturing into potentially muddy/snowy areas.

Some more photos here:

https://imgur.com/a/1LNpYop

https://imgur.com/a/hsaK9Kv

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Cookie I have a 2013 Trek Marlin hard tail and adding a dropper post was life changing. Splurge and get the upgrade if you wanna keep riding the bike.

This is the first MTB themed trip I've taken and I definitely splurged trying to prepare for it. I need to cut down my post, as my seat goes just low enough to avoid it on small jumps & downhill, takes some serious hamstring stretching though. Have been studying Joy of Bike and Lee Likes Bikes videos and they have really helped me figure out how to manage as-is. That being said, I have affectionately dubbed my bike Gooch-hammer.

I grabbed a 150mm PNW Cascade, hoping that I could drop my seat further and have it top out in an efficient pedaling position, but I measured poorly and need to swap it for a 125. Other upgrades were a 30t wolftooth, dual Zee bottle cages, 2.4 Ardent front and 2.2 Ikon rear. Also grabbed an Osprey Syncro 12 thanks to this thread's recommendations, for longer rides where my High Above hip pack wouldn't be enough.

Can't wait to get the right dropper installed though.

COOKIE DELIGHT fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 8, 2022

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

hey

Looks a lot better in your shot without the smoke.

Seriously loving this. Nice work.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I'll save the thread, but I also have a photo from that sign!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I rode a bike. It was nice.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Eejit posted:

I still haven’t ridden that trail. How is it?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Bud Manstrong posted:

I still haven’t ridden that trail. How is it?

Sick. Fast and flowy with plenty of well built jumps that aren't too big. A few minorly techy sections, but mostly a variety of tight and big swoopy berms. BLT is the bonus jump line at the bottom and worth the small amount of uphill pedal to get back to the TH. Brake bumps at the bottom, but the top is buff. Climbing up via Wyse/PBJ is pretty easy, although hot during mid day in summer. Would recommend!

For being as close to Eagle and the rest of the valley as I am, I really haven't ridden too much there either. Gotta make the effort this summer.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I also haven't ridden that trail, where's the chairlift?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

It's your friend's mom shuttling you in a Honda Odyssey

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

It's clinic season in Copper Harbor and we're back at it, with dope brand new trails!

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You guys have such lovely trails. Here in Connecticut all I have are rooty, rocky, leafy largely flat terrain.

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006

Bud Manstrong posted:

hey

Looks a lot better in your shot without the smoke.

Seriously loving this. Nice work.

Hah, nice! Such a great view. We rode up the other side from Horseshoe gulch yesterday. Made it halfway up West Ridge before running into some snow. There's a downed tree on the switchbacks just before West Ridge but it was easy enough to climb over.

Eejit posted:

Agreed.

Climbed 2.3k on the Colorado Trail yesterday and didn't realize how tired my legs were until halfway up, loved the change in terrain though. Any idea if that's Russian Sage that's all over the hillside?

Had to really focus on weighting and pumping the turns. Could have used a beefier rear tire than the 2.2 ikon. Felt like a skill check in many ways, definitely going to sleep good tonight!

COOKIE DELIGHT fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 11, 2022

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

lugged my fat rear end up a couple hundred foot hill, got super winded and back sore, rested, then fired my rear end back down that hill as fast as felt survivable. 10/10 will meet sweaty dudes in the woods again

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
Final ride at PDC before heading back home. Got to check out the more technical side of the park. The trail 'rock garden' climbs 900ft to the rim of the canyon and was an absolute blast. Started just after sunrise and it was 105 when we finished two hours later.

Great way to finish off the trip! Learned a bunch this week and was able to put it to use shredding back down. Definitely a new favorite.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
My rear rotor is right between this scuff on the inside of my chainstay. Never noticed it before I was cleaning my bike recently, any idea what may have caused this? Rotor has plenty of clearance back there.

https://imgur.com/a/IqcfF30

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

I'd guess the rotor scrapping the chainstay when you take off/put on the wheel

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Is One Up still the thread’s choice for dropper? My TranzX got some grit inside and now it won’t fully extend on its own. I could just replace it with the same model but it’s also right on the edge of being the correct seat height and it would be nice to try something different.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Haven't tried oneup but pnw is another solid one. Good warranty and sounds like they take care of customers pretty well. I haven't had mine for more than a year but so far no issues. And you can get it in different colors, which is the most important factor when buying anything bike related.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PNW sent me a new dropper before I had even sent mine in after describing a problem solely over the phone. They paid shipping on both. Definitely earned my future business.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

Haven't tried oneup but pnw is another solid one. Good warranty and sounds like they take care of customers pretty well. I haven't had mine for more than a year but so far no issues. And you can get it in different colors, which is the most important factor when buying anything bike related.

That's the Loam, right? Unfortunately my stupid bike is black.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ought ten posted:

Is One Up still the thread’s choice for dropper?
it’s also right on the edge of being the correct seat height

OneUp really talks up how low stack the stuff above the seat tube is, which could be useful for you.
I was looking for 150mm posts, but after checking OneUp's measurements, I realized I could run a 180, which ends up being almost the entire exposed post.

The other one people have talked up is the BikeYoke Revive.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
The OneUp can also be slightly tweaked with some internal pins if you need a slightly shorter travel post. It’s super easy to do.

I Have a Bike Yoke revive and two OneUps. The Bike Yoke is definitely a smoother post and has less play but it’s not worth the premium over the OneUp, imo.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

ought ten posted:

That's the Loam, right? Unfortunately my stupid bike is black.

My bike is black but everything else has colors that I've bought. :v: I think the loam is what I bought, yeah. It comes with the black ring even if you pick a color. Or at least mine did.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Is there an easy way to clean a dropper? I got some mud or something in it the other day and it still works fine, it just makes an annoying scraping sound when it goes up or down.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

yoohoo posted:

Is there an easy way to clean a dropper? I got some mud or something in it the other day and it still works fine, it just makes an annoying scraping sound when it goes up or down.

Getting the collar off the first time is usually the hardest part but they otherwise disassemble pretty simply. Check youtube for your brand and exact instructions as it'll vary between brands and types with and without a gas cartridge.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

It depends on the post but its usually pretty easy these days (unless you have a rockshox reverb, lol). Look up the dust seal replacement and lubrication instructions for your model. Usually it's a matter of unscrewing a few parts and wiping it down. You'll probably need to pick up some slick honey or whatever grease they spec. It's a good idea to do it every so often or that grit will shred the seals, bushings, and finish on the post.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I have the Bike Yoke on my Ripmo and it's been good

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Spime Wrangler posted:

It depends on the post but its usually pretty easy these days (unless you have a rockshox reverb, lol). Look up the dust seal replacement and lubrication instructions for your model. Usually it's a matter of unscrewing a few parts and wiping it down. You'll probably need to pick up some slick honey or whatever grease they spec. It's a good idea to do it every so often or that grit will shred the seals, bushings, and finish on the post.

Yeah this is why I’m in the market for a new dropper. Got some grit in, wore a big scar on the finish, and now it only comes up about halfway. Clean your posts friends.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

what's the advantage of a dropper over a quick release seatpost? my bikes got a flat top tube so its a moot point for me, im just curious

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

OMGVBFLOL posted:

what's the advantage of a dropper over a quick release seatpost? my bikes got a flat top tube so its a moot point for me, im just curious

You don't stop to use it.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Not having to stop to adjust it, and it always returns to the same height.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

It is hard to overstate how much of an upgrade a dropper is for a trail bike. It doesn't seem like much at first glance but it makes getting the seat out of the way totally effortless and in mixed descents and climbs being able to pop it back up on the fly is really awesome.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
When I got my new bike the dropper was the thing I was least certain about being worthwhile, but the first time I used it on a trail it was one of those "oh, so that's why these are standard on anything over a certain price" moments.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

OMGVBFLOL posted:

You can still run a dropper. Just might be a little shorter

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
Hooning about on my Sawyer before the storms move in.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My scenery isn't as pretty as all of yours', but it keeps me coming back so it's good enough I guess.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

PoorPeteBest posted:

Hooning about on my Sawyer before the storms move in.

I had to look that up because I thought "man, that's a pretty bike."

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!

Suburban Dad posted:

I had to look that up because I thought "man, that's a pretty bike."

Thanks, Gary Fisher is the man.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

So, I just did my first ride on pedals with pins and five tens and wow; feet were absolutely stuck to the petals, to the point where I’d normally slide my feet around to get them into the right position but had to pick them up to reposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

in a well actually posted:

So, I just did my first ride on pedals with pins and five tens and wow; feet were absolutely stuck to the petals, to the point where I’d normally slide my feet around to get them into the right position but had to pick them up to reposition.

Yeah man that's the feeling. On rough enough stuff I really don't find I can even reposition and have to take the time at the start of the run to get my feet perfectly where I want them.