Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah I mean I'll be bummed if my new tv or shipment of brown rice shows up brundlefly'd, but that's Amazon's problem to fix.

If it happens to me, or I end up with a suave sexy/evil goateed clone stepping out of the transporter beside me, then we have some real problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

rydiafan posted:

And they are right to feel that way.

https://youtu.be/nQHBAdShgYI

Thought this link was going to be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUXKUcsvhQc

Joey Freshwater posted:

I came to post about this episode. when I saw them walking around the ship in distress with no suits, I immediately questioned why they didn’t have on suits. Then surprise one of them get infected with a space virus

And then they don't put the suits back on when the off-brand Necromorphs are on the Orville, turning more people!

Alhazred posted:

Isn't the point of the Orville that everyone is incompetent?

Nah, in most episodes at least most of the crew is competent at their jobs and the humor comes from the absurdity of utopian sci-fi exploration tropes. There are exceptions - when it's intentional it's usually a major plot beat for the episode (like when a guy runs a skeezy holodeck program that infects the ship with an alien computer virus) and when it's unintentional it's usually something to do with Seth McFarlane trying to be a diplomat in the most bog-stupid way possible. That's why this episode stood out so much. That's not to say the show doesn't have other serious flaws, like the security officer being written off the show only to be replaced by another brunette woman with bright lipstick and forehead ridges like an episode later, or the crew being absolutely unable to grasp that androids don't have feelings despite working closely with one for years.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
There's also the existential question of whether or not being torn apart into constituent atoms and reassembled elsewhere means you've actually been killed and replaced with a clone.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

800peepee51doodoo posted:

There's also the existential question of whether or not being torn apart into constituent atoms and reassembled elsewhere means you've actually been killed and replaced with a clone.

rydiafan posted:

And they are right to feel that way.

https://youtu.be/nQHBAdShgYI

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Only cowards quail in the face of ontological discontinuity, I already believe I am destroyed and remade in each instant, transport me a hundred times a day, I will have everyone else's transporter allocation. Duplicate me with the transporter I don't give a poo poo, I already solved that problem too. You only make me more powerful by doing so.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Oh sorry if I was repeating whatever was in that video, im at work and can't watch it

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Rockman Reserve posted:

And then they don't put the suits back on when the off-brand Necromorphs are on the Orville, turning more people!

AND THEN They just....talked them into leaving instead of just easily killing them off like they knew they could? What? Like I know they were your ship buddies but all they're gonna do is go out and take over more people and then your way to kill them won't work because their immune systems will have been built up. Just dumb as hell

Rockman Reserve posted:

or the crew being absolutely unable to grasp that androids don't have feelings despite working closely with one for years.

Also this was stupid too. When whats her name is literally telling at a robot because he "killed" himself saying suicide is not the answer. Right message just the dumbest way possible of getting it across. The robot didn't kill himself because his feelings were hurt. It was because pretty much nobody wanted him around so logically to him it didn't make sense to be there so he deactivated himself. Also bringing him back and then everything is all good was stupid too.

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 19:39 on Jun 13, 2022

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Joey Freshwater posted:

AND THEN They just....talked them into leaving instead of just easily killing them off like they knew they could? What? Like I know they were your ship buddies but all they're gonna do is go out and take over more people and then your way to kill them won't work because their immune systems will have been built up. Just dumb as hell
They're clearly setting up the season's antagonists, that are going to be a huge problem because the admiral clearly still has all his admiral knowledge you idiots just told those things where everyone is!

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Episode 47: OW MY INTERNAL ORGANS

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I really hate the trend in the past few years of horror movies where the monster is actually a manifestation of the main character's depression or whatever and not actually a real thing. The Arbors, i'm looking at you. Just make the giant spider monster a real thing that you stupidly brought home and fed and it got free and started killing people. Movies don't have to have a deeper meaning, just make it a cool spider movie. It wasn't even a good attempt at the "actualaly the monster was himself" thing.

This is particularly egregious in horror movies.

And I think this is because every single horror movie writer and/or director feels the need to "elevate" their work above mere exploitative fare.

And I think that comes from way back in the day, when horror films were exploitative trash, because horror was considered 'beneath' the major studios/critics/money men etc. you would get a lot of interesting smaller movies, and could experiment with a lot more subversive/interesting ideas.

But now that a lot of those films have been rediscovered, and gone over and the interesting/subversive ideas within have been found, a lot of horror movie makers want to be considered serious intellectual artists, so feel like they have to put in some deeper meaning because horror is like a totally deep and cerebral genre, man.

Robbing us of the fun films involving big scary monsters going rawr. As opposed to the ones where the baddie is an allegory for society's mistreatment of the disadvantaged, or a commentary on how financial prosperity in one area brings economic pain in another etc.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Episode 49: How did Rock Lee graduate if he is theoretically unable to use the Clone Jutsu?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Do you want to be the one that gives Bruce Lee an F?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

When they tested him on the clone jutsu he punched the examiner really hard. The examiner started seeing double: four Rock Lees.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
They also use common sense based off of potential - Guy passed his tests in his backstory episodes because of technicalities, because while he couldn't do the magic poo poo the higher-ups saw how good he was at Taijutsu and let him in. Certainly if you CAN use the magic they want you to be good at it, but if you can't they don't discriminate at least after Guy set a precedent.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yea, Lee was really really REALLY good at one of the three branches of Ninja Things, so he got to pass. Naruto was poo poo at everything and only managed to pass because of what he pulled off after discovering the one thing he was good at.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Schubalts posted:

Yea, Lee was really really REALLY good at one of the three branches of Ninja Things, so he got to pass. Naruto was poo poo at everything and only managed to pass because of what he pulled off after discovering the one thing he was good at.

There's a pretty great bit towards the end of Shippuden regarding the Lee family as a reanimated Madara Uchiha, the most dangerous person in that family line, fights Might Guy after the latter pulls out all the 8 gates and he's just like "OH MY GOD this is so much fun, you are the second strongest guy I've ever fought! You are officially the greatest Taijutsu fighter in history! PLEASE tell me you have more moves, I'm really loving this fight!"

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ugh, I was suckered into Naruto in college when a roommate asked me to DL it for him, and then watched it for like a decade after until the ninja war. I gave up on it because it was filler trash and I didn’t care who won at the end.

Now you people are making me think about finding some abridged version of the show or something. Don’t do this to me.

(Rock Lee was the best though.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The abridged version is reading the manga but even that is super long. Also you don't get as much Rock Lee because a lot of stuff with him was anime only

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's total garbage. Watch Yu Yu Hakusho or something

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

IUG posted:

Ugh, I was suckered into Naruto in college when a roommate asked me to DL it for him, and then watched it for like a decade after until the ninja war. I gave up on it because it was filler trash and I didn’t care who won at the end.

Now you people are making me think about finding some abridged version of the show or something. Don’t do this to me.

(Rock Lee was the best though.)

Just watch the Rock Lee and Might Guy fights on YouTube and be done with it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Elissimpark posted:

The final fight between Naruto and Sasuke is also pretty rad because there's a point where they run out of Chakra and it just gets REALLY ugly.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

BioEnchanted posted:

The final fight between Naruto and Sasuke is also pretty rad because there's a point where they run out of Chakra and it just gets REALLY ugly.

Elissimpark posted:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm not sure who started it, possibly Mobile Suit Gundam, but anime fights ending in exhausted brutal slugfests is really fun.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
after watching Encanto again, I think Mirabel's gift is some kind of superhuman patience and love because anyone sane would have gone Syndrome on that loving family.

i mean, imagine how hosed the village is when her mom the healer dies. No more magic healing food, hope someone learned to be a doctor!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's not irritating, necessarily, and I debated whether to post here or bump the subtle moments thread a few pages back about it

But

I watched the first episode of the Amazon Jack Reacher series last night, and I hope the big jamoke they got in as Reacher develops his take on the character a little further, because as it stands his line readings are "Tom Cruise". As in, every word out of his mouth sounds like it was done with Cruise's cadence and tone of voice. To the point where I only half jokingly expect the big guy to rip off his face and reveal it was a mask with Cruise underneath, Mission Impossible style.

It was cool as hell when Karl Urban played Deforest Kelly As Leonard McCoy, considering it made Nimoy choke up a little iirc, but this is taking me out of it a little.

Actual irritating moment: knowing Werner Herzog won't show up.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cowslips Warren posted:

after watching Encanto again, I think Mirabel's gift is some kind of superhuman patience and love because anyone sane would have gone Syndrome on that loving family.

i mean, imagine how hosed the village is when her mom the healer dies. No more magic healing food, hope someone learned to be a doctor!

Yeah my initial thought after the beginning song was that there'd be something about the village that would absolutely collapse without the family's powers.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I mean the village did just fine for the seven or eight years until the triplets came into their powers. Though I guess the danger is that the enchantment that raised the mountains and protects them from the outside will fail.

I dunno, Mirabel's family feel real. Like, they're trying to be kind and to support her but she doesn't fit in, she was made different, and they don't know what to do with her. Isabella is an *rear end in a top hat* though. And Dolores knew about Bruno but didn't bother like, interacting with him in any way? Bah.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Moonfall.

I can get through the plot, the exposition dumps and bad acting.

But gently caress all the Elon Musk name drops.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I personally can't stand ol muskrat, but the character in the movie seemed like one of those conspiracy tech bros who'd be stanning Elon online.

Unfortunately the correct answer to his continued question of what would Elon do has been and always will be shitpost on Twitter and do absolutely nothing.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm not sure who started it, possibly Mobile Suit Gundam, but anime fights ending in exhausted brutal slugfests is really fun.

The fight with Vegeta in the Saiyan Saga is my favorite of the series for just that reason.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Alternatively, fights where the protagonist doesn't just stand there letting their opponent recover

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Panfilo posted:

This is true for a lot of 'biological' weapons. The technology to weaponize dinosaurs/killer bees/aliens/zombies/etc would be simpler to use for nukes, poison gas, radiation weapons, and so on. Why rely on animals to do all this?

The 'evil' scientist in Return of the Living Dead 3 is using zombies as batteries in her war machines because she's realized they are perpetual motion devices.

The 'good' scientist was just letting them run wild and then freezing them for later use.

Return of the living dead zombies are unkillable, so making more of them is a bad idea.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

oh man, the talk of using zombies as green (and slimy) energy reminded me of zombiedefense.org, which apparently is no longer live

https://web.archive.org/web/20060809233437/http://zombiedefense.org/main/index.html

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I watch a lot of documentaries. It's one of my favorite genres. But I hate ones that rely too heavily on re-enactments. I get why it's necessary a lot of times since, obviously, not everything related to the story was recorded but some just take it too far. I'm far more interested in interviews with related subjects, facts, media and police reports, history and what have you than lovely actors recreating crime scenes or whatever.

I think The Thin Blue Line was the only time this didn't bug me too much because they were trying to reconstruct something based on known evidence and contradicting statements from witnesses.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Watching the second episode of Ms. Marvel and there's a rescue moment: holy poo poo Kamala why did you take the time to change into costume while the kid is dangling from a window lmao

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

FFT posted:

Watching the second episode of Ms. Marvel and there's a rescue moment: holy poo poo Kamala why did you take the time to change into costume while the kid is dangling from a window lmao

Heh I'm watching that right now too and my theory is "gotta protect your secret identity!"

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
An iimm: clickbait reviews designed to promote our engagement by being stupid and contrarian.

Sorry Millennials, but Jurassic Park was never a good movie

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Breetai posted:

An iimm: clickbait reviews designed to promote our engagement by being stupid and contrarian.

Sorry Millennials, but Jurassic Park was never a good movie

Well does it say anything interesting or will I have to click on the clickbait?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Well does it say anything interesting or will I have to click on the clickbait?

Stay strong, the reviewer is either a certified genius (troll) or an authentic wacko.

Edit: whatever it says, I want SMG or one of our other resident film theorists to tear it to shreds and force feed the bits to the author.

Beachcomber has a new favorite as of 08:03 on Jun 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I had a look. It's uncinematic, there's too much talking, Richard Attenborough's Scottish accent is unconvincing. Ellie is a bad character, Wayne Knight can't act, the visbility and noise levels of the dinosaurs are inconsistent (this one is true but who gives a gently caress), the kids are 'squealing tykes', the music is 'too high and brassy'.

This person is an idiot.