Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

My favourite way of approaching a project is to have a set of requirements nailed down and agreed on by both sides, to deploy infrastructure that meets those requirements, and then once everything has been set up to have the customer come back and ask for extra things that they never mentioned initially because they "thought it would be too expensive".

same energy as asking for extra toppings in the delivery instructions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Who the gently caress thinks its a good idea for a manager to be on an on-call rotation for helpdesk? Don't get me wrong, it's good that they do it, but it's *not* good when they find ways to have other team members take jobs past quit time right before 5 pm so they don't have to deal with it. If it had only happened once or twice, ok, but its pretty consistent and he gets away with it because he's the direct report-to for us. Irritating.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The manager who gets the on-call bonus thinks it's a great idea.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
poo poo pissing me off:

Father-in-law’s complete inability to learn anything computer related. For the last 30 years it’s been an exercise in frustration and futility.

He contacted me because he was no longer able to receive email messages using outlook 2010. So help me God, outlook 2010.

Doing some digging I discovered that Gmail turned off third-party access for old email clients so I ended up having to migrate him to Thunderbird. I swear to God it’s like I just told him that his computer is a baseball bat for the amount of confusion that Thunderbird has created.

I keep trying to explain that he needs to change his mental model and just replace the word outlook with the word Thunderbird anytime he does anything with email. But he is just. So. Confused.

But he is 85.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Agrikk posted:

poo poo pissing me off:

Father-in-law’s complete inability to learn anything computer related. For the last 30 years it’s been an exercise in frustration and futility.

He contacted me because he was no longer able to receive email messages using outlook 2010. So help me God, outlook 2010.

Doing some digging I discovered that Gmail turned off third-party access for old email clients so I ended up having to migrate him to Thunderbird. I swear to God it’s like I just told him that his computer is a baseball bat for the amount of confusion that Thunderbird has created.

I keep trying to explain that he needs to change his mental model and just replace the word outlook with the word Thunderbird anytime he does anything with email. But he is just. So. Confused.

But he is 85.

You are making the same error i did when handling my parents computer needs.
When their office got too old, i put thunderbird and libreoffice on.
After months of attempting to wipe decades of office muscle memory, i caved in, waited for the usual 50% discount on 365 family, set up family sharing of the licenses and never had a single call ever again.
Going FSF on people who have always used microsoft software is only an exercise in frustration.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 13, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Agrikk posted:

poo poo pissing me off:

But he is 85.
You hosed around and changed the name and the icon for the shortcut, right?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Funny you should mention office 365 –

That was the first thing I recommended. Just bite the bullet and pay the subscription fee and call it good. But no, he decided to be a cheapskate on this one particular point and therefore Thunderbird.

And no icon fuckery. The last thing I need is him calling me up in nine months saying that outlook isn’t working and then I get all confused because I thought I’d converted him to Thunderbird.

…and Excel 2010 and Word 2010 live on.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Agrikk posted:

That was the first thing I recommended. Just bite the bullet and pay the subscription fee and call it good. But no, he decided to be a cheapskate on this one particular point and therefore Thunderbird.

And no icon fuckery. The last thing I need is him calling me up in nine months saying that outlook isn’t working and then I get all confused because I thought I’d converted him to Thunderbird.

Excel and Word 2010, huh? Yes... Terrible...

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The in-laws are tough. If it's my family, I'll just pay for it and be done with it. $5/month or whatever is well worth not having my mom or step-dad call me, and I don't have to worry about upsetting them if I insist on fixing something.

My in-law's house had bad internet ever since I've known my wife. I think we're going on year 15 or so. Multiple providers, constant battles over it, etc. Her father passed away about a year ago and I had a chance to look at it without offending anyone. They had been paying for gigabit internet and were consistently getting 30%+ packetloss. I got that fixed and it was like the end of an era. So weird to have working house in the house that was known as the "lovely internet house."

So ah, yeah. You have my sympathies.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I guess there's zero chance of solving this with a Chromebox then

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004

Agrikk posted:

Couple people sell cheap office keys in samart.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ihafarm posted:

Couple people sell cheap office keys in samart.

Without going into too much detail and drama, is that stuff legit?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sickening posted:

as a consumer you will typically get a key that activates the software package you paid for.

I was not particularly surprised when I tried to re-activate it a year later the key had used up all its license activations and was floating around on VK/Yandex.

I was surprised that the SAMart guy replaced it free of charge when I complained.

tl;dr: as a product obviously not, as a consumer yes

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sickening posted:

I've made multiple purchases from them over the years, nary an issue.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Microsoft isn't going to be knocking on your door if that's what you're wondering but yeah I probably wouldn't sit on the code for a year or whatever. Wouldn't surprise me if they just have a ton of enterprise or institutional keys and they eventually exceed the maximum allowance of activations. They probably just forgot to check and needed to re-up.

E: or simply didn't mark the license as sold and put it up for sale again when they saw that it appeared to not be in use.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 14, 2022

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
lol if you don’t do an export of the entire license key list for personal use from the vlsc before you put in notice

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
lol if you don’t have multiple MSDN accounts and use the licenses for whatever you want

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Internet Explorer posted:

So weird to have working house in the house that was known as the "lovely internet house."

I too also find it house to have working house in the house known as the housy house house.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

SyNack Sassimov posted:

I too also find it house to have working house in the house known as the housy house house.

:lol::lol::lol:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

SyNack Sassimov posted:

God drat it. Also you are way too on point.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
I’m lucky, I suppose, in that my parents fall into the “if it costs more money then it’s in some way better” category of late-stage consumerism. They’ve had Macs forever, which is great for me because so do I, and it means troubleshooting is both rare and fairly simple.

It does mean that their absolute first response to every problem is “well how much do I have to spend on a new one?” Their second response, paradoxically, is to just not ever get it fixed or spend the money on a new one. My dad has a laptop with a battery that lasts 5 minutes, my mom has a desktop with a hard drive that takes 15 minutes to boot and makes sounds that would function as a serviceable EDM beat, and they’re still trucking away with nary a repair in sight. I assume in another couple of years their prophecy will be fulfilled and they will have to replace both computers.

We got my mother-in-law on a Chromebook, because she treats laptops like coasters and placemats, and those are cheap to replace every year or so.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

The ironic part about my FIL's complete lack of computer-using is that they just moved into a house that was previously owned by an AWS employee who works in IoT. The house is loaded with structured wiring, Lutron managed light switches, full-mesh WAPs, an aftermarket cable gateway, firewall, managed L3 switches, picture frame art TV, the works.

Without knowing anything about that setup, my FIL ordered Comcast and of course the tech arrived on site said "My gateway is better" and ripped out all of the kit in the rack in the garage. Of couerse breaking everything and causing an IP conflict that he couldn't resolve, so he left the gateway connected to the coax jack in the garage and left.

So I got to come in figure out everything without any instructions and got it all working again. I admit it was actually pretty fun to sleuth though someone else's setup, as broken as it was, reset everything to default and then put it together again to make it all work.

And now I can turn every thing in his house on and off remotely from my phone whenever I want. Have I done it once or twice already? You betcha.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There's a note on file for my Verizon account that was put there by the chief customer officer's private secretary. It says "Don't ever touch anything in Killhour's rack except the fiber termination." I haven't had any problems since.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

KillHour posted:

There's a note on file for my Verizon account that was put there by the chief customer officer's private secretary. It says "Don't ever touch anything in Killhour's rack except the fiber termination." I haven't had any problems since.
Back in the long ago before Verizon bought Eir and before they changed the name from Eircom I was living in my parents there was a note on their account that told their techs to hang up if my parents tried to put me on the line. Half-assed anti-piracy measures would break and kill the internet at random, and I'd bypass them to prove that the issue was on their end and not ours (DNS haiku goes here), or they'd refuse to accept something like "modem is dead" and insist on digging up the street to lay new cables. Literally anything rather than just admit I knew my poo poo and pissing away money to do it. Verizon are, somehow, less terrible than Eircom used to be.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

KillHour posted:

This is a great idea!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Agrikk posted:

This is a great idea!

It only takes having them gently caress up both your billing and your equipment repeatedly for months and then you have to email literally the entire executive team by guessing their emails and you'll get a 5AM response from Tami Erwin that she hurriedly typed out on her iPad promising to make it right.

https://www.verizon.com/about/our-company/executive-bios/tami-erwin

I should really frame that email.

Edit:

My all-time finest Karen moment.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 14, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Agrikk posted:

I must admit that in case of my parents, I'm footing the bill myself, since i consider the health expense of having to deal with libreoffice bullshit higher than the yearly 25 something euros of the sub. In your case i fear that there is litte recourse than maybe pirating office or telling your FIL to pound sand and deal with it himself.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

KillHour posted:

My old ISP had a similar note for my poo poo, after they hosed around and found out.

Yes, my firewall at the time could probably route all traffic in and out of the county, why do you ask?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Arquinsiel posted:

Verizon are, somehow, less terrible

:eyepop:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

telling your FIL to pound sand

I’d love to do this but unfortunately he is related to my wife and there’s no escaping her. :dance:

Seriously though- the dude is 85 and a pancreatic cancer survivor and chemo brain is a thing. At this point his inability to differentiate between the internet, Windows, Outlook, Office and email (and his incessant “cleverly funny” referral to Microsoft as “Microcrap”) is a grating annoyance but is ultimately the cost of entry into the family.

The payment I have been making for over thirty years and counting.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Do you ever feel the urge to go learn a topic just to prove someone wrong and shove it in their face?

I do BI work but that's how I'm feeling at the moment regarding pcap and infosec poo poo. I'm getting too old to be this petty but yet...

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

Do you ever feel the urge to go learn a topic just to prove someone wrong and shove it in their face?

I do BI work but that's how I'm feeling at the moment regarding pcap and infosec poo poo. I'm getting too old to be this petty but yet...

One time I did this and found out the guy I was annoyed at was right.

He was still an rear end in a top hat though.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Fool posted:

He was still an rear end in a top hat though.

Yeah, that's very likely how this story would turn out as well.

:mad:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Hughmoris posted:

Spite is actually a significant factor in my general success in life.

Sure it's annoying when the rear end in a top hat is right. But when you can call someone on their poo poo, it's all worth it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hughmoris posted:

All the time. But I'm the kind of person who likes learning new things and having at least a trivia level understanding of whatever I can, so it's usually something I would have been interested in learning anyways, wanting to prove someone wrong on the internet just provides the direction to focus.

quote:

At least having a basic grasp on packet captures is really useful in any part of IT where you might have to troubleshoot a network issue. If you can harness your pettiness to learn a useful skill I say go for it.

The Fool posted:

The number of half written effortposts I've had to discard because I was looking for references to support my position and realized I was wrong is a lot higher than I'd like to admit, but on the other hand it's a very effective way to learn.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

gently caress PRINTERS

gently caress this Konica Minolta printer UI, it looks like someone barfed the settings onto random spots with no clear order or clarity to it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

klosterdev posted:

gently caress this Konica Minolta printer UI, it looks like someone barfed the settings onto random spots with no clear order or clarity to it.

To be honest a lot of printer UIs are this way.

I've been working with some Ricoh/Lanier printers lately and they are similar. Complete with badly translated English sentences.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

That was me with Citrix, arguing with some grey beards that it doesn’t take six months to deploy a single Citrix server. Also me proving that a data warehouse was actually a good and necessary thing.

Both projects ultimately forced me into skills I would not have developed and ultimately became the foundational skills upon which I built my career. (I was originally sitting for my CCIE and got as far as taking the written test and only had the lab to go when I realized I didn’t enjoy networking at all).

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

I'm just starting to use Docker and a little bit of kubernetes to see if it can make some process improvements at work. Why does kubernetes call them "Taints"? It'd be nice to have it named just about anything else so I don't constantly feel like a 12 year old when I say it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Everything in IT is named by 12 year olds with ADHD, as per the Working in IT thread.