Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I wonder how the guy we saw on Friday who crashed his bike without a helmet is doing. His head was all smashed up.

not sure. i can tell you that my former boss who was hit in a crosswalk as a pedestrian still has ongoing brain trauma that may be with her for the rest of her life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

I wear a helmet when I ride my bike (throttled electric) on the bike paths at 30mph because I want to be safe. i also fist bump all the lycra clad weekend warriors as I zoom by and when I see some helmetless Dutch idiot tootling around like a wheeled tortoise I take a pool cue from my panniers and jam it in their spokes like I’m in road rage (N64 version)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

do dutch cyclists really bike that slow? most non-lycra cyclists i see in the states are in beach cruisers with chop-shop handlebars going 6mph

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

not sure. i can tell you that my former boss who was hit in a crosswalk as a pedestrian still has ongoing brain trauma that may be with her for the rest of her life

You have protective equipment already in a crosswalk - traffic signals and the crosswalk itself.

If you want to wear a helmet while crossing the street that's fine, but drawing a false equivalency between walking and zipping around at 15mph on a two-wheeled vehicle you're holding up solely with your balance makes you sound like a boomer in 1970 who refuses to wear a seatbelt because "I don't wear a harness everywhere I go" or "I don't use a safety line to climb the stairs."

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

You have protective equipment already in a crosswalk - traffic signals and the crosswalk itself.

are those protective or preventative

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

If you want to wear a helmet while crossing the street that's fine, but drawing a false equivalency between walking and zipping around at 15mph on a two-wheeled vehicle you're holding up solely with your balance makes you sound like a boomer in 1970 who refuses to wear a seatbelt because "I don't wear a harness everywhere I go" or "I don't use a safety line to climb the stairs."

he already said he was just joshin around

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

i say swears online posted:

are those protective or preventative

Preventative but the same thing, in theory drivers are supposed to pay attention to that poo poo and not run you over.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
what the gently caress does a bike helmet have to do with hating cars

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

mystes posted:

KARS 4 (KILLING) KIDS

kars 4 kids funds zionist charities so you're not actually wrong

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.

withak posted:

I wonder if the dumpster in question was like a block away, or just in the alley out back?

You're never more than 100-200 feet from a dumpster in that development. It's like those people who drive their car to check their mailbox or pick their kids up after they're dropped off by the school bus.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

leftist heap posted:

what the gently caress does a bike helmet have to do with hating cars

ask this guy

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

and she wasnt even wearing a helmet?

WEAR A HELMET

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Wearing a helmet is highly correlated with hating cars in america

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

do dutch cyclists really bike that slow? most non-lycra cyclists i see in the states are in beach cruisers with chop-shop handlebars going 6mph

if you wanted to go to the store on foot would you jog there or take a stroll?

I don't know if dutch people cycle fast or slow, but I would completely understand a leisurely ride

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

TeenageArchipelago posted:

if you wanted to go to the store on foot would you jog there or take a stroll?

sprints

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

edit: wrong thread

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

If you want to wear a helmet while crossing the street that's fine, but drawing a false equivalency between walking and zipping around at 15mph on a two-wheeled vehicle you're holding up solely with your balance makes you sound like a boomer in 1970 who refuses to wear a seatbelt because "I don't wear a harness everywhere I go".

As we can see, though, 'protective equipment' like a crosswalk absolutely does not protect people; paint is not protection. And I'm pretty clearly not drawing an equivalence between walking and cycling per se but rather between the danger you're exposed to as a pedestrian or cyclist, and that danger is not by any means a false equivalence based on how many cyclists and pedestrians end up dead or disabled every year.

So we can both see the absurdity of telling pedestrians to wear helmets, but the absurdity of telling cyclists to wear helmets is a little fuzzier. Like I said earlier, I wear a helmet on pretty much every trip I take by bike. But I do so knowing that not only is a styrofoam hat not the solution, on a societal level our love of helmets - and telling cyclists to wear them - is part of the problem. You see it every time a report about a dead cyclist notes whether or not they were wearing a helmet, calls it an accident, absolves the driver, and includes basically no other details about anything anyone else was doing. If we could just get a few more people to wear helmets, things would be better.

except, uh, here's the end result of an international experiment to see whether haranguing people about helmets or building safe streets is more effective at preventing deaths

check out those helmet rates, USA number one baby. awooo

I'm sure you and I don't disagree about safe streets because here we are in this thread, but that's why I was saying it's good to distinguish between helmets as a piece of safety equipment which might help you and helmets as the thing that every cop reaches for when they explain why a cyclist just got turned into a red mist by a driver. the choice is between a traffic system that separates different types of traffic and slows drivers on the one hand, and a system where cyclists get hit all the time and a few get lucky because the specifics of their crash meant the helmet saved them but most don't. there is no third option. there is no way to helmet your way out of these roads

edit- but yes, death to cars. i offer this as an olive branch to you, pfc

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Didn't read

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

rude

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

As we can see, though, 'protective equipment' like a crosswalk absolutely does not protect people; paint is not protection. And I'm pretty clearly not drawing an equivalence between walking and cycling per se but rather between the danger you're exposed to as a pedestrian or cyclist, and that danger is not by any means a false equivalence based on how many cyclists and pedestrians end up dead or disabled every year.

So we can both see the absurdity of telling pedestrians to wear helmets, but the absurdity of telling cyclists to wear helmets is a little fuzzier. Like I said earlier, I wear a helmet on pretty much every trip I take by bike. But I do so knowing that not only is a styrofoam hat not the solution, on a societal level our love of helmets - and telling cyclists to wear them - is part of the problem. You see it every time a report about a dead cyclist notes whether or not they were wearing a helmet, calls it an accident, absolves the driver, and includes basically no other details about anything anyone else was doing. If we could just get a few more people to wear helmets, things would be better.

except, uh, here's the end result of an international experiment to see whether haranguing people about helmets or building safe streets is more effective at preventing deaths

check out those helmet rates, USA number one baby. awooo

I'm sure you and I don't disagree about safe streets because here we are in this thread, but that's why I was saying it's good to distinguish between helmets as a piece of safety equipment which might help you and helmets as the thing that every cop reaches for when they explain why a cyclist just got turned into a red mist by a driver. the choice is between a traffic system that separates different types of traffic and slows drivers on the one hand, and a system where cyclists get hit all the time and a few get lucky because the specifics of their crash meant the helmet saved them but most don't. there is no third option. there is no way to helmet your way out of these roads

edit- but yes, death to cars. i offer this as an olive branch to you, pfc
Looks like a mental health problem to me.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

This guy has a bunch of long videos of rides in the netherlands on his channel that give a good idea of what's going on there:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC67YlPrRvsO117gFDM7UePg

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I'm lobbying my city council to install helmet rental kiosks at all crosswalks.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My startup is deploying an ad-hoc helmet rental system where we scatter a bunch of helmets on the ground around your city, then when you need one you just pick it up and rent it using an app on your phone. When you are done you can leave it for the next person anywhere that is convenient. We use gig-economy methods to get cracked or bloodied helmets picked up at night.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Boywhiz88 posted:

EDIT: can we change the subtitle to "CARS KILL KIDS"

cool

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

withak posted:

I wonder if the dumpster in question was like a block away, or just in the alley out back?

There's one dumpster in the block mentioned in the article, and the furthest apartment is about 350ft away from that dumpster.

Dumpster is at the 0ft point.

So yeah, killed her kid to save a walk that was at most 1.5 blocks round trip.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Wow and now ableism too

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol @ doing osint itt

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

I love the wording, like they had a congenial sports match where you can only expect a winner and a loser

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Doesn't even say the pedestrian went to the hospital, just 'person' like maybe it was the driver or something. Perhaps this time it's the pedestrian who won this round.

and im sorry but looking at this fire truck and do you guys have a suburb called 'tube city' or something

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
McKeesport's business for like a hundred years was steel pipe so a bunch of poo poo there is "Tube City X"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Wow and now ableism too

lol dude i know youre joking but these kinds of sentiments but real drive me bonkers and they are very common among my colleagues

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/modacitylife/status/1536120098272038913?s=20&t=upq6jr5PqB7tMe-z8A1Ifg

None of us can really imagine cars ever staging a comeback

https://twitter.com/modacitylife/status/1536127838834794498?s=20&t=6kfZT_jiZzCWGtabjgKntA

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
its also victim blaming fyi. welcumm to cancel jail mf

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Doesn't even say the pedestrian went to the hospital, just 'person' like maybe it was the driver or something. Perhaps this time it's the pedestrian who won this round.

When the car hit the pedestrian, the pedestrian flipped over the front hood, and the pedestrian's feet went through the driver's side window, where the pedestrian then kicked the driver to death. Like a hitting a deer.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

When the car hit the pedestrian, the pedestrian flipped over the front hood, and the pedestrian's feet went through the driver's side window, where the pedestrian then kicked the driver to death. Like a hitting a deer.

drivers might be slightly more careful if this was how it worked in real life

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

it's kinda funny that these cheap little electric shuttles 100% solve for the "why do you hate the elderly and disabled" issue

my parents aren't even that old, but i would kill for a little shuttle to drive them around rather than them driving themselves. the nanosecond my dad turned 60 he started driving like a maniac

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/Liv_Agar/status/1536172283085168641?s=20&t=6kfZT_jiZzCWGtabjgKntA

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Lol

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

I love the wording, like they had a congenial sports match where you can only expect a winner and a loser

This goes down a bit different in Texas. When I approach a cross walk, I always make sure to look any drivers in the eye and place a hand on my Glock.

The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a car is a good guy with a gun.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I am deeply envious of the belchers, unironically. If that apartment had a second bathroom it'd be perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

lol @ ppl making up exotic cities for their D&D campaigns and saying they're car free