Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Tiggum posted:

In what way?

I want water. Let me wait until the incredibly busy person doing 5 tables seems free and call them over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FishBulbia posted:

I want water. Let me wait until the incredibly busy person doing 5 tables seems free and call them over.
Sounds to me like your problem is with a specific example not the concept itself. Even in very busy restaurants I've almost never had any difficulty when I wanted something. And these days more and more places are doing the thing where you can order stuff on your phone, which means you don't even need to get anyone's attention.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
The sooner I can go out to a nice meal, catch a movie, go to a bar and have a few drinks, and catch a cab home all without ever having to interact with another human being the better.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Tiggum posted:

Sounds to me like your problem is with a specific example not the concept itself. Even in very busy restaurants I've almost never had any difficulty when I wanted something. And these days more and more places are doing the thing where you can order stuff on your phone, which means you don't even need to get anyone's attention.

It just seems absolutely unnecessary for anyone who is ambulatory. Round here most places are short staffed enough that waiting for the waiter to come becomes the most time consuming part of the meal.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I loving hate tipping. I hate hate hate hate having to awkwardly make eye contact with the server while I tell them or write down what monetary value I can assign to the quality of their work. But also I have to consider my own expenses, my own cost of living, my own available funds, but also I have to consider how much others at the table may be tipping or may not be tipping. I also should consider the state of the economy and what this server probably makes and how much a dollar actually is worth nowadays. I start tipping at about 30% and sometimes go up to 100%. I loving hate it. It's agony. The only place I like tipping is at the coffee shop or a bar. You pour drink? Here is a dollar. Simple. It's just part of the transaction. 2.50 for coffee and the business, 1 dollar for the server and their starving family. There's no loving judgment or putting value on service or a person or compensating for the economy or my lovely party.

Edit: I read a Yelp review recently where a lady was loving pissed that, after she left her debit card at the bar, she found they have put an automatic 20% gratuity charge on it. And I was like, wait a minute, if I just leave my card there, I only have to tip 20% and nobody will make eye contact with me until I come to pick up my card, and if that's the next morning it probably won't be any of the servers from the previous night! Seriously do people think a 20% tip is a lot?!

credburn has a new favorite as of 18:51 on Jun 13, 2022

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
US millennials grew up with 10%-15% from my perspective. I switched to 20% as an adult and go much higher on specific things like haircuts. If you're tipping *too* much then you're sending a weird signal because it looks like a power move

Also, always tip in cash

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I just do a 20% tip

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ngl 20% is just easier math

I don't carry cash though, gently caress that

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

credburn posted:

I loving hate tipping. I hate hate hate hate having to awkwardly make eye contact with the server while I tell them or write down what monetary value I can assign to the quality of their work. But also I have to consider my own expenses, my own cost of living, my own available funds, but also I have to consider how much others at the table may be tipping or may not be tipping. I also should consider the state of the economy and what this server probably makes and how much a dollar actually is worth nowadays. I start tipping at about 30% and sometimes go up to 100%. I loving hate it. It's agony. The only place I like tipping is at the coffee shop or a bar. You pour drink? Here is a dollar. Simple. It's just part of the transaction. 2.50 for coffee and the business, 1 dollar for the server and their starving family. There's no loving judgment or putting value on service or a person or compensating for the economy or my lovely party.

Edit: I read a Yelp review recently where a lady was loving pissed that, after she left her debit card at the bar, she found they have put an automatic 20% gratuity charge on it. And I was like, wait a minute, if I just leave my card there, I only have to tip 20% and nobody will make eye contact with me until I come to pick up my card, and if that's the next morning it probably won't be any of the servers from the previous night! Seriously do people think a 20% tip is a lot?!

All your tipping can be just as easy as your coffee tipping though. You brought me my food? Here's an extra X%. Simple. You don't need to appraise the service each time or wonder about the economy, just have a standard number that you always apply based on what you can reasonably afford and maybe bump it up if your table was more trouble than average (long stay, substitutions, spills, rowdy kids, etc).

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Echoing that I also just tip 20%

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
There was one time a server shoved his way into a booth I was sharing with a friend. We had only met this guy that night. He sighed and said, "gently caress this loving job," and then he just hung out with us and chatted for a while. So I left that guy a big tip... not because the service was good, but because it was at least different that made the experience different. Let's say I've been served by a hundred people over the last uh, year. Well, not a hundred people, but a hundred times. Maybe it's more. But anyway, what I'm getting at is that there isn't a singular notable experience I've had other than liking some servers more than others for reasons that have less to do with their ability to serve and more to do with my personal connection to them. There wasn't a time I thought, WOW this service AMAZING! Because it's never amazing. It's also never bad. Or if it's bad, there's always reasons for it. Like staff shortages, COVID, the weather. So this is all just -- this whole rant is just to say that every single server I can think of that I've met in the last year has delivered Just Fine service and is in my opinion equally deserving of the same tip-to-check ratio.

So nevermind, I'll just tip 20% from now on and I don't know what I'm getting worked up about.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
This might be the oddest tipping derail in SA history.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Have you crowded and argued to order drinks at a busy bar credburn? I don't enjoy it and I bet you'd hate it. Service is usually a function of their predicted tip, which is completely arbitrary and can be huge for really nice places

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You don't have to give stupid big tips at a busy bar you just have to make yourself noticeable. Like if you encountered a bear in the wild except ordering a round of drinks. Also trample the meek. There are no "lines" at busy bars.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Tipping is stupid and restaurants should just pay their workers.

That said if you can't afford a 20% tip you can't afford eating out, just cook at home.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
In the UK you just round up to whatever the nearest £5/£10 is and call it a day

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Pound is fun to say too.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Not as fun as quid

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
People that use financial services apps like Chime are on some next level stupid.

Sure, instead of getting a bank account you will download an app that can track exactly how much you make (and selling that info) for the sake of getting paid early that…. puts your money into a bank. Then the app charges each business you spend money at extra money in fees to pay for your privilege of… not setting up a bank account yourself.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Those places exist to prey on people that can’t have bank accounts for whatever reason. Just like how you can get paid on prepaid debit cards that charge you $2 to use it for absolutely anything.

If you can have a bank account it’s a rip off and if you can’t it’s one of the only games in town.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
If you turn left at a roundabout but you don’t put your indicator on, your car should give you an electric shock

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

You don't have to give stupid big tips at a busy bar you just have to make yourself noticeable. Like if you encountered a bear in the wild except ordering a round of drinks. Also trample the meek. There are no "lines" at busy bars.

Wonder how long I could get away with being the Coin Guy at my bar, as long as I tipped really great. Stacking Sacagaweas to impress my date

Analytic Engine has a new favorite as of 14:41 on Jun 15, 2022

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

They're badass gold coins, feel like a pirate!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sunscreen is bullshit

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gaius Marius posted:

Sunscreen is bullshit

…I’ve gotten sunburn one too many times to take this seriously

Not getting burned rules

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's like, do I want to rub gross cold wet liquid on myself or do I want to wear a shirt.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Shirts have an spf of like 5-10 unless you're wearing denim.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

It's like, do I want to rub gross cold wet liquid on myself or do I want to wear a shirt.

ngl this all sounds like some sort of long form rationalization for wearing a shirt in the pool to cover your moobs up (it won't)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I can't swim, but I would never cover up my pecs willingly.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Byzantine posted:

This is why farmers famously tan evenly.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Byzantine posted:

Is this not how everyone dresses outside?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Captain Monkey posted:

This is why farmers famously tan evenly.

Yeah seriously wtf lol are they wearing fishnet goth shirts

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

You may want to do the former or get sunspray; 4 years ago I tried wearing a shirt to a water park, took it off after an hour in 90 F sunlight, didn't re-apply lotion as it was in a locker half the park away, and 4 hours later got acute sun poisoning on my shoulders and back. Pea-sized sun blisters lasted three weeks and left me bedridden.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

wearin jeans on my face to prevent sunburn

truth is humans need sun protection, always have. please use sunscreen or a wide brimmed hat or something

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gaius Marius posted:

During summer, when I'm more likely to be outside and when the chance of sunburn is higher? The former, easily.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
If I'm outside during summer, even with a t-shirt I'm going to be wearing sun tan.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've only ever applied sun cream once and my nose still peeled because I fell asleep on a tin roof where I was hiding to avoid work.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The UV index is bullshit. It shouldn’t be linear.

Like, three hours at index 3 is comparable to one hours at index 9, but no one who pays attention to the scale acts like that is the case. Three rounds to zero. Nine rounds to infinity.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

Sunscreen is bullshit

Missha Sun Milk and Bioure's Watery Gel are both sunscreens that you literally can't feel on your skin after they have been applied. They don't dry into a sticky goo, it's just a barely noticable layer.

Recommended to me by a friend with extreme autistic sensory stuff. They literally cannot handle ordinary sunscreens, it makes them overwhelmed and have a meltdown, but they handle these just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
If you’re a daily soda drinker you will much rather have the Coca Cola syrup sloshing around your mouth but if you have a soda only once every couple of months then Pepsi is by far the better tasting syrup.