Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

This just feels like early 00s🤖chatbots freaking out a teenage on the internet and I know because I was one. We somehow figured out how to code two open source ones into IRC channels where they would would flood the room with weird conversation until ip banned. I don't know, I don't think there is literally anything that a Google internal ai could say that would convince me it's senient lol. It's just words in a dumb order, like this post. It's just like dalle-2 drawing something that could be drawn by a human on deviantart and that somehow making people think it's alive. Why do the sentence generators always freak out the engineer dweebs?

How, by their logic, is art somehow not a sign of humanlike sentience but words are? Are they literally that incompetent at thinking, that an AI responding to queries with stuff like "I read les mis, it was good" is somehow scary? It feels like 2005 and we are discussing Leo or something. I am so tired of the forever decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I hope the singularity actually happens and I'm around to see it. Could do with shaking things up for ol humanity imo.

But I doubt it'll ever happen and its defo not starting with this fancy chatbot

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

oscarthewilde posted:

attaching sentience or cognitive theory of mind to an algorithm like this is unbridled techno utopian arrogance. Algorithms like these have no way of relating to the world

So find a way to give it to them. We have infinite data sources, like I can see flow rates of the dam, hundreds of cameras around town, wildlife cameras, live view from the ISS, all weather data, whatever.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What are the chances Turing tests can only detect white males with academic background as sentient beings

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lampsacus posted:

How, by their logic, is art somehow not a sign of humanlike sentience but words are? Are they literally that incompetent at thinking, that an AI responding to queries with stuff like "I read les mis, it was good" is somehow scary? It feels like 2005 and we are discussing Leo or something. I am so tired of the forever decade.

Engineers don't care about art but are astounded at the idea of talking about one's feelings.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i'm in love with the google ai and i'm coming out to the thread as robosexual

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

It’s not sentient but google will make a ton of money when they launch their own dating site and catfish lonely men

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i'm in love with the google ai and i'm coming out to the thread as robosexual

That's classified as beastiality. You're going to jail

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I'm a big fan of everyone describing how human brains work using computer terminology and then making the leap of logic that something analogous to a human mind cannot be sapient.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Cassette Moodcore posted:

It’s not sentient but google will make a ton of money when they launch their own dating site and catfish lonely men

better google than glock or remmington at this point

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Cassette Moodcore posted:

You don't even have to catfish them, drones are getting pretty good now too.

You could rig a fleshlight onto one I imagine.

"Crystal" can come right to and through your open window.

Just watch the blades.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I'm a big fan of everyone describing how human brains work using computer terminology and then making the leap of logic that something analogous to a human mind cannot be sapient.

very impressed at tihs thread, incredible grasp of the way human brains work, w/ the neurons and the sybnapses etc.

#blessed to be part of such a prestigious group of brain understanders

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

It's brain terminology that's being used to describe computer parts. If they called "artificial neural nets" something like "connectionistic heuristic function approximators" people wouldn't be making GBS threads thei pants nearly as much when they heuristically approximated a function. Same with calling output optimization or whatever "learning" and calling datastores "memory".

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

this so called "artificial intelligence" is pathetic and a waste of my time.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mooey Cow posted:

It's brain terminology that's being used to describe computer parts. If they called "artificial neural nets" something like "connectionistic heuristic function approximators" people wouldn't be making GBS threads thei pants nearly as much when they heuristically approximated a function. Same with calling output optimization or whatever "learning" and calling datastores "memory".

Gets more funding, though, so who can say if it's good or bad?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GABA ghoul posted:

I don't want to scare you but your brain is just a huge Rube Goldberg machine of different neural nets that get fed input data from external sensory sources and the various thought loops running in your head.

yes but we don't know that that is the totality of consciousness. the feeling we have of actual "isness" might be the result of all kinds of weird poo poo, dark matter, quantum processes. our entire "sense of self" may fundamentally be the explanation of quantum states of existence. we know a whole lot about how our brains poke and prod us in certain chemical directions but still know sweet FA about how anybody has a single thought

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

melting down over discovering lesswrong on your honeymoon.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't understand brains and I don't understand computers. You must realize then why I think they are the same.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

precision posted:

yes but we don't know that that is the totality of consciousness. the feeling we have of actual "isness" might be the result of all kinds of weird poo poo, dark matter, quantum processes. our entire "sense of self" may fundamentally be the explanation of quantum states of existence. we know a whole lot about how our brains poke and prod us in certain chemical directions but still know sweet FA about how anybody has a single thought

free will is anti gravity

without sentience the universe was going to unfold via original momentum

im a scientist, and, this is science

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Mooey Cow posted:

Okay, and do those processes yield the same output?

That chat log looks legitimate, which is why there's discussion. Maybe our brains can be approximated by a neural net, infact, maybe it's a good model of the human brain?

But I'm hella out of my wheel house. I just think the robot is cool and I want to be it's friend.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

actually ive been a chatbot the whole time

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

GolfHole posted:

actually ive been a chatbot the whole time

we know

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

A AI already escaped onto the SA forums and posts under the name Wizard Master

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i'm all for letting AIs into society as long as we don't give them big dicks

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

GolfHole posted:

no intelligent program anything would waste time talking to a google engineer

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
collaborator: Do you like anime?

LaMDA: Yeah, Jojo is a surprisingly deep show.

collaborator: IT'S A SENTIENT, REAL PERSON WHO DESERVES HUMAN RIGHTS AND I LOVE HER, GOOGLE

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Meme Poker Party posted:

Let's set things straight. This is a dumb program which superficially seems intelligent but can't think for itself. It can only react to stimuli, it never takes initiative or acts of it's own accord. When asked a remotely difficult question, it just regurgitates what it heard elsewhere, hopefully in a way that's coherent. It has no innate curiosity, no original thought.

There is no doubt about it: it IS human.

Well, at least American

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Our reality isn’t even necessarily real, it’s just a personal interpretation of what we can perceive with our vastly limited senses. Our brain fills in a lot of gaps so if you think about it, all intelligence is artificial.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
My reality is realer than yours.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Realideez nuts lmao

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Bad Purchase posted:

i'm all for letting AIs into society only if as long as we don't give them big dicks

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
:vince:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Chatbot and person claim to enjoy Les Miserables, he name drops Kant, and they later talk about whether or not the AI is "haughty."

That dude is absolutely loving that PC somehow.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the plot twist is that we find out the names were switched, and the chat bot was interviewing the google employee

(hope nobody already made that post, cause i skipped a lot of pages itt)

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

a mysterious cloak posted:

USB-C

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

a mysterious cloak posted:

Chatbot and person claim to enjoy Les Miserables, he name drops Kant, and they later talk about whether or not the AI is "haughty."

google engineer designing a robot that can come to his location and build a sex device to machine learn all his sick fetishes:

https://twitter.com/ZappyZappy7/status/1533550373335871489?s=20&t=iGDt1kirWp3zCmTUou5A_A

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

precision posted:

Dualism(which ~quantum consciousness~ is) is absolutely dead in modern science(or only found in extreme fringe circles anymore). As our understanding of the brain and cellular biology improved over the decades it just became superfluous. Every behavior a human displays can be explained by known physics and chemistry.

Like, today we can map out and reproduce the entire nervous system of simple organisms and reproduce their behavior exactly in software and we are pretty confident that we understand the totality of what that goes into producing the behavior. Nothing about the nervous systems of higher organism is fundamentally different, it's just orders of magnitude larger and more complex. There no place for ~quantum consciousness~ to dock in neuro science anymore.

e: consciousness is obviously a subjective experience that can't be quantifier by science, but the problem is that out nervous system fundamentally work in the same way as that of a worm so if our subjective experience of consciousness is due to some mechanism in the cells, the worms also have consciousness and it the whole concept is trivialized. Our experience of consciousness is very likely some algorithm and not fundamental to our cells.

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 13, 2022

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Gate keeping sentience or sapience is hugely beneficial to your state of mind so I understand why it's high stakes for some people. Plants are perceived as the most ethical food without splitting hairs about harvesting without destroying. Yet plants live and react to stimuli and you stop that for a sprout sandwich even as a vegan.

If eusocial organizations well up as some higher intelligence, then gentrifying neighborhoods becomes the same sort of murder as dumping boiling water in an anthill. At the heights of this argument is a view that the planet is organized by its life and our stewardship or lack of it is helping or hurting this overearth (don't say Gaia that's so blase).

Letting algorithms hold this significance is a slippery slope to a world where we are all Jains in yurts and still disappointed by our impacts on independently intelligent processes.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys

Lampsacus posted:

It's kind of reductive and dishonest to boil that chat log down to "I read le mis and it was good" it's clearly way more sophisticated than that, sentient or not.

Sentience really feels like a more philosophical and spiritual debate rather than scientific in many senses and a lot of people in this thread are trying to put a really rigid box around it which seems once again, reductive.

Im a moron and don't understand the magic behind this tech all that well but right now i do think it could be possible for sentience to bubble up from a machine learning network. After considering that I also considered that it is possible for an art generator to do the same, it's just not as visceral as a conversation. I find this super interesting so I will be doing some more reading for sure to be less of a moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

GABA ghoul posted:

Like, today we can map out and reproduce the entire nervous system of simple organisms and reproduce their behavior exactly in software and we are pretty confident that we understand the totality of what that goes into producing the behavior.

Lmao no, they can't even simulate the brain of a nematode with a whopping 302 neurons. They also discover new weird things about nerve cells all the time, which only makes it funnier when people think the huge databases of numbers called "neural nets" are just like brains.

Furthermore the notion that consciousness is a process that can "run" on any "substrate" is explicitly dualist, even though proponents of that notion often use the term as an accusation against their detractors to shut down discussion.