Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I mean a lot of these objections feel kind of boutiquey, I don’t care if it’s the real thing, a clone, works for games I don’t intend to play etc as long as my lowest common denominator end user desires are fulfilled. I’ll be pissed if I can’t save my games though.

Anyway I just bought an R4 clone thing that is obviously not the real thing but has five stars and the only complaints are about it not being durable - I’ll probably never remove it from the DS since I only play it once every few months since getting bored with Pokémon crystal - so that seems a-okay to me. If it doesn’t work I will post in here so people can call me a luddite rube cretin

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The save issue is that saves (especially Pokémon saves) tend to frequently corrupt on some of the R4 variants. The flash cart's firmware has to patch the save handling, and some of them are not good at it.

The things you can do are "keep frequent backups" or "get a good cart", at least without TwilightMenu.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

The save issue is that saves (especially Pokémon saves) tend to frequently corrupt on some of the R4 variants. The flash cart's firmware has to patch the save handling, and some of them are not good at it.

The things you can do are "keep frequent backups" or "get a good cart", at least without TwilightMenu.

I appreciate the heads up, I’ll look into how backing them up works just to be on the safe side

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Frog Act posted:

I appreciate the heads up, I’ll look into how backing them up works just to be on the safe side

Make sure you don't fall for the trap of having two files on the same device, the R4's have a track record of corrupting the fat.

I've just copied everything off the SD card into a folder on a PC via a card reader on a schedule.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If you have to copy things back and forth on an SD card anyway seems like you might as well hack the thing

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

Make sure you don't fall for the trap of having two files on the same device, the R4's have a track record of corrupting the fat.

I've just copied everything off the SD card into a folder on a PC via a card reader on a schedule.

Thanks. Is that just a matter of being scrupulous with copying and pasting, mostly? I do have access to a laptop with an SD card reader so I don’t have to buy one to just copy and paste but to actually mod it I will, as I’d like to use my desktop for anything complicated.

hatty posted:

If you have to copy things back and forth on an SD card anyway seems like you might as well hack the thing

Yeah I’ll have to concede it seems like there’s basically no reason not to other than time. It does sound like it makes the DS a much more useful system to have around as opposed to the way I use it now, which is basically never

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Frog Act posted:

Thanks. Is that just a matter of being scrupulous with copying and pasting, mostly? I do have access to a laptop with an SD card reader so I don’t have to buy one to just copy and paste but to actually mod it I will, as I’d like to use my desktop for anything complicated.

Yup, nothing special about it. Just copy the files to a safe location.

When the SD card bites the dust, buy a new 32gb one (basically any genuine Samsung or Kingston is fine), format it with the SD Association's formatter, copy the files back, and it should just work.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The most complicated part of hacking the 3DS is running seedminer and that's an automated process anyway. The rest is simply copying files to your SD card. I did the whole process on a Surface tablet.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Heath posted:

Are there any "hidden gem" 3DS games to be aware of, preferably available in physical format? I've been beefing up my collection since the eShop's demise is imminent. I've got a couple of things, mostly RPGs, Ever Oasis, the Kirby games (minus Extra Epic Yarn which is evidently insanely expensive for some reason).

Extra Epic Yarn is expensive now? I grabbed it at the end of 3DS games being stocked at regular retail stores and I was just getting anything that seemed like it could be good.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Shiroc posted:

Extra Epic Yarn is expensive now? I grabbed it at the end of 3DS games being stocked at regular retail stores and I was just getting anything that seemed like it could be good.

Seems like it jumped recently. I was seeing sales on Mercari as recent as February for 30-40 bucks. Regularly over 100 now.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Wild, maybe because the new Switch Kirby boosted interest in Kirby generally?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Might've also been the imminent 3DS eshop shutdown.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bonny Jock Lemon posted:

for real, it's super easy. I did it and I'm stupid as poo poo

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Shiroc posted:

Wild, maybe because the new Switch Kirby boosted interest in Kirby generally?

Not sure. The other Kirby games have also jumped, but weirdly they're still available brand new on Amazon for less than used copies are going for on eBay. It's very strange. I got Triple Deluxe and Robobot off Amazon just last week.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

look man I'm playing super mario rpg in 2022 and you expect me to be QUIET about it???

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Heath posted:

Seems like it jumped recently. I was seeing sales on Mercari as recent as February for 30-40 bucks. Regularly over 100 now.
That's just inflation.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Probably the best version of Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney 4 exists as 3DSware. There was actually a 40-70% off sale off every Ace Attorney game on 3DS earlier this week, so I would expect sales from time to time going forward

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Do the US version of roms include Japanese language if my DS is Japanese? Or do I need to use the JP roms to play the Japanese version?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

gay for gacha posted:

Do the US version of roms include Japanese language if my DS is Japanese? Or do I need to use the JP roms to play the Japanese version?

Generally the latter.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

gay for gacha posted:

I think some 3DS games (mostly first-party games IIRC) read the language your system menu is set to and use that to set the game's text/audio language, but DS games won't. And AFAIK, it reads the actual language you have the system menus in, not the region you have set or the model/SKU of your 3DS when deciding, so if your system menu is in English it won't matter if your 3DS was actually made in Japan.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Spellman posted:

Probably the best version of Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney 4 exists as 3DSware. There was actually a 40-70% off sale off every Ace Attorney game on 3DS earlier this week, so I would expect sales from time to time going forward

Is this the only way to get it? I have the DS original one.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Heath posted:

Is this the only way to get it? I have the DS original one.
There are also Android and iOS ports, dunno if they implement the stuff from the 3DS release though. I don't exactly remember what was new in the 3DS release aside from a menu setting that let you skip text you hadn't read yet. There weren't any new cases though.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

well poo poo, Dragon Quest 8 keeps crashing. I'm at Trodain Castle which about 12 hours in, I've had no issues before this but it always happens at this location. I read back a few pages and PNY cards got specifically called out as being poo poo, and since the card in my 2DS is a 64gb PNY microSD, I'm guessing that's the culprit.

So now I'll guess I will have to wait for my new sdcard, a Kingston HighEndurance to arrive before I get to copy about 58gb back and forth on my USB2 sdcard reader. Hopefully the new card isn't also garbage.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Be sure to come back and report how long it took to transfer everything over. I think I had around 20GB when I did mine and it took a few hours.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I've been playing Pokemon Heartgold on that counterfeit R4 cart I bought and I'm happy to report it's been great. Works really well and doesn't seem to have any issues (crossing my fingers it stays that way). I'm also starting to see why people like this one so much, the last game I played on my DS was about 15 hours of Crystal before I got annoyed with QOL things like pokemon storage, getting around, interacting with menus, etc etc, all of which Heartgold solves in various clever ways. It's also a nice mixture of Pokemon I recognize from playing the original games as a kid and new ones that are more fun than stupid.

The cart has a few other good games on it that I'm looking forward to playing, like Final Fantasy 3, but for the most part it's baffling shovelware

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

There were lots of people with a DS and I imagine the cost of developing games for it were low. That has to be the explanation for the sheer amount of (physical!) releases, most of which you wouldn't even consider spending a second on. There were like 3 titles based on a quiz show from my small country alone. I wish I knew the details of how many units they ended up selling and what was the development cost/break-even point for those games.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 13, 2022

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Mierenneuker posted:

There were lots of people with a DS and I imagine the cost of developing games for it were low. That has to be the explanation for the sheer amount of (physical!) releases, most of which you wouldn't even consider spending a second on. There were like 3 titles based on a quiz show from my small country alone. I wish I knew the details of how many units they ended up selling and what was the development cost/break-even point for those games.

I saw this video earlier today with footage of every released DS games. There was almost 4000 games released and randomly clicking on the timelines has like a 90% of getting you the most lovely shovelware you've never heard of before.
In terms of ratio of good to abysmal garbage games, I guess only the Wii comes close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MENS_6GJlHg&t=3352s

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think PS2 has everything beat in shovelware still. Both it and Wii are close.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The DS has some particularly niche shovelware, like a game that's just 100 public domain books you can read on a DS screen

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Mierenneuker posted:

The DS didn't have a digital distribution system so every piece of shovelware got printed onto cheap flash ROM.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Whizzing Wizard posted:

well poo poo, Dragon Quest 8 keeps crashing. I'm at Trodain Castle which about 12 hours in, I've had no issues before this but it always happens at this location. I read back a few pages and PNY cards got specifically called out as being poo poo, and since the card in my 2DS is a 64gb PNY microSD, I'm guessing that's the culprit.

So now I'll guess I will have to wait for my new sdcard, a Kingston HighEndurance to arrive before I get to copy about 58gb back and forth on my USB2 sdcard reader. Hopefully the new card isn't also garbage.

Use Godmode9 to format the new card before doing anything else, too.

Before doing that poo poo I do an overnight copy of the old data to somewhere safe.

A glance at HighEndurance says it's good, though not necessarily better than Canvas Select. Try injecting Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories to get a quick glance at how the card works. (Chain of Memories will start tearing and lagging real obviously if the card settings aren't good.)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Frog Act posted:

The cart has a few other good games on it that I'm looking forward to playing, like Final Fantasy 3, but for the most part it's baffling shovelware
Speaking as someone who owns a cart of the DS remake of FF3, uh, "good" is definitely overestimating its quality by a bit. Unless you've already played the game and know you like it, maybe don't go in expecting too much.

"We can only render three enemies on screen at one time when the NES version of the game could handle nine enemies in an encounter. Let's triple all enemy stats, that's just like having nine enemies, right?"

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah if you want to experience FF3 the pixel remaster is the way to go. Great version of the game in every respect.

Edit: I'm slowly (re)building my 3DS and DS stuff. I sold a couple of DS games that I regret having gotten rid of (namely Contact, Theresia, Knights in the Nightmare, and Solatorobo on DS, although I got like 300 dollars for that one so I can't complain too much.) I just picked up the last two SMT games I'm missing, Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker and SMT4 Apocalypse -- there's a guy on eBay selling what looks like new old stock or possibly repacks for cheaper than used copies are going for. I think they're the last-off-the-line prints so they got the lovely outer wrapping. What I'm finding that's surprising is how ... Few? 3DS games there really are (in physical format, anyway), especially if you're like me and don't care about Pokemon or Fire Emblem. I don't think it will take much to make what is for me a "complete" 3DS collection. I'm surprised how much I like this thing since I've had one since launch but actually played very little on it until recently. I think I put more time in Dragon Quest VII than anything else.

Heath fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 14, 2022

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

Speaking as someone who owns a cart of the DS remake of FF3, uh, "good" is definitely overestimating its quality by a bit. Unless you've already played the game and know you like it, maybe don't go in expecting too much.

"We can only render three enemies on screen at one time when the NES version of the game could handle nine enemies in an encounter. Let's triple all enemy stats, that's just like having nine enemies, right?"

I never played original Final Fantasy III, so this did not cross my mind. Seems like a big change from the original

Game was pretty fun for a DS title, for its time. I appreciate the crunchy pixel fonts and old school interface

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Imo it's incredibly grindy, and generally once I'd grinded up enough to handle the random encounters in an area the boss was a piece of cake, because those were mostly solo encounters in the original and thus didn't have their stats adjusted much.

I've beaten all but two of the DS games I own; FF3 and the original Rune Factory. The incredible grind of FF3 just completely killed my interest in the game once I got to the underground(? Might have been underwater? It's been a while.) area.

The font in the game looks good though, I use it in all of the Pixel Remasters except FF6 where I use the Chicago font used in the original SNES release for nostalgia purposes.

If your flashcard has cheat functionality turning up exp gain by like 2x-4x might make the game significantly better, but playing it stock on a real cart was suffering.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 14, 2022

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think PS2 has everything beat in shovelware still. Both it and Wii are close.

I'm not so sure. PS2 had plenty of shovelware games. DS had shovelware everything, including tarot reading and cooking books.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That stuff has more value arguably than shovelware games. Especially in a pre-iPhone world.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I’m buying Sushi Striker at a regular store tonight

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I think DQVIII is just a particularly touchy game in general. My saves corrupted twice. This was on the gateway flashcard, but I don't remember it ever happening with any other games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

well the good news is transferring the data was fairly quick and painless on account of this new USB3 sdcard reader I got.

The bad news is the game crashed at the same spot...

I formatted the card with godmode9 using the default settings.