Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The other day I was at the comic shop and I mentioned to the comic shop employee that I had really enjoyed House of X but wasn't sure what to read after it because so many series spun out of that event. He said "Yeah it's tough, there's a lot of X-Men stuff" And that was the end of the conversation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think the consensus was definitely don't read Fallen Angels but check out the rest. Fallen Angels was just teenage angst violence as i recall.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

The other day I was at the comic shop and I mentioned to the comic shop employee that I had really enjoyed House of X but wasn't sure what to read after it because so many series spun out of that event. He said "Yeah it's tough, there's a lot of X-Men stuff" And that was the end of the conversation

Well he's not wrong...

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Hellions is really the title to read. Just stellar.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Boxman posted:

I'm diving into the Krakoan era of X-men for the first time. After House/Powers, there's still the little guide explaining the release order of all the x-books. Is there any narrative reason for me to jump between the different series, or can I just plow through each until I run into what I assume will be "NEXT MONTH: [CROSSOVER]" in each book?

There’s a small amount of narrative interplay re:the listed reading orders, but it falls off after a while. If you’re gonna read absolutely everything it can be worth the trouble, but it’s not really a big deal.

If you’re trying to limit your series picks: Hellions, X-Men, New Mutants, and Marauders are the standouts in about that order.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Harold Fjord posted:

I think the consensus was definitely don't read Fallen Angels but check out the rest. Fallen Angels was just teenage angst violence as i recall.

That, Children of the Atom (I thought it was okay at best) and X-Corp.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Skwirl posted:

The books play into each other but until X of Swords they are pretty much their own thing, and they continue to be mostly their own thing after that. X of Swords you need to read everything in the order suggested, but before and after that you don't need to worry about it.

Neat, thanks!

Open Marriage Night posted:

What books are you interested in so far?

Harold Fjord posted:

I just read the first issues of X-men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, and Fallen Angels, and yeah that last one was the worst of the bunch. I'll probably drop off that and Excalibur because I never got a hook into Psylocke/Betsy/Captain Britain. I have very little connection with the New Mutants, but Sunspot won me over, just like he did when he was an Avenger. The art's also solid.

Hellions isn't in the roadmap at the end of the issues, so I would've missed it. Thanks for the pointers, I'll add it to the list.

Gripweed posted:

Is there another corner of comic book continuity that's as fucky as X-men's? Multiple possible timelines, a touch of cosmic via the Shi'ar and the Starjammers, a massive rogues gallery with, at first blush, very similar schticks (I read the short run of Uncanny and lol'ed when, like, 4 indistinguishable groups of anti-mutant para-military forces showed up at the ruins of the mansion to try to kill Scott).

I guess how much it sprawls is a function of the fact that "x-men" is the home of a lot of A-list characters. Like, Avengers and Justice League don't have to deal with some of this because at least the big 3 usually have their own families of books, and the FF is, by its nature, tight knit, so they typically run together.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Boxman posted:

Hellions isn't in the roadmap at the end of the issues, so I would've missed it. Thanks for the pointers, I'll add it to the list.

There have been several waves of X comics, Hellions started a few months after the first wave.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think it has much to do with A list in so much as the X-men have a ton of books and 90% are team books.

So there is always going to be a lot there

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Boxman posted:

I'll probably drop off that and Excalibur because I never got a hook into Psylocke/Betsy/Captain Britain.

Excalibur is worth reading if you want a little more build up for X of Swords, since it sets the status quo for Otherworld and Apocalypse. That said, I read X of Swords before the earlier Excalibur issues yet didn't have any problems following along, so not necessary if it didn't catch your interest.

Boxman posted:

...a massive rogues gallery with, at first blush, very similar schticks (I read the short run of Uncanny and lol'ed when, like, 4 indistinguishable groups of anti-mutant para-military forces showed up at the ruins of the mansion to try to kill Scott).

They've simplified this bit at least in the Krakoa era by consolidating all the human supremacists under Orchis, which was a really smart choice. Helps focus what could have easily become an overly sprawling narrative.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Boxman posted:

Neat, thanks!

I just read the first issues of X-men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, and Fallen Angels, and yeah that last one was the worst of the bunch. I'll probably drop off that and Excalibur because I never got a hook into Psylocke/Betsy/Captain Britain. I have very little connection with the New Mutants, but Sunspot won me over, just like he did when he was an Avenger. The art's also solid.

Is there another corner of comic book continuity that's as fucky as X-men's? Multiple possible timelines, a touch of cosmic via the Shi'ar and the Starjammers, a massive rogues gallery with, at first blush, very similar schticks (I read the short run of Uncanny and lol'ed when, like, 4 indistinguishable groups of anti-mutant para-military forces showed up at the ruins of the mansion to try to kill Scott).

I guess how much it sprawls is a function of the fact that "x-men" is the home of a lot of A-list characters. Like, Avengers and Justice League don't have to deal with some of this because at least the big 3 usually have their own families of books, and the FF is, by its nature, tight knit, so they typically run together.

Teen Titans. What’s Donna Troy’s backstory? What age is Raven? Are Beast Boy and Cyborg still one person? All of these questions and more are deeply deeply confusing

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

Boxman posted:

You're still before the start of Hellions' publication. Its first issue is part of the X of Swords crossover. It'll appear in the roadmap once you get to it, and it's definitely one to read once you do.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

X of Swords is a great example of how to do 6 great issues, and 12 other ones to pad out an event. It is a pretty solid book if you really resonate with Excalibur for some reason but it is a chore otherwise.

I didn't hate it, but it is where the X-men relaunch behemoth began to shed some readers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the thing about x of swords is that it was billed as a fighting tournament (where everyone has swords). that's not actually what it was, at all.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the thing about x of swords is that it was billed as a fighting tournament (where everyone has swords). that's not actually what it was, at all.

Yeah, turns out it was Calvinball where everyone has swords. Which in my humble opinion ended up pretty entertaining, but I can't blame anyone being disappointed by the swerve.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

There are incredible moments, and an incredible one shot about Storm stealing a magic sword from Black Panther. Great issue, could have been totally cut.

Some of the Arrako stuff has some relevance to current stuff (X-men Red) but other than that...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Two issues of Wolverine fighting for a sword was also definitely unnecessary.

I like X of Swords overall, but I think the way it was structured (you could just read the books you were already reading without anything else but the specials and be largely fine) really hurt iy.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Two issues of Wolverine fighting for a sword was also definitely unnecessary.

I like X of Swords overall, but I think the way it was structured (you could just read the books you were already reading without anything else but the specials and be largely fine) really hurt iy.

I disagree with your last point. I think by the time they are on Otherworld in X of Swords: Stasis, all of the books save for Hellions become important chapters in the story. (And for the record, Hellions is as good in this as it is overall, it just doesn't really interact much with the central plot of the crossover.) I'm not sure how well the other books would read if you where to read just them through the event while ignoring the rest.

I do agree before that point issues vary widely in how important they are, the first issues of Wolverine and X-Force being prime examples of skippable content. Maurauders did something similar with Storm getting her sword, but it was a lot better written and didn't take up two issues. New Mutants did some good character set up for Cypher that pays off really well in the tournament, but isn't vital. Cable appears to be the same but also introduces what ends up being a surprisingly important plot point. The rest have some degree of importance in setting the stage.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/AIPTcomics/status/1536376094303178752?t=moNIH9cqluikCoGhLuasMA&s=19

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I honestly forgot Miracleman returned.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Endless Mike posted:

I honestly forgot Miracleman returned.

Somehow Miricleman has returned

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The only Miracleman I remember reading was the Alan Moore run, and I still remember the way that ended...what I'm getting at is, it makes no sense for Miracleman to be in the Marvel universe.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Miracle man vs Sentry

Is the Void part of all black the necro sword or did I confuse some things

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Is Miracle Man appearing anywhere but variant covers?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The X-man cometh posted:

Is Miracle Man appearing anywhere but variant covers?

He appeared at the end of the Timeless #1 one-shot.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gologle posted:

The only Miracleman I remember reading was the Alan Moore run, and I still remember the way that ended...what I'm getting at is, it makes no sense for Miracleman to be in the Marvel universe.

Yeah Miracleman is a great character, but he's a great character in service of a very specific story. If you take him out of that story and put him in the regular Marvel universe, what's even the point of him anymore? He becomes just another superhero. Less than most, actually, because so much of what made him unique is now siloed off in that old story.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Yeah Miracleman is a great character, but he's a great character in service of a very specific story.

It didn't stop them with Sentry and it won't stop them here.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't think they're gonna bring Miracleman into the 616.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I know absolutely nothing about Miracleman despite being a very old man, and every time I think I remember who he is I have to remind myself that no, that's actually Alan Moore's Animal Man.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
So I’m super late to the party obviously but I’m finally back into comics after years away and Marvel Unlimited and I just finished The Immortal Hulk. I know it’s been talked to death, but drat, what a great comic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nilbop posted:

I know absolutely nothing about Miracleman despite being a very old man, and every time I think I remember who he is I have to remind myself that no, that's actually Alan Moore's Animal Man.

You're thinking of Grant Morrison.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

You're thinking of Grant Morrison.

I believe they mean that Alan Moore is to Miracleman as Grant Morrison is to Animal Man. That being that both authors took mostly-forgotten superheroes and wrote crazy new genre-redefining poo poo with them.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Alan Grant, I'd just like to say, by the way. Whatta guy. Writing Dredd, Lobo, and Batman, now that's a Grant you can trust.

(Morrison also wrote at least two out of three of those, granted.)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I read Major X. As far as I can tell, the series exists in order to create another alternate future with another Summers descendant in it. Which is one of the driving creative forces behind the entire X franchise, so I have no complaints.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Conrad_Birdie posted:

So I’m super late to the party obviously but I’m finally back into comics after years away and Marvel Unlimited and I just finished The Immortal Hulk. I know it’s been talked to death, but drat, what a great comic.

Such a great run, and the one that solidified Al Ewing as a must read writer for me. Shame the artist ended up being such a terrible person.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Gripweed posted:

I read Major X [...] no complaints.

This is hosed up, Gripweed.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I don't think we talk enough about how it's also a relatively tight, self-contained 50 issues that you can hand to newcomers.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I especially loved the later series stuff comparing and contrasting the stories of the FF and Hulk. The type of heady comic analysis I truly appreciate. And neat that it was all done in-story

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Has there been an Immortal Hulk omnibus? Or like two ‘phone books’ with 25 issues apiece?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Has there been an Immortal Hulk omnibus? Or like two ‘phone books’ with 25 issues apiece?

It's mostly out of print, but I wouldn't be shocked by a Omnibus down the road... Unless they are gun shy about printing it after the uproar about the artist of the run being a piece of poo poo.

A huge shame.