Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

loving lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

tpink posted:

Can't even parody these people.

coiners are like the memes version of sovereign citizens. they make up all this language and get totally programmed by it, and they think it protects them from reality.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

PhazonLink posted:

but the moon is in space and space is up? god your as dumb as those females at NASA. let me tell you how space really works and how Musk is a real life ironman rick-

If it’s daytime where you are, the moon would be on the other side of the planet and therefore down. This makes crypto “to the moon” always a valid statement**

**accuracy based on geographical location

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

Having a dystopian vision where Crypto is the new money, and every time you go to the store for something you get micro deflated as a bait and switch, so like while you're at Kroger suddenly your net worth gets cut in half but you leave and it goes back up...so you end up having to pay double for poo poo.

It's the ultimate bait and switch because you didn't change the price, you just force the rube's money to get valuleless temporarily.

Yeah, I can never get over how volatile these prices are. Not just in exceptional circumstances like today, but over time.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Binance apparently has stopped withdrawals as well.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

We've officially hit sub $1-trillion

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Deptfordx posted:

Yeah, I can never get over how volatile these prices are. Not just in exceptional circumstances like today, but over time.

Waiting for the market to crash so i can afford bread again.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Boywhiz88 posted:

Binance apparently has stopped withdrawals as well.

Thank god that the system is decentralised and everyone involved knew what that word means

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1536385724693458944

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Lmao

Also

https://twitter.com/ahcastor/status/1536239432466063363?s=20&t=DsblQNcmGJjTMtZT-m2Ztw

Someone should get loving fired

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Bitcion has lost a fourth of its value….for the second time in two months. That impressive

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

At this point I'm thinking crypto is going to be ending up like the purposefully obvious scam emails in that you have a group of people that self-select for being credulous and easy to part with their money.

Doesn't make it right and we're going to see some absolutely heartbreaking stories about morons losing their houses because they were 10x leveraged on Cosby Coin or whatever but yeah. Still having a dark chuckle.

And

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

CharlestheHammer posted:

Bitcion has lost a fourth of its value….for the second time in two months. That impressive

well it can only go up from here!

...okay, it can only go up from here

wait, no, from here

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

I seriously can't believe any serious pension fund with real investors did this, mind-blowing.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

tpink posted:

I seriously can't believe any serious pension fund with real investors did this, mind-blowing.

Ok but it’s Quebec, which lets you be a major corporate accountant with your ventriloquism and mime dual major

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
This is probably a good time to ask - any podcasts people can recommend for the crypto drama? I've listened to a few episodes of Crypto Critics' Corner and liked it, but would welcome any additional recommendations.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

selec posted:

Ok but it’s Quebec, which lets you be a major corporate accountant with your ventriloquism and mime dual major

I clearly missed a critical flaw in my assumptions. :D

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

tpink posted:

Dude our 401k adviser was talking about crypto for you retirement fund.

Thankfully it's not included in our target dates.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Astrochicken posted:

Waiting for the market to crash so i can afford bread again.

Don't get your hopes up, there's a lot of money out there looking for refuge. Have you considered subsistence farming?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I guess one of my unstated biases is, when told "well plenty of mainstream investment firms were recommending/selling crypto," I immediately think "Why are you still trusting them?" How many times does Wall Street need to completely gently caress the economy for these naïfs to recognize that Wall Street is almost as loving shady as the mob?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

tpink posted:

They've been trying to normalize it for years to get a massive influx of cash and to make it seem more respectable.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I moved off of my robo investor place for my retirement funds once they started getting into crypto and I couldn’t find any assurances that they weren’t going to put funds into crypto.

I want to be hands off on that but also not leave it in the hands of dummies.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

tpink posted:

This is probably a good time to ask - any podcasts people can recommend for the crypto drama? I've listened to a few episodes of Crypto Critics' Corner and liked it, but would welcome any additional recommendations.

that one is my favorite, I've listened to most of them. The only others I'd recommend are just looking for good guest appearances like Molly White

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
Went to figure out what Vanguard has said about crypto, since I can usually trust them to not be total idiots, and thankfully they are not.

https://investor.vanguard.com/investor-resources-education/article/vanguard-view-on-investing-in-cryptocurrency

quote:

We always go back to what we see as our enduring investment principles. And they go to basically investing in stocks, bonds, and cash. And, ultimately, the challenge we have with cryptocurrency is that it doesn't really have an intrinsic value. It's more of a speculative asset class.

Yeah, that's one way to put it.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Booyah- posted:

that one is my favorite, I've listened to most of them. The only others I'd recommend are just looking for good guest appearances like Molly White

Thanks!!

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

priznat posted:

I moved off of my robo investor place for my retirement funds once they started getting into crypto and I couldn’t find any assurances that they weren’t going to put funds into crypto.

Totally makes sense. I honestly would pull all of my money from any adviser in a heartbeat if they earnestly recommended crypto to me as an investment strategy.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

quote:

We always go back to what we see as our enduring investment principles. And they go to basically investing in stocks, bonds, and cash. And, ultimately, the challenge we have with cryptocurrency is that it doesn't really have an intrinsic value. It's more of a speculative rear endet clrear end.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Back to trading fundamentals - I'll suck you dick for a noodle meal

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

tpink posted:

It’s less than 0.1% of their total assets.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Bondematt posted:

Dude our 401k adviser was talking about crypto for you retirement fund.

Thankfully it's not included in our target dates.

LOL that adviser is directly trying to scam you, they're planning to have the keys to the crypto wallet and pull it all later. That's the only reason they would ever recommend it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

that's still 100% than it should be

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

oh, well that's fine, the supposed financial experts only dipped their toes into an obvious Ponzi scheme based on an entire economy of speculative assets, that's no big deal

shitcoins (and anything shitcoin-related) in a retirement fund are like poo poo in the community pool: if there is any amount of it in there other than "zero", there is a problem

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

latinotwink1997 posted:

If it’s daytime where you are, the moon would be on the other side of the planet
thats not how the moon works!

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I'd really rather my investment firm/advisor not gamble with my assets at all, regardless of how small a share of their portfolio it is.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Blotto_Otter posted:

oh, well that's fine, the supposed financial experts only dipped their toes into an obvious Ponzi scheme based on an entire economy of speculative assets, that's no big deal

shitcoins (and anything shitcoin-related) in a retirement fund are like poo poo in the community pool: if there is any amount of it in there other than "zero", there is a problem

filtration system a marvel to behold
it remove 80% of shitcoin solid waste

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
Hello, I have a couple of reasonable friends who are being caught by the allure of bitcoin ("very interesting idea", "could become a staple", etc)

You guys were sharing videos of this guy that also did that cool flat earther explanation video. Can I please have a link for his bitcoin video? It's for a good cause. Thanks in advance

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Hello, I have a couple of reasonable friends who are being caught by the allure of bitcoin ("very interesting idea", "could become a staple", etc)

You guys were sharing videos of this guy that also did that cool flat earther explanation video. Can I please have a link for his bitcoin video? It's for a good cause. Thanks in advance

Do you mean Dan Olsen's latest on NFTs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

priznat posted:

Which robo do you use? I use Wealthfront and while they do see to dabble in crypto as far as I can tell none of the funds my money is in are there. All I have there is a rollover IRA though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I'm hoping Schwab doesn't touch the poop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

DickParasite posted:

Do you mean Dan Olsen's latest on NFTs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g

Thank you, that's the guy. nothing on bitcoin though? drat