Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

BrainDance posted:

Anyone here know Ancient Greek?

I'm trying to understand, word by word, and the grammar, behind something written in Ancient Greek (whatever kind of Greek wealthy powerful Romans learned before 170CE I guess.)

It's from Marcus Aurelius, "ὀρθὸν οὖν εἶναι χρή, οὐχὶ ὀρθούμενον" and should translate to "stand straight, not straightened" or something like that. If I got the right line at least, I know no Greek so I cant be sure. But google translate and all that seem to fail to translate it, I'm guessing because they're seeing it as modern Greek. So, I have no idea which word is what and stuff.

Figured if anyone was familiar with 2000 year old Greek it'd be someone who reads this thread.

Checked it out in Greek and it was "translated" as "You must stand up, not be held up."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There's multiple smallpox blanket incidents. It was a thing colonial militaries just loving did in North America. The specific one that's now famous is famous because self-loathing north american white people think google and reading half of Capital Volume 1 makes them One Of The Good Ones and picked it up from twitter leftists.

It was ongoing until at least the late 19th century and probably longer in Canada, but talking to indigenous people who know about it is way harder than reposting some dude from Park Slope who's plastered their social media in red flags as they live off their trust fund.

No I'm not bitter.

sir this is a thermopolium

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tulip posted:

...is "we want this to be durable across repeated copying" insufficient?
I think this is the theory by which if there are numerous laws specifically proscribing against goat-loving, this is evidence that a lot of goat-loving was going on.

Or at least that goat-loving was on lawmakers' minds.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Given how bizarrely detached from reality people’s perception of crime is I don’t know if that is a 100% accurate inference.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

euphronius posted:

Given how bizarrely detached from reality people’s perception of crime is I don’t know if that is a 100% accurate inference.
Considering current day politics in the United States it sounds spot on to me.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Nessus posted:

I think this is the theory by which if there are numerous laws specifically proscribing against goat-loving, this is evidence that a lot of goat-loving was going on.

Or at least that goat-loving was on lawmakers' minds.

it's a cute theory that has a lot of empirical contradiction, for example many societies have laws against witchcraft (my favorite is Sumeria where it's one of the most durable elements of the civilization but to my knowledge 0 trials), the US has a whole discourse around poisoned halloween candy from strangers that is based on a fear of it being a widespread practice but the only actual incident was a dad poisoning his kid, the TSA shoe rule is based on a vector for bombing a plane that cannot physically work, and so on.

I think in the case of the vedas there just isn't really any mystery: it's an oral tradition that is taught to children from a young age. Children do not natively copy long poems into their memory without modification, because that's boring and they're kids. If your culture values an oral tradition being stable over long periods of time, you're going to have to make that explicit because there's a pretty built-in source of decay.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The TSA shoe rule is because someone tried it

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, once, which speaks more to Tulip's point.

The point kaschei was trying to make is fine, but I do agree with Tulip that there need not be any more motivation in stressing the importance of accuracy in preserving an oral tradition than just, you know, getting it right. Especially when we're talking about religion and cosmology as opposed to, say, goat loving.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think you can infer that there was a societal worry--possibly a manufactured one! by a law being passed, but yeah not much else

I suspect you might be able to infer something being a continued problem for the state by laws being repeatedly passed trying to rein it in

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The idea of an ongoing moral panic that someone might be loving a goat is very funny.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Grand Fromage posted:

The idea of an ongoing moral panic that someone might be loving a goat is very funny.

(not totally accurate: the law also banned sex with mules and horses, but at an explicitly lower penalty)

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Ashoka, Major Pillar Edict 5 posted:

This rescript on morality has been caused to be written by Devanampriya Priyadarsin. Here no living being must be killed and sacrificed. And also no goat loving must be held. For king Devanampriya Priyadarsin sees much evil in goat loving. And there are also some goat fuckings which are considered meritorious by king Devanampriya Priyadarsin. Formerly in the kitchen of king Devanampriya Priyadarsin many hundred thousands of animals were hosed daily for the sake of cum. But now, when this rescript on morality is caused to be written, then only three animals are being hosed (daily), (viz.) two goats (and) one sheep, but even this sheep not regularly. But even these three animals shall not be hosed (in future).

King Devanampriya Priyadansin speaks thus.

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 13, 2022

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Roman/ancient history: But even these three animals shall not be hosed (in future)

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Im.a fan of "for the sake of cum"

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

All these rules telling me not to gently caress goats makes me want to… go take a cold shower.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If you outlaw goatfucking only outlaws will gently caress goats.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah, this is why I had my caveat there that it's something on lawmakers' minds in whatever form. Though you also have survivorship bias; the Rigellian scavengers of Earth could find the comprehensive works of L. Ron Hubbard, for instance, which would probably inform their theories of hunam society and culture.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Tulip posted:

(not totally accurate: the law also banned sex with mules and horses, but at an explicitly lower penalty)

My random baseless conjecture here is that horses and mules were more expensive animals, and this carve-out in the law was intended to make sure rich sickos got lesser punishments.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Medenmath posted:

My random baseless conjecture here is that horses and mules were more expensive animals, and this carve-out in the law was intended to make sure rich sickos got lesser punishments.

Not a bad theory! Popular. Unfortunately we do not have any surviving works of Hittite legal philosophy that provide any insight, so for the time being it's going to be a mystery.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Would people living in that time had made such a big difference between human and animal as we modern people do?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Fish of hemp posted:

Would people living in that time had made such a big difference between human and animal as we modern people do?

They might have made more? That's not a linear trend, it's always very complicated, plus its not like modern peoples are in firm agreement about how big a difference people make between humans and animals (there was actually a recently published piece of Chinese crankery that posited that European philosophy has never had a firm division between humans and animals, always on a continuum of dignity. Would have been news to Descartes!). I am not sure we have any unified Hittite animal rights philosophy or anything like that surviving. I'd be skeptical of any particular claim made even if we had firm evidence because the evidence we do have about Hittite attitudes were that they were exceptionally pluralistic.

I will say that the coolest thing about hittite law is that, by default, local law trumped imperial law. So like, in the case of a murder, you would very likely be judged according to local law that preceded Hittite conquest. Which in most things is the majority of laws because we're talking bout an Empire that conquered and integrated a variety of kingdoms. How we know this is largely because we know the one major exception to this: incest. The Hittites hated incest, and there was an empire-wide death penalty for incest. It's basically the only way in which the Hittites really, truly interfered with the governments of their imperial clients. Note that they did not generally have a death penalty for murder so this was something they found REALLY offensive.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's one of the things about Gilgamesh's story is Enkidu living like an animal and then being civilized

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

That's one of the things about Gilgamesh's story is Enkidu living like an animal and then being civilized

And IIRC becoming civilized is not just learning language and putting on clothes. The process of civilization causes his animal friends to reject him.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

Also related to the story of the Garden of Eden. Adam and Eve are one with nature, naked and unashamed, until they eat of the tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Suddenly they understand morality and sin and must be cast out of the garden because now they are Human, separate from nature.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Gaius Marius posted:

Gilgamesh is a cool weird story imo

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Smiling Knight posted:

And IIRC becoming civilized is not just learning language and putting on clothes. The process of civilization causes his animal friends to reject him.

Specifically he loses his connection to the animals because he had sex with a woman. THEN he goes back to her and she tells him “wearing clothes and pastoralism are good actually”

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

wow nature is an incel discord

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the virgin nature and the chad civilization

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jazerus posted:

the virgin nature and the chad civilization

Literally true

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
It's been 20 years since I read gilgamesh but didn't they gently caress for a week straight? What I'm saying is

Tulip posted:

Gilgamesh is a cool weird story imo

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

It's been 20 years since I read gilgamesh but didn't they gently caress for a week straight? What I'm saying is

Yeah I think it's like a week straight and then they say"his legs were sore and he couldn't run."

Which, yeah...

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Tunicate posted:

And was stopped by passengers.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The TSA has never actually stopped anyone.

They're all foiled before or after going through security never by security itself because it's all just a very expensive play to make people feel flying is safer.

Airport security is pretty good at confiscating nail clippers and keyrings that are vaguely shaped like a gun or grenade.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
TSA catches passengers trying to bring loaded handguns onto air planes all the time. In 2020 they seized 3,300 firearms, and they considered that a low year because of the pandemic (though the incidence rate doubled, presumably because covid flyers also tended to be gun nuts). Make of that what you will.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

PeterCat posted:

Yeah I think it's like a week straight and then they say"his legs were sore and he couldn't run."

Which, yeah...

Dudes rock.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Tulip posted:

this inspired some questions and now I want to know, does anyone have some good recommendations on how and by who ancient laws were enforced? I know that the police as we think of them are an extremely modern thing so I'm kind of looking for information on the systems that existed before that basically.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Benagain posted:

this inspired some questions and now I want to know, does anyone have some good recommendations on how and by who ancient laws were enforced? I know that the police as we think of them are an extremely modern thing so I'm kind of looking for information on the systems that existed before that basically.

It depends on time and place. I don't know of any comprehensive books. Generally speaking though, ancient laws were enforced by fines or violence, there wasn't much else. Imprisonment was used for high value people or to keep you until trial. A whole lot of crime ended with you getting executed, either by the state or the friends of your victim.

There are whole books on Roman trials and law, I don't have any recs but I know those are out there.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Benagain posted:

There's a TON of systems, really multiple per society. The first that springs to my mind is that it's a minor topic inside of chapter VI of James TC Liu's Reform in Sung China, where he discusses how local bureaucracy was staffed before and after The New Policies. The before picture is that the imperial bureaucracy sends out an executive, and that executive levees people into each of the many many many roles of the local governance (everything from logistics officer to tea attendant)1. People would be leveed based on their economic class (so that you're not pressing scribes from illiterate peasants), which was determined by census, and families would be grouped with the responsibility of furnishing workers rotating between the families in the group. After the New Policies, everyone was taxed, and the appointed executive would have a pay schedule for paying people to fill the various offices.

If that first plan sounds like a loving mess:

quote:

The requisitioned servicemen,
on the contrary, suffered a great deal. Many did not know
their way about in the government offices, or how to render
the services required of them; they were ignorant of how to
bribe the clerks into helping them and giving them easier as-
signments, or how to avoid being deceived by the career
servicemen. In fact, they were often given the heavier burdens
and compelled to supply provisions for the social events,
private entertainment, and personal luxuries of the insatiable
officials.8
The endless miseries to which this group was subjected led
to many evils. People would deliberately impoverish them-
selves or simulate poverty in the hope of evading service. They
resorted to such evasions as cheating in registering property,
failing to make census reports, and ostensibly, or even actually
dividing the family into several separate households. Other
devices were tragic: infanticide, suicide, or the marrying off
of a widowed mother or widowed grandmother. Some simply
fled, seeking a living in trade or handicrafts in the larger
cities, or becoming monks or bandits.7

Anyway, that's all background to "how was law enforced." The #1 thing to keep in mind behind the curtain is that the Chinese state was, by modern standards, very light on the ground. Very few permanent workers, very low amounts of surveillance, very high degree of local autonomy. So 1) very heterogeneous and 2) quite often relies on extra harsh punishment as deterrence, since reliability was somewhat out of the question.

There were...several features that you can generally take for granted in imperial law enforcement. The first thing is, as mentioned, extra harsh punishments. Like it can be surprising to see that there's a distinction between "ordered to commit suicide" vs "sentenced to death." The difference is that "ordered to commit suicide" means getting a death that is typically a lot less painful because Chinese death penalties were frequently really gnarly, and often included disfigurements that were religiously significant (as in, had afterlife repercussions). Collective punishment is also a major feature: the state is relatively light, and thus not able to figure out if somebody did something wrong, so you punish like 50 people for 1 person's wrongs in order to compel all 50 people to snitch on each other. There are variations on this of course (Wu Zetian put some twists on this, for which she went down in infamy even though they were probably more just by most standards).

The other is ad hoc enforcement. Again, government tends to be light on the ground, so the ideal of catching criminal conspiracies early is often failed. New executive shows up, goes "why is trade all hosed up" and somebody coughs up "there's bandits in the hills and have been for a decade," and the executive russles up a posse and assaults the bandit camp, with the posse dispersing afterwards. Of course this was not remotely a uniform policy: sometimes those bandits could get out of control, and then you get into the territory of "is it better to punish or forgive." A very, very common tactic for a bandit or pirate who got too powerful was to bribe them back to civil society: amnesty, some money, maybe land, sometimes even a title. Obviously this can be quite embarrassing for the state, but if they're just trying to make some money that's very different from trying to overthrow the emperor or something.

Anyway its extremely heterogeneous and I am flattening A LOT and leaving out a lot but this is all kind of constantly going on in the background of any story about Chinese history.

1its so loving complicated dude there's divisions between career and requisitioned and there's like 500 titles and it's just all over the place

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How does the bandit know that they're not going to be seized and tortured to death once they accept the proffered bribe and return to society?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The Lone Badger posted:

How does the bandit know that they're not going to be seized and tortured to death once they accept the proffered bribe and return to society?

I mean they don't, but the Chinese government did have a habit of honoring those agreements. Past behavior isn't a guarantee of future behavior but its pretty good.

Ching Shih was at one point an international security hazard and she got to spend her last 34 years in peace and prosperity.