Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Never noticed it until I started doing Arkasodara dailies, but do the combat tribe quest actually give a good chunk of exp?

It’s similar to Pixies in ShB, you should be able to take a class from 81-90 in about 3-4 weeks of daily quests. It’s a great, semi-passive way to level classes.

Hell, if you do the tribal quests and your leveling roulette every day, it’d probably only take 10-15 days of 30 minutes a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Doing all three daily pixie quests with a level 70-79 character will get you about 30% of an XP bar. All three hippo quests with an 80+ character will also be about 30%.

Pixies with an 80+ character will give you the same XP as if you were 79, so it's pretty decent in early 80s and gets less good but doesn't totally go to poo poo.

Stormblood tribes will give you about 12% of an XP bar for three quests for each of the combat tribes in the 60-69 range, so it comes out reasonably decent if you do both, but it's twice as much work

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Daily hunt targets are also worth a decent chunk, if you don't mind teleporting around a lot. There's a website that can set up a route for you if you enter in your targets for the day.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Cicadalek posted:

Daily hunt targets are also worth a decent chunk, if you don't mind teleporting around a lot. There's a website that can set up a route for you if you enter in your targets for the day.

Yeah, doing these alongside the expansion appropriate tribal quests will give you a very hefty chunk of daily EXP if you're in a situation you can't or don't want to grind dungeons.

Especially in Endwalker, where they buffed the EXP rewarded from Hunts by a huge amount. Doing all of the EW hunts at level 80* is worth 50% of the way to 81. Doing them at 89 is worth about 30% of the way to 90.

Outside of Endwalker (and ARR, who's Hunts don't give EXP), it ranges from 33% at X0 to about 24% at X9. Y0 (level 70 for StB Hunts, for example) has a big dropoff and will give 17%.

* This is 100% possible with a little care, even going up against level 89-90 mobs. Just don't try the weekly B rank named targets, save them for a level 88-90 Job. They'll take you out below that and don't give EXP anyways.

Edit: There's a second site I'd also recommend, FFXIV Hunt, if the one Cicadalek recommends doesn't quite work out, like if you're using a mobile browser which Faloop doesn't have a route generator for that I could find a little while back.

Onean fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 13, 2022

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I don't think the XP rewards are really all that great until you hit ShB tribe quests though. I leveled all the StB ones to Bloodsworn and it wasn't really all that helpful for leveling. Doing the same on my 50-60 classes with the HW ones right now and it's not great. Pixies and Arkasadora are nice xp though, was able to get to the next story quest yesterday and that + 6 dailies took me from halfway through 82 to well into 83 on my DRG.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

IMO for levelling, ShB and EW beast tribes are definitely worth actively doing, StB you might as well while you wait for a dungeon queue to pop, and HW and below don't bother

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Professor Beetus posted:

I don't think the XP rewards are really all that great until you hit ShB tribe quests though. I leveled all the StB ones to Bloodsworn and it wasn't really all that helpful for leveling. Doing the same on my 50-60 classes with the HW ones right now and it's not great. Pixies and Arkasadora are nice xp though, was able to get to the next story quest yesterday and that + 6 dailies took me from halfway through 82 to well into 83 on my DRG.

Tribal dailies were boosted in ShB, yeah, but I still think they're relevant before then if either you haven't gotten the reputations to cap or you're in a situation you can't play uninterrupted and shouldn't run dungeons.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Onean posted:

* This is 100% possible with a little care, even going up against level 89-90 mobs. Just don't try the weekly B rank named targets, save them for a level 88-90 Job. They'll take you out below that and don't give EXP anyways.

The little care being your chocobo on heal spec and that's literally it.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

The stormblood ones are pretty good. A big reason the pixie tribes were so good is they realized by then they would only be doing a single combat job tribe and essentially doubled the yield. since then they’ve seemingly just carried that forward as the new rate. On top of that pixie quests are probably the quickest ones in the game. The elephants are still quick but they’re closer to the Kojin/Ananta it feels like

RME
Feb 20, 2012

The earlier ones are terrible for actual leveling though, worse yields and lengthier quests in general.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Onean posted:

Tribal dailies were boosted in ShB, yeah, but I still think they're relevant before then if either you haven't gotten the reputations to cap or you're in a situation you can't play uninterrupted and shouldn't run dungeons.

Oh yeah, I still recommend doing them for the stories and such, they're not bad content or anything. But they are much more in line with regular side quests in terms of tangible rewards.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Never noticed it until I started doing Arkasodara dailies, but do the combat tribe quest actually give a good chunk of exp?

Yeah, it rocks. That's usually how I level classes I don't like playing in PVE. I'm in no hurry to max levels.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

RME posted:

The elephants are still quick but they’re closer to the Kojin/Ananta it feels like

The quest pickup/dropoff not being particularly close to an aetheryte is the main cause of this I think

RME
Feb 20, 2012

That’s part of it for sure, but another detail is the pixie quests are laid out in a way that almost always gives you a nice routing for them that has minimal to no double backing. I’m not complaining, I think the pixies will be the exception in the long term even, but I did a lot of pixies back to back with both stb and the ew tribes and it’s noticeable

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I really wish that PLD gap closer got some kind of CC in PvP like other tank gap closers, like cmon, give us a silence or something on there, that would be nice.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

RME posted:

That’s part of it for sure, but another detail is the pixie quests are laid out in a way that almost always gives you a nice routing for them that has minimal to no double backing. I’m not complaining, I think the pixies will be the exception in the long term even, but I did a lot of pixies back to back with both stb and the ew tribes and it’s noticeable

It's definitely noticeable that pixies is better than StB for routing. Love to have the optimal route go through Kugane main aetheryte

RME
Feb 20, 2012

It’s goofy but at least it’s pretty effective!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I do them while waiting in the DPS queue so the extra travel time never bothered me anyways. Shorter routes only have the effect of losing me money because what Im really optimizing for is passing the time

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
There's a teleport from Onokoro to the big island in the South I find more useful than going through Kugane, but yeah, the Ruby Sea and Kojin quests aren't particularly well laid out. Even just a single change of moving that teleport to the NW side of the southern island would be a significant improvement by actually giving quicker access to the West side of the map.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Do the points for holding the data-extraction obelisks in FL accrue at a consistent rate? My thinking is that there should be a decent extra chunk at the very end to make it valuable to take/keep for the whole time.

Also goddamn how does anyone learn NIN PvP when half the abilities are hidden until you hit Three Mudras? I can take a look at them in the Wolves’ Den, but if I forget something during a CC I end up just randomly tossing ninjutsus out because it’s hard to look them up while waiting on a respawn timer.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, ShB+ tribe quests are good XP. Shame about the earlier ones, would be nice if they were more useful as a way to level alt jobs and might get more people doing them and seeing the story.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Dall-e Mini: an effort was made

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Subjunctive posted:

Do the points for holding the data-extraction obelisks in FL accrue at a consistent rate? My thinking is that there should be a decent extra chunk at the very end to make it valuable to take/keep for the whole time.

Also goddamn how does anyone learn NIN PvP when half the abilities are hidden until you hit Three Mudras? I can take a look at them in the Wolves’ Den, but if I forget something during a CC I end up just randomly tossing ninjutsus out because it’s hard to look them up while waiting on a respawn timer.

Pretty sure it's consistent, yeah. Fighting over a nearly empty obelisk is seen as a bit of a loss.

For Mudras you muscle memory it over time and remember which button changes slightly based on your needs at the moment. There's six buttons at most with simplistic needs and even doubling that with Mudra barely gives you a full bar. Half of them map over to the same function as well(i.e. you'd Melee somebody you want to focus, Mug for harass/focus, you'd Fuma somebody you want to range poke, you'd shadow buff to make yourself better.)

Harass at Range Button becomes The Big Harass At Range, Mug becomes Second Harass at Range, Mudra itself and Shadow buff become SAVE MY rear end, your melee becomes gently caress You In Particular. If there's a use for Doton outside of prolonged brawling on the crystal in CC.. eh. And I default to putting up Hoton if I Mudra but have to fall back or get outranged. Alternating between Fuma and Mug for ranged harass keeps your Mudra clean and Hoton is always a good neutral to clean it up too, to get rid of bad habits like trying to Big Shuriken or Raijin twice in a row.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
Doton+fireball drops a heavy debuff on anyone who enters the doton, which can be useful in rare situations. You probably want to be using the super ninja stars or the stun primarily, though.

Also, if it helps, you can see the PVP actions anywhere (not just in Wolves' Den) under Character->PVP Profile (I think, might be one of the other standard options instead of Character). It's a little rough figuring out which action changes to which depending on mudra, but it gives you all the time you need at least to read and understand the actions.

Extortionist fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 13, 2022

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Doton is pretty meh but the fireball is 16k potency as a dot which is A) a lot of potency for the cooldown and B) dot damage ignores guard if the dot was applied before guard goes off.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

Also goddamn how does anyone learn NIN PvP when half the abilities are hidden until you hit Three Mudras?

"Throw Shuriken" turns into "Throw Big Shuriken"
"Shadow Clone Wind Jutsu" turns into "Shadow Clone Shield Jutsu"
then I just put mug next to fuma shuriken so I can ranged AoE instead of ranged single target when I want, just make special effort to remember that melee combo turns into Raiton and Three Mudra turns into Meisui, and mostly forget Doton exists because it's so niche

Also yeah Goka Mekkyaku is insanely strong and you should always open with it. Also fun fact that you may or may not be aware of: You can cast Meisui on teammates

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 13, 2022

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I just hit dummies at the Wolves Den if I'm learning what buttons do for pvp.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

everyone should also do the vath tribe quests purely because they're great lil dudes

<click><click>

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gnossiennes posted:

everyone should also do the vath tribe quests purely because they're great lil dudes

<click><click>

Where's that one person with the Vath AV?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Twibbit posted:

Dall-e Mini: an effort was made

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I hate doing the Vath dailies nearly as much as the Vanu Vanu because the quest giver is just annoyingly far enough from an aetheryte, they make you go to all corners of the map and frequently double-back as part of the same quest before completion. Plus, Mourn.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Where's that one person with the Vath AV?

Hi! I love the Vath. Very little bug content in this game overall, so we take what we can get. They're not nearly as bad as the Vanu in terms of making you go far places, and after having done the ARR ones I was ready for any sort of improvement. And they're such good people, the Deftarm kicks all kinds of rear end and it makes me long for them.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Gnossiennes posted:

<click><click>

This game is shockingly good at giving you sympathetic reasons to do fetch quests, but the Vath's "we literally just stopped being part of a hivemind and have no idea how to survive as individuals, please help" is particularly compelling. Also "please fight bears for us because bears are scary," which I respect for its honesty, just like the Ananta "could you go deal with this slug? We could do it, but... you know... it's really gross" quest.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hogama posted:

I hate doing the Vath dailies nearly as much as the Vanu Vanu because the quest giver is just annoyingly far enough from an aetheryte, they make you go to all corners of the map and frequently double-back as part of the same quest before completion. Plus, Mourn.

That seems to be a problem with the HW tribes in general. poo poo made me hate the moogles.

"Go talk to these three moogles"

"Now talk to this moogle in a different area"

"Now talk to these three moogles again except they're spread out around the map"

"Now talk to that one moogle again so you can give him the items you just got instead of the quest giver moogle for some reason"

Marceline Abadeer
Oct 14, 2012
Just sliding in with a quick announcement that EMC is holding a Pride party this month and we'd love to pack the basement full of Gay Goon Sardines. We have a large house now, so that means we're going to need lots of friends to show up and /beesknees until the cows come home. There's an event up in the discord, I've made a carrd with some preliminary info that'll get updated closer to the event date, and if you have any questions you can send me a DM about it!

Date: June 25th
Time: 12:00 pm PST to 4:30 PST
Place: Empyreum Ward 3, Plot 22 [Primal, Excalibur]
In-Game Contact: Madoka Medica

We've got lots of prizes to give away, a live 8-man band playing wacky bangers, and we'll be hosting a screenshot competition in Discord that's friendly/fair to console players or folks who don't use reshade/mods. Please join us!

Marceline Abadeer fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 13, 2022

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Antivehicular posted:

This game is shockingly good at giving you sympathetic reasons to do fetch quests, but the Vath's "we literally just stopped being part of a hivemind and have no idea how to survive as individuals, please help" is particularly compelling. Also "please fight bears for us because bears are scary," which I respect for its honesty, just like the Ananta "could you go deal with this slug? We could do it, but... you know... it's really gross" quest.

after playing elden ring I too am terrified of bears

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Alxprit posted:

Hi! I love the Vath. Very little bug content in this game overall, so we take what we can get. They're not nearly as bad as the Vanu in terms of making you go far places, and after having done the ARR ones I was ready for any sort of improvement. And they're such good people, the Deftarm kicks all kinds of rear end and it makes me long for them.

Look at the little guy go! :kimchi:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Boy Dall-e sure found some interesting source images for Y'shtola there.

I finally gave Dall-e mini a try and this came out better than I expected:

I think my fave is top left because of the popped collars and the little smirk.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Professor Beetus posted:

Boy Dall-e sure found some interesting source images for Y'shtola there.

I finally gave Dall-e mini a try and this came out better than I expected:

I think my fave is top left because of the popped collars and the little smirk.

bottom left looks like that guy from the Yakuza games

I don't know what I was expecting. This was sadly boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

aglaia sets are the best non-af sets they've added in a long time, can't wait 'til you can easily farm them