Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

The March Hare posted:

Though this doesn't sound like the case this time, often worth clarifying whether or not the person actually wrote that part of their CV.

I once had an interview that seemed very strange and I pointed out that I didn't have any experience with anything I was being asked about and that it wasn't anywhere on my resume.

Turns out it was: the recruiter had doctored my resume and the guy interviewing me had printed it out. I showed him what I sent the recruiter on my phone, it was pretty funny.

I've had that happen to me on the interviewee side of the fence before and I was livid, so I'm aware of the practice. This recruiter clearly doesn't proof or otherwise revise on their clients' behalf, because we get wildly different formats and English language proficiency from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Even if that was the case, responding to questions about something you don't know about by getting evasive rather than just saying you haven't used that is a bad sign anyway.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Yeah 100%, I was getting very specific finance questions and was extremely confused and immediately spoke up.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Plorkyeran posted:

Even if that was the case, responding to questions about something you don't know about by getting evasive rather than just saying you haven't used that is a bad sign anyway.

Especially when my preamble about the interview format explicitly states that "I don't know" is an acceptable and encouraged response when appropriate.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
The worst interview I ever had was one where I was sure within 10 minutes I wasn't getting the job and this dude proceeded to interview me for another 90 minutes.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I've also had a recruiter alter my CV before, back when I was looking for my first developer job and barely knew C#. Loads of questions about SQL Server and stored procedures etc.

Ended up saying I've never worked with SQL before, they showed me the CV they had and it was just nonsense.

Got the job anyway, guess when you're looking for an entry level guy not knowing SQL isn't a huge deal :v:

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Interviews are conversations. In my experience, the more a candidate sound like they're reading off a cue-card and/or dodging a question and/or making stuff up to sound like they know what they're talking about, the less likely it is for them to be hired.

I talk about what I actually know and if I don't know something I have no qualms saying so.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've gotten a lot of questions where it was like, "how would you fix <terrible design decision requiring multiple layers of bandaids>?"

My response was always, "fix the core bad design problems that got you in that situation to begin with, I've never run into that problem because if it ever got that bad we'd just rip it out and replace it, adding more bandaids isn't helping" in retrospect probably why they were asking that question is because they had done the original bad design, either way probably best I didn't end up working there

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Am I a rear end in a top hat?

I started a new job two months ago as a technical marketer. It's a ok job, I get to program more than my last job and I don't have to deal with WordPress anymore. Anyways, about a week ago I was in a programming workshop class and a CEO from another company was really impressed with my questions and invited me to apply. So I did. I have a interview tomorrow, and if all goes well and they give me a job offer, would I be a huge rear end for taking it? I presume it'll be a substantial increase in pay otherwise I wouldn't bother.

The current job is nice but really small and I spend most of my time not really doing anything which kinda sucks as I like to stay busy

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

worms butthole guy posted:

I started a new job two months ago as a technical marketer. It's a ok job, I get to program more than my last job and I don't have to deal with WordPress anymore. Anyways, about a week ago I was in a programming workshop class and a CEO from another company was really impressed with my questions and invited me to apply. So I did. I have a interview tomorrow, and if all goes well and they give me a job offer, would I be a huge rear end for taking it? I presume it'll be a substantial increase in pay otherwise I wouldn't bother.

The current job is nice but really small and I spend most of my time not really doing anything which kinda sucks as I like to stay busy

nope - look out for numero uno, my guy

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The rear end in a top hat is anyone paying you less than the offer you have in hand (supposing you get a good offer)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

worms butthole guy posted:

Not even a tiny bit

You do as little grind as absolutely necessary, then climb/scramble out of the sewer pit as soon as possible and Get Paid

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
get that paper

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

prom candy posted:

get that paper

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Ok but seriously im trying to pivot over to a data analyst track. I already have a BS in Actuarial Science so I have all the analytical background necessary, I just don't have professional coding experience (or a lot of coding experience generally, a bit from coursework). What's the best way to get my foot in the door and have someone take a chance and/or pay me to onboard myself here? Also needs to be fully remote bc offices are death traps

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Data Analyst - start learning a Business Intelligence (BI) tool that is popular with whatever industry or companies you want to work for and at the same time start learning some SQL, again whatever is popular. If you're looking at smaller companies then regardless of industry they're probably going to have Microsoft products so MSSQL, Access, and PowerBI (and Excel). If you want to get some bigger paper and don't mind being a cog in the mindless corporate machine then there's a variety of BI and database options so you'll have to do some focused research. A lot of the skills will transfer between products but some places will want experience with their specific flavors of software.

With your degree, the 'business' side of BI that I would get familiar with is FP&A and/or supply chain. Some companies will have specialized software for FP&A but the vast majority will just be using Excel with maybe an Access or SQL database; Supply Chain is similar but you'll have to deal with ERP or MRP as well. Both areas make extensive use of risk analysis as you probably know well.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You have to learn SQL to work with data. You should probably also learn R or Python, depending on what most of the job ads in your area want.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

So grind out some SQL and Python courses, mess around with the microsoft BI suite to have some basic familiarity, then try to find some certs or verification tests that will communicate I have the baseline skills to be given a shot sounds about right for a general approach?

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Yep, start some free courses, find some common datasets that you can import into a local database. I used Lynda.com extensively although now LinkedIn has acquired them and put it behind a Premium paywall.

The Microsoft PL-300 exam is the one for general competency type certification for PBI and I occasionally see it required in job postings for entry-level positions. I don't require certs (BI, SQL, or otherwise) in any of the positions I've hired for but do see it as a benefit especially if you earned it outside of a job. It means you can learn proactively or are at least being pointed in a certain direction. Definitely start looking at job postings now to get a sense for what companies are looking for.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

When an interviewer asks what you do at your job... if you conduct interviews for your current team is that something you would mention? I'll definitely mention that I train/mentor new engineers, at least.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

When an interviewer asks what you do at your job... if you conduct interviews for your current team is that something you would mention? I'll definitely mention that I train/mentor new engineers, at least.

Yes. Conducting interviews is a skill and it's always useful to have people who can do that.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Thanks, I mentioned it briefly in my intro. I figure any small thing helps.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

It's not just a skill. Being trusted by an organization to effectively evaluate candidates indicates competency beyond title and leveling.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Thirst Mutilator posted:

It's not just a skill. Being trusted by an organization to effectively evaluate candidates indicates competency beyond title and leveling.

Lol

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Yeah, reads dumber than I thought at the time, but if you're selling skills/yourself, sometimes you gotta sound like that, IMO.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

So with the upcoming recession, how does someone with ~4 years experience go about not getting laid off. I’m at a big fintech place which should in theory be able to weather all but the biggest downturns, but things are looking dicey for the sector.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

meanolmrcloud posted:

So with the upcoming recession, how does someone with ~4 years experience go about not getting laid off. I’m at a big fintech place which should in theory be able to weather all but the biggest downturns, but things are looking dicey for the sector.

You can't control layoffs, but there's things you can do to make yourself more resilient. At a big company, having lots of people respect you, especially directors in other departments, can open up opportunities for transfer. Don't wipe other people's asses, but do be kind and helpful when others actually need it. Give presentations or write documents when you have the option to do so. Shake every hand you can. Dress well. Reputation matters more overall than any particular results you deliver. If you don't have exposure to other departments, you're in a dead end job.

If you do need to find work, though, arm yourself with success stories that show hiring managers that you're a winner. Do this long before you actually need a new job. Describe situations where you found a problem, delivered a solution, and had an impact broader than your daily work. Write scripts for yourself and practice them in the shower. Create single sentence versions of these to use as bullet points on your resume. Shoot for one little story per year of your career. If you get good at this, you can keep a hiring manager listening on the phone until their bladder fills up.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also read books on career development (not specific to programming), literary classics (teaches you how other people think), and anything about how to make small talk. Exposure to technical sales is really useful for social development, too.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

meanolmrcloud posted:

I wouldn't worry about it too much. With ~4 years of experience, you'll likely land in a better job than the one you just left.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

At a Fintech, just don't be in the bottom 10% when they do stack ranking downsizing

If finance companies evaporated whenever there was a recession, their names would not be attached to the top of every tall building on the planet

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
The software industry has been strangely resilient to recessions. I don’t know how long that will keep up, but it’s been a comfortable ride for me.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

teen phone cutie posted:

also on a subject change, I ended up taking the job with a big pay cut but had a phone screen today with a company i've been thirsting over for a while and (thinking I was smart), told the recruiter that I had an offer in my hand as a way to fast-track the interview process.

it ended up backfiring and the recruiter was basically like "well......don't wait on us. If you have an offer, take that." :doh:

and now I'm waiting for the inevitable rejection email. live and learn.

back for round 2 baby! About a week after I got the rejection from the company, I applied for another role there, thinking "well I'm just gonna keep applying over and over until they get sick of me and hire me"

and now I have yet another phone screen with the exact same recruiter lol

except now I guess my only play here is to say I passed on the offer that I told her about previously, even though I very much did accept that job

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
edit: nm

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Recession-wise it's good if you don't work for bubble companies. If your company's main source of income is fleecing VCs while burning money you'll probably want to brush up your resume. That's not to say that real companies can't get hit with a recession too but the companies that are running on farts instead of an actual business model are usually the first ones to get hit.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

A legitimate question - what does a Business Analyst actually *do* - On the rare instances I go into the office they sit in the same area as the developers but all I can gather is that they seem to hum and haw in meetings all day about the projects the developers are actually working on

The brief attempts I've made to research it just tend to give definition responses which boil down to saying "they analyse the business" in a roundabout way which doesn't really alleviate my admittedly very very biased assumption

(I acknowledge this as an incredibly computer goblin esque question but such is life)

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Worldshatter posted:

A legitimate question - what does a Business Analyst actually *do* - On the rare instances I go into the office they sit in the same area as the developers but all I can gather is that they seem to hum and haw in meetings all day about the projects the developers are actually working on

The brief attempts I've made to research it just tend to give definition responses which boil down to saying "they analyse the business" in a roundabout way which doesn't really alleviate my admittedly very very biased assumption

(I acknowledge this as an incredibly computer goblin esque question but such is life)

The good ones I've worked with have been numbers and ideas people. Like digging around spreadsheets and databases to get an impression of what's going on. Trying to prove if thing is going well and having an impact. Writing ad-hoc reports when requested. Trying to find warning signs in trends.

Basically, analyzing the business.

Lots of places I've worked though, it's just a title for all miscellaneous computer touchers. Like a company has some terrible internal tool that needs daily touching to keep running, hire a business "analyst" who has to keep touching it daily.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Worldshatter posted:

They determine objectively if the things you are doing are worth your time, and work to find the highest value uses of your time.

There's more to it than that, but that's the ego-centric response for computer goblins framing that role as serving them.

garashir fanfic
Oct 22, 2020

Title Text

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

So grind out some SQL and Python courses, mess around with the microsoft BI suite to have some basic familiarity, then try to find some certs or verification tests that will communicate I have the baseline skills to be given a shot sounds about right for a general approach?

You might be interested in this course :

https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-to-computer-science-and-programming-7

Part one is just basics of programming in python but part two covers a variety of analytical applications

https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-to-computational-thinking-and-data-4

I worked through an older version of this course last year and while I haven't really gotten into data since then it's given me a pretty solid foundation in Python. Note that it's a "foundations" type course and doesn't teach professional tools, it's more intended to get you comfortable using python for "computational thinking" as title suggests

Also I know someone who does data science and whenever SQL comes up he always recommends these two links:

https://mode.com/sql-tutorial/
https://pgexercises.com/

I haven't gotten into them yet but they look more in-depth than the tutorials I've gone through so far.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Worldshatter posted:

Good BA’s can explain the why behind a business ask, and show you a few different approaches to get to that point in your system, or how to configure an order/state/widget to show off some edge cases. They can also write stories to reflect that effort and outcomes with minimal input. They’ll also have connections in the business to find answers to stuff they don’t know.

Bad ones are just a useless layer to formalize into stories what a developer says needs to be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
BA's traditionally had a foot in each side and understood the business side like Accounting/Finance at a high level but also knew the software products/IT side and could also deal with the annoying neckbeards.

This has changed a ton over the last 20 years but at my mega-super huge 200k+ emp "organization" The BA's are handling more now beyond just being the liaison between "business" aka "Accounting/Finance" etc department who needs some solution (like an interface that can report employees doing this or that in the various systems etc) and IT, who develops it. The BA's develop the business case, work with the Accounting/Finance goons to capture requirements, build the functional specs, work with the project/technical PM's (if there is one as they are being disappeared) and since most of IT - except for the cool engineering stuff - is outsourced 5x over and only good at doing exactly what they are told the BA's also have to troubleshoot ETL's, read any technical specs and develop/execute SQL queries and oh yeah there used to be dedicated systems integration teams but they got disappeared years ago so the BA has to help with that as well as do the user acceptance testing and handle all the re-work requests since IT will usually do the bare minimum and make a bunch of horrible decisions that filter out a bunch of data, etc. :newlol:

In the past:
Requesting Dept>>>>>>>Reporting Team>>>>>Bus Analysts>>>>>>>>>IT Solutions Consultants/PM's/ETL Developers/systems engineers/Testers
= Budget/dates met, Good Product, update schedules, ongoing support

Now it more like;
Requesting Dept>>>>>>>Reporting Team>>>>>Bus Analysts>>>>>>>>Cognizant/TATA/AssEnter/PWC morons at 20x the cost and 50x the time as before! :911:
= Budget/dates never met-not even remotely, mediocre Product despite detailed specs, far between and costly update schedules, lack of ongoing support (gently caress you find funding!)

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 18, 2022