Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

The bird box idea is interesting but I also don't like the idea of giving extra reasons for them to poo poo on my car. I presume the premise is that the birds would eat them?

It was a joke, but that’s the premise. You could also hatch a clutch of praying mantis eggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Levitate posted:

all the equipment was purchased separately by the previous owner, not through an ADT contract. The contract was terminated by the previous owner.

As far as I can tell there isn't a real panel or kind of specific controller other than the touchscreen thing that was left behind. It's just wireless window/door sensors, a glass break sensor, and a camera that I'm not sure actually hooked up to that controller to begin with (might have just been usable through the ADT service)

The touch screen is not this thing is it?

Smartthings ADT is the only 3rd party wireless sensor suite I can think of that was ADT compatible. It was also discontinued in June of last year and can't control anything anymore. And the sensors, even though they are z-wave, can only be used with that specific hub. So if that's what you have you really can't use any of it. The camera is definitely not part of it, though.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

BigFactory posted:

It was a joke, but that’s the premise. You could also hatch a clutch of praying mantis eggs.

Well I'm kind of disappointed. My brother has a camera set up just for birds so I'd started looking into it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So I think I’m finally gonna buy a Pi and install Homebridge on it. I see a used “Kano Computer Kit” which apparently has a Raspberry Pi 3 as part of it available online for £35. That should be able to run Homebridge and possibly Plex without issues, right? I’ve never dabbled with Pi stuff before.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Get the Pi with more RAM (and make sure to install the x64 version of Raspian or whatever it's called now), especially if you're going to run Plex on it. Not sure how well a Pi could do Plex encodings though since it's typically a low-power CPU. I've never tried it personally.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I’ll see what Pi I can actually get a hold of!

Apparently for it to work when off my Wi-Fi I still need an Apple TV or HomePod to act as a hub? If so, what is the absolute cheapest thing I can buy to control it all and view cameras when away from home?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

I’ll see what Pi I can actually get a hold of!

Apparently for it to work when off my Wi-Fi I still need an Apple TV or HomePod to act as a hub? If so, what is the absolute cheapest thing I can buy to control it all and view cameras when away from home?

If you want HomeKit compatibility, yes, you'll need an ATV or HomePod (or mini).
You can use an iPad, but I strongly don't recommend using a battery-powered device for a hub that controls your home for obvious reasons.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You can use an iPad, but I strongly don't recommend using a battery-powered device for a hub that controls your home for obvious reasons.

Until iOS/iPadOS 16. They deprecated iPads as HomeKit bridge, which obviously is what i use, and I'm not interested in neither ATV nor HomePods.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just get a HomePod mini. They’re pretty good and don’t run out of battery.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

SlowBloke posted:

Until iOS/iPadOS 16. They deprecated iPads as HomeKit bridge, which obviously is what i use, and I'm not interested in neither ATV nor HomePods.

Wait, if I update my iPad to 16, Homekit will stop working? God drat it, Apple.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

SlowBloke posted:

Looks like I’m looking for the cheapest used HomePod Mini or Apple TV (3rd gen is as old as I can go I think?) to buy on eBay and then dump in a corner somewhere.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just get a HomePod mini. They’re pretty good and don’t run out of battery.

The homekit ipad is connected to power 20 hrs per day since the day of purchase, circa 2014. Running out of power isn't an issue, apple wanting to flog poo poo i don't need is.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, definitely not defending that decision by Apple. Just trying to give you the cheapest alternative. I have Minis in all my kids' rooms for music and to yell at them over intercom, and then one in the kitchen that we generally use for Siri commands.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The cheapest alternative is a used AppleTV 4. They're like $60 on eBay, have Ethernet, and sip power.

And honestly I think requiring a fixed device as a hub is not a bad thing to do. But I also understand being upset that they're removing a working solution.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Endless Mike posted:

The cheapest alternative is a used AppleTV 4. They're like $60 on eBay, have Ethernet, and sip power.
Wait I thought the 3rd gen Apple TV worked. Is that getting dropped too?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Question Mark Mound posted:

Wait I thought the 3rd gen Apple TV worked. Is that getting dropped too?

ATV3 doesn't supports certain type of automations so I would guess stuff like matter will be a no go. I would guess their "we support ATV and HomePods" means "we support CURRENT devices in the ATV and HomePods lineup".

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

SlowBloke posted:

The homekit ipad is connected to power 20 hrs per day since the day of purchase, circa 2014. Running out of power isn't an issue, apple wanting to flog poo poo i don't need is.

I believe the issue was lack of support for matter and thread. The appletv is best choice as a hub.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 12, 2022

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Trying to score a CM4 with decent amount of RAM, for my upcoming HA Yellow, is like chasing an unicorn.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Trying to score a CM4 with decent amount of RAM, for my upcoming HA Yellow, is like chasing an unicorn.

I got one from a german shop ( https://www.berrybase.de/ ) last week. They were already sold out again an hour after I got the email notification.
But HA yellow just got pushed back again to the end of july at the earliest, so you'll have more time to find one now :v:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I wonder what the component is that's causing the CM4 delays, they are not that complex and you'd think other manufacturers could step in and ramp up and make clones of them. I've wanted to buy them for work stuff and ended up just going with regular RPi4s.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Must be the SoC itself, because even Lite modules without WLAN are rare AF.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There was a lot of unpredictable behavior with the iPad as a hub, even on a plug. They probably should never have allowed it to begin with. Still sucks they are just getting rid of it though since I am sure a lot of people used it.

Also I am so glad I switched away from Home Assistant to homebridge. It’s a million times smoother and reliable experience.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
An iPad is basically the form factor of the Google or Alexa screen hubs, so it seems like that would've been the most natural option for a home hub base.

I'm pretty sure my Pi should get here today so I'll need to test out Homebridge maybe next week when I have time and see what I think of it and then see if I wanna pay another £65+ for a used 4th gen Apple TV for remote access.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
So I have a deep window well on the side of my house that has open sides (so it doesn't get super hot).

And I just found a dead baby rabbit at the bottom.

Now I'd like to put some sort of motion sensor in there that would alert me when there's motion in the window well. Looks like Zooz makes an outdoor Zwave+ sensor that works on batteries (nice, not required, there's a plug near by).
https://www.amazon.com/Z-Wave-Outdoor-Motion-Sensor-ZSE29/dp/B07KP4T3MS

Anyone have experience with that, or another outdoor sensor that would pick up small animals? Can do Zwave or Zigbee.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Simple answer: Put a piece of board (eg 2x4) in the well leaning on the wall, or a small shelf/step so animals can use that to get out.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Unfortunately is narrow and very deep, I'd have to build a platforming game style setup.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Pi Talk: You can still find Raspberry Pi 400 units for MSRP. The only option is 4GB RAM, but that isn't the worst thing ever. Most activities that would make use of 8GB RAM are probably a little too strenuous for a Pi anyway. The 400 costs a little more than a regular Pi 4 4GB. On the plus side, the 400 has all the ports on one side and you don't have to connect a keyboard at all, so keeping the cabling under control is easier.

What is the cheapest Google Assistant home speaker device that has line out and will work with Youtube Music? We have several Echo Dots with external amps and speakers connected, but we are Youtube Premium subscribers, and that comes with Youtube Music. And Youtube Music doesn't work on Alexa. We bring an Echo and a powered speaker out to our little inflatable pool, but Amazon Prime music sucks and never has the songs we ask for. Amazon makes multiple cheap Alexa devices that have terrible or no speakers but make up for it with line out. I can't seem to find something like that with Google Assistant.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

PBCrunch posted:

Pi Talk: You can still find Raspberry Pi 400 units for MSRP. The only option is 4GB RAM, but that isn't bad. It costs a little more than a regular Pi 4 4GB, but it has all the ports on one side and you don't have to connect a keyboard at all, so organizing the cabling is easier.

What is the cheapest Google Assistant home speaker device that has line out and will work with Youtube Music? We have several Echo Dots with external amps and speakers connected, but we are Youtube Premium subscribers, and that comes with Youtube Music. And Youtube Music doesn't work on Alexa. We bring an Echo and a powered speaker out to our little inflatable pool, but Amazon Prime music sucks and never has the songs we ask for. Amazon makes multiple cheap Alexa devices that have terrible or no speakers but make up for it with line out. I can't seem to find something like that with Google Assistant.

I think you could still source some old chromecast audio if you search hard enough, otherwise panasonic has full blown mini stereos with chromecast inside (sc-hc2020) which while a bit more expensive are very good.

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

Rick posted:

Also I am so glad I switched away from Home Assistant to homebridge. It’s a million times smoother and reliable experience.

Would you mind sharing some of the things that work better on homebridge than home assistant?

I'm planning a new setup and was preparing to use home assistant. However, Siri/HomeKit is my primary (but not exclusive) way I interact with most of my devices. Perhaps homebridge would be simpler for me?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

SlowBloke posted:

I think you could still source some old chromecast audio if you search hard enough, otherwise panasonic has full blown mini stereos with chromecast inside (sc-hc2020) which while a bit more expensive are very good.

I have some CC Audios. They work OK but have three problems:
  • No longer available, and Google is pretty bad about supporting products that weren't a runaway success. I don't want to spend more money on something at high risk of not working in the near future.
  • In my experience the CC Audio does not "play well with others". If it shares USB power with something else it makes crazy amounts of noise. If it is too close to another audio device (like an amplifier) you can expect noise. In particular you will hear this distinctive series of "tapping" sounds out of nowhere. My speculation is this happens during long idle periods when the CC Audio is making sure the wifi is still working.
  • The big problem is that the goal here is to ask for music without hands from the pool. I don't want to get my phone wet. I broke an allegedly IPsixty-whatever phone by the pool last summer and I don't want a repeat.
Home Assistant can do some cool stuff, but you have to be prepared to fiddle with it. If you can't figure out JSON or YAML you probably want to look elsewhere. If you have any desire to keep your data to yourself there really isn't anything better.

I have Home Assistant doing some stuff that I don't think can be repeated with HomeKit. Examples:
  • Using the temperature difference between an ambient temperature probe and a second probe attached to the dryer vent to monitor dryer activity. I can't (don't want to) monitor power consumption because I don't want to cut into a 240VAC circuit.
  • Using a combination of weather forecast data and recent average power consumption of my sump pump to prevent my sprinkler program from running.
  • Setting some ESP8266 RGB LEDs lights to orange when the DNS servers can't be reached, green when laundry is waiting in the dryer, blue when wet laundry is in the washer, etc.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

PBCrunch posted:

Home Assistant can do some cool stuff, but you have to be prepared to fiddle with it. If you can't figure out JSON or YAML you probably want to look elsewhere.

This is becoming less and less a necessity with every release in the last year or two. You may still be using a lot of manual configs, but depending on the plugins you very well may be able to move some/all of that to the GUI at this point.

It was absolutely 100% necessary and a huge turn off for people not used to digging in when I first started using HA 3/4 years ago.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Motronic posted:

This is becoming less and less a necessity with every release in the last year or two. You may still be using a lot of manual configs, but depending on the plugins you very well may be able to move some/all of that to the GUI at this point.

It was absolutely 100% necessary and a huge turn off for people not used to digging in when I first started using HA 3/4 years ago.

lol, the chagelog for the last update of one my integrations was literally "finally getting rid of manual configs since no one uses those anymore". It really is so much easier to use HA than it was just a couple of years ago.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Motronic posted:

Home Assistant does require less JSON/YAML molesting than it used to. In particular the Lovelace interface can do a lot through the web UI.

If you aren't prepared for the possibility of editing a config file, you could be in for a bumpy ride.

Stuff in my setup that doesn't work right without some config file editing:
  • Ping binary sensors
  • Smart switches that present as lights but are actually fans or other device types (I have some two-switch light switches in my bathrooms that present as two lights). There is now some GUI stuff that can make a switch entity masquerade as another type, but no such magic for lights.
  • Most stuff with templating

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

PBCrunch posted:

• The big problem is that the goal here is to ask for music without hands from the pool. I don't want to get my phone wet. I broke an allegedly IPsixty-whatever phone by the pool last summer and I don't want a repeat.

My outdoor setup is a Google Mini hidden way up in the eave of the free standing garage paired to Chromecast Audio connected to a pair of outdoor speakers. Google Minis can default to another speaker for audio. You could use a Chromecast enabled receiver paired to a Mini located in a place where it is unlikely to get wet. There are some companies that allegedly disassemble Minis and make them weatherproof, I don't know if they are legit though. I just didn't bother, if the Mini gets wet where it is located we have much bigger problems then it getting ruined. It's actually a great setup for our use, our outdoor fan and fountain are controlled by it and our string lights are native Google so you can control everything with just your voice.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Any recommendations for a simple wi-fi garage alarm? Right now we've got a very basic motion sensor/noise maker, but I'd like something that also sends a notification to me.

A camera's not necessary or wanted.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to get notified in HomeAssistant if sensors fall off the network?

I have the below Aqara / LUMI Zigbee door sensors all over the place and occasionally they stop working and need to be re-paired. Our current failure mode is just "oh hey, we don't seem to be getting notifications any more" and then we go in and sure enough, there's no battery percentage next to the device in HA. So far, none of these have fallen off because the batteries fail.

Also, I've tried putting wired Zigbee devices close by which has helped but hasn't halted the problem. I'd love tips on that as well. Still would be nice to have a notification when it falls off either way.

This is the device:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Hed posted:

Is there a way to get notified in HomeAssistant if sensors fall off the network?

I have the below Aqara / LUMI Zigbee door sensors all over the place and occasionally they stop working and need to be re-paired. Our current failure mode is just "oh hey, we don't seem to be getting notifications any more" and then we go in and sure enough, there's no battery percentage next to the device in HA. So far, none of these have fallen off because the batteries fail.

Also, I've tried putting wired Zigbee devices close by which has helped but hasn't halted the problem. I'd love tips on that as well. Still would be nice to have a notification when it falls off either way.

This is the device:

It seems to be an ongoing issue with Aqara Zigbee devices. I have those same door sensors, as well as a temp/humidity monitor and several of the pushbuttons.

They work 99% of the time, but about once a month one of them will just drop off the network and Home Assistant can't see it anymore. Re-pairing them fixes it, and HA is smart enough to recognize that it's the same device, so I don't have to reconfigure anything. I'm not sure why it happens though. I have a ton of non-Aqara Zigbee devices in my house that this never happens to.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I guess I could put in an automation for if any of those devices become battery <= 20% OR unavailable? The latter would cover it falling off. I just need to figure out what unavailable looks like in the HA automations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Hed posted:

I guess I could put in an automation for if any of those devices become battery <= 20% OR unavailable? The latter would cover it falling off. I just need to figure out what unavailable looks like in the HA automations.

Yeah, that's exactly what I do for my Aquara humidity sensors: Send myself a notification if the battery state goes to 'unavailable' (no quotes) or 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I have a small speaker hooked up to the Pi that runs my Home Assistant for audible warnings, but it's only useful when I'm home and on the same floor.

I'd like to have Home Assistant be able to send me Emails or texts, but all of the methods I've looked up have some element that is difficult to set up or requires signing up for another (paid) service. Does anyone have an easy way to do this?