Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

best bale posted:

That is a beautiful table

Agreed, really amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

It has begun. Time to build my Americans/Normandy board for Chain of Command.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Finished off 6 point warbands, should have a Saga game this Saturday. One thing I'm not sure about : how does equipment that reduces your armor interact with the rule that armor must be between 2 and 6- ie can I lower bow levies twice to 2-1 or increase daneaxe hearthguard twice to 7-1?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

SpaceViking posted:

It has begun. Time to build my Americans/Normandy board for Chain of Command.

Hell yeah!

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

anyone else on this 2 mm tip? still plowing away on battletech terrain but i found a source of free lexan to make my terrain boards so my idea is starting to pull together. printed off some artillery to prototype a concept for blucher. thinking 3 smaller bases on a large base (probably in a recess/slot with magnets, not sitting on top like have here), that way a player can mass his artillery to form units or disperse them to brigades (and these will be used as markers basically)

This is amazing. It’s perfect for Blucher. Do you have some way of marking unit characteristics? That’s my one complaint about Blucher - it seems to be designed for unit cards and moving to models can be awkward.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Notahippie posted:

This is amazing. It’s perfect for Blucher. Do you have some way of marking unit characteristics? That’s my one complaint about Blucher - it seems to be designed for unit cards and moving to models can be awkward.

Yeah actually the guy whos models I'm probably going to be using the lions share of (whatever he doesn't have that I need I'm modelling myself in Solidworks - at this scale simple geometric shapes work quite well + custom bases and such) - Project Wargaming has a bunch of tokens specifically for Blucher. A pic of some stuff in my slicing program and also a screen cap from one of his vids:

He has them all magnetized and can drop the applicable tokens and elan/ammo markers on the bases as needed. Seems to work really well. For me, I'm not sure whether I like the more "boardgamey" aesthetic of including those tokens and such, or whether I'll just be slapping paper labels on the back with some stylistic "[French Flag] IV Corps - 1/2nd Brigade (GdB Thiébault)" etc., and using dry erase sheets for record keeping. I know it's more work that way but I haven't settled on how I want it to look. Although I'm thinking I'll leave a strip at the back anyway and decide whether I want tokens or labels when I get there.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The correct answer is "both". You want the flags for the visual impact and the at-a-glance unit identification, and you want the tokens for tracking the filddly game effects.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Holy crap I love this.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I like big bases and I cannot lie

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lilljonas posted:

I like big bases and I cannot lie

yeah. i used to obsess over making multi-functional bases so i could play all sorts of stuff with my 6 mm guys before i sold them. settled on 40 mm x 20 mm for my second rebasing. now that i'm coming back and approaching it from a "3d-printed with 2 mm figures" angle, settling on big bases seems obvious. i'm only playing for me, and at 2 mm, i only want to play big battles. it just looks so much better.

i'm going ahead with printing and painting starting this week i think, as long as i can stay motivated in this intense heat

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Hell yes brother. I finally moved to a place with room for a 6x4 board and I'm embarking on a Big Base DBA project. It'll be useful for that, TtS! or ADLG.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

yeah. i used to obsess over making multi-functional bases so i could play all sorts of stuff with my 6 mm guys before i sold them. settled on 40 mm x 20 mm for my second rebasing. now that i'm coming back and approaching it from a "3d-printed with 2 mm figures" angle, settling on big bases seems obvious. i'm only playing for me, and at 2 mm, i only want to play big battles. it just looks so much better.

i'm going ahead with printing and painting starting this week i think, as long as i can stay motivated in this intense heat

Same, I ended up doing classic WRG basing style for my 6mm samurai, but looking back, large brigade style bases just look great for the really small scales.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just wondering - do any of you have suggestions for grass for basing in 28mm / 1/56 scale? Since I finally found a good deal on the Warlord farmyard animals (and a little thatch roof barn :3: ) so I decided to get it, to add to my friend an my Bolt Action tables now and again, when we're not fighting in urban environments.

So yeah, my troops are all based on gravel, so I don't have any grass that I've used for them. Meanwhile, my friend bases his guys on mud and snow, so he doesn't have any handy, either. Apparently he reckons Leadbear does good grass tufts, although I'd have to order them online, since my FLGS doesn't seem to stock it. (Or any other grass, for that matter)
Either way, does anyone have recommendations for the specific grass to use as a pasture/grazing field, at that scale? I'm probably thinking I might get three sorts, depending on availability:

1) Short green grass (cropped by animals or mowed, either way. This'll be most of the grass used I imagine)
2) Longer green grass (since it's a field, it won't always be even ofc)
3) Longer off-green/brown grass (just to be like, weeds poking through here and there)

I've never used grass tufts before, so any tips are appreciated! At this point I guess I'll just spray the bases with the model, paint it dirt brown (in case there are some more obvious bits of the base showing between the grass tufts) and then just stick a bunch of tufts on it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I bought a bag of GW's static grass something like 20 years ago and for whatever reason it still hasn't run out. Multiple terrain projects, two completed Flames of War armies, all my old 40K and Warhammer Fantasy armies, my BattleTech and a bunch of random other stuff. Sadly they don't seem to sell it anymore, but their tufts look alright.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

I bought a bag of GW's static grass something like 20 years ago and for whatever reason it still hasn't run out. Multiple terrain projects, two completed Flames of War armies, all my old 40K and Warhammer Fantasy armies, my BattleTech and a bunch of random other stuff. Sadly they don't seem to sell it anymore, but their tufts look alright.

Yeah a bag of static grass lasts for ages, every time I look in my basing box it feels like there's static grass bags everywhere. As for tufts, my own strategy is that I like being able to mix tufts, so I just tend to chuck on a any time I buy from a shop that carries them.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Don't pay GW prices for this stuff. Model Railroad supplies are almost always cheaper and better.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Cessna posted:

Don't pay GW prices for this stuff. Model Railroad supplies are almost always cheaper and better.

Noch makes good static grass. They are often blended with more colours etc. which I think give it a bit of a more natural look compared to the somewhat plasticy green of some static grasses. Also, Mininatur makes some of my favourite tufts. They're not cheap, but I especially like their tufts with flowers on.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I still have two huge tubs of Warlord static grass that I will almost certainly predecease

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I have fully embraced the grog and just use sawdust I've tinted with paint as flock.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Endman posted:

I still have two huge tubs of Warlord static grass that I will almost certainly predecease

They can be used to flock your grave. :rip:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Pierzak posted:

They can be used to flock your grave. :rip:

A terracotta warriors style grave, but with legions of 15mm minis

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

lilljonas posted:

A terracotta warriors style grave, but with legions of 15mm minis

Funnily enough, there are several Han dynasty graves that included small-scale terracotta armies, with like 6” scale figures, so that isn’t too far off from reality.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Pre-Han too, it's actually likely from the little funerary figurines that the emperor's life-sized ones were drawn from in the first place. The original practice was for human sacrifices interred with the deceased, but by the Eastern Zhou (being vague since I forget when exactly; somewhere in the 1st millennium BCE; Terracotta Army is ~200 for reference) these got replaced with miniature figurines instead of actual sacrifices. Qin Shi Huang, being the first emperor and larger than life in most other ways, just took what would normally be a little entourage of miniature servants and made it a life-sized army.

There's also a theory that the life-sized terracotta figures were inspired by the Indo-Greeks, since life-sized representations of humans don't really occur in East Asia (or India) before Greek influence, but it's always struck me as a little chauvinist; the first emperor's tomb was ridiculously extravagant in a whole host of other ways (booby traps, a mausoleum the size of a palace, a map of China with lakes of mercury), I hardly think it'd be beyond him to take the existing funerary figure tradition and turn them life sized.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That tomb sounds rad as poo poo, where can I read more? It's crying out to get dungeoncrawled.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's weird to really, really want that tomb excavated and also want it to stay as is.

That said if you don't want your ideal tomb to have poo poo like this you are no true wargamer imo :colbert:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Dying with hundreds of unpainted figures is the most wargaming way to go.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Ensign Expendable posted:

lol absoleutly this but also :negative:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Traditional Games > Historicals: Dying with hundreds of unpainted figures is the most wargaming way to go.

:mods:?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

drat an entire thread murdered in a single post

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

While I apprecate the joke, I feel I should point out they were painted when he was buried.

Look upon my works you mighty and tremble, the three coats of varnish were not enough....

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

I feel I should point out they were painted when he was buried.

So it is true what they say, that a wargamer will die when all his models are painted... :ohdear:

good thing I don't have nothing to worry about then :haw:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Pierzak posted:

So it is true what they say, that a wargamer will die when all his models are painted... :ohdear:

So, if I was to put one of my unpainted minis in a small box and hide it before finishing painting up my other minis, would that mean that I'll be the wargamer equivalent of a lich? :D

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 27, 2022

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

The ultimate wargamer dream... forcing thousands of sculptors and painters to produce a massive bespoke model army, complete with fully functional weapons, for you that you will never actually use.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

MeinPanzer posted:

The ultimate wargamer dream... forcing thousands of sculptors and painters to produce a massive bespoke model army, complete with fully functional weapons, for you that you will never actually use.

Okay, now my historical minitures side is being attacked.....

I plan on basing my Romans so they can be used as kingdom of Men for Kings of war as well as BP and Infamy Infamy. Then they will get some table time!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

So, if I was to put one of my unpainted minis in a small box and hide it before finishing painting up my other minis, would that mean that I'll be the wargamer equivalent of a lich? :D

Until your great-grandchildren paint your phylacteries for fun and see you reenact the "he chose poorly" scene from the Last Crusade.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Pierzak posted:

:hmmyes:

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
Speaking of Wargames Atlantic previewed a new Warring States range (really just an infantry box and a chariot box) a while back that would make a great miniature Terracotta Army:

https://wargamesatlantic.com/blogs/news/new-range-warring-states

I wish I liked Wargames Atlantic more, because they're incredibly productive and are making great niche models at a very affordable price, but I've found their models to be consistently too stiffly posed, blocky, and/or low-detail to be worth buying :ohdear:.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I think they fill a useful niche for the most part - solid multi part posables for units you want a lot of. They’re not GW or Perry plastics by any means but they are good enough to put on the tabletop in bulk. I’d have them for generic line infantry but I wouldn’t be looking to them for much fancier than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
On a different track, we just reviewed Cold War Commander 2E:
https://anchor.fm/fortified-niche/episodes/19---Cold-War-Commander-2E-e1kgsk8