Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Avasculous posted:

I am curious on what's going on with his wife though.

at the very least, she's a starfucker. Whether she's doing it for herself, or to manipulate the fresca-sippers back into a little power, we'll have to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Frenchie and Kimiko had the "one more job until retirement" speech so I hope they both live though probably not.

I don't want to see any of the boys die at this point but if i had to pick it would be MM. He's the glue that holds the team together so his death would be a point of no return. Additionally he's a safeguard Butcher put on the team in case he pushed too hard so this would be an example of Butcher managing to even burn that down and demonstrate that he can't even keep the team safe from himself let alone Homelander.

Still, I would prefer none of them at this point.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

christmas boots posted:

I've a feeling Hughie's about to become a world-class insufferable prick for a few episodes, so maybe hold that thought.

Oh poo poo, Ep6 is titled Herogasm.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 13, 2022

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I've a feeling Hughie's about to become a world-class insufferable prick for a few episodes, so maybe hold that thought.

become?

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Frankly I'd be totally okay with Frenchie dying because his side stories are usually kind of boring and I hate the romantic angle they added between him and Kimiko. 99% of the changes from the comic have been objective improvements but I really did prefer the father/daughter dynamic between them a lot more.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Even more of one, I mean.

I'm really expecting him to do something incredibly stupid with Starlight.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Oh poo poo, Ep6 is titled Herogasm.

Nah, Hughie's loving up big time but I understand why he's made the choices he's made and tbh I don't think he really ever fully processed the trauma of watching his girlfriend get run over by an A-Train and not having the power to do anything to stop it or hold him accountable.

That boy needs therapy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Personally I like Hughie. He is just a man who is dating out of his league the most in human history, and I think he's doing a fine job under the circumstances.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
This all could have been averted if he'd gone to the gym a few more times and been able to open that jar so if we take any lesson from this...

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

zoux posted:

Personally I like Hughie. He is just a man who is dating out of his league the most in human history, and I think he's doing a fine job under the circumstances.

Yeah, the thing with Hughie is that the normal Insecure Boyfriend trope hinges on a boyfriend who lacks perceived emotional or financial stability, whereas Hughie is literally not physically secure in his person, since he's constantly surrounded by people who could turn him into a homogeneous red slurry at a moment's notice. He is barely clinging to stage 1 of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. It's a much more sympathetic situation.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Yeah I don't hate Hughie the same way a lot of people itt do. He's relatable and realistically flawed. When he (stupidly) lies to Annie he does it because he's trying to protect her or someone else

I'm not going to defend any of his stupidest mistakes but I don't understand why so many people are saying he's just as much of a piece of poo poo as Homelander and Butcher

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yeah, the thing with Hughie is that the normal Insecure Boyfriend trope hinges on a boyfriend who lacks perceived emotional or financial stability, whereas Hughie is literally not physically secure in his person, since he's constantly surrounded by people who could turn him into a homogeneous red slurry at a moment's notice. He is barely clinging to stage 1 of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. It's a much more sympathetic situation.

I think what he's going through is different than the situation Annie described on their bowling date that she had with her first boyfriend, but it's going to read to her as the same thing that she said she was afraid of.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think Annie's smart enough to know what's up.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

drat the severity of Homelander’s action really just hit me hard, like he murdered Annie’s high school sweetie pie, her first love. It almost transcends comic book villainy, or takes it to a new level

forcing that poor girl to kill herself stills seems worse to me

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah, I think between Hughie breaking down in the car about all of it and Homelander's very graphic threat and demonstration I have to think she will see this differently than just insecurity that he's weaker than a girl. Especially because that's never really been an issue between them before.

babypolis posted:

forcing that poor girl to kill herself stills seems worse to me

The flight is probably the worst thing he's done in absolute terms but it's interesting how everyone has a different opinion about what they feel is that worst thing. Like for me, the Timothy scene is right at the top because it's a deliberate pre-meditated decision coupled with what forcing someone to eat a being he can hear begging for its life and praying

christmas boots fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 13, 2022

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i hope hugie dies because i am the sicko outside ur window going yes yes

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hughie is dealing with everything that has happened to him since day 1 better than anyone in this thread would have.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Not me. I'd be dating Starlight and Maeve and opening all my jars with my powerful forearms.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
So if frenchie or mother’s milk got powers i suppose frenchie would make sense getting teleportation (A-train and hughie are constantly running away from their problems) or maybe mind reading if you look at him and kimiko.

Mothers milk has a lot of anger so i guess eye lasers make sense but there’s also the OCD and his family so maybe like a protective bubble thing?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

You run the jar under hot water and it just, opens.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
just eat something else, if the jar does not open easily, your guardian angel is keeping it shut for a reason.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Khanstant posted:

just eat something else, if the jar does not open easily, your guardian angel is keeping it shut for a reason.

It's a jar of olives.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
yeah well sometimes when youre hoovering the pimento out you inhale too hard and what if he got an olive lodged in his throat and choked to death?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Have we gotten any backstory or hints on what the deal is between MM and Soldier Boy?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
do they not teach you about the ol bang the jar on the counter top trick down at the feral child school these days.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Chemtrailologist posted:

Have we gotten any backstory or hints on what the deal is between MM and Soldier Boy?

Soldier boy killed MM’s family

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I think the stupidest Hughie moment is actually breaking his arm as an excuse. Just slap a cast on it. I seriously doubt he had time that episode to both go to a doctor and go on a mission in a single day

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Khanstant posted:

yeah well sometimes when youre hoovering the pimento out you inhale too hard and what if he got an olive lodged in his throat and choked to death?

It's only what you deserve for eating lovely olives.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Which is a little confusing, because MM has spoken about his crusade and inheriting it from his father repeatedly without mentioning that.

Thundercracker posted:

I think the stupidest Hughie moment is actually breaking his arm as an excuse. Just slap a cast on it. I seriously doubt he had time that episode to both go to a doctor and go on a mission in a single day

He said Neumann would "smell" a fake injury/sickness. I'm not sure if that's a reference to her investigative talent or he actually thinks Supes can smell broken bones and flu infections.

Also MM was a field medic.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 13, 2022

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Interesting. In the season 3 preview there was a brief shot of SB attacking A-Train's brother at what looked like a community meeting and being confronted by A-Train. It would be boring and predictable if there were another supe introduced whose dark secret is being a racist.

nm: I just watched it again and it's Blue Hawk

Chemtrailologist fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 13, 2022

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

All of them are racist hth

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

In MM’s closet full of old newspaper clippings it was implied that supes back in the day were “cleaning up the streets”* no doubt because of mallory flooding the poor areas with drugs

So it seems MM’s family were caught in the crossfire.

*of black people

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

christmas boots posted:

Frenchie and Kimiko had the "one more job until retirement" speech so I hope they both live though probably not.

I don't want to see any of the boys die at this point but if i had to pick it would be MM. He's the glue that holds the team together so his death would be a point of no return. Additionally he's a safeguard Butcher put on the team in case he pushed too hard so this would be an example of Butcher managing to even burn that down and demonstrate that he can't even keep the team safe from himself let alone Homelander.

My guess is that both MM and Frenchie bite it this season. Frenchie for the aforementioned reasons, and because it would be crass to kill off Kimiko. MM has been the heart of the team and the check on Butcher, but increasingly less capable of doing either thing effectively for reasons beyond his control. Soldier Boy showing up is going to push him even more off the edge, and he has basically said goodbye to his family already. All too likely that he wants to eliminate Soldier Boy and either botches it or comes into conflict with Butcher (who will want to make sure Soldier Boy nullifies Homelander first) who will have fewer compunctions about killing one of his own team. Which then sets up the S5 conflict, if they're going in the same direction as the comics.

Chemtrailologist posted:

In S2 there was some mention of some sort of legal conflict between MM's dad and Vought, which then led to his father getting killed by a supe. It isn't super clear exactly how things went down, but whatever it was involved Soldier Boy and obviously traumatized the hell out of MM.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 13, 2022

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Butcher kills MM because MM kills soldier boy before they can use him against Homelander,frenchie finds out and takes kimiko away.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

Frankly I'd be totally okay with Frenchie dying because his side stories are usually kind of boring and I hate the romantic angle they added between him and Kimiko. 99% of the changes from the comic have been objective improvements but I really did prefer the father/daughter dynamic between them a lot more.

Much of the comic is bad, and Frenchie's origins are incredibly bizarre, but I really liked the bit where he tells the Female if she ever gets the urge to murder again, she can murder him and he won't mind

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

I liked them playing reverse strip poker in the comic.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

christmas boots posted:

This all could have been averted if he'd gone to the gym a few more times and been able to open that jar so if we take any lesson from this...

I like to imagine that Starlight is making a late night PBJ after work and lazily screwing back on the cap with a 600 horsepower death grip which is why Hewie needs her help every morning

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Mat Cauthon posted:

In S2 there was some mention of some sort of legal conflict between MM's dad and Vought, which then led to his father getting killed by a supe. It isn't super clear exactly how things went down, but whatever it was involved Soldier Boy and obviously traumatized the hell out of MM.

He said that he used to go to sleep and wake up to the sound of his dad typing on a typewriter (working on the wrongful death suit of "something between my family and Vought that I'd rather not talk about but it was bad"), then one morning he didn't hear it, and his dad was slumped over on his desk. It was vaguely worded enough that he might have been killed or just worked himself to death. I always interpreted the latter but honestly the former wouldn't be surprising (and cheaper for Vought in the long run).

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 13, 2022

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Avasculous posted:

He said Neumann would "smell" a fake injury/sickness. I'm not sure if that's a reference to her investigative talent or he actually thinks Supes can smell broken bones and flu infections.

Homelander and Ryan have both shown the ability to detect someone's pulse, so sensing a fake broken bone seems plausible.

Bust Rodd posted:

I like to imagine that Starlight is making a late night PBJ after work and lazily screwing back on the cap with a 600 horsepower death grip which is why Hewie needs her help every morning

Yeah, this is a problem that happens in any relationship with a large strength difference. Only now, it's superpowered.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Chamale posted:

Homelander and Ryan have both shown the ability to detect someone's pulse, so sensing a fake broken bone seems plausible.

You're right. Ryan also said something to Butcher about his blood smelling wrong.

Hughie probably thinks Neumann shares this ability because she saw through his herpes bluff and ate his bagel.