Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Insurance companies actually hire Real Math Majors with masters in math to design and build , I forget what they're called, not amortization tables, but similar sounding. The business model is as follows (replace "recall" with "insurance product") starting at the 0:36 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiB8GVMNJkE

Fake edit: actuary table

TL;DR the actuary math analysts would not sign off on selling you insurance if there was any probability that you would get your money back

It's a little suprising they aren't required to publish the chances you'll actually break even based on their internal models

More unrelated, there's actually an "iron bank" of reinsurers in Switzerland that all insurance companies in the US buy, in case their profit margins end up negative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

The goon does have a Chrysler product.......

Yeah a highly complex FCA jawn is like the one circumstance where I might consider an OEM extended warranty.

The main downside other than trying to beat the actuarial tables is that you would have to get the car fixed at your local CDJR dealer, but I don’t think that most Indy joints are too keen on working on the Pacifica PHEV so you’re probably going to have to go there anyway. At least when the tech starts throwing parts at the problem you won’t have to pay for it.

How much money is it and what’s the coverage look like?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
As of today the Honda Insight that I was promised that was already shipped and on its way for delivery with an ETA of 05/20 and on I had already worked with the dealer on my finances and got everything done prior to that date a few days ahead based on their confidence it would arrive around that time frame. Now I am onto week 3 and still no word. Really irritates me that they have no idea when and where delivery trucks are going to drive.

loving pisses me off. This car market is stupid asf but I am an idiot as well.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Green Gloves posted:

As of today the Honda Insight that I was promised that was already shipped and on its way for delivery with an ETA of 05/20 and on I had already worked with the dealer on my finances and got everything done prior to that date a few days ahead based on their confidence it would arrive around that time frame. Now I am onto week 3 and still no word. Really irritates me that they have no idea when and where delivery trucks are going to drive.

loving pisses me off. This car market is stupid asf but I am an idiot as well.

That sucks.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Fyi your dealership sells you the extended warranty from the manufacturer, and the manufacturer similarly pays for any and all work carried out under said warranty.
The reason they push the warranties so hard on that end is because they charge you double (or more) what they cost.
However, if you can demonstrate you know the score, they'll generally sell one to you for a couple hundred bucks of profit.

The last car I bought was a Ford in 2015. I paid $1000CAD for the nearly $2k extended warranty. (And got nothing out of it. There was one repair done under warranty and it was covered by the standard one)

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I recall that there was a guy on some 4Runner forums who worked for a dealer and was selling manufacturer warranties for near cost to other forum members. I didn't partake, but there were years of positive reviews in the thread, so I'm assuming it was legit.

You may be able to find something similar for your own vehicle out there if you really want the warranty.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

just say no to any and all questions that have the word warranty imo

e: the dealer will use the same tactic on you when you try to use it later

ethanol fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 8, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This may surprise you but car manufacturers also hire masters level math majors to do actuary work

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Don’t buy an extended warranty on a brand new 4Runner

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Throatwarbler posted:

Don’t buy an extended warranty on a brand new 4Runner

Yeah, I definitely didn't and wouldn't. It's an outdated dinosaur that's drat near Land Cruiser level reliable (paid for in poor mpg). I was just letting whoever had brought warranties up know about possible other sources of manufacturer warranties.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I need a sanity check.

I'm moving across country shortly and the KBB value of my car is about at what it'll cost to ship it. While I've got a decent chunk in savings and my partner's landing with a job, I don't know what my situation's going to be like. My car's a 2003 Civic with under 100,000 miles on it that I've regularly maintained for the decade-plus I've owned it. It's peeling paint, but mechanically sound. Even if the private sale value is equal to the shipping cost, and there's no guarantee it would be, there's absolutely no financial sense in selling the thing and trying to buy a replacement in this market once I've moved, correct?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

grassy gnoll posted:

I need a sanity check.

I'm moving across country shortly and the KBB value of my car is about at what it'll cost to ship it. While I've got a decent chunk in savings and my partner's landing with a job, I don't know what my situation's going to be like. My car's a 2003 Civic with under 100,000 miles on it that I've regularly maintained for the decade-plus I've owned it. It's peeling paint, but mechanically sound. Even if the private sale value is equal to the shipping cost, and there's no guarantee it would be, there's absolutely no financial sense in selling the thing and trying to buy a replacement in this market once I've moved, correct?

If you're ready to get rid of it, then sell it and buy something else. If you like it and want to keep it, then ship it. It seems to make no difference financially.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

One, I find it very likely that in today's market that a well-maintained 2003 Civic with low mileage, regardless of what KBB says, is going to be much more than the cost to ship it. Push those numbers even further in your favor by moving it yourself (drive it, tow it, whatever).

Two, you would be trading in a devil you know for a devil you very much don't. If it's not dying from rust, I'd still expect years of inexpensive use out of that Civic. The majority of vehicles you're going to find at similar price points are going to have at least some deferred maintenance issues for you to catch up on.

Keep the car unless you're looking to move up to something significantly newer / different.

To put it another way, the best case for selling the car and buying one out there is that you sell your car for X where you're at, and buy an effectively identical car for X where you end up, and your net cost to do so is $0 instead of $shipping. But I don't like the odds of that playing out in your favor.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah I agree. If you have something that works well and is maintained I'd hang onto it!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The one caveat I'd give is if you live in a road salt area and your car is low value because it's rusted to poo poo. Nobody out west is going to want to buy it, so its remaining value will be if you can get a dealer to make a tradein offer without looking at it closely.

Alternatively, if you were thinking of buying a much newer car for a lot more money, that's an option. But if you can avoid doing that for a year or two, that might save you some money, because boy is the car buying situation in america bad right now.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Thanks, y'all. I was pretty sure keeping the car was the right choice, but one of my inlaws was trying to convince me otherwise. Nice person, but unless he wants to cover my car payment, I think I'll pass.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

grassy gnoll posted:

Thanks, y'all. I was pretty sure keeping the car was the right choice, but one of my inlaws was trying to convince me otherwise. Nice person, but unless he wants to cover my car payment, I think I'll pass.

How much is cross country shipping now? I hear prices are absolutely nuts now.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Coast to coast in an open carrier is like $2200, enclosed white glove is like $3250

5x that if you're shipping an oversized boat :suicide:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Excuse the reddit link but I had to share this spectacular financing fail

https://www.reddit.com/r/ToyotaTaco...utm_name=iossmf

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That, combined with an incredibly uneducated buyer who doesn't understand that "purchase price" and "total amount paid after financing" aren't the same if you don't have 0% subsidized financing.

Saving you all the clicks:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I mean, yeah you can refinance a car loan. But, I wouldn't bet $20000 on it, and banking on the possibility of getting a rate in 6 months (7-8%) that you cannot qualify for today is also not smart. Also 7-8% is still hella high although closer to acceptable if you need need need a car now and have bad credit. Being poor is almost always expensive.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

OP updated that they got 2.5 at a credit union. Not sure if they actually got that or just said it so people would stop dunking on them.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

How much is cross country shipping now? I hear prices are absolutely nuts now.

About 1500 bucks from where I am currently. Up a good bit from some friends moving their Fit the same direction right before the pandemic.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Proposed Budget: under $40,000
New or Used: New
Body Style: 4 door sedan to smallish SUV, preferably hybrid
How will you be using the car?: This will be my daily driver. My commute is from my bed to my laptop or 4 miles when I decide to go in (rare). I just want a small grocery getter that I can go out of town with on weekends and occasionally drive 300 miles to see my family. Any further and I'll rent something.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, cost of ownership, and if possible I'd like to get a plug-in hybrid so I don't have to pay $$$$ for gas for in-town trips.
Florida, US

I was all set to buy a Crosstrek Hybrid but they don't sell them in Florida. I could fly somewhere to get it but that seems like a lot of work. This is my first new car and I'd prefer to avoid added complexity if possible. Now I'm looking at the Prius Prime which checks all my boxes but feels maybe a little small? I can't test drive anything as I live in Orlando and cars are still selling before they hit the lot for the most part.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You will never, ever recoup the additional cost of a hybrid in this car market with that kind of usage pattern. Even with gas prices this high. It makes sense for people who commute highway distances every day, not someone getting groceries once a week.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Plastik posted:

Proposed Budget: under $40,000
New or Used: New
Body Style: 4 door sedan to smallish SUV, preferably hybrid
How will you be using the car?: This will be my daily driver. My commute is from my bed to my laptop or 4 miles when I decide to go in (rare). I just want a small grocery getter that I can go out of town with on weekends and occasionally drive 300 miles to see my family. Any further and I'll rent something.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, cost of ownership, and if possible I'd like to get a plug-in hybrid so I don't have to pay $$$$ for gas for in-town trips.
Florida, US

I was all set to buy a Crosstrek Hybrid but they don't sell them in Florida. I could fly somewhere to get it but that seems like a lot of work. This is my first new car and I'd prefer to avoid added complexity if possible. Now I'm looking at the Prius Prime which checks all my boxes but feels maybe a little small? I can't test drive anything as I live in Orlando and cars are still selling before they hit the lot for the most part.

Prius has that hatchback tardis phenomenon; it has more cargo room than a RAV4 or Highlander. Get the Prime if PHEV isn’t an economic decision for you.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Hi thread, after buying a Miata and a Prius I am back for another recommendation.

Proposed Budget
: $15k, flexible
New or Used: Used
Body Style: probably 2 door truck or station wagon or something. Open to suggestion. Needs to have a back seat I can put a booster in.
How will you be using the car?: I need to replace my 20 year old Elantra hatchback you all told me to get way back when (it has been delightful, thank you! but is now dying). We use the Elantra as a secondary errand-running car a few times a week. We also use it as a hauler. We don't like using the Prius for this because hey, it is a nice new car and we don't want to fill it with bags of dump trash and manure for the garden. A few trips each month, to the point where we've considered getting a truck just so I don't have to try and fit another couch or mulch pile into the back of the Elantra.
We currently fit our camping stuff into the Prius but man, it's tight and there's no room for the pizza oven. Would be nice to be able to use the new car/truck to haul our camping gear and bikes for trips (around 1x/month).

What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, cost of ownership. I'd love an electric or hybrid but I doubt any exist in the sub-15k range; however good mpg would be nice.

We sold the Miata, btw, it was lovely but I quit my job with the nice commute. It was so much fun though, and now my five year old points at every Porsche, Z4, and Lotus she sees on the road and says "Look! a Miata!" so thank you all for that.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
drat, spent all weekend digging through carvana, carmax, local dealerships, facebook marketplace, craigslist and AAA Truecar listings trying to find a new Subaru Outback Premium or used one with less than 120k miles, and what a bleak shitshow.

I gave up on Ford Maverick after reaching out to at least a dozen dealerships nationwide on Saturday that claimed to have a Maverick in stock for MSRP, and wound up with dead ends across the board, so I pivoted to Outbacks since that ticks most of my boxes and I figured there should be plenty of them out there. If I have to wait 2-3 months to order a new Outback, may as well just wait till August and order a Maverick.

After doing a buncha research, I swung by a local dealership this afternoon to talk about potential new cars coming into stock and see what they had on the lot. In particular they had a 2015 Outback Premium with 106k miles listed at 18,439$ on their website. KBB shows 17,400$ average list price and the car had been on their lot for almost a month so I thought I might be able to get it to 17,500$ which I think would be fair. Whelp, turns out the reason nobody wants that outback is the previous owner was clearly a smoker and the vehicle reeked, I'm not even sure the dealer ever even bothered detailing it. But I clenched my nose and took a test drive with all the windows down (which I greatly regretted afterwards), but thought hey maybe it can be cleaned and ozoned. So I talked to the sales associate, mentioned KBB and asked if they could do anything with the price to bring it closer to average list price. Also showed him a listing for a newer 2016 Subaru from another dealership the next state over with same color, better Limited level trim, eyesight adaptive cruise, and listed 500$ cheaper. Instead the dealer doubled down and printed out their pricing software showing they were 5 of 13 for price, so I mentioned that KBB shows 7.7% decrease in resale value for smokers cars, but they wouldn't budge so I thanked them for their time and headed home.

In the before fore, I'd never even touch or consider a smoker's car, but now I'm so desperate I wasted three hours beating my head against the wall at a dealership in an attempt to reasonably overpay for crap.

Tomorrow I'm going to try another local used car dealership that ostensibly has a 2010 Outback with 103,000 miles for 9,000$. Figure that would be enough to get me through a few years when things stabilize, though I suspect the vehicle has already been looking at the carfax.

If that falls through I'm legitimately contemplating calling up the dealership in Philadelphia, seeing if there's any big red flags, putting money down, take Wednesday off work to fly over there, buy the car, and drive eight hours back home.

I just want a roofrack so I can take my kayak out again :negative:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
I know it’s not me being interested in a new car, but is there a write up or article that can give me the tldr on why used car prices are completely hosed right now?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lady Radia posted:

I know it’s not me being interested in a new car, but is there a write up or article that can give me the tldr on why used car prices are completely hosed right now?

Cars depend heavily on semiconductors for sensors and engine management. Those are in short supply and have been for quite a while. Thus new car output is restricted, so people are buying used cars instead. Higher demand leads to scarcity and higher prices.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Automakers freaked out and cut capacity at the start of the pandemic which hosed them on chips once they tried to order there was no capacity available, and then a ton of covid and Ukraine supply chain issues.

As an example, If the car market is normally 10 million cars made and sold and you only manufacture 5 million one year then even if you get up to 11 million next year it’d still take you 5 years to make up demand.

But my impression is they’re still below average, and no one is trying too hard since they’re making money at the current levels.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Budget $25,000 hard max, aiming for something closer to $18,000. Need a new-ish small SUV for the missus' commuting and for more space than the tiny cars I keep buying. Most important for me are safety, adaptive cruise control, and MPG, but I'd really like something that feels nice to own, you know?

Been thinking of Crosstreks or maybe as small as a CHR? I'm out of touch with newer cars and definitely need some direction

ExtraQuiet
Apr 25, 2016

by Shine
ahh geez, i don't even know if im posting in the right place, i am not a 'car guy', it's my first time in this forum and i couldn't find the chevy thread??

I have a basic 19' chevy equinox, AWD purchased at ~35K miles ($20k in jan 2020). it's currently at about 155K.
i've had all the service done as recommended through the dealer, and now the transmission is slipping a bit.

they're offering me $9k (dirty, smoker, but interior has no burns or stains, passenger seats have literally never been used)
i receive mileage reimbursement and i'm sitting on about $10k

so $19k is my budget according to the math. i require AWD, so chevy trax and chevy equinox are my starter options.
(a chevy cruze looks neat, i used to own a 2006 chevy cavalier and it owned bones, but i need the AWD.)

I am very basic, I do not require any extra features. remote start and that's it. i don't need the car beeping at me and blinking lights when someone in passing me and i dont need it to apply brakes for me or automatic highbeams, i need none of that nonsense in my life. basic works for me, thats why i zeroed in on the 19 model.

ive been to the dealership and everything they have is listed (for the same range i bought it back in early 2020) around $25k

i use my car for work, and would love an EV, as its the obvious solution, but our job routing doesn't guarantee that i'll have a place to juice up (400 rural mile days at times), and i dont have a garage, i have a car stall with no visible electric.

my other hang-up is seats. I have a bad back (lower spine) and chevy and dodge seats agree with me, buick seats sometimes, Hyundai and nissan seats hurt me.

my dealer tells me theres more new vehicles hitting the market, which means used price -should- go down.

---- the question

should i attempt to have the transmission fixed, and ride until the wheels fall off while collecting more mileage and losing trade in value? or should i trade in while im at 150K and eat the $5K to get another used equinox? is it a push at this point?
How far can an equinox go?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

moana posted:

Hi thread, after buying a Miata and a Prius I am back for another recommendation.

Proposed Budget
: $15k, flexible
New or Used: Used
Body Style: probably 2 door truck or station wagon or something. Open to suggestion. Needs to have a back seat I can put a booster in.
How will you be using the car?: I need to replace my 20 year old Elantra hatchback you all told me to get way back when (it has been delightful, thank you! but is now dying). We use the Elantra as a secondary errand-running car a few times a week. We also use it as a hauler. We don't like using the Prius for this because hey, it is a nice new car and we don't want to fill it with bags of dump trash and manure for the garden. A few trips each month, to the point where we've considered getting a truck just so I don't have to try and fit another couch or mulch pile into the back of the Elantra.
We currently fit our camping stuff into the Prius but man, it's tight and there's no room for the pizza oven. Would be nice to be able to use the new car/truck to haul our camping gear and bikes for trips (around 1x/month).

What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, cost of ownership. I'd love an electric or hybrid but I doubt any exist in the sub-15k range; however good mpg would be nice.

We sold the Miata, btw, it was lovely but I quit my job with the nice commute. It was so much fun though, and now my five year old points at every Porsche, Z4, and Lotus she sees on the road and says "Look! a Miata!" so thank you all for that.

Keep in mind that any true "2-door truck" is going to have an obscenely small back seat. They're better than the days of S10s and Rangers with sideways-facing jump-seats, but not by much. You won't get any sort of full car seat in one of these and a booster might even be tight.

There's a reason that crew cabs are vastly more common now. If you really want an extended cab instead of a crew cab, resign yourself to the fact that it can haul your significant other and your kid around together for now, but unless all three of you are particularly short, that won't be the case for long.

Anyway, unfortunately for you, trucks command a premium now even more than ever, so the first question really needs to be how badly do you want a bed instead of just a larger interior volume? Just picking through Autotrader by me, that price point gets you either a 10-year-old truck or a 10-year-old Honda Pilot, and I'd rather have the Pilot anytime I don't need either more than 3500lb towing capacity or an open bed.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

15k is a 10 year old truck and a shitload of miles. spend more and you get a 10 year old truck and maybe it will have less than 100k miles. And yeah those back seats in the 2 doors are meant to move people for about 5 minutes in a pinch. And after that 5 min you're going to want to walk the next time the 2door pickup asks you if you want a ride.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 13, 2022

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Go older, get a 40 year old squarebody crew cab.

fake edit: oh wait gas is $bezos. Nevermind.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Mustache Ride posted:

Also, if I had a kid I wouldn't commute with them in something that effectively has a negative 2 star crash rating.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mustache Ride posted:

Mildly curious if you come out ahead still if you pay to swap in a more fuel efficient engine

At least you can find parts for 30+ yo trucks, even if you need to dig through a junkyard

Minus the fact that classic cars are a deathtrap in a wreck, a lot of the sub $40k ones are sort of good value now, weirdly

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Are trucks cheaper with crazy gas prices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Are trucks cheaper with crazy gas prices?

so far? lol

That isn’t what happened last time gas went high.