Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Thank you, that's the guy. nothing on bitcoin though? drat

That video goes through the whole Crypto space*, from bitcoin to the bored ape yacht club.

*like a tornado through a trailer park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

wyoak posted:

thats not how the moon works!
My first grade teacher would not believe me about seeing the moon during recess, I blame Goodnight Moon.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
Albania had a civil war over Ponzi schemes collapsing. I wonder what Bitcoin is going to do.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Was trying to discuss bitcoin with a regulator recently, and he keep trying to come up with metaphors like “imagine bitcoins are tokens of Chuck E. Cheese“ and we kept having to go backwards because there is no currency less useful then online points.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Just to be clear, that pension fund invested in the company, not the crypto.

Basically they wanted to be on the scammer side, not the scammed side.

Still bad obviously

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

HappyHippo posted:

Just to be clear, that pension fund invested in the company, not the crypto.

Basically they wanted to be on the scammer side, not the scammed side.

Still bad obviously

What a return on investment!!

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

MickeyFinn posted:

Albania had a civil war over Ponzi schemes collapsing. I wonder what Bitcoin is going to do.

Not to nitpick, but Albania was in the process of ditching a Stalinist government when that happened, and the economy was basically nothing but ponzi schemes at that point.

I listened to the Lions Led By Donkeys episode on this and hoo boy, it's a wild ride

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Squinky v2.0 posted:

It’s not a bank run, it’s just that the bank doesn’t have enough money for all the people trying to withdraw their money

Obviously you're going to have to deposit more money if you want to have a chance of getting any of your money out of the bank.

Why are you looking at me like that?

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Durzel posted:

Indeed.

On a similar note I just saw a /r/wallstreetbets post with a headline that said “There’s going to be a global food shortage. Here’s how you can make money from it”. Lovely.

“Dad, how did you become successful?”
“Well, son, when most of the world was struggling to put food on the table, relying on food banks, and choosing whether to heat their homes, fill up their car, or eat - your father saw an opportunity.”

Isn't that cute, the minnows want to be profiteers just like the whales.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Scratch Monkey posted:

Which robo do you use? I use Wealthfront and while they do see to dabble in crypto as far as I can tell none of the funds my money is in are there. All I have there is a rollover IRA though.

I'm in Canada and was with Wealthsimple and they were trumpeting their addition of crypto buying and selling and I just got nervous that their funds might contain it. Also I got a proper financial adviser now so just moved everything over.

It was probably going to be fine but their whole boisterous "now you can buy CRYPTO!" blasting me with emails really soured me on them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Crypto is great because it’s immune to other market forces!

Also crypto

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

HolHorsejob posted:

Not to nitpick, but Albania was in the process of ditching a Stalinist government when that happened, and the economy was basically nothing but ponzi schemes at that point.

I listened to the Lions Led By Donkeys episode on this and hoo boy, it's a wild ride

Ohh yeah, we are lucky crypto didn’t get that large. But plenty of people are going to be poorer for this, some of them are going to be really angry, and the US has a lot of guns. That is a good recipe for problems.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hey, it's independently falling five times faster than the market, that's nothing to scoff at

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

MickeyFinn posted:

Ohh yeah, we are lucky crypto didn’t get that large. But plenty of people are going to be poorer for this, some of them are going to be really angry, and the US has a lot of guns. That is a good recipe for problems.

I mean, the only people they can realistically target is Matt Damon and Gary Vee. Everyone else is ape avatar on Twitter or overseas

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Hey, it's independently falling five times faster than the market, that's nothing to scoff at

:hmmyes:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

tpink posted:

Thanks!!

sure thing, I especially like the episodes with Travis Kimmel ( their funniest guest), David Gerard, and Doomberg if you haven’t listened to those yet

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 13, 2022

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Thundercracker posted:

I mean, the only people they can realistically target is Matt Damon and Gary Vee. Everyone else is ape avatar on Twitter or overseas

Don’t forget Tom Brady

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wifi Toilet posted:

Don’t forget Tom Brady

Tom Brady won't let me no matter how hard I try

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Tom Brady won't let me no matter how hard I try

next time you'll think twice about counting him out

we all will

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
How has there not been a bigger spotlight on these companies halting withdrawals? Or is that expected behavior for all this?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
back under 23k, let's fukken goooooooo

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

here we go, all the east coast 9-5ers are getting home and bailing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It is fun that the market for this goes all day unlike the stock market. But the stock market can have some big drama when something plunges immediately on opening.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

How has there not been a bigger spotlight on these companies halting withdrawals? Or is that expected behavior for all this?

From whom?

Most of the mainstream news articles I’ve read today have titles such as “X exchange halts trading as Bitcoin drops below Y”. The info is out there.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Nessus posted:

I'm hoping Schwab doesn't touch the poop.

Every financial institution and hedge fund with a high frequency trading algorithm has been balls deep in the poop since CNBC started running bitcoin on its tickers because they can front run the pyjama traders running their homebrew desktop bots

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

LETS loving GOOOOOO

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Is there a list of key levels for margin calls etc?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Rabbi T. White posted:

LETS loving GOOOOOO

What’s the opposite of to the moon ?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sophy Wackles posted:

Is there a list of key levels for margin calls etc?

$21k apparently for this guy: https://saylortracker.com/

$18k for Celsius.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Hughmoris posted:

I think its expected. I mean, what's even the angle? Completely unregulated scam market keeps on scamming idiots? News might as well talk about Nigerian prince scams at th that point.

Like a part of a human interest story is It Could Happen to Youuuuu. Talking about investments that no one understands and a minute fraction of viewers are bought into is not a ratings getter.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MarcusSA posted:

Aimed for the moon, ended up crashing into the sun

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
noom

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

from the sun, cause these dum dums are getting burnt

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

It feels weird to link a tweet that screenshots YOSPOS but I didn’t see anything here earlier re: Bitfinex, Tether, and the money printer:

https://twitter.com/LizRummy/status/1536422622287773696?s=20&t=MkwqtMsKkps8828QUnUDGQ

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Tonight’s crypto.com commercials during the nba finals will give a brand new audience front row tickets to this train wreck

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

MarcusSA posted:

Crypto is great because it’s immune to other market forces!

Also crypto

It seriously is like the worst of both worlds - crypto prices generally move in the same direction as equities, EXCEPT WORSE.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Booyah- posted:

sure thing, I especially like the episodes with Travis Kimmel ( their funniest guest), David Gerard, and Doomberg if you haven’t listened to those yet

I haven't yet, so adding them to my to-listen list, thank you!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

It feels weird to link a tweet that screenshots YOSPOS but I didn’t see anything here earlier re: Bitfinex, Tether, and the money printer:

https://twitter.com/LizRummy/status/1536422622287773696?s=20&t=MkwqtMsKkps8828QUnUDGQ

Yeah I read that last night and it’s a fantastic explanation of things.

Shits so so dumb

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I read that last night and it’s a fantastic explanation of things.

Shits so so dumb

queue a million people with .eth twitter handles saying that it’s just like the regular banking system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

The previous title I think said straight to hell.

The hodl elevator will bring them to the secret 10th lair.