Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

1. Rift Wizard
2. Grand Cross Renovation
3. Doom 64
4. Elden Ring
5. Rolling Gunner Overpower
6. Sekiro
7. Blazing Chrome
8. Contra Hard Corps
9. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
10. RimWorld
11. Dodonpachi Saidaioujou

1CC Novice / Type A / Shot. I'm still a mediocre shmup guy so even baby mode took me a while. I used to think this game was bad but I've changed my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

the summer of PlatinumGames

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

bees x1000 posted:

1. Rift Wizard
2. Grand Cross Renovation
3. Doom 64
4. Elden Ring
5. Rolling Gunner Overpower
6. Sekiro
7. Blazing Chrome
8. Contra Hard Corps
9. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
10. RimWorld
11. Dodonpachi Saidaioujou

1CC Novice / Type A / Shot. I'm still a mediocre shmup guy so even baby mode took me a while. I used to think this game was bad but I've changed my mind.

you ever play ddp dai fukkatsu. It loving owns.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

In Training posted:

you ever play ddp dai fukkatsu. It loving owns.

Yeah, I've put a lot of hours into Resurrection.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Yakuza 0. incredible game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Fugg yeah.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

AARD VARKMAN posted:

one of the best

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
1. elden ring
2. disco elysium

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

1. elden ring
2. disco elysium

How you like it?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

I got the tude now posted:

How you like it?

its really good. im going to have to play it again because i missed probably half the game

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

1. Returnal (True ending):
2. Katamari Damacy:
3. The Last of Us 2:
4. Demon Souls Remake:
5. Elden Ring:
6. Marvel's Spider-Man:
7. Batman: Arkham Asylum: I think this was maybe the first game I played on Playstation 3 and was never able to beat the final boss. This time I decided to play on Hard mode without the counter notifications and really get to grips with the combat system. I think the combat is easily the strongest part of the game and ultimately kind of carried the rest of the game for me. I loved the first third or so of the game, up until a certain stealth mechanic was introduced pretty much. I loved the combat, the Asylum has a really fun comic book vibe and I liked the calmer sections of the game where your'e exploring and getting to grips with the location. I think my only issue early on was finding it a bit jarring how Batman controls out of combat. He moves a bit like a tank and takes up a large part of the screen. I got used to it after a while though and didn't mind though I still wish it was less of a difference between the two gameplay types.

The stealth I initially quite liked, as you take guys out the remaining ones get more panicked and act more erratically. It felt very cool as a player and also like a very Batman thing to be preying on enemies fear. I think it ended up making stealth a chore though. Enemies will start bunching up and walk back to back for ages so you can't make a move on them. In stealth sections all enemies have guns and on Hard Mode can kill you in two or three shots. Normally if you're spotted you grapple hook back onto these perches around the room where enemies can't find you. However on Hard Mode enemies can easily kill you the second they see you and as you land back on the perch. So getting seen was usually a death sentence. Stealth ended up becoming a matter of waiting ages for enemies to isolate themselves again. The real issue though that made me start to dread stealth sections was every enemy is given a suicide collar that starts playing a loud noise when you take them down, then every enemy nearby instantly runs to where they are. It makes it so there is no way to stealthily takedown a few guys before people notice and really grinds the pace to a halt. Every stealth encounter ends up reduced to a super long waiting game as the best methods to deal with guys are the safest. There's not really a high risk high reward option, only high risk low reward or low risk high reward but very slow.

The final third of the game was pretty bad, a bunch of stealth sections interspersed with a bunch of boss fights which were the other big issue I had with the game. You fight I think 4 or five versions of the same big dude who runs at you then stuns himself on a wall when you dodge, with various amounts of mooks thrown in throughout. The boss fights that weren't like this were also pretty bad. Killer Croc is a boring QuickTime event where you walk around for 10 minutes picking flowers tapping one button now and then. Poison Ivy was unique but probably my most loathed encounter by far and I briefly considered stopping playing when she revealed a phase 2 that had a tonne of mooks thrown in.

I think the combat throughout was a shining star with a bunch of enemy types that really made you think about how best to handle them to max your combo. However the game was surprisingly stingy with just straight up fights. There weren't that many overall and probably half them had some gimmick like the big guys who charge you which meant you couldn't actually have a fun flow going. You'd have to hit and run to make sure you could dodge the charges. I loved the combat challenges though, they to me were perfect. Just you getting to fight a tonne of dudes and trying to maximise your combo and do the fight hitless. Super fun and challenging and really let the combat engine shine. I feel the combat is 90% there and I wish it had been 100% for the challenges to be as absurdly satisfying as possible. In game the few niggles I had with combat didn't matter at all but on those high challenges it could be a bit annoying.

I've decided to move on to Arkham City instead of trying to 100% things. I remember when I played Uncharted I didn't like it that much gameplay wise but then ended up loving 2 despite being quite similar. In that game they just got all the little things right and polished the few rough edges and refined some ideas they had. It sounds like I'm very negative on Asylum but I feel it's only a few small changes away from being really great and I'm hoping that's what City will be for me.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I liked the combat in Arkham City more but you were way better at the combat than me and I was definitely more interested in finding all the riddles and stuff, lol. City adds a lot more stuff you can use to extend your combos, so I'll be interested to see if you like it even more or if you feel like it waters it down.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

I liked the combat in Arkham City more but you were way better at the combat than me and I was definitely more interested in finding all the riddles and stuff, lol. City adds a lot more stuff you can use to extend your combos, so I'll be interested to see if you like it even more or if you feel like it waters it down.

I actually quite like the riddle stuff! The exploring was fun and I liked having to figure out which item or area to scan for the non-trophy riddles. It's also nice you can collect them all at the end when you have all the gear so you don't need to worry "can I get this or am I missing a tool" when you find one.

I think the combat worked great in the game itself as losing a long combo there just meant a bit less xp. In the challenges I think it had some shortcomings that could be a bother. The takedown move was great but seemed to fail a lot and break your combo if you were near a wall. If you hit a knife guy mid combo without stunning him first your combo instantly ended even if you took no damage. Certain arenas also just had issues with guys easily running off screen and you not being able to reach them in a combo anymore and so on. Stuff that's not really an issue but when you need those super long combos on challenges could end up feeling a bit lame. I was definitely still improving a tonne and far from great at the combat though. I know Go5 beat all this challenges with full medals when she played them.

I mainly moved on to City because I hoped it would clear up any issues I did have with the game. One shortcoming in Asylum was enemies really only attacked one at a time as Batman could only counter one at a time and I heard City allows multiple counters at a time which sounds cool!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

15. Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, 100%. Finished this last year but picked it up again to do all the challenge missions, the last 10 or so we're just abjectly miserable. Combat way overtuned for how chunky the game feels. But the road to Total KH Knowledge battles ever onward, hoping Birth By Sleep is cool.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
BBS rules

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

BBS is my second favorite KH game, after KH2FM+.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

I mainly moved on to City because I hoped it would clear up any issues I did have with the game. One shortcoming in Asylum was enemies really only attacked one at a time as Batman could only counter one at a time and I heard City allows multiple counters at a time which sounds cool!

Oh yeah, the second game is great at this. you can fly around rooftops outside and sort of decide how large a group of guys you're willing to fight, it owns.

also, a lot more of the riddles are like timed mini-games, which is fun.

I think you'll like it!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

This. Command fusion ftw

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

Oh yeah, the second game is great at this. you can fly around rooftops outside and sort of decide how large a group of guys you're willing to fight, it owns.

also, a lot more of the riddles are like timed mini-games, which is fun.

I think you'll like it!

I started it last night and immediately the combat felt much faster and snappier, got owned a bit while I acclimatised to the changed rhythm. Enjoyed it so much I went back to Asylum to finish the combat challenges lol, just put me in a great mood for the series. Want to close of Asylum fully before moving on as I have a feeling it'll be hard to revisit after the sequels

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Devoted this year to finishing the Yakuza series and a few other games but my plan for next year is to tackle my gaming backlog, and the third Arkham game is first on the list

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Drew Curtis’ Eternal Farkness

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Final Fantasy IV Advance (100% Bestiary, all summons)

I'd never completed the bonus dungeon before so I figured what the hell. Probably the worst version of the game thanks to all the bugs. The ATB is completely messed up, inputs in battle are sometimes just ignored, and something's wrong with the RNG behind enemy encounters - you need to fight a minimum of 30 battles in any given area to run into everything, which makes completing the bestiary a pain. Supposedly these are fixed in the PSP version so maybe I'll check that out without the sirens after I play TAY.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

it's truly incredible how many bad decisions go into most of the ports for final fantasy 4

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

it's truly incredible how many bad decisions go into most of the ports for final fantasy 4

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i only learned very recently that the after years crap was also ported to the hideous ff4 ds remake engine

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

lets go ceodore AND brandon :smugbird:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mysterious loyall X posted:

Lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
the best part of that version is they realized their big end of game plot twist was extremely stupid so they just unceremoniously removed all of it

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

1. Yakuza 0
2. Elden Ring
3. Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin
4. Triangle Strategy (Update)

Finished the golden ending route on Hard. Had an absolutely great time. I really hope Team Asano makes another tactics RPG sometime, this was much better than Octopath in every way. This is definitely a game I'll replay again at some point.

5. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
6. Trials of Mana (2020 Remake)

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Harrow posted:

1. Yakuza 0
2. Elden Ring
3. Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin
4. Triangle Strategy (Update)

Finished the golden ending route on Hard. Had an absolutely great time. I really hope Team Asano makes another tactics RPG sometime, this was much better than Octopath in every way. This is definitely a game I'll replay again at some point.

5. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
6. Trials of Mana (2020 Remake)

I’ve started playing Triangle Strategy. Almost upset I bought it at first, but the game gets a lot better after the first three chapters or so.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah unless you're immediately into its setting and exposition the demo chapters can be a real turn off but it definitely improves a lot from there.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

gently caress yeah

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

herculon posted:

I’ve started playing Triangle Strategy. Almost upset I bought it at first, but the game gets a lot better after the first three chapters or so.

On replay in ng+ it's a lot better because the early battles are more interesting/difficult, especially on hard. Hopefully you'll feel inclined to do so because this game really shines on ng+ replays imo, not that the first go around isn't great of course

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The first battle on NG+ Hard is absolutely brutal, Trish is a monster

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

devil summoner soul hackers, extra mode raidou + raido, soulless god is too hard lol

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dicey Dungeons - All Challenges + All Halloween Episodes

Not sure what made me want to replay this game but this time I managed what I never did on my first playthrough and actually finished the Witch's elimination round, which then inspired me to get every last little challenge to 100% the game. It was a lot of fun.

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

1. arceus
2. elden ring
3. ratchet and clank: rift apart
4. cyberpunk 2077

i'd never bothered trying to play this until recently--i picked up the ps4 version for like 10 bucks and did the free upgrade to the ps5 version. i guess a few months back they released their big next-gen patch something or other? i was honestly surprised how insanely buggy this game still is lol. thankfully none of mine were like, game-ruining or anything, but i couldn't believe how many times i had to exit/re-load due to some weird minor ui, or subtitle or sound glitch.
probably a solid 7 out of a 10 experience baked in there thouigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!

EmmyOk posted:

I actually quite like the riddle stuff! The exploring was fun and I liked having to figure out which item or area to scan for the non-trophy riddles. It's also nice you can collect them all at the end when you have all the gear so you don't need to worry "can I get this or am I missing a tool" when you find one.

I think the combat worked great in the game itself as losing a long combo there just meant a bit less xp. In the challenges I think it had some shortcomings that could be a bother. The takedown move was great but seemed to fail a lot and break your combo if you were near a wall. If you hit a knife guy mid combo without stunning him first your combo instantly ended even if you took no damage. Certain arenas also just had issues with guys easily running off screen and you not being able to reach them in a combo anymore and so on. Stuff that's not really an issue but when you need those super long combos on challenges could end up feeling a bit lame. I was definitely still improving a tonne and far from great at the combat though. I know Go5 beat all this challenges with full medals when she played them.

i like city more because despite being a lot more disjointed, it lets you use every gadget as a quickfire attack to use in combat, and the riddles implement more lateral thinking use of your gadgets, and theres a billion more riddles, which were my favorite part of asylum. some of them are some trivial bs like grappling it to take it but a bunch of others are really neat little puzzles. loved that poo poo. the story is stupid crap tho lol