Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Onehandclapping posted:

the puzzles were a decent idea, I liked the sudoku as a few minutes time waster and the visualize a dice roll thing. They would've been downright serviceable if CA had taken out whatever the hellfuck was that puzzle that wanted you to mentally spin several concentric circles at the same time and the one or two sudoku's that had multiple answers.

That stupid guide is likely the most popular thing I have ever or will ever create, which probably tells you how much people like the puzzles. It's apparently the top rated guide for WH2 ten times over :psyduck:

Wallet fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Wallet posted:

That stupid guide is likely the most popular thing I have ever or will ever create, which probably tells you how much people like the puzzles. It's apparently the top rated guide for WH2 ten times over :psyduck:

You are doing Sigmar’s work.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I still have no idea how to do those puzzles, i read the guides but i have no loving clue. I've picked up on other games puzzles really fast but for some reason i just cannot wrap my head around those stupid puzzles--likely because they don't move so you need to visualize moving them.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

The dice ones are stupidly easy but I don't bother even trying with the other ones, I really should just mod them out

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The only change I'd make to the 3k character system is making the officers not count as units for the unit count. A Total War stack is supposed to be 20 units, having 3 of them be generals makes my army look smaller. It's not about the killing power of Guan Yu vs another 250 peasant stack, it's about there being a lot of men on screen.

Also let us customize the retinue for Records.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Honestly the "puzzles" would have been a million times better if you could just interact with them. The concentric rings one was trivial... if you had Photoshop open in the next window. The sudoku-y one also would have been doable if I didn't have to whip out graph paper and four colors of markers for it, but could just actually interact with the game board being displayed.

Idk if that would be enough to make them not an utter timewaster, but at least doable.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Well the problem is there's no feedback on what they want you to do, here's a series of colors and dots and you only get 1 loving chance to figure out wtf you're supposed to do with them. We won't show you the correct answer so you know what you were supposed to do instead here's another puzzle that we also won't tell you what the goal is.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
The sudoku one doesn't have enough pieces to be difficult. They're all pretty trivial except for the bullshit stone circles with the spaghetti maze. gently caress my neck trying to navigate it every time.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I draw lines out from inner and outer circles for one color and just count spaces on the outside then guess one.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Rats: their historically strongest clan has exactly the same theme as Nurgle and is ruled by a dude called Nurglitch
Rat fans: NOOOOOOOO making skaven a chaos faction is a total GW retcon, loving end times

also the avatar of the great horned rat (which is oddly missing from TWW2) has always been considered a demon

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Now that you mention it it is odd we never got the Verminlord. I can only assume they're all off taunting thanquol.

Speaking off, now that we can 3 hostile factions in a single battle it would be great if his capstone ability was to summon a Verminlord.... except half the time you get a very angry bloodthirster.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Verminlords are almost assuredly going to drop alongside Thanquol, since they're obviously reserving him for WH3.

Meanwhile, Kislev is just SO loving cool. The major settlements are actually really nice to fight in, because there's a lot of places to put artillery, archers, streltsi, etc., that allows you to have them constantly laying fire into things on the walls or in the streets. Backed up by a few towers that have good arcs and you can absolutely poo poo on a besieging force.

It's immensely satisfying to watch your lines open up with powder, arrows, etc. and then turn around to beat the poo poo out of whatever horrible poo poo is coming your way. I'm really eager to play them in IE.

EDIT: From this thread on reddit:

quote:

I've found this text in the game file (Immortal Empires related)

Labeled as "Immortal Empires Intro mission for Nkari":

We must maintain a secure a foothold if our influence is to spread throughout all of Ulthuan.

Labeled as "Immortal Empires Intro mission for Wulfrik":

We should secure the landmass on this side of the Ulthuan channel so that we have multiple ports to launch an assault from.

and

Tiranoc currently defends the westen coastline of Ulthuan, decimate them to stake your claim.

The poor High Elves will have a hard time in IE!

So it looks like Wulfrik is moving out of Norsca and is going to start out loving about on Ulthuan (which may or may not be new info? Idk). We already knew N'Kari was gonna be starting there, as well, but it looks like Alarielle is really going to have a hard time with her mechanic at the start. Given how much the High Elves infight in ME, which can give Morathi room to roll over them... yeah that could be very interesting.

So either the Prince starts in Norsca (as he dies in RoC), or elsewhere... and that leaves room for more Norscan lords?

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jun 11, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Referring to landmass on the Ulthuan channel it almost sounds like Wulfrik could be in Skeggi? The Dome intensifies. I hope Nkari and Wulfrik fare better as AIs than Grom, in any case.

Iirc Skeggi's landmark is pretty dope too.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Referring to landmass on the Ulthuan channel it almost sounds like Wulfrik could be in Skeggi? The Dome intensifies. I hope Nkari and Wulfrik fare better as AIs than Grom, in any case.

Iirc Skeggi's landmark is pretty dope too.
Yeah Skeggi's landmark is why they can give Mazdamundi fits if they live long enough to get to build it. Iirc it gives them access to champions one or two tiers early, and buffs them some.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

According to Loremaster of Sotek, GW added a named Fimir Matriarch to the fantasy roleplaying game just recently, too, as well as (somewhat) more clearly defining Fimir culture. Whenever Norsca gets some DLC love, we may get a Fimir caster LL, possibly more Fimir in general.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 11, 2022

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

jokes posted:

Yeah the concentric circles one and the fact that rarely do you want to just leave ruins uncolonized means I rarely interact with the puzzles and when I do I just look up a guide even though I’ve done them a bunch.

Just get this mod that shows the solution when the puzzle pops up: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2285584617

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
SFO 0.5 was released yesterday, does anyone here play it?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

kanonvandekempen posted:

SFO 0.5 was released yesterday, does anyone here play it?

The campaign half was released, it's got a lot of menu configuration options now, including a handy buff toggler for all empires of a race in case you feel they're underperforming (ie. help the Empire out from getting steamrolled by Skrag). I can't really say how the campaign changes feel though, since I'm currently in an EU4 Anbennar hole, though I was playing the battle half of the overhaul for a month and liked the changes a lot.

Won't really be committing to a new playthrough until the blood DLC comes out though, or I get over myself about that.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Playing a modded Ice Court campaign, and this happened:

By the time my Kislevite forces arrived, Skarbrand's forces were almost done.

It was funny winning a battle by doing absolutely nothing.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

It’s also fun to make the AI lose a battle while doing absolutely nothing.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I crippled kugath while we both were in tzeentch's realm, while playing as n'kari. My major contribution to the fight was casting whips on kugath's units that weren't taking enough damage.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Is the first blog post on the next patch supposed to be tomorrow? Part of me wants it to be an incredibly detailed explanation on the Tzeentch and Slaneesh replenishment rate changes, just so the community can get really angry over something again.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Yeah there is a post tomorrow on the IE I thought. You wont need a 700 word post about replenishment to piss people off when CA reveals the IE map and it is not identical to the datamined one.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
"After months of work we ported over the replenishment Lord skill and included a 5% flat bonus" is still going to piss people off. I have no idea what they are doing to justify the time scale on what should be a quick fix. Maybe fixing how corruption works and tying them together?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

"After months of work we ported over the replenishment Lord skill and included a 5% flat bonus" is still going to piss people off. I have no idea what they are doing to justify the time scale on what should be a quick fix. Maybe fixing how corruption works and tying them together?

Yeah I feel like they really wanted corruption to be a significant factor in terms of things like that, which obviously is harder to balance than just flat replenishment changes.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Is the Mortal Empires campaign available yet. I played through about half of the native campaign for the game and pretty much hated it, so I stopped.

I could list the problems I had with it, but they boiled down to not actually having a reason to even bother expanding beyond two reasons, and the feeling I got that I was pretty much in a race against the AI to clear out what amounts to chaos portal dungeons.

And timed dungeon crawls are not really why I play TW games—not even close.

Anyway, I have been waiting, of course, for ME before I picked it up again.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

IE (it will be called Immortal Empires) not till fall, some news on it tomorrow.

Campaign has been toned down in patches but still there but there are mods to turn it off.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

So I just bought a gaming PC for the first time in a decade. I've always wanted to play TW: Warhammer but it sounds like 3 sucks? If I buy 2 is there DLC that's essential?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

TW2 is the better value buy right now, what with the free content they've added over the years. They're adding the combined campaign to TW3 soon so if you like how the game plays then eventually you'll want to pick up the other two games so you can you play the big map.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The most essential/best value DLC for game 2 is game 1. At next week’s Steam Sale they’ll probably run you ~$35 combined and last you for hundreds of hours without any further investment into DLC, and hundreds more with some.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Pershing posted:

So I just bought a gaming PC for the first time in a decade. I've always wanted to play TW: Warhammer but it sounds like 3 sucks? If I buy 2 is there DLC that's essential?

TW3 doesn't suck, but you'd definitely be better off get TW2 at the moment—there's just way more content thanks to all the paid and free DLC over its lifetime and the improvements that TW3 brings aren't that big. In a few months, they'll be releasing Immortal Empires, which allows you to link up all three games on one huge world map, and when that comes out, I think consensus will be that 3's better than 2, but before then, 2's going to get more bang for your buck.

As for essential DLC, the general consensus is that it's best to go by what factions seem interesting to you, with the exception of the Skaven who really need some of the roster from the DLC: either Prophet and the Warlock, Shadow and the Blade, or Twisted and the Twilight give you solid factions, but also give you some units that really make Skaven work. Rise of the Tomb Kings is well received, as is Curse of the Vampire Coast, which give entirely new races, but really, you can give it a shot with the base game, see what looks interesting to you, and get those DLC as you want them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The nice thing is most of the big changes are in the free patches in 2. The paid content is units, characters, and races, who still show up as AI if you haven't bought them. If something is desperately appealing you can get it, but really if you like the game and aren't playing constantly you can just wait for good deals without missing out. It's not a Paradox situation where basic things that make the game fun are locked in random DLCs.

I might still get 3 first, just because it's going to be full price while the older stuff (that will all integrate into the bigger better freeform map coming in a few months) will almost certainly go on sale cheaper and more often after they iron it out. Plus it's way less annoying to people who haven't put ludicrous amounts of hours into TWs recently. Base 2 is better especially with all the stuff on steam workshop, but if you have fun with the game and end up wanting DLCs and the big campaign 3 is prolly the most valuable way to spend your money. No correct answer really.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

3 actually has a good tutorial campaign as well

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Buy 2, enjoy game, it will all transfer to 3 some day

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Pershing posted:

2 is the best way to play TW:W currently. The first game functions as DLC for game 2, adding in the mega-campaign (and making the game-1 factions playable there). The DLC situation is complicated (because there's a shitload of it) but basically that's the only essential one. Everything else adds factions (no need to buy until you feel like playing as that particular race) or characters/units to the existing factions. The base-game Skaven are pretty mediocre, so if you're thinking of playing them you might want to grab one of their DLCs, but everything else is whenever.

Note that there's a shitload of free DLC, some of which can only be got by making an account on the CA forums or something like that (including the Brettonian faction). All the game 1 DLC carries over to game 2.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Pershing posted:

3 doesn't suck - it was just released early in what should have been a beta. There are significant QOL improvements over 2 - but although the factions will be good the factions are nowhere near ready enough.

The big thing about the Total Warhammer trilogy is that all three games (will) fit together into one giant ridiculous deathball of a map with all the factions from all games. Only 1 and 2 do this so far - and when 3 gets Immortal Empires there probably won't be much point in having 2 installed any more. But before that the TWW2 factions are just much more mature than TWW3. But wait for sales for both 1 and 2 (and their DLC).

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Thanks all. I'll wait for the next sale and get 1 and 2.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Immortal Empires Beta will be released in August.

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/intro-to-immortal-empires/

quote:

Access all 86 Legendary Lords from all three Total War: WARHAMMER titles.

Be’Lakor is now a Legendary Lord with his own faction.

Dedicated factions for a number of the older Legendary Lords, including: Grombrindal, Helman Ghorst, and Volkmar the Grim.
New starting locations for 29 of the older Legendary Lords.

Improved personal faction mechanics for a selection of the older Legendary Lords (such as Volkmar the Grim).

A new ‘Sea Lanes’ feature, which allow you to move armies between distant lands and continents—from one side of the map to the other—without leapfrogging them all the way across the map.

New dynamic end-game scenarios: randomised mid- to late-game challenges we’re introducing to challenge the late-game steamroll—where the player is so powerful that there’s little-to-no challenge left and less of a reason to complete the campaign. Think Greenskin invasions or resurgences of the undead, as a few examples…

Revamped victory conditions. Most players don’t end up finishing campaigns, and we want to give them better reasons—and a greater level of satisfaction—for doing so. As such, we’ve simplified the victory requirements into more meaningful objectives while avoiding any arbitrary playstyle requirements.

Corruption rework. Players will have new tools for spreading (or reducing) corruption through more active usage of their armies. Small amounts of natural reduction will also be available to uncorrupted factions.

8-player multiplayer campaigns. And as a bonus, only the host of an Immortal Empires multiplayer campaign needs to own all three games. Friends who only own WARHAMMER III will still be able to join the campaign, though their Legendary Lord choices will (naturally) be limited to the ones they own.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
There's some good stuff in there drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Electronico6 posted:

New dynamic end-game scenarios: randomised mid- to late-game challenges we’re introducing to challenge the late-game steamroll—where the player is so powerful that there’s little-to-no challenge left and less of a reason to complete the campaign. Think Greenskin invasions or resurgences of the undead, as a few examples…

Seems they liked that end-game crisis mod.

kanonvandekempen fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 14, 2022